PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks in GSMNP

txulrich
12-12-2005, 18:01
I've looked through the forums and haven't seen this addressed. What are other thru-hiker hammock users doing in the GSMNP where you're not supposed to hang? :confused:

Peace,
Joe

Seeker
12-12-2005, 18:33
stealth camping? staying in shelters?

SGT Rock
12-12-2005, 20:02
Go to a shelter and hope the thru-hikers have filled it up. Carry a pad for insulation in case you lose and have to sleep in one.

Hikerhead
12-12-2005, 20:28
There's probably a way to hang it up in the shelter. This works best when there's only a few people staying there.

RobK
12-12-2005, 23:51
From what I've read, during the heavy thru-hiker season (March and April), it is not unusual to have 10 to 15 folks that can't fit in the shelters and have to tent / hammock regardless.

murphyw
12-13-2005, 10:11
I'm thinking of taking the Brenton Makay Trail (Sp!?) instead through the Smokies. Would I miss significant views? Would I be sure to hang my hammock every night that way?

--Bill

generoll
12-13-2005, 11:07
leave a note for Hammock Hangar in trailjournals.com. She hiked the BMT as far as the Ocoee river and as far as I know used her hammock the whole way. I don't know if anyone has done much of the BMT past the Ocoee.

SGT Rock
12-14-2005, 10:19
I'm thinking of taking the Brenton Makay Trail (Sp!?) instead through the Smokies. Would I miss significant views? Would I be sure to hang my hammock every night that way?

--Bill
The BMT does pass through the Smokies and during the opening cerimony, the regional ATC director said they were considering making the BMT and acceptable alternate route for 2000 miler certification (a good start IMO) since the AT was getting so over-used and it was having a negative impact on the trail (sounds like something people like Weary and me have advocated for a while) - anyway, there are a few campsites on the BMT that do not require advanced reservations - and with a campsite in the Smokies you also don't have to worry about bing jammed into a shelter. Right now the only problem as I see it is the fact you will have to make an itenerary and do reservations for some of the campstites when you enter the park at 20 mile ranger station (if you are NOBO) so you might want to study on the route a little before you get there if that really is your plan. The BMTA (www.bmta.org) has info about advanced itenerary, but their new site is under construction in some places still, so it isn't on there yet. The GSMNP has a PDF file about this at http://www.bmta.org/sections/Smokies_Trails_Descriptions.pdf

Personally this is how I have already decided to do it.

Burn
12-14-2005, 16:00
i hung my hammock in the rafters of shelters that had bear fences...actually everyone wanted to see me fall off the second teer of the bunks, then when i got it set up the 2nd teer folks would hang onto my hammock so they could get down safer. someone has bound to have some pictures of me hanging out in the smokies.

SGT Rock
12-14-2005, 16:03
I try to avoid putting a hammock in a shelter, just seems like bad manners to me to take up that area like that - besides I hate shelters.

There are also some issues about stress placed on some of the supports if you hang a hammock in a shelter. Some parts may look strong enough but you can damage a shelter unintentionally.

Burn
12-17-2005, 09:49
being a builder, i wouldn't think an extra 250 lbs would even put any stress on even the worst shelter roof systems. i can see yer point rock....seems advocating anything anymore could almost advocate abuse of and eventual destruction of the stuff we love.

i did ask permission from my shelter friends and i was much warmer. one thing i would note...a cute ranger gal asked me how many were in the shelter the previous night, i guestimated 20 and said i hammocked outside since it was packed....she really frowned on that, even with the number of folks inside. there is really no way to avoid the shelters legally....and the rangers seem to get a very early start when they come up top to check how things are.

Youngblood
12-17-2005, 16:46
Depending on how you hang your hammock, you can put up to several times your body weight on each suspension rope... it might be enough to pull some things out of place? We had someone who had that experience with a shelter post that info on this site a couple of years back.

Peaks
12-17-2005, 17:12
If you so desire, hammock can usually be rigged up in shelters from the rafters and joists.

Youngblood
12-17-2005, 19:07
You might want to read this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2668 , especially post #7 if you are considering rigging up a hammock in a shelter.

The Unknown Hiker
12-17-2005, 19:22
If you go through with the March crowds, the shelters may well be full - then you can either tent or hammock legally.

Actually, I wonder that the park officials don't allow hammocking near the shelters regardless of fullness. You're not putting a tent on the ground.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2005, 19:38
Option One is to do what tenters and tarpers do in the Smokies: Take a shelter space and sleep there.

Option Two: One is allowed to camp in the areas immediately adjacent to the shelters if they're full. Either arrive at the shelters towards dinnertime, or arrive earlier, and sit around outside and let them fill up. Then you can set up outside in comfort, while not breaking any rules or regulations.

siouxdog
12-17-2005, 20:06
i've spent probably 75 nights in the park and have never stayed in a shelter. sometimes they were full and sometimes they weren't. only once did a ridgerunner say something to me about the shelter not being full. i told him that because of my bag i could not sleep in a shelter and that if a ranger did come i would just have to pay the fine. if you think about it what greater example of L.N.T. than hanging a hammock!

