PDA

View Full Version : Saving Money with Food (to dehydrate or not to dehydrate?)

timsuxx
01-05-2016, 15:12
Hey guys, new to this forum! I'm really excited about doing the AT, but I'm worried money is going to be an issue... I've been looking for the cheapest ways to feed yourself on the trail, and I'm noticing pre-dehydrated meals are NOT the way to go... I read in an AT book that dehydrating and vacuum sealing your own meals are the best option. What are everyones views on that? I was looking at the prices of dehydrators and vacuum sealers, and they are going to cost around $300 total! (But a plus side, my mom cooks a lot and I was thinking the next two months would be a good opportunity to dehydrate meals for free! Not to mention she will probably be prone to cook for me while I'm on the trail ;))

Vegan Packer
01-05-2016, 16:04
I dehydrate, but I don't vacuum seal. I just use ziplock type bags. You can always find dehydrators online for about $50 or just above that. Many people buy them, try them once or twice, and then get rid of them after having them sit around, not being used for a long time.

One Half
01-05-2016, 16:31
instead of vac sealing you can always use mylar bags and O2 absorbers. You can get various size bags (qt, gallon) with or without a zip seal (heat seal them with an iron and resealable on the trail with the zip) and with or without gusseted bottoms. just do a google for discount mylar bags

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2016, 18:42
As your main concern is economics, not dietary restrictions or requirements, be sure to factor in the cost of shipping. A typical thru-hike would require 20 +/- mail drops at approx. $20 postage each = $800 [EDIT $400] in addition to the cost of the food. [Even so, $400 is a lot of postage costs that could go to buy actual food]. It is almost always cheaper and more flexible to buy food as you go. Finding food on the AT isn't a problem. You can get fresh food that way as well, buy what you want when you want it, and if you don't finish you won't have a pile of dehydrated food, or boxes scattered at PO's up and down the trail, and, and, and . . .

Slo-go'en
01-05-2016, 18:58
If your going to store the dehydrated food for any length of time, I would recommend using the vacuum sealer.

You can of course, dehydrate in your oven at very low heat, but the energy cost might be larger then a dedicated dehyrater.

There are other factors to consider. How much food do you want to prepare before hand? What happens if you prepare 5 months of food and end up only hiking for a month? And if you don't prepare all the food in advance, who's going to do that for you as you go along?

Then you also have to have said meals mailed to you so now you are forced to be in town when the PO is open and time the mailings properly so they get there when you need them. Say you get to town where you mail drop is on Saturday afternoon after the PO closes. Now you have to hang out and spend money until Monday morning. Mailing a lot of packages starts to get expensive too.

When it's all said and done, your probably not going to save much, and may cost more, by making your own dehydrated meals. Buying food at the Dollar General when ever possible is what most all AT hikers end up doing.

BTW, I hiked with a guy back in 2008 for a while who had the trail name "Y2K" because all his meals were dehydrated by someone who thought the end of the world would come on Jan 1, 2000. He got pretty tired of them after about a month.

timsuxx
01-05-2016, 18:59
Thanks guys. I think I'll avoid the vacuum sealer and try the O2 absorbers and zip lock bags. Shoot, I didn't even think about how expensive it'd be to ship that much.. really though, $800 just to ship out, not including the contents? That's way too much.. I was expecting about $5/package and about 15-20 drops... I guess I'll whip up a test package and see how much it costs? Thanks for the heads up 4eyed

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2016, 19:20
Thanks guys. I think I'll avoid the vacuum sealer and try the O2 absorbers and zip lock bags. Shoot, I didn't even think about how expensive it'd be to ship that much.. really though, $800 just to ship out, not including the contents? That's way too much.. I was expecting about $5/package and about 15-20 drops... I guess I'll whip up a test package and see how much it costs? Thanks for the heads up 4eyedEXCUSE MY POOR MATH! Make that $400 (20x20) This Dain Bramage is a killer . . .

Large flat rate Priority box (12x12x6 and up to 70lbs) is currently $17.90, but will increase on Jan 17th to ???. I've heard $19.75 or so. Non flat rate at similar sizes and with normal food weights will typically be equal or more. Standard Post (old Parcel Post) isn't much cheaper (if at all) and cannot be forwarded for free like Priority, besides often being slower and less reliable. You would have to pay to have it forwarded or returned.

