PDA

View Full Version : need thru hiking partner (spring '07)

ryan207
12-12-2005, 10:26
All my friends think I am crazy for wanting to hike from Georgia to Maine so I am looking for anyone who might be interested in hiking with me for any length of the trip. Planning it a year ahead of time to make good solid plans, just need someone else to come along. I am planning to start early to mid april in 2007. My name is Ryan, I am 20 years old and I live in Maine. Hope to hear from somebody!:sun

KirkMcquest
12-13-2005, 11:57
:cool: Ryan,

I am also planning to go in '07, but I'll be leaving mid to late march. See you out there.

icemanat95
12-13-2005, 12:49
Ryan, there will be literally hundreds of other hikers within a matter of one or two day's travel in either direction from you when you begin your hike. If you want someone to hike with, you will be able to find someone to ahng out with until you get your bearings and catch your stride.

ryan207
12-14-2005, 18:06
Hey Iceman, thats what I gathered after reading some other posts. Now its just down to the planning. I do appreciate your reply and I can't wait to get out there. Thank you.

ryan207
12-14-2005, 18:16
Hey Kirk, early april was just a thought. I am not completely sure when my starting date will be. Mid to late april seem to be most popular. However, if the weather permits me to start earlier that would work out much better seeing as it will give me more time to enjoy myself and not worry about meeting mileage deadlines and packages to pick up. We'll see! Thanks for the reply.

Frosty
12-14-2005, 20:57
Hey Kirk, early april was just a thought. I am not completely sure when my starting date will be. Mid to late april seem to be most popular. I started this past April 11. The big rush had passed, and there was room in all the shelters. I was told that the weekend before there were about 30 tents around Hawk Mtn Shelter. the major shuttle provider last spring (Pittsburgh) closed up operations about April 18 or 20 as there weren't enough hikers to make it pay. If you are looking fro big groups, consider starting on a Saturday, the last weekend in March or the first weekend in April.

ryan207
12-14-2005, 21:16
Thanks for the information. Last weekend in march sounds good.

ryan207
02-04-2006, 19:53
:cool: Ryan,

I am also planning to go in '07, but I'll be leaving mid to late march. See you out there.

Changed my plans, im leaving in mid march for sure. keep in touch.

corialice81
02-05-2006, 11:37
Hey Ryan,

I'll be leaving in apr/may 07. I'm 24 and live in NC so maybe we could meet up in the middle to do some pratice hikes.

cori

onicoe
02-05-2006, 18:44
hey ryan,

i'm planning on a mid march date as well. hope to see you out there.

Blissful
02-07-2006, 21:27
Wow, March is lookin' crowded!~ But hey, let's go!
Paul Bunyan and I are leaving around March 15th.

And as far as people thinking you're crazy for doing this - actually I've gotten all kinds of support for it when I thought the opposite would happen! From my parents, my hubby, friends, even my book editors. Kinda neat. :D

grassyknoll44
02-12-2006, 17:06
I'm planning a 2007 thru hike but haven't set a departure date yet. I have one person that says she might go with me for part of it but other than that I all alone too. My name is Kate, I'm 19, and from Maryland.

Lilred
02-13-2006, 13:18
Wow, March is lookin' crowded!~ But hey, let's go!
Paul Bunyan and I are leaving around March 15th.

And as far as people thinking you're crazy for doing this - actually I've gotten all kinds of support for it when I thought the opposite would happen! From my parents, my hubby, friends, even my book editors. Kinda neat. :D

You have editors??? I gotta get me some editors... Seriously, there's tons of books our there on thru-hikes and more coming each year. Got a good angle for yours? Will you be keeping a journal online?? Keep in touch, I'd like to follow your hike, I'm hoping on leaving 2008. Good luck.

Who's Paul Bunyan?

ryan207
03-07-2006, 13:36
Well then, I will see all of you out there. I am starting between march 12th and 18th. However, it would still be cool to at least have someone by my side right when I start. So I will throw that out there and if anyone is interested mail me at [email protected].

doobe01
03-25-2006, 16:08
Hey ryan207 I am leaving March 9th so maybe we will run in to each other since you are leaving a few days after me. I am orignally from Sanford, ME. DO you know where that is? Where in S. Maine are you from?

neo
03-25-2006, 18:24
All my friends think I am crazy for wanting to hike from Georgia to Maine so I am looking for anyone who might be interested in hiking with me for any length of the trip. Planning it a year ahead of time to make good solid plans, just need someone else to come along. I am planning to start early to mid april in 2007. My name is Ryan, I am 20 years old and I live in Maine. Hope to hear from somebody!:sun

:D the trail be crawling with people,almost as bad as shopping at walmart
on sunday lol:cool: neo

Blissful
03-26-2006, 23:12
You have editors??? I gotta get me some editors... Seriously, there's tons of books our there on thru-hikes and more coming each year. Got a good angle for yours? Will you be keeping a journal online?? Keep in touch, I'd like to follow your hike, I'm hoping on leaving 2008. Good luck.

