PDA

View Full Version : Early March New England Thru Hikers

timsuxx
01-05-2016, 22:47
Will anyone be setting out from New England to hike the AT starting at Springer Mountain in early March? I'm looking to carpool with some people!

Slo-go'en
01-06-2016, 00:27
People generally don't drive to Georgia to start a thru hike, since that means your effectively abandoning the car there for the duration. (And then have to find a way to go back and get it after the hike) I suppose a few people could get together and rent a car, but that has it's own issues too. Long distance, one way rentals are expensive (plus gas and lodging if you don't drive straight through) and it would likely have to be dropped off in Atlanta.

Your best option is to buy a plane, bus or train ticket ASAP to get the best price.

bemental
01-06-2016, 10:25
I've already purchased my flight, 'only' costed $265.

The train was similarly priced, albeit a tad more expensive and while a longer journey you'd have less worries about getting your gear down south.

One Half
01-06-2016, 17:14
Driving from Maine to Georgia only takes 2 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bemental
01-06-2016, 19:40
Also, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

timsuxx
01-06-2016, 22:54
$265 isn't too bad... I'm kindda tight on cash though. I unexpectedly had to fly back to Texas after a loss, so lost the credit I was going to get to Georgia. And thanks bemental! I guess I'll keep my eyes open on people carpooling/renting a car.

hikehunter
01-07-2016, 02:15
On 11 Feb. 2015 my flight on Southwest airlines, fromDFW to Atlanta was $38 I was on th 3rd nonstop flightthe ever did.
3Feb2016 one way DFW to Atlanta $62.

hikehunter
01-07-2016, 02:16
13 Feb 2016

Gambit McCrae
01-07-2016, 10:57
If planned properly, Plane is pretty much the easiest. I carried everything but fuel with me, Trekking poles wrapped up in my tent. And had very little problems. I carryd a big duffle bag military square one, put my pack in it. Dressed in civilian clothes and when my shuttle driver picked me up I asked her to swing by a post office, there was a PO less then a mile from my trailhead in Salisbury so that wasn't a problem either. I mailed my stuff to my end destination shuttle driver and that was that. Only diff for a thru hiker would be to mail the duffel and clothes home rather then 100 miles up the trial :)

squeezebox
01-07-2016, 11:29
Check out Megabus sometimes they almost pay you.

New England Guy
01-25-2016, 00:36
I'll be heading to Springer from New England, but I won't be leaving until April 1st at the earliest, probably staying in NoVA for a few days to visit family, and possibly make a quick trip to Harpers Ferry to make a donation to the ATC, and hopefully starting the trail some where between 04/03-04/15 at the latest. If any one is in need of transportation from Vermont 04/01 or Northern Virginia 04/03ish, please message me. I am more than willing to help you out, and would not mind making some acquaintances before hitting the trail.

Puddlefish
01-25-2016, 10:20
I considered Megabus and Greyhound, but there were a minimum of 5 bus changes, and I was concerned about abrasion on my pack, or the bus line flat out losing it as checked baggage, or the hassle of moving it myself from each bus change. I managed a direct flight from Manchester NH to Atlanta with the ability to change the flight for only $180 or so. Could have saved $20 and got a non refundable flight as instead.

Flying into Atlanta still leaves you with an expensive shuttle ride to the trail. Hiker Hostel has a pretty good deal for only $85 which includes a shuttle from the North Point Marta station (another $3.50) a bunk overnight, 8 oz of fuel, which you can't take on the plane, and shuttle to the trail. Be aware that their last pickup daily pickup is for flights arriving at at 5:00 pm, so you'll have to take a flight early in the day.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a ride to Manchester from Windsor.

My car is staying in the driveway.

Puddlefish
01-25-2016, 10:22
Correction, one stop on that Southwest flight. But a few hours in the luggage hold of a plane, is still better than two days in the luggage hold under a bus.

New England Guy
01-27-2016, 14:51
I considered Megabus and Greyhound, but there were a minimum of 5 bus changes, and I was concerned about abrasion on my pack, or the bus line flat out losing it as checked baggage, or the hassle of moving it myself from each bus change. I managed a direct flight from Manchester NH to Atlanta with the ability to change the flight for only $180 or so. Could have saved $20 and got a non refundable flight as instead.

Flying into Atlanta still leaves you with an expensive shuttle ride to the trail. Hiker Hostel has a pretty good deal for only $85 which includes a shuttle from the North Point Marta station (another $3.50) a bunk overnight, 8 oz of fuel, which you can't take on the plane, and shuttle to the trail. Be aware that their last pickup daily pickup is for flights arriving at at 5:00 pm, so you'll have to take a flight early in the day.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a ride to Manchester from Windsor.

My car is staying in the driveway.

Only reason I'm driving to VA is to leave my car at my brothers house, also it'll be more accessible should something come up while I'm on the trail in the southern states. I'll probably take a bus to GA and stay at the Hiker Hostel one day after the 3rd of April, depending on their availability. I have yet to make a reservation, as I'm trying to keep things fluid until I'm a little closer to my start date.