If you're hiking frugally, you can probably hike a long way on $400 in trail food bought along the way.

Check out this thread and the OP's video http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115796-money?p=2029099&highlight=#post2029099 and expenses https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iE9R3gK716zA4OLwyswPyjPX5y3DR93BMVJeNYrkWT0/edit?pref=2&pli=1 but keep in mind he had lots of help from family/friends with freebie shuttles, lodging, meals along the way

Also this by Weathercarrot regarding his 2003 hike (factor in inflation) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/177-Ideas-for-an-Inexpensive-Thru-hike-(Hiker-Advice)

Sir Setsalot
01-05-2016, 20:03
If you really want to be frugal along the trail, get you a book on wild edibles. I just bought a dehydrator but after setting down and crunching numbers and all I don't think this is the way to go for me. So I took it back. I am still going to get boxes shipped to me, but they will be goody boxes. You could do You Tube videos along the way and everyone will send trail magic to you.

pafarmboy
01-05-2016, 20:26
Alternate thought on cheap food....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108228-Cold-water-quot-cooking-quot-Finally-reached-the-cal-oz-goal!!-And-it-s-CHEAP!?highlight= (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108228-Cold-water-quot-cooking-quot-Finally-reached-the-cal-oz-goal!!-And-it-s-CHEAP!?highlight=)

I've used this after adjusting to 5.5 ounces of cereal and 2.5 ounces of powdered milk. If using.....

Pack cereal in freezer bag ziplock. Pack powdered milk in quart ziplock. Water mixed with powder fits perfect in quart container.
Pretty dang good with cold water. Decent with "been in my pack all day" water.

Other tips...
Seems to soften cereal much quicker than regular milk does. Be ready to eat as soon as mixing cereal with milk.
Bring a soup spoon.
Learn how to drink out of a ziplock without spilling everything on your shirt.

Slo-go'en
01-05-2016, 20:52
If you really want to be frugal along the trail, get you a book on wild edibles.

Good luck with that. You'll starve to death trying to forge for food along the AT. Dumpster diving is more productive, takes less time and energy.

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2016, 21:03
Good luck with that. You'll starve to death trying to forge for food along the AT. Dumpster diving is more productive, takes less time and energy.Hiker boxes - the AT's answer to dumpster diving.

HDLV
01-05-2016, 21:17
I have just started dehydrating for my thru and made more than a month worth of hummus (in 6 flavors) for about $60. Of course we will have to add tortillas or something to eat them on. The big difference between sending yourself stuff and buying on the trail will be nutrition/ variety. I plan on doing chilies, curry, Thai dishes and more for dinners. If you can cook a dehydrator may be worth it. I do use a vacuum with O2 packets as I won't be taking off till June.

timsuxx
01-05-2016, 21:43
Thanks HDLV, I'd love to get some recipes for those. I've been checking out that MrBabelFish5 YouTube, and he has some pretty great ideas.

RangerZ
01-05-2016, 22:46
Thanks HDLV, I'd love to get some recipes for those. I've been checking out that MrBabelFish5 YouTube, and he has some pretty great ideas.

His beef chili mac is great. I'm making his Aztec chicken or jambalaya next.

MuddyWaters
01-05-2016, 23:16
That's way too much.. I was expecting about $5/package and about 15-20 drops... I guess I'll whip up a test package and see how much it costs? Thanks for the heads up 4eyed

I christen thee with the trailname "Rumpelstiltskin" You obviously just woke up from a 25 yr nap.

Tuckahoe
01-06-2016, 07:49
I have both a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. I got them not because I thought they would save me a lot of money, but becaue in a sense they are big boy toys. They allow me to make my own food, in the manner, flavors and portions that I want, all the while enjoying the DIY preperation for a hike. Then being able to enjoy the fruits of that labor on the trail.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2016, 08:10
Dehydrating saves you money on food consumption at home, but the shipping costs do make shipping yourself food, regardless of type, much more expensive than just buying food on the road.

If you're into saving money, I'd still consider dehydrating, but for at home use; I still have tons of foodstuff, like tomatoes... from last year. I have a large batch of onions I'm getting ready to dehydrate, otherwise I'd be throwing them out. It's a major problem throughout the world https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/this-is-how-much-food-is-thrown-out-in-the-eu-each-year/

Sir Setsalot
01-06-2016, 10:26
If you really want to be frugal along the trail, get you a book on wild edibles.

