PDA

View Full Version : Wy Hikers Grow Beards

Cosmo
01-08-2016, 20:21
i'm embarrassed to say I saw this on TV the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo-x0IlgrE0

Cosmo

MuddyWaters
01-08-2016, 20:24
Not only in WY, but hikers everywhere.

Actually, beards have been making a comeback with young people for the last several years. The first ones I noticed were some professional baseball and football players a couple years ago, now 20 somethings all over look like hikers.

Sarcasm the elf
01-08-2016, 22:35
Actually, beards have been making a comeback with young people for the last several years. The first ones I noticed were some professional baseball and football players a couple years ago, now 20 somethings all over look like hikers.

This has been screwing me up to some extent. On a couple of occasions I've found myself talking to skinny twenty somethings with giant beards and mistakenly assumed that they were hikers or climbers or the like, only to find out that it was just for fashion.

A buddy of mine who sports the sort of crazy beard that you would normally associate with an 1840's gold miner got dragged to a party in Brooklyn a while back. He was talking to a girl and when he brought up that he was a backpacker, mountaineer, and ultra runner the girl remarked "Oh, so you're a real mountain man, not a Williamsburg mountain man!" :rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
01-08-2016, 22:39
I've had a beard ever since I could grow one for two simple reasons. 1) I'm too lazy to shave and 2) I've probably saved several thousand dollars over the years by not buying shaving cream and razors!

Jake2c
01-08-2016, 22:56
The navy was my career. Sailors had beards until in the 1980s they decided to outlaw them. I stared growing facial hair again as soon as I retired. I still go to sea, now on sailboats, and in fact long distance sailing is what I will do when I return from this years thru hike attempt/finish.

Puddlefish
01-08-2016, 23:16
I grow a beard every winter, and shave sporadically in the warmer months. Double edged razors, a bar of soap and I can shave for $5 a year. I have no intention of growing a trail beard, I get enough crap in it around the house, I can't imagine how filthy it would be on the trail. I'm way too lazy to groom a fashion beard... which might be part of why I'm single.

LoneStranger
01-09-2016, 07:04
Since this was posted in the Cooking and Food forum I sort expected the post to be about the advantages of using your beard for food storage. Maybe something about having a double portion of oatmeal for breakfast so you can snack on what is stuck in your beard for the rest of the morning :)

One Half
01-10-2016, 11:46
This has been screwing me up to some extent. On a couple of occasions I've found myself talking to skinny twenty somethings with giant beards and mistakenly assumed that they were hikers or climbers or the like, only to find out that it was just for fashion.

A buddy of mine who sports the sort of crazy beard that you would normally associate with an 1840's gold miner got dragged to a party in Brooklyn a while back. He was talking to a girl and when he brought up that he was a backpacker, mountaineer, and ultra runner the girl remarked "Oh, so you're a real mountain man, not a Williamsburg mountain man!" :rolleyes:

No. A real mountain man splits wood, hunts, can fix a car (at least well enough to get it into his or his buddies garage), distill liquor and make mead and beer, grill a steak to perfection, clean a fish he caught and cook it on an open fire, and knows how to smoke and jerk the meat he hunted. He also has a beard year round and keeps it well. And he also makes sure his significant other knows they are loved. And flannel is NOT a "fashion statement for him but a lifestyle choice."

Sarcasm the elf
01-10-2016, 11:53
No. [/B]A real mountain man splits wood, hunts, can fix a car (at least well enough to get it into his or his buddies garage), distill liquor and make mead and beer, grill a steak to perfection, clean a fish he caught and cook it on an open fire, and knows how to smoke and jerk the meat he hunted. He also has a beard year round and keeps it well. And he also makes sure his significant other knows they are loved. And flannel is NOT a "fashion statement for him but a lifestyle choice."

Not that I disagree with most of your statement, but I think you need to spend some time in Brooklyn before you can fully appreciate the humor of the girl's comment.

You many enjoy this commentary about the hipster beards (Warning: Contains strong language and some inappropriate remarks)
http://sabotagetimes.com/life/an-open-letter-to-bearded-hipsters-stop-ruining-my-beard-fetish