PDA

View Full Version : Gps purchase

sethd513
01-08-2016, 10:15
I'd like to purchase a gps. We have all Apple electronics. Anyone find any certain gps user friendly and close to just a one time fee for what you need. I was looking at the Oregon 600 and as an example it had a bad review due to the hassle of getting it up and running time and cost wise. Any feed back is great. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneStranger
01-08-2016, 10:25
Gaia GPS app (gaiagps.com) on your phone will save you having to carry a separate device, assuming you have your phone with you on trips. I don't use it to record tracks and only let it do GPS actions on demand in order to save battery, but it has saved me from following a herd path too far when I missed a turn once so already paid for itself. If you need a full feature GPS then shop on by all means, but you may want to look into what this app can do before spending all that money.

Puddlefish
01-08-2016, 10:30
From other threads I've read, the consensus seems to be that dedicated trail GPS's are dinosaurs and you'll get far more functionality out of your phone GPS.

Pros for the dedicated GPS: Can operate with gloves and replace the batteries.

They do however sell touchscreen gloves and external battery/recharging is cheap and light these days.

Traveler
01-08-2016, 11:07
I'd like to purchase a gps. We have all Apple electronics. Anyone find any certain gps user friendly and close to just a one time fee for what you need. I was looking at the Oregon 600 and as an example it had a bad review due to the hassle of getting it up and running time and cost wise. Any feed back is great. Thanks.

Its hard to say what might work well without knowing what you are using it for. If you are doing walking/biking/boating tours of urban to suburban areas, or are in areas that have a fairly open view of the sky, a smart phone GPS application or the Garmin Oregon series (or similar) will probably work fine. If you are hiking in forests and mountains, those may not work well due to signal reception limitations they have. For back country use, I would go with a more robust signal acquisition system like that that of a Garmin 64 which can penetrate heavy canopy and find satellites in ravines, canyons and around mountains, map making for trails or bushwhacking routes, etc.

sethd513
01-08-2016, 11:24
I don't mind the extra device. If I was to use my phone then I'd be hauling along a charger I'm assuming. If I could trust the service on my iPhone 6 I'd use it but it does seem spotty and unreliable. Whenever we have been in the white mountains our cell service is minimal at best and we aren't very deep. I'd assume getting a gps should be a one time purchase if I get the right one.

sethd513
01-08-2016, 11:27
The other thing is how do you get the trails you want to the device? Being 27 I'd think it would be easier to figure out.

perdidochas
01-08-2016, 12:16

Having used an iphone for geocaching, I don't recommend it for serious GPS work. It all depends on your usage. Also, GPS does drain a phone pretty quickly.

The Cleaner
01-08-2016, 12:29
Theodolite in the Iphone app store.It actually works in airplane mode with location service on.

ChefATLTCT
01-08-2016, 13:29
i have found that my I6 works well with guthooks AT app, recently got GAIA GPS and I have had no problems with Ihike GPS.

Slo-go'en
01-08-2016, 13:30
The problem I have with dedicated GPS devices is that the screen is so darn small and have low resolution. To see any detail you have to zoom in so much that you can't tell what's around you anymore. I have a Garmin Dakota 20 which has that problem. Small screen, hard to read in daylight, eats AA batteries like I own stock in the factory. I also had to spend a lot of money for their propriety maps.

My cheap little smart phone works just as well as it has real GPS built in (most do these days) and there are free topo map apps available. I think for general navigation these are fine. If you really need pin-point accuracy, a dedicated unit might be a little better.

sethd513
01-08-2016, 13:41
All trails pro seems to have all the added info I'd get from a gps and all the trails in their data base. Does anyone use that on their phones? Can that be used in airplane mode?

sliverstorm
01-08-2016, 14:36
AllTrails can be used in airplane mode, you just have to make sure to download maps of the area you want to be first. I used to use it on my Android devices.

sliverstorm
01-08-2016, 14:39
If you know your way around maps, I wonder if you could use a paper map with a UTM grid & one of those tiny little GPS units that just spit out raw coordinates. A very basic tactic, but sufficient for verifying your location on the trail & tracking progress.

sethd513
01-08-2016, 19:05
The Oregon 600 garmin is 250 at Cabelas right now. With club points it will probably be 200$. The 64 is 350$. Since they are both garmin products will they work equally side by side? From what I've been messing around with it seems I need to find someone that has tracked the trail if I want to see it on my device or track it myself. But at least if I lost the trail I could follow my track back out.