Good luck with that. You'll starve to death trying to forge for food along the AT. Dumpster diving is more productive, takes less time and energy.

You mean to tell me you can't supplement your food supply with wild edibles. What are all those people eating berries , getting them from the stores. Dandelions grow everywhere. Cattails are also edible throughout the year just different parts. Daylillies taste like green beans. I have seen pics of chicken of the woods mushrooms that people just walk by they are delish. I wasn't saying to rely solely on foraging, they wanted to know how to cut costs.

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2016, 10:33
You mean to tell me you can't supplement your food supply with wild edibles. What are all those people eating berries , getting them from the stores. Dandelions grow everywhere. Cattails are also edible throughout the year just different parts. Daylillies taste like green beans. I have seen pics of chicken of the woods mushrooms that people just walk by they are delish. I wasn't saying to rely solely on foraging, they wanted to know how to cut costs.If one were to do this, they would need to become educated and perhaps even carry an identification guide. Many poisonous plants look like their benign edible cousins. This warning obviously extends to mushrooms as well.

coach lou
01-06-2016, 10:35
I have both a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. I got them not because I thought they would save me a lot of money, but becaue in a sense they are big boy toys. They allow me to make my own food, in the manner, flavors and portions that I want, all the while enjoying the DIY preperation for a hike. Then being able to enjoy the fruits of that labor on the trail.

I absolutely 2nd what Tuck is saying!!! All about making it your way. Do not look to make a killing in savings.

Gambit McCrae
01-06-2016, 10:37
I watched an Asian hike nobo on youtube several years ago. His mom was cooking him stuff as iff he was there, dehydrating it and mailing his food supplies. So it was like he was eating panda express every day on the trail...lucky guy

Took me several tries but my number one tip is that presoak is essential to both fuel consumption as well as tenderness, that as well as small food pieces prior to dehydrating,

perrymk
01-06-2016, 11:28
Along the lines of dehydrating is buying in bulk either dehydrated and freeze dried ingredients and preparing one's own boil-n-soak aka freezer bag cooking meals. I've ordered from Emergency Essentials (http://beprepared.com/)and find they have a pretty good variety. In the interest of disclosure I am only an occasional customer and have no other affiliation with them.

timsuxx
01-08-2016, 16:25
Thanks guys. Which vacuum sealer would you recommend? I really need to find a cheap one that can seal large portions at once. I plan to fill my 9 tray up and would like to seal the whole batch up at once. Any suggestions for alternative methods would be greatly appreciated!

Tuckahoe
01-08-2016, 17:07
I have this Seal-a-Meal model -- http://www.amazon.com/Seal-a-Meal-FSSMSL0160-000-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B008HMWC4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452286342&sr=8-1&keywords=seal+a+meal

It was a Christmas gift last year and I am very happy with it. It has worked very well for me sealing all sorts of things from meals to DIY instant 3-n-1 coffee. I find that Ziploc brand vacuum bags work the best, over the other brand bags.

HeartFire
01-08-2016, 20:37
I cook and dehydrate all my meals - buying in town vs mailing - I'd love to see real figures on it. But, it does come down to why you are doing it as to which method will work. I'm personally all about being a vegetarian, and eating healthy - I doubt I would ever eat anything available in a gas station or dollar store. My food is mostly organic, whole foods, free of any chemicals or preservatives, so for me, the cost of postage is not even considered. Postage is cheaper on click and ship if you pay and print on line, tracking is free (we do a lot of shipping for LightHeart Gear, so I am familiar with shipping stuff). Depending on where you are shipping from and how much, the regional rate boxes could be cheaper than the flat rate boxes, and standard priority mail could be cheaper (but probably not) than flat rate.
I don't use a vacuum sealer - it makes "bricks" and if you don't want to eat the entire meal, you can't reseal the bag. Also, once you cut it open, add hot water, you can't re-seal like a ziplock. I use the freezer ziplock brand bags for everything. You can ship to many stores on the trail (outfitters) that are open on weekends when the post office isn't or to hostels. motels etc. It may take a little extra planning to make your won and ship it to you, but it is not a hardship as many people make it out to be. When I hiked the AT, I had 30 different dinners - so every night of the month I could have a different dinner. You won't get that sort of diversity or quality food shopping at the dollar general, and if planned ahead, buying food in bulk on sale, it can be cheaper. I really think you would probably spend more than $20.00 in town on buying food.

just my opinion.

