PDA

View Full Version : Trail Access Points

ChrisB
01-07-2016, 20:59
I live in Suffolk Virginia and am looking for the closest location to access the trail. Am thinking the Shenandoah Valley. I'm looking for a relatively close access point to do some day hiking and reintroduce myself to the terrain and decide if I want to pursue longer overnight trips and possibly hike the entire trail (likely in sections). Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Uncle Joe
01-07-2016, 21:08
Just looking at the map it would seem the quickest access to the AT from Suffolk would be Rockfish Gap on I-64.

johnnybgood
01-07-2016, 23:31
I-664 North to I-64 West to Rockfish Gap looks to be most hassle free. If you decide to drive into SNP the entrance fee is $20 per car, which is good for 7 days. Of course parking the car at Rockfish cost nothing and you can walk in for a day hike on the AT.
-- Heading south from Rockfish Gap in your car takes you onto the Blue Ridge Parkway which is no charge. Parking at the Gap heading south on the AT has you hiking into George Washington National Forest. The trail is located at the south end of the bridge where the white blaze is.