sliverstorm
01-08-2016, 20:01
You might be able to start here:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Handheld-Gps-Reviews/Garmin-Oregon-600

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Handheld-Gps-Reviews/Garmin-GPSMAP-62sc

(The 62 is very much like the 64)

As for tracks, yes, you must either download them from someone or make them yourself. There should be many, many gpx (track) files available online for the AT. Or, you can depend on maps which have the trail marked on them (that's not the same as a track though). Lastly you can make tracks manually on a computer by tracing details on a map.

iAmKrzys
01-09-2016, 01:02
A number of people are recommending use of smartphone for gps functions but here is my take on main differences:

standalone GPS units are much more rugged
GPS runs much longer on batteries with screen available for viewing
GPS is waterproof
phone is needed for emergency calls
smartphones have bigger screens
some GPS models can be operated with gloves on

Personally, I am partial to Garmin and I have 3 Garmin hiking gps units eTrex 30 (my current favoirte), eTrex Vista HCx and Astro. I use both eTrex units a lot because I want to have multiple tracks from my hikes for marking trails on OpenStreetMap.org. I don't use Astro (it has dog tracking radio) because our dog always stays close to us and after 3 hikes we realized that we didn't need it at all.

When I go to geocaching events I see a lot of people using Oregon and GPSMAPS 64 (or earlier versions), however, if you hike in winter when it gets really cold you may want to consider if a touch screen Oregon is really for you.

The thing about Garmin is that you will need maps. I have an older version of Garmin Topo 100k and the contour lines look good while trails are basically non-existent. While Garmin may have improved that map since I bought it I would not be able to tell. My geocaching friends tell me that 24k maps are much better in terms of trail coverage and I'm guessing that this is a way Garmin differentiates its products. Then there is OpenStreetMap.org that you can get pre-compiled for Garmin GPS units for free. OSM does not have contour lines but it has lots of trails also for smaller parks that will be hard to find elsewhere. Once you install multiple maps on your Garmin you can switch between them, so I have both Garmin Topo 100k and OSM at the same time and most of the time I use OSM occasionally switching to Garmin Topo.

I have posted before on how to install OSM maps on newer Garmin models e.g. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111660-Best-(ideally-free)-maps-to-install-on-a-GPS-unit?p=1974467&viewfull=1#post1974467

Maui Rhino
01-09-2016, 05:19
I'm a big fan of Delorme. Their PN-60 GPS is full color, waterproof, and comes with the excellent Topo North America mapping program. You can print custom topo maps at any scale, and easily share data between your gps and computer. However, a stand-alone GPS is a dinosaur, as someone else said.

You should seriously look into the new version of theDelorme inReach, which combines a full featured GPS unit and satellite based 2-way text messaging in one device. The messaging service requires a monthly fee, however, it is totally worth it just for your family's peace of mind. You can check in with them, or summon a rescue with a push of a button, even without cell service.

Traveler
01-09-2016, 06:44
The Oregon 600 garmin is 250 at Cabelas right now. With club points it will probably be 200$. The 64 is 350$. Since they are both garmin products will they work equally side by side? From what I've been messing around with it seems I need to find someone that has tracked the trail if I want to see it on my device or track it myself. But at least if I lost the trail I could follow my track back out.

The short answer is no. There are several differences between these devices, however the most important difference is in the signal capturing ability of the quad helix aerial. The 64 has a far more robust signal tracking capability that rarely fades under canopies and areas that have limited sky view. I have seen most of the lower cost GPS devices fail in areas like these, where the 64 kept on humming along. The 600 is a nice device, big screen and easy features to use, but they are designed more for biking and boating than for hiking or mountaineering.

Again, it really depends what you are using the GPS for. If all you need is to find out where you are on well marked and worn in trail like the AT, then a smartphone app or the 600 will probably work well, though you may have to move around or out from under heavy canopy to get signal. If you are using the device to track routes you are bushwhacking or are in and out of canyons and deep ravines a lot for example, a higher end GPS like the 64 would be a better way to go.

Doc
01-09-2016, 08:23
I am very happy with my Garmin 650t. Much easier for me than the Delorme PN-60 which seemed to have a much steeper learning curve. My IPhone 6 consumes battery power pretty quickly when I use various programs like Map my ride. If I just want a compass or which way is home, my phone works fine. On day hikes I usually have both.