Puddlefish
01-08-2016, 23:06
I just ordered a cheapo dehydrator. I'm not a fan of meat jerky, so wasn't overly concerned with temperature control/timer, etc. Rather than shipping whole meals, I figured I'd focus on a few healthy items, like veggies, berries and mushrooms that can be mixed into the store junk. Then plan on one maildrop per month for at least an occasional dose of healthier food. More of a supplement than anything I'll really rely on. Should be easy enough to get a different variety of dehydrated food and spices each month to keep it interesting. I doubt I'll save any money, but the thought of subsisting exclusively on Idahoan mashed potatoes and Knorr sides makes me a bit ill.

Also planning on zip lock bags, and if necessary some sort of desiccant.

Zora
01-15-2016, 19:06
Just wanted to chip in here as there was onne bit of incorrect, or at least, misleading info. It is correct that priority mail for large boxes is close to $20, though I will add that most people I researched were using the medium ones. HOWEVER, you can do regional rate flat rate boxes instead. Depending where you are shipping from, it could be under half this. It depends how many zones you will send it. My boxes will be sent from NJ which is pretty sweet, towards the middle of the trail, and it's going to be $6 something per box.

I would say though, if you are planning to just eat normalish food buying along the way is the way to go. If you have health issues or want to be healthy, or if you have a sweet deal on some supplies, then mailing really is a solution, and don't listen to others who say, don't bother to mail drop. You do need to be prepared to plan a lot and know your tastes well though. For me, it's a no brainer to do this- I am getting some donations/sponsorships, have some ways to get the groceries to make the stuff for almost free, using friends' dehydrators (and kitchens for that matter) $6 a box shipping is totally fine for me, and someone else is going to pay that up front anyway (will pay back after the hike). Also, I'm not working now, so I have oodles of time to plan. This isn't most people.

PS- How on earth did it cost $60 to make a month's worth of hummus? Did you include the dehydrator in that? Cans of beans are $1 or less, or get a bag of chickpeas for $1 and it's even cheaper. Tahini is maybe $3 from an ethnic market. Maybe $5 at a grocery. Spices/lemon juice basically free/lying around the pantry.

Puddlefish
01-15-2016, 20:06
With the broken foot and all, I can't exactly be productive by hiking or exercising much, so I'm channeling that productivity into dehydrating. In two days my cheapo dehydrator has spit out four bunches of bananas, four tubs of blueberries, four tubs of mushrooms and is currently working on four pounds of ground beef. Tomorrow is beef jerky day, and then I'll move on to apples and hummus, and granola. Everything is being stored in the freezer for now.

I bought a bunch of $1 Knorrs sides, Idahoan potatoes, and a pile of granola ingredients. When the cheapo vacuum sealer arrives I'll repackage all of the store bought sides into slightly healthier/tastier meals and snacks. Should be twenty days of food at three meals and two snacks a day, shipped in six packages. I figure I'm shipping maps and portions of the guidebook anyway, I may as well send them along with some food to the tougher food sections.

$60 equipment
$120 postage
$120 food
$10 Ziplock bags, parchment paper, oxy packets

Total of $310 for 20 days of food. 100 meals/snacks for average of $3.10 each. Rounding involved, ignored incidentals like spices, sugar, electricity and the gas to drive to the store.

I can recoup more of the cost of the equipment in coming years if it doesn't break down, lowering the average portion in the future. Of course if I don't complete the thru-hike I'll have 100 portions that taste like regret.

A lot of effort for 20 days on the trail, but it keeps me amused at least.

Manaphy
11-20-2016, 21:14
Personally I won't dehydrate the food, because I don't love the taste of dehydrated food; I just vacuum seal the food I need before trails. And I think if you just buy a vacuum sealer at crazysales you it won't take that much. You said dehydrators and vacuum sealers are going to cost around $300 totally and I think it is the dehydrator that costs you most. I got my vacuum sealer for $89; and those dehydrators I've seen are mostly for over $100. In all my experience tells me vacuum sealing food is the way to go.

