PDA

View Full Version : Freestanding tent rental??

saltysack
01-08-2016, 12:02
I'm in need of a free standing tent for the Watertribe Everglades challenge 7 day 300 mile expedition race from Tampa Bay to Key Largo through the glades (March 5-11 2016). I'm attempting it on my sup. I use a LHG solong6 which isn't freestanding. When in the glades I'll be camping approx 2-3 nights on a chickee(dock) which requires a free standing tent. Not allowed to drive nails for anchor points nor will I bring my required trekking poles! Don't see the need to spend a lot of money on a tent I'll rarely use. Does anyone know a tent store that rents them? I hate to abuse rei and return after race. I'm located near Jacksonville, Fl.
Thx
Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEDON
01-08-2016, 12:24
No idea on these guys. Stumbled on them when thinking of renting Vs. buying for a section hike. There are others out there that rent if you can't find one in your neck of the wood.

https://www.lowergear.com/product.php/cat/2

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 12:45
Why bother with a tent? I'd think it'd be so cumbersome for the manner in which you are traveling

saltysack
01-08-2016, 13:09
Why bother with a tent? I'd think it'd be so cumbersome for the manner in which you are traveling

Mainly bugs!!! I have a hammock but no net..I don't sleep good in hammock. Want to be able to cook etc inside!

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 13:27
gotcha! I have no idea what manly Everglades bugs are capable of. After a quick Google search it appears SUP camping is a "thing" and for that I applaud your efforts. If I were you I'd look at taking only what you'd need, and would a tent be something you'd truly need? Whereas a tarp, on poncho or jacket could suffice. Pain and discomfort are temporary!

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 13:41
This also sound like insane amounts of fun!!

saltysack
01-08-2016, 14:06
gotcha! I have no idea what manly Everglades bugs are capable of. After a quick Google search it appears SUP camping is a "thing" and for that I applaud your efforts. If I were you I'd look at taking only what you'd need, and would a tent be something you'd truly need? Whereas a tarp, on poncho or jacket could suffice. Pain and discomfort are temporary!

SUP is a stand up paddleboard... This isn't my first rodeo I paddled the St. John's River in Florida a few years ago which is over 300 miles but I spent 12 days doing it. There are rules that require you carry certain items in which a tent is one. It would take a fool not to carry a bug shelter!! They will carry you off! My board is 17'6" long with gear lash points at bow and stern. I pack similar to my light weight hikes even though weight isn't as big a concern as I'm floating not carrying. Also carry more safety required gear i.e. Spot, plb, gps, dry suit, cell phone, vhf, strobe/flares etc and tend to back up gear a little more like lights etc. Your truly in the wilderness. The 100 miles of the wilderness waterway between Everglades city and Flamingo is remote!

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 14:17
! If it's a tent you won't use ever again, don't bother with REI. Go to Walmart or Target and buy the cheapest one they have, or a Craigslist special.

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 14:25
http://www.walmart.com/ip/7-x-7-Dome-Tent-Sleeps-2/42206190

Venchka
01-08-2016, 15:58
yEP. tHAT wALMART TENT IS way CHEAPER THAN RENTING.

Wayne

archie
01-08-2016, 16:11
Check with a local university rec department. I have rented various gear at a local college for cheap. Last year I rented two kayaks for guests for a week and it was only 20 bucks total.

Just a thought

saltysack
01-08-2016, 16:57
Thx all...I can't bring myself to buying a wal mart tent!! I'd rather buy from rei and return!!! Buy from Walmart then throw away! Just kidding....guess I'm a gear snob! I came across a cheap diy tent/dock anchor idea so think I'll take my favorite tent!! The solong6! Judy @ LHG graciously offered a set of tent poles so should be good to go..

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 17:02
Why would you use borrowed poles and not your own trekking poles?

saltysack
01-08-2016, 17:04
http://www.walmart.com/ip/7-x-7-Dome-Tent-Sleeps-2/42206190

Damn..that looks nice for under $30!!! Ha...causes cancer.....Another fine product made in a sweat shop from China...[emoji90]hard to believe they can make it that cheap..a footprint for most tents cost more than that!

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 17:05
Oh wait they were given, anyways glad you've got that solved. Good luck!