Rain Man
12-18-2005, 11:40
being a builder, i wouldn't think an extra 250 lbs would even put any stress on even the worst shelter roof systems.....

But Burn, the only way to put only your own body weight on a rope (and thereby, what it is attached to) is if you hang STRAIGHT DOWN.

Being a caver (well, ex-caver) somewhat familiar with rope knotting and rigging safety, I can tell you that you can put many times your own body weight on a rope by rigging horizonally (i.e., the way hammocks are rigged). I used to be able to recite the formula for calculating same, but alas it's been too long ago now.

A classic vertical caving book is "On Rope" by Bruce Smith and Allen Padgett, which can be got from the National Speleological Society at http://www.caves.org/ . If I can find the formula or a reference table, I'll post it later.

Rain:sunMan

sliderule
12-18-2005, 12:04
If you go through with the March crowds, the shelters may well be full - then you can either tent or hammock legally.

But only if you have a thru hiker permit.

Solitary Bird
12-18-2005, 12:35
Is this peculiar to GSMP or are ther other places on the trail opposed to hammock camping? I realize about the trail going above the tree line, but doesn't it also come down to below, so one can hang there? New dude, new uneducated ideas, please bear with me. I'd like to do the trail in my HH. Am now researching the obstacles. Thanks.

Jerry

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2005, 13:09
Bird---

There are a few---very few---places on the Trail where camping of ANY sort is restricted, limited to specific sites, or flat-out prohibited, but this is very rare.

While there are certainly treeless places on the trail----ridges, grassy balds, etc., in most cases, people don't camp on these places in any case because they tend to be exposed and windy. And if the weather's nice, one has the option of "cowboy" camping, i.e. just lying out on the ground without setting up tent, hammock, or tarp.

In the higher elevations, especially up North, there are treeless places where hammocking is not possible, but in almost every case, once again, these are exposed, windy places where you probably wouldn't want to overnight anyway; plus, in some areas, camping near or above treeline is forbidden, with good reason, as these areas are generally considered to be ecologically fragile, they have delicate plants, etc.

In short, the answer to your question is that there are certainly places on the Trail where you can't hammock, but in most cases, these are places where you wouldn't want to be spending the night anyway.

Peaks
12-18-2005, 17:21
Is this peculiar to GSMP or are ther other places on the trail opposed to hammock camping? I realize about the trail going above the tree line, but doesn't it also come down to below, so one can hang there? New dude, new uneducated ideas, please bear with me. I'd like to do the trail in my HH. Am now researching the obstacles. Thanks.

Jerry

I wouldn't say that GSMNP or anyplace else is opposed to hammocks. It's just that regulations in GSMNP say that if the shelter isn't full, then stay inside.

Solitary Bird
12-19-2005, 11:29
So, from what I gather from you 2 gentlemen, I'm going to a need a tent ,my hammock will just be coming along for the ride. So much for my weight saving!!! A Europa 5 , appropriate bag and pad, will increase my packweight and lessen my available fundage. I am no longer devoted to the hammock, Looks like I'll be cruising with a tent, How disappointing.

Patrick
12-19-2005, 12:01
Bird, what's making you think you can't hammock?

Big Dawg
12-19-2005, 21:01
So, from what I gather from you 2 gentlemen, I'm going to a need a tent ,my hammock will just be coming along for the ride. So much for my weight saving!!! A Europa 5 , appropriate bag and pad, will increase my packweight and lessen my available fundage. I am no longer devoted to the hammock, Looks like I'll be cruising with a tent, How disappointing.

huh? :confused:

Burn
12-24-2005, 14:33
jack, i know, i know, i didn't get there yet, but i carry 2 rock nuts for climbing so i could hopefully hook up to some cracks to hammock in likely areas up north. i did this just from viewing pics, and am sure that it could be done and for the wt junkies, i think my 2 are just an oz more or less

Smooth
12-26-2005, 20:52
Burn, you are a builder? So am I! The formula is each rope pulls one half the weight divided by the sine of the rope angle from horizontal. So if the person weighs 150 lbs and the hammock is set at 15 deg. (set up tight) then each rope pulls aprox. 289 lbs. So long as you are not bouncing on it. The BMT works, I did not take it but knew one couple that did. Take the willingness to change. Bring love.

Burn
12-26-2005, 22:46
nice fomuli....i have one that is more or less framer logic...1 nail holds 250 lbs, i didn't count nails, but knew i'd be fine, and i never had any hikN honeys, so ixNey on the Bazouncing A...rats

JP
12-27-2005, 13:47
Bird... Dont know what kind of hammock you have,just cover it with a tarp, use a plastic sheet for a tarp to save some cash.
Joe... Remember the bears in 72 ? Don't put any rootbeer mix in your water bottle !!! Hang your food and check your pockets to be sure you dont take food into your hammock.

txulrich
12-27-2005, 14:54
Bird... Dont know what kind of hammock you have,just cover it with a tarp, use a plastic sheet for a tarp to save some cash.
Joe... Remember the bears in 72 ? Don't put any rootbeer mix in your water bottle !!! Hang your food and check your pockets to be sure you dont take food into your hammock.

Do I remember them??? Check out the bear encounters thread. :p http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2878&page=3 Post #59