Manaphy
11-20-2016, 21:15
Personally I won't dehydrate the food, because I don't love the taste of dehydrated food; I just vacuum seal the food I need before trails. And I think if you just buy a vacuum sealer at crazysales (http://www.crazysales.com.au/vacuum-sealer/) you it won't take that much. You said dehydrators and vacuum sealers are going to cost around $300 totally and I think it is the dehydrator that costs you most. I got my vacuum sealer for $89; and those dehydrators I've seen are mostly for over $100. In all my experience tells me vacuum sealing food is the way to go.

Greenlight
11-20-2016, 22:04
I'm ordering my stuff on Amazon Prime and not paying a dime for shipping. :)

EXCUSE MY POOR MATH! Make that $400 (20x20) This Dain Bramage is a killer . . .

Large flat rate Priority box (12x12x6 and up to 70lbs) is currently $17.90, but will increase on Jan 17th to ???. I've heard $19.75 or so. Non flat rate at similar sizes and with normal food weights will typically be equal or more. Standard Post (old Parcel Post) isn't much cheaper (if at all) and cannot be forwarded for free like Priority, besides often being slower and less reliable. You would have to pay to have it forwarded or returned.

If you're hiking frugally, you can probably hike a long way on $400 in trail food bought along the way.

Check out this thread and the OP's video http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115796-money?p=2029099&highlight=#post2029099 and expenses https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iE9R3gK716zA4OLwyswPyjPX5y3DR93BMVJeNYrkWT0/edit?pref=2&pli=1 but keep in mind he had lots of help from family/friends with freebie shuttles, lodging, meals along the way

Also this by Weathercarrot regarding his 2003 hike (factor in inflation) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/177-Ideas-for-an-Inexpensive-Thru-hike-(Hiker-Advice)

Venchka
11-21-2016, 00:26
You say that like Amazon Prime is the only place on earth that offers free shipping. Wake up. Look around. Is anybody paying shipping these days? I doubt it.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon
11-21-2016, 07:32
I cook and dehydrate all my meals - buying in town vs mailing - I'd love to see real figures on it. But, it does come down to why you are doing it as to which method will work. I'm personally all about being a vegetarian, and eating healthy - I doubt I would ever eat anything available in a gas station or dollar store. My food is mostly organic, whole foods, free of any chemicals or preservatives, so for me, the cost of postage is not even considered. Postage is cheaper on click and ship if you pay and print on line, tracking is free (we do a lot of shipping for LightHeart Gear, so I am familiar with shipping stuff). Depending on where you are shipping from and how much, the regional rate boxes could be cheaper than the flat rate boxes, and standard priority mail could be cheaper (but probably not) than flat rate.
I don't use a vacuum sealer - it makes "bricks" and if you don't want to eat the entire meal, you can't reseal the bag. Also, once you cut it open, add hot water, you can't re-seal like a ziplock. I use the freezer ziplock brand bags for everything. You can ship to many stores on the trail (outfitters) that are open on weekends when the post office isn't or to hostels. motels etc. It may take a little extra planning to make your won and ship it to you, but it is not a hardship as many people make it out to be. When I hiked the AT, I had 30 different dinners - so every night of the month I could have a different dinner. You won't get that sort of diversity or quality food shopping at the dollar general, and if planned ahead, buying food in bulk on sale, it can be cheaper. I really think you would probably spend more than $20.00 in town on buying food.

just my opinion.

Additionally, I've had issues with vacuum sealed bags losing their seal. I'd say approximately 25% of the meals I've dehydrated and vacuum sealed have lost their seal. Of course this depends on the type of food being dehydrated.

What happens is as the food dries, it becomes hard with sharp edges. Then as the sealer shrinks the bag around the food, it punctures tiny holes in the plastic. Even Babelfish5 acknowledged this in one of his videos.

I still have a couple of dehydrated Barbecued Spaghetti with pork dishes on hand that I dehydrated 10 months ago but did not vacuum pack. I ate one the other day and it was still good.

In my experience, vacuum sealing isn't needed for dehydrated foods, even meat based dishes.

The Roaming Gnome
11-21-2016, 08:12
I'm thru-hiking next year and have begun dehydrating some of my meals. I think it's a bit unrealistic to try and eat your own dehydrated meals for the entire trip. There are plenty of affordable alternatives at supply points. What has worked for me is to dehydrate proteins, lean ground beef, turkey... This weekend I dehydrated scallions, red peppers, peas, potatoes, corn to add to ramen. I've dehydrated left over meals like spaghetti and meat sauce and it worked out well on the trail. Unless you are going to eat a dehydrated meal with meat right away, you should vacuum seal the bags. My .2.