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 17:07
Even if you went with a Walmart tent nobody but you would know it. Everyone else will be spent and fending for themselves

chknfngrs
01-08-2016, 17:11
What route does this course follow? Waterways or bays? And SUP and canoes and kayaks or motored craft? Not Appalachian Trail but a stinkin good time it looks to be! Will you go it alone or with a team? Thanks for hipping us to new adventures

saltysack
01-09-2016, 12:21
What route does this course follow? Waterways or bays? And SUP and canoes and kayaks or motored craft? Not Appalachian Trail but a stinkin good time it looks to be! Will you go it alone or with a team? Thanks for hipping us to new adventures

WaterTribe
Expedition-Style Adventure Racing In Small Boats

“The purpose of WaterTribe is to encourage the development of boats, equipment, skills and human athletic performance for safe and efficient coastal cruising using minimal impact human and wind powered watercraft based on sea kayaks, canoes, and small sailboats.” ~ Chief, February 2000

“A life changing experience!” ~ Heard many times.

What does expedition-style mean? It means that you need to be self-sufficient and carry all the supplies and equipment that you would expect to carry on a major kayaking or sailing expedition. This is not a “round the buoys” race with an empty boat and someone watching out for your safety. You are on your own.

Why do you call it an adventure race? Almost anyone can paddle or sail from Tampa Bay to Key Largo given enough time and good weather. If the weather is bad, just sit it out or end the trip. Take as long as you want. But if you put an 8-day time limit on it and do it in any weather, you will make it more challenging with plenty of adventure.

Are sea kayaks racing against sailboats? No. We have 6 different classes. There are three kayak/canoe classes with and without sails. There is a class for small mono-hull sailboats. Another class for small multi-hull sailboats, and finally an open class that even includes small electric auxiliaries.

Water Rat
01-09-2016, 12:28
Love exploring on my SUP and this sounds like a grand adventure!

Obviously you need to carry enough water to get you through the day, but is there water available at the camp stops? Or, do we get to learn about portable salt water desalinization units? :)

Good luck and have fun!

saltysack
01-09-2016, 12:37
You pass plenty of marinas on inside route etc until Marco island. Longest dry area is the 100 mile wilderness waterway through the glades to flamingo. I'll carry a 2.5 gal Msr drom and few nalgenes.

Slack-jawed Trog
01-13-2016, 21:34
Saltysack, REI rents equipment, and I used to rent from EMS but I don't know if they still have rentals. OTOH, that WallyWorld special can't be beat for a week's excursion. YMMV, and invariably will...

MuddyWaters
01-13-2016, 21:40
Has no one said just buy one from REI, use it, and return it?

yeah, its sleazy.

Venchka
01-13-2016, 21:44
Amazing that this race is still happening. I haven't heard about in ages. You forgot about the requirement to launch from the beach. Kinda rules out my Caledonia yawl. Too bad because she would smoke a course like that.
Good luck! Waiting for the results.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Traveler
01-14-2016, 08:26
Has no one said just buy one from REI, use it, and return it?

yeah, its sleazy.

If you buy clothing, wear it a few times, then return it, then buying/returning a tent after using it makes sense!

swisscross
01-14-2016, 12:14
I am surprised you don't know anyone that has a tent you can borrow.

Water Rat
01-14-2016, 12:35
Thx all...I can't bring myself to buying a wal mart tent!! I'd rather buy from rei and return!!! Buy from Walmart then throw away! Just kidding....guess I'm a gear snob! I came across a cheap diy tent/dock anchor idea so think I'll take my favorite tent!! The solong6! Judy @ LHG graciously offered a set of tent poles so should be good to go..

For those who are still posting solutions, the OP (saltysack) has already solved his dilemma. Please see his post above.

Cuacoatchoo
01-15-2016, 17:54
If you're making your own. I'd do it out of as much mesh as possible to catch breeze. My walmart tent was $20. Definitely doesn't breathe as well as my $500 tent but it works and I wouldn't cry if it got soaked in salt water. Pretty sure all the big name tent manufacturers sold at REI are manufactured literally in the same factory in China. It's just different designs and logos.

Last time I was in Florida, there were very few outdoor adventure stores besides Dick's. I think they're more into water sports down there than camping in python and gaitor territory.