PDA

View Full Version : Canadian thru hiker

readl
01-06-2016, 16:14
I will be flying in from Canada for a thru Hike and I want to know if I need a tourist visa or something like that for a 5-6 months trip ?

Any canadians out there who might know ?

bemental
01-06-2016, 19:48
Anyone entering the United States from a foreign country who intends to stay for longer than 90 days needs a visa. There is the Visa Waiver Program, but that only allows travel up to 90 days.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/194/~/visa-waiver-program---eligible-countries

If the country is not apart of the VWP, then they need a visa for ANY travel to the US.

BCPete
01-06-2016, 21:07
Bemental is wrong in regard to Canada.

Canadians can be in the USA for a period of up to 6 months (in a calendar year) with no formal visa needed. Make sure to have your passport stamped upon arrival in the States, so that there is no confusion later on when you get back to Canada. Whatever you do ... do NOT go over 6 months!!! This opens up a whole can of worms you definitely don't want to get into.

bemental
01-06-2016, 21:40
Bemental is wrong in regard to Canada.

Canadians can be in the USA for a period of up to 6 months (in a calendar year) with no formal visa needed. Make sure to have your passport stamped upon arrival in the States, so that there is no confusion later on when you get back to Canada. Whatever you do ... do NOT go over 6 months!!! This opens up a whole can of worms you definitely don't want to get into.

I stand corrected! Probably why Canada doesn't need to be a part of the VWP then.

Try this information from Ottawa's government website:
http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians.html

Hiketarian
01-24-2016, 15:40
What do you mean get your passport stamped? (Canadian curiosity)

Patrickjd9
01-24-2016, 15:50
With a 6 month northbound hike, it wouldn't be hard to make a brief trip to Canada if it looks like you will go over the time limit. Making short trips out of a country to restart the visa clock seems to be a routine part of international travel.

Patrickjd9
01-27-2016, 21:30
With a 6 month northbound hike, it wouldn't be hard to make a brief trip to Canada if it looks like you will go over the time limit.
Of course, with the calendar year limit, leaving for Canada and returning in a few days wouldn't help.