Greenlight
11-21-2016, 09:01
Venchka,

The full phrase should have been "free two day shipping." They really push the envelope to get your stuff to you quick. And with the Amazon Prime Pantry perishables, you don't want it sitting in a box for a month.I've found that when I order things from non-APrime sources, I often find myself anticipating it being on my stoop two days after I order, and I have to preform "expectation management" with myself to calm down. LOL. We're so spoiled these days. When I order specialty items from cottage industries, I tone it down because the wait is worth it, but for normal everyday stuff that Amazon and their competitors have in the distribution center, they've really got it down.

You say that like Amazon Prime is the only place on earth that offers free shipping. Wake up. Look around. Is anybody paying shipping these days? I doubt it.
Wayne

Venchka
11-21-2016, 09:35
I suppose. "Spoiled" is the operative word. Kinda goes against the whole idea of hiking through the woods.
Have a great hike! [emoji106][emoji41]
Wayne

Puddlefish
11-21-2016, 09:41
Like HDLV said, nutrition and variety. Not much in the way of savings for a thru hike.

I bought a cheap dehydrator. My intention was to bring more healthy vegetables on the trail with me to supplement the easily available Knorrs sides, Idahoan potatoes, tuna and jerkey diet. I did that, and it was minimally cheaper than buying dehydrated veggies in bulk online. Dried veggies also lose a good bit of the nutrition in the drying process. Both methods require mailing, so the mailing cost was a wash for me.

If you want to dehydrate all your meals instead of buying Knorr sides and potatoes, I suspect you'll lose money on the increased mailing costs. Mailing in general, I tried to restrict it to very healthy things, very flavorful things to supplement what I could find in town, and very expensive things that needed to be portioned into reasonable sizes.

As for dehydrating jerky, it would have been a small savings, but it was so very delicious that very little of it made it to the trail. I ended up gaining weight over the winter.

So, my suggestion is to only dehydrate the vegetables that you won't be able to easily find along the trail... or, just eat a lot of vegetables when you hit the trail towns in addition to all the other food you're cramming into your mouth in trail downs.

I do expect to gain some small savings from the dehydrator on shorter trips based directly out of my home, where mailing isn't involved. At that point I can just dehydrate everything, and end up with a nice variety of food ready for the trail.

Hosh
11-21-2016, 09:52
Additionally, I've had issues with vacuum sealed bags losing their seal. I'd say approximately 25% of the meals I've dehydrated and vacuum sealed have lost their seal. Of course this depends on the type of food being dehydrated.

What happens is as the food dries, it becomes hard with sharp edges. Then as the sealer shrinks the bag around the food, it punctures tiny holes in the plastic. .
I have had the same problem, especially with rice or pasta dishes.

I now store my bulk dehydrated food in a glass mason jar vacuum sealed with the Food Saver jar sealer attachment. I can store the mason jars in a freezer for several seasons. When preparing for a trip, I weight out the number of portions required and then re-seal the jars.

atraildreamer
11-21-2016, 10:25
I dehydrate, but I don't vacuum seal. I just use ziplock type bags. You can always find dehydrators online for about $50 or just above that. Many people buy them, try them once or twice, and then get rid of them after having them sit around, not being used for a long time.

Check out yard sales. I got two dehydrators that way for a total investment of $12. I have seen vacuum sealers, also. Look around.

swisscross
11-21-2016, 10:35
I have been making jerky in the oven for years.
Jerky in stores is ridiculously expensive.

Received an Excalibur as a gift last year and have been doing more dehydrating but I just don't see all that much money saving.
I would never consider making my own meals for a 5 month hike.
You would end up spending a huge amount of time in the kitchen.
As the old saying, time is money. I would rather being spending time outside, playing with my kids, even yard work.

I realize once you set it you can go off and do other things I just don't like leaving things running while not at home.

Since I typically get out for long weekends or a week at best, dehydrating makes perfect sense.
I can also modify my dishes for my picky 9 YO hiking partner.
I do think it is a healthier method of eating on the trail.

sarbar
11-22-2016, 22:06

What happens is as the food dries, it becomes hard with sharp edges. Then as the sealer shrinks the bag around the food, it punctures tiny holes in the plastic. Even Babelfish5 acknowledged this in one of his videos.

