PDA

View Full Version : Trail head in NC

isleroyalhiker
01-06-2016, 11:12
Am posting for the first time so hopefully this is the right forum area to post. Can someone who lives in North Carolina tell me where the closest trail head to Mathews, N.C. is? Energizer

Tennessee Viking
01-06-2016, 12:25
Sams Gap off at old US23 and I-40/Pigeon River would be the quickest trailheads to Matthews. Then 19E & Carvers Gap.

NC Hiker/Angler
01-06-2016, 16:03
Agree with locations noted by Tennessee Viking. You can also access the AT at Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia in almost the identical time and distance.

Whack-a-mole
01-07-2016, 16:51
That's the bad thing about Charlotte. You lose a half a day of hiking when you drive there. Of course you can get up and leave earlier, but then you are losing sleep and waking up everybody when you try to leave at 4 am. I try to leave a little early, stop somewhere a little close to the trail head and eat a good breakfast, and get a good half day of hiking in for day one. Of course there are more options. For a beautiful hike, carvers gap, then north on the trail is spectacular in the winter, just be sure to pack your woolies.

Mr. Bumpy
01-07-2016, 17:32
You folks who are Charlotte based if you want a quick and easy weekend don't forget about the King's Mountain loop and the connector Ridgeline trail from Crowder's Mountain. Those little used spots make for a near perfect winter and shoulder season weekend.

golfjhm
01-07-2016, 17:54
Might be dead set on AT, which is fine as this is an AT forum. However if just looking for a hike you have lots of good trails a good bit closer to you than the AT. Shining Rock/Middle Prong Wildernesses (Asheville Area), Mt. Mitchell area, Linville Gorge.

harnasb
01-07-2016, 18:07
The closest AT trailhead from Matthews is just up the road at Nantahala outdoor Center.

isleroyalhiker
01-08-2016, 09:51
Thanks Tennessee for the info. My son just moved out to Matthews but hasn't found anyone who hikes and knows the trail heads. I plan to start the AT, the first week in April, starting at Springer Mt., and hope to hike to Matthews where my son will pick me up.

isleroyalhiker
01-08-2016, 09:58
Hi golfjhm. I have been thinking of hiking the AT for a long time. I am 62, newly retired, so have some time. I have been out to California and hiked on the JMT three times but was only able to do 2 weeks at a time due to my having to take vacation. It's now or never to hike the AT...;-)

Tennessee Viking
01-08-2016, 11:50
Isle

Tell him to look into the PATH AT club. Most of the volunteers live in Charlotte/Triad/Triange area but they maintain a section of Virginia AT. http://www.path-at.org/

There is also the MST that is situated along the Blue Ridge for an AT alternative.

harnasb
01-08-2016, 15:26
Thanks Tennessee for the info. My son just moved out to Matthews but hasn't found anyone who hikes and knows the trail heads. I plan to start the AT, the first week in April, starting at Springer Mt., and hope to hike to Matthews where my son will pick me up.

Glad to help. NOC. is only 15 or 20 minutes from Andrews. There is also Wayah Bald which can be reached by heading toward Nantahala lake from the back side of Andrews. Not sure if it is closer but may be slower going. Narrow paved roads and dirt roads.
The next closest would be at 64, Winding stair gap.