Kaptainkriz
01-09-2016, 08:55
I'm alao a fan of the eTrex. 22 hrs continuous use on a pair of AA, very high sensitivity, rugged, and waterproof.
I have an eTrex 20 and upload topo and trails from gpsfiledepot.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/202/

A number of people are recommending use of smartphone for gps functions but here is my take on main differences:

standalone GPS units are much more rugged
GPS runs much longer on batteries with screen available for viewing
GPS is waterproof
phone is needed for emergency calls
smartphones have bigger screens
some GPS models can be operated with gloves on

Personally, I am partial to Garmin and I have 3 Garmin hiking gps units eTrex 30 (my current favoirte), eTrex Vista HCx and Astro. I use both eTrex units a lot because I want to have multiple tracks from my hikes for marking trails on OpenStreetMap.org. I don't use Astro (it has dog tracking radio) because our dog always stays close to us and after 3 hikes we realized that we didn't need it at all.

When I go to geocaching events I see a lot of people using Oregon and GPSMAPS 64 (or earlier versions), however, if you hike in winter when it gets really cold you may want to consider if a touch screen Oregon is really for you.

The thing about Garmin is that you will need maps. I have an older version of Garmin Topo 100k and the contour lines look good while trails are basically non-existent. While Garmin may have improved that map since I bought it I would not be able to tell. My geocaching friends tell me that 24k maps are much better in terms of trail coverage and I'm guessing that this is a way Garmin differentiates its products. Then there is OpenStreetMap.org that you can get pre-compiled for Garmin GPS units for free. OSM does not have contour lines but it has lots of trails also for smaller parks that will be hard to find elsewhere. Once you install multiple maps on your Garmin you can switch between them, so I have both Garmin Topo 100k and OSM at the same time and most of the time I use OSM occasionally switching to Garmin Topo.

I have posted before on how to install OSM maps on newer Garmin models e.g. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111660-Best-(ideally-free)-maps-to-install-on-a-GPS-unit?p=1974467&viewfull=1#post1974467

Rex Clifton
01-09-2016, 09:09
I highly recommend a separate gps. I've tried the gps apps for my smartphone (Gaia and Backcountry) and they don't come close to the utility of my Garmin Oregon. If you do any off trail hiking a dedicated gps is invaluable. The other thing to point out is that you can find online, for free, a wealth of gps data you can add to your unit. Get familiar with Garmin BaseCamp and you'll be able to plan your trips in detail. Well worth the extra pack weight.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

sethd513
01-09-2016, 10:06
this would not be used for the at. It would be used for wilderness areas and bushwacking. I had assumed that the touch screen gps may not be a good idea in winter. I like the idea of being able to use it in case of a rescue or getting in contact with family. Unfortunately I thought the Oregon 600 being a 400$ unit would be a good find at 200$ but I'm very thankful for this info. I downloaded base camp and figured out how to upload other ppls tracks but I don't see elevation on the base camp program. Do the maps that are for sale on garmin have every trail in the area they cover? It's 100$ for New England seems kinda steep

colorado_rob
01-09-2016, 10:31
If you know your way around maps, I wonder if you could use a paper map with a UTM grid & one of those tiny little GPS units that just spit out raw coordinates. A very basic tactic, but sufficient for verifying your location on the trail & tracking progress.This is my Modus Operandi, I use the teeny-tiny little Garmin Fortrex 401 wrist GPS, a couple ounces, seems to be highly sensitive and accurate, small display, no maps, but great for just getting your coordinates and for laying down a track (and/or waypoints) that you can follow back out OR for pre-loading with a known track or waypoints. A set of AAA batteries lasts for about 16 hours.

We go off trail a lot out here in CO, and this is all the GPS we ever need. My wife carries her Garmin Etrex, heavy, and really no more useful except the maps, which really don't seem to be that useful on the device itself, but she like carrying it, so that's fine. I've had my little Fortrex 401 for 6-7 years now, still kicking. I can't believe how sensitive it's receiver is; even in deep canyons it manages to keep a track going most of the time.

dervari
01-09-2016, 11:49
The 600 is a nice device, big screen and easy features to use, but they are designed more for biking and boating than for hiking or mountaineering.