I still have a couple of dehydrated Barbecued Spaghetti with pork dishes on hand that I dehydrated 10 months ago but did not vacuum pack. I ate one the other day and it was still good.

In my experience, vacuum sealing isn't needed for dehydrated foods, even meat based dishes.

Tip:
Get a roll of white paper towels, Bounty, with the rip-a-sheet thing size. Put a strip in each bag, then add the dried food, then seal. The paper towel protects against sharp edges poking, such as rice, pasta, some veggies and so on.

And you get a napkin later on ;-)

One Half
11-27-2016, 13:26

I switched to 4 and 5 mil thick vacuum bags for storing foods in the freezer and for dehydrated foods. These are labeled "commercial grade" and I have had none fail. Alternatively, I have used a paper towel/napkin to "cushion" the food. I have also used a cheap ziplock inside a vacuum bag to prevent punctures.
I have also used mylar bags for dehydrated foods, 5 mil, and not had any issues with punctures but I likely wouldn't carry the mylar on trips as the manufacturer states the mylar layers can delaminate with boiling water. (they didn't say it would but rather said they can't say it won't) I have recently switched to freeze drying and simply use the plastic bags vacuum sealed for short term storage (2 years or less).

Greenmountainguy
11-30-2016, 20:23
Try this site. I am not new to drying, but this looks a lot more interesting than plain jerky. It should sure bring down the cost of eating.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html

Venchka
11-30-2016, 20:29
Try this site. I am not new to drying, but this looks a lot more interesting than plain jerky. It should sure bring down the cost of eating.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html

That is a very busy web page with a zillion links.
Any link in particular we should follow?
Thanks.
Wayne

Greenmountainguy
12-02-2016, 17:36
That is a very busy web page with a zillion links.
Any link in particular we should follow?
Thanks.
Wayne

I would suggest browsing the site as I did and accept what seems valid and reject the rest. I like the idea of risotto, chili and such very well. I am less sanguine about things like plain rice which can be made in the quick cooking version on-trail. There are great hints about how to dry meat without getting either pebbles or bubble gum. dishes with sauce seem promising as well. T
The business they suggest of drying cooked pasta seems just irrational unless you want to eat some slow cooking version like radiator or thick ziti. Why not just use ramen or angel hair?
I also do not see the point of drying refried beans when with a little searching I can get just-add-water versions in the store.
The idea of making "bark" of things like sweet potatoes seems interesting but you can also buy mashed potatoes, white and sweet inexpensively in vast variety.

Dogwood
12-02-2016, 18:07
Here are some unorthodox ways of reducing food costs on trail that could be considered more often:

1) drink lots of water not too much though that it results in over hydration hyponatremia

2) avoid buying prepared meals in town;make your own meals as they are often less expensive providing ample opportunity to be more nutritious as well

3) avoid time in town

4) invest in a trail sprouting kit like that from Outdoor Herbivore http://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprout-kit/ Sprouts are WAY financially inexpensive and WAY super nutritious

5) learn and apply energy efficient ergonomic backpacking mechanics. Do not hike like a run away freight train.

Dogwood
12-02-2016, 18:11
6) consider the grazing method of eating and ditching the off trail commonality of three big meals per day

7) avoid binges and insulin and resulting energy spikes by avoiding high sugar content food selections or at least consume sugar in moderation meted with fiber i.e.; a whole apple rather than apple juice that concentrates the sugar

Dogwood
12-02-2016, 18:28
8) eat less meat and less costly meat choices; meat is typically one of the most expensive food items; prepared meats like deli meats, sausages, jerkies, tinned meats like SPAM, may not only have unhealthy aspects but can add up significantly financially; consider non meat alternative protein sources i.e.; lentils, beans, quinoa, soy products - tempeh, tofu, seitan, powdered soy milk, amaranth, quinoa, oatmeal, brown or other rices(not white rice), chia seed, shelled hemp seed, pumpkin seeds, hummus, buckwheat, PB and other nut butters, nuts, spirulina(get best quality one can afford),...

