PDA

View Full Version : Quilts on the AT

Brad L
01-07-2016, 18:49
Looking for people that have actually used a quilt on the trail. I have a 10deg 800 down from enlightend equip that I want to use. I understand water and condensation issues but want to hear pros and cons of actual trail users. I'm starting my thru end of March. TIA

SWODaddy
01-07-2016, 19:28
I have a 20* Enlightened Equipment quilt that I bought this summer and I love it so far. It's really easy to vent if it's getting a little hot, and not drafty at all (at least for me) using the straps. On one night it got into the mid 20's with winds over 30mph near Mount Rogers and I was actually a little hot wearing a base layer once I had warmed up the bag. I feel like I would be comfortable in the teens no problem.

jimmyjam
01-07-2016, 20:23
1100 AT miles in a Rev X 25*. I like it better than a bag. The pad straps solve the draft problem.

MuddyWaters
01-07-2016, 20:42
Bears prefer hikers in quilts. Its easier for them to get at the tasty inside.

Pastor Bryon
01-07-2016, 22:40
I use a 40deg EE Revelation quilt and am more than satisfied with its performance. As said earlier, it vents easily, but with the way the footbox area is designed you can close it up and get performance like that of a regular bag. I do use a liner, either a silk/cotton mix in warmer weather and a S2S reactor in colder weather. Purpose for the liner is to help the quilt stay fresh longer.

I only do section hiking, so can't speak to LD hiking experience, but with what I've done to this point, I can't imagine not using a quilt for a longer hike. The versatility, weight, and compression just make it so great, IMO.

Water Rat
01-07-2016, 22:56
Many, many trail nights under my 10* EE Rev X quilt. Buying that quilt absolutely improved my sleep at night. I grew up using a sleeping bag, but I have a bad knee that is persnickety about the angle I keep it at night. The sleeping bag did not allow for my knee to consistently be in the positions it wanted to be, so it would let me know it. Moving to a quilt has allowed me to sleep just like at home and that has made all the difference for my enjoyment on the trail. I am better rested each morning and happy to be out there.

Have not had any issues with my quilt getting "super soaked" yet. I make sure to keep it protected from all forms of water, and absolutely take advantage of sunshine and snack breaks to dry out any gear I suspect might be wet. On warm nights it is easy to kick a leg out from under the quilt to cool off, or I can zip up the foot box and warm up, or... I have found that my quilt makes it a lot easier for me to control my personal thermostat at night.

I would love to give a balanced review and mention something negative about having switched to a quilt, but I can't think of any reason to be unhappy with my quilt! Happy hiking!

Heliotrope
01-07-2016, 23:34

True but rattle snakes prefer the tight, cozy quarters of an occupied mummy bag[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwb
01-08-2016, 09:41
I've used a Golite 40 degree quilt for probably 100 nights or so on the trail and always liked it. I sleep much better under a quilt versus inside a sleeping bag since I can move around easier. The straps work well to keep out the drafts.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say about water and condensation issues? Do you mean regarding down insulation?

squeezebox
01-08-2016, 10:10
Enlightened Equipment has a double strap. So you can buy a warm quilt and a cold quilt then stack them together for extra cold.

Team Pancho
01-08-2016, 18:31
I have a 20* revelation. Haven't used on the AT but have taken it down to 30 here at home on a windy night and slept comfortably.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Malto
01-08-2016, 19:54
I have used a Golite UL20 quilt for all of my AT hiking over all the four seasons. use it with bivy when cold.

Pros on quilts: weight and weight efficiency (compressed insulation doesn't help much), quilts are generally cheaper for a given warmth. Less cooped up feeling, I get almost claustrophobic with a mummy bag.

Cons on quilts: drafty which is where the bivy comes in. Bivy stops the drafts and also acts as a ground sheet. You will likely need to take warmer head gear because of a lack of hood. This can be a pro or con.

not sure condensation is a factor in the decision. It will happen regardless depending on where the point falls in your insulation layer. You are more likely to see it with a bivy since you can feel between the bivy and quilt where the dew point may reside.

Old Hiker
01-09-2016, 17:22

Muddy, was that an inadvertent auto correct? Did you mean "hikers in KILTS" ? Just askin'. :)

QiWiz
01-12-2016, 16:11
I have and would continue to use a quilt on AT except perhaps in winter with expected temps below 20 degrees.

bigcranky
01-12-2016, 16:17
Been using a 40F down quilt in the summer for several years, both in a hammock and on the ground. I love it, and it works fine in all sorts of weather.