I've never had an issue where my 650 lost the GPS signal while hiking, even in a heavy canopy.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
01-09-2016, 13:39
I have a 600. I usually leave it at home. GutHook's app is all I need on the AT and performs just like a GPS. If I were going to a lesser-traveled trail or into the backcountry with no track available then a GPS would be necessary. But for the AT it was extra weight.

iAmKrzys
01-09-2016, 13:40
this would not be used for the at. It would be used for wilderness areas and bushwacking. I had assumed that the touch screen gps may not be a good idea in winter. I like the idea of being able to use it in case of a rescue or getting in contact with family. Unfortunately I thought the Oregon 600 being a 400$ unit would be a good find at 200$ but I'm very thankful for this info. I downloaded base camp and figured out how to upload other ppls tracks but I don't see elevation on the base camp program. Do the maps that are for sale on garmin have every trail in the area they cover? It's 100$ for New England seems kinda steep

You will see elevation in BaseCamp once you install Garmin Topo maps. As I said earlier, you probably won't see much trail data with Garmin Topo 100k, but Garmin Topo 24k might have better coverage (I don't own one, so I can't really tell.) I seriously doubt that ANY maps will have ALL trails that are also correctly marked on the map. You may want to look at this post http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/97087-Wardens-seek-hikers-aid-in-finding-woman-lost-from-Appalachian-Trail-Kennebec-Jour?p=2029189&viewfull=1#post2029189 that has a link to USGS Topo map (via caltopo.com) in the background with current AT route overlayed in red - the USGS map is simply out of date! Hence, I really recommend that you look at OpenStreetMap.org and check out some of the trails that you are familiar with and see if they are marked on OSM: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/44.2683/-71.3014&layers=C

Kaptainkriz
01-09-2016, 14:32
This will give you pretty nice topo of the NE with elevation in basecamp:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/200/

sethd513
01-09-2016, 21:54
This will give you pretty nice topo of the NE with elevation in basecamp:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/200/

I'm stuck with a Mac. Now windows

Kaptainkriz
01-09-2016, 22:10
doh, sorry, thought that link had both installers. :(

I'm stuck with a Mac. Now windows

sethd513
01-09-2016, 22:50
Not a problem. Thank you though for the help. I'm going to fool around some more with base camp and see where it takes me. I might just be better off taking a class to learn the ins and out of navigating with a compass and map. I really want to pull the trigger on the Oregon 600 due to it being only 200$ though.

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2016, 23:06
I have the Garmin 450 with full maps and have the ability to add state and other maps and stuff them into the unit... Its early I think there will be better apps in the near future. - So far Google maps with the bike feature turned on is one of the best. lights up rail to trails and other locations...

Just got to convince them to add hiking trails for example.

The crappy and easy to use "tracks" on the phone is fantastic.

otherwise use Backpacker app.

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2016, 23:07
I don't have gaia - looks pretty good too... I don't edit anymore.

Rex Clifton
01-10-2016, 10:09

If you dont want to $pring for the Garmin maps (they are pricey) you can get maps for free at gps file depot and they work really well. The only thing they don't have is 3d effect which is nice on a pc but not so much on a handheld. Any trails shown on either the Garmin or file depot maps (I assume) are based on the USGS quads and should be considered unreliable. I disagree about the unit not being usefull for the AT. On my Oregon I have tracks for the entire trail, with around a 50 mile radius on either side. I also have waypoints for all the lean-to's, parking lots and various other points of interest, like post offices near the trail. In addition, on this same unit, I have all the trails in GSMNP, including all the campsites, trailheads and parking lots. Not bad for an item that fits in the hipbelt pocket of my ULA Circuit with room to spare.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

sethd513
01-10-2016, 11:49
all the downloads ive taken off of gpsfiledepot wont open in my base camp. i go to imput and im not allowed to click on them. ive downloaded them for mac and ive tried opening them after the download and unarchiving still with the same outcome.

Kaptainkriz
01-10-2016, 12:33
Most of the files are installer executables for maps. The maps then show up under the maps tab in basecamp. Generally you don't open or input or import them from within basecamp.

all the downloads ive taken off of gpsfiledepot wont open in my base camp. i go to imput and im not allowed to click on them. ive downloaded them for mac and ive tried opening them after the download and unarchiving still with the same outcome.

sethd513
01-10-2016, 14:25
Yea idk I don't see the options you are talking about or from garmin. I have the old basecamp bc our Mac book is like 8 years old. I'm assuming I need the newer Mac book for the most ease of use from the program.