Dogwood
12-02-2016, 18:30
9) do a speedier hike

One Half
12-03-2016, 16:49
6) consider the grazing method of eating and ditching the off trail commonality of three big meals per day

7) avoid binges and insulin and resulting energy spikes by avoiding high sugar content food selections or at least consume sugar in moderation meted with fiber i.e.; a whole apple rather than apple juice that concentrates the sugar

8) eat less meat and less costly meat choices; meat is typically one of the most expensive food items; prepared meats like deli meats, sausages, jerkies, tinned meats like SPAM, may not only have unhealthy aspects but can add up significantly financially; consider non meat alternative protein sources i.e.; lentils, beans, quinoa, soy products - tempeh, tofu, seitan, powdered soy milk, amaranth, quinoa, oatmeal, brown or other rices(not white rice), chia seed, shelled hemp seed, pumpkin seeds, hummus, buckwheat, PB and other nut butters, nuts, spirulina(get best quality one can afford),...

#7 and #8 are in conflict with each other at least partially. #7 says avoid insulin spikes but grains have been proven to spike insulin.

And meat when you look at $/calories per oz, unless it's processed, is usually one of the best deals for calories/dollar. Dehydrate your own meat and you can have lightweight, calorie dense foods that won't spike your insulin or the scales!

Dogwood
12-03-2016, 18:39
All grains are not equal. Some are rather low on the Glycemic Index and in general whole grains trend toward the lower end of the GI while sugar is rather higher on the GI. Whole grains also are less processed containing the whole grain with is better nutritionally. While grains can raise blood insulin levels it can be controlled through portion size reducing the energy lows and highs. This goes along with: 6) consider the grazing method of eating and ditching the off trail commonality of three big meals per day. There is a wiser perspective of balance nutritionally occurring with many many integrated aspects.

I recognize meat not to be necessarily demonized as far as cost; as I said "eat less meat and less costly meat choices; meat is typically one of the most expensive food items." There was nothing in my statement that implied anything as an absolute.

There is room to allow for specific dietary choices without the necessity to demonize any one nutritional category or food group which is all too common.

However, if we take into account a wider perspective that includes land, air, and water degradation, resources allocated, especially land and water that is used to bring 1 lb of beef to the table, the inclusion of antibiotics and growth hormones into much of the meat supply in the U.S. and consider that the meat industry is highly tax payer subsidized from the grain that is grown and used as an unnatural "cheap" livestock feed to the meat itself it can be debated how costly meat really is. There are certainly less resource intensive alternative ways to get the benefits of nutrition that meat provides.

I hope you are not suggesting that processing meat personally as you are by dehydrating, packaging, and then mailing it out should somehow not be included as additional processing or additional resource allocation?

Just unorthodox, often not considered alternative options, to reduce food costs. Food for thought is the intention. ;)

kombiguy
01-10-2017, 19:31
I christen thee with the trailname "Rumpelstiltskin" You obviously just woke up from a 25 yr nap.

Or maybe, "Rip van Winkle" instead?

Greenlight
01-10-2017, 21:08
I'm all for healthy eating, but there are nutritionists who deal with endurance sports and LD hikers who swear that when you're continually at a caloric deficit (as when thru-hiking) you aren't storing much of anything. They say you can eat pretty much anything you want and your body is going to burn it without, and here's the caveat, negative health effects. Eating too many highly processed, refined carbs? You can't. They're going straight to energy. Eating too much bad cholesterol and unhealthy fats? You can't. You're burning it all, it isn't being stored by your body. Can you get nutrient deficient on the trail? Sure. Do you need to make sure you're eating some protein? Yep. Would you feel better about yourself if you ate a pound of salad every day on the trail? I guess.

When I do my thru, I'm going to balance cost per calorie with good old basic variety. Honey buns? Cosmic brownies? Gorp out the wazoo? Heck yeah. Peanut butter slathered between two pop tarts? Oh yeah. Getting to town and eating an entire ben and jerry's, two triple cheeseburgers, fries, cola, and a couple of fried apple pies? Yup. Sometimes, I'm sure I'll feel like eating a salad. It'll be a big one.

Hey guys, new to this forum! I'm really excited about doing the AT, but I'm worried money is going to be an issue... I've been looking for the cheapest ways to feed yourself on the trail, and I'm noticing pre-dehydrated meals are NOT the way to go... I read in an AT book that dehydrating and vacuum sealing your own meals are the best option. What are everyones views on that? I was looking at the prices of dehydrators and vacuum sealers, and they are going to cost around $300 total! (But a plus side, my mom cooks a lot and I was thinking the next two months would be a good opportunity to dehydrate meals for free! Not to mention she will probably be prone to cook for me while I'm on the trail ;))