Who's Paul Bunyan?

Actually, I write Christian romance :D so I have two books I'm working on right now that may need galleys proofed while I'm on the trail. That should be interesting. Have to figure that one out! But I'd love to also write a book about my experiences on the trail.

And Paul Bunyan is my fifteen year old son. Named by a fellow thru hiker Disney - who you sometimes see on the list - during one of our section hikes last year.

Panzer1
03-26-2006, 23:41
All my friends think I am crazy for wanting to hike from Georgia to Maine :sun

Well then you have come to the right web site. Everyone here is crazy too. You have fallen in with good company.

Panzer

G.H.O.S.T.
03-28-2006, 23:08
Speaking of crazy anyone else leaving in Jan.

Dawn
04-09-2006, 13:12
I am planning on leaving on March 17...after all, I'm Irish.

ridefast
04-10-2006, 06:58
im aiming for a march 17-ish start

if anyone from NC wants to get together between now and then to do some day-3 day hikes lemme know

:banana

Moon Cricket
05-21-2006, 17:06
ryan

I am from Maine as well but will be leaving at or about march first. will see you on the trail Mainers all the way.

maxNcathy
06-06-2006, 08:20
Look out for me too and i will be looking out for you guys on the trail...about March 15th.
Anyone know of a good way to get to trail from Atlanta airport?
Max/Sandlewood

maxNcathy
06-06-2006, 08:33
OMG i yam sew dum...misspelled my own trailname

sandalwood sandalwood sandalwood sandalwood sandalwood...there now I know how to spell it!

onicoe
06-06-2006, 12:16
you got too excited, that's why you couldn't spell it. [:

here's a link to directions on getting to Springer.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=100620&postcount=1

Amigi'sLastStand
06-06-2006, 22:46
:D the trail be crawling with people,almost as bad as shopping at walmart
on sunday lol:cool: neo

Just another reason to SOBO.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-06-2006, 22:48
:-? In the SOBO forum, you say you are going south bound and cant leave til May because of college. Could you update your plans for us, maybe?

Doctari
06-07-2006, 09:43
Ryan, you will be surprised at how many people you will meet, that thanks to Whiteblaze you can say "Hey, I know you!". Example: I met Jack Tarlin that way at Kincora.

So, you won't be alone, unless you want to :)

Doctari.

maxNcathy
06-09-2006, 11:06
Ryan207!

Go for it Ryan. You will meet lots of trail friends. I am not sure of my starting date bit i will look for you to hike with.

Sandalwood

maxNcathy
06-09-2006, 11:58
you got too excited, that's why you couldn't spell it. [:

here's a link to directions on getting to Springer.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=100620&postcount=1

THANKS onicole,

That link will be very helpful.

Max/Sandalwood

maxNcathy
06-09-2006, 14:09
Wooooo Hoooo UPS just delivered my new sleeping bag. It fees so soft and warm. Moonstone 800 Lucid. Now on Sale at Backcountry.com at 30% off.
The winds are high and the temps are droping so i will sleep out in my tent tonight.

Sandalwood

KRYSS1022
06-11-2006, 20:26
Hey ryan, Im Krystal (19). I am currently looking for a hiking partner for 2007 as well. E-mail me and we can talk more. [email protected]

Treydawg
06-11-2006, 22:35
hey! this is treydawg. I am currently in Northern Utah and am used to high altitudes and hiking. I am originally from georgia, so I am also used to the humidity(somewhat). I have wanted to 'experience" the AT for years and have currently found this wonderful site. I am planning on hitting the trail after spring semester...April(mid), So, my email is [email protected], if you run across any info or tips or other people who might want to travel as a small group( i think 5 would be plenty) keep me up to date and i'll fill you in on anything i hear or learn. This is something that will last a lifetime, and I can't wait. All my kids will be out of high school and I'm free. Keep in touch, anyone who would like to go as a group, drop me a line. thx, treydawg

Treydawg
06-11-2006, 22:37
:D :clap :banana
hey! this is treydawg. I am currently in Northern Utah and am used to high altitudes and hiking. I am originally from georgia, so I am also used to the humidity(somewhat). I have wanted to 'experience" the AT for years and have currently found this wonderful site. I am planning on hitting the trail after spring semester...April(mid), So, my email is [email protected], if you run across any info or tips or other people who might want to travel as a small group( i think 5 would be plenty) keep me up to date and i'll fill you in on anything i hear or learn. This is something that will last a lifetime, and I can't wait. All my kids will be out of high school and I'm free. Keep in touch, anyone who would like to go as a group, drop me a line. thx, treydawg

Treydawg
06-11-2006, 23:24
How do you do?

CocamoJoe
06-12-2006, 12:33
I'm planning on thru-hiking in 2007, starting in mid-March