PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Near Trail

Max Power
12-12-2005, 18:18
There are many things to be aware of while on the Appalachian Trail. At Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area one of those things to be aware of are hunters, or at least this guy. A deer decoy operation was in place at the southern end of the park. A hunter came to one of the decoys in his truck, stopped his pickup in the road, and immediately shot at a white-tail deer from inside his vehicle (again this was a decoy dear.) Upon further investigation rangers found that in addition to the illegal hunting, the man was driving on a suspended license, had open containers of alcohol in the truck, and was intoxicated enough to fail a breathalyzer test.
Needless to say, he was charged with numerous violations.

veteran
12-12-2005, 18:27
He must have also been taking DUMB Pills.

the goat
12-12-2005, 18:35
so did he bag the deer or not?!?!

Just Jeff
12-12-2005, 19:29
I know a guy that was in his truck, parked with a girl, late at night. All the sudden he stopped, grabbed his gun off the rack, jumped out of the truck wearing nothing but his socks, and bagged a deer. Finished his business, then went and put the deer in the back of the truck.

You might be a redneck if...

icemanat95
12-12-2005, 20:42
As long as there is no law against hunting at the time he was doing so, didn't illuminate (jack) the deer, and he got out of the truck before shouldering his gun, then he was legal. Nothing wrong with that.

The first guy was a self-limiting problem...he was so screwed up he was bound to get cuaght...and he did, serving as an object lesson to all the other idiots who won't follow the rules and regs. He'll do jail time for at least the drunk driving, lose his gun for the hunting violations, probably never get his license back again to hunt or own a gun...he's done.

Tha Wookie
12-12-2005, 21:32
It is common for Park Service rangers to go undercover with a radio-controlled fake dear to lure poachers. I've seen it in several parks, and heard about it in many.

People shoot them all the time.

Hikerhead
12-12-2005, 21:39
I've heard a story of one hunter who shot a decoy 3 or 4 times. He couldn't believe that he was that bad of a shot.

neo
12-12-2005, 21:41
There are many things to be aware of while on the Appalachian Trail. At Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area one of those things to be aware of are hunters, or at least this guy. A deer decoy operation was in place at the southern end of the park. A hunter came to one of the decoys in his truck, stopped his pickup in the road, and immediately shot at a white-tail deer from inside his vehicle (again this was a decoy dear.) Upon further investigation rangers found that in addition to the illegal hunting, the man was driving on a suspended license, had open containers of alcohol in the truck, and was intoxicated enough to fail a breathalyzer test.

sounds like a idiot redneck,do they have rednecks up north lol:cool: neo

Just Jeff
12-12-2005, 23:08
I have as many rednecks on my mom's side of the family in Ohio as I have on my dad's side in Mississippi and Georgia. They're everywhere, I tell ya!

the1stranger
12-13-2005, 00:22
Medications.

FatMan
12-13-2005, 00:25
He probably had a dog too.:bse

TooTall
12-13-2005, 00:30
He'll do jail time for at least the drunk driving, lose his gun for the hunting violations, probably never get his license back again to hunt or own a gun...he's done.

Nah, if he's willing to drive around on a suspended license he's willing to hunt without a permit. He's heading for more trouble but he'll still be out there.

Too Tall Paul

Nightwalker
12-13-2005, 05:37
A hunter came to one of the decoys in his truck, stopped his pickup in the road, and immediately shot at a white-tail deer from inside his vehicle (again this was a decoy dear.) Upon further investigation rangers found that in addition to the illegal hunting, the man was driving on a suspended license, had open containers of alcohol in the truck, and was intoxicated enough to fail a breathalyzer test.
Real Dumas material.

Newb
12-13-2005, 10:51
J.D. and I were up there camping last month and I couldn't believe the number of hunters I saw. That stretch of forest is a fairly narrow gap between ridges, and there were hundreds of people parking and heading into the woods with weapons at the ready. Not an optimum condition.

Scribe
12-13-2005, 13:09
Our Conservation (Fish and Wildlife) Department placed one of those fake deer alongside a county road -- and nailed the County Sheriff, who had shot multiple times at the fake from his squad car. No word on whether or not his shots were accurate.

fiddlehead
12-13-2005, 13:34
These stories are plentiful here in PA.
This story above is typical of this area and that guy is not alone. Folks around here would probably say that he was only unlucky enough to get caught.
These are all contributing reasons to why i moved away. (I am back home temporarily right now but only for 3 more weeks)
The other day i went to our local bookstore to buy a copy of Backpacker mag as i heard they reviewed my 1st movie. Well, they had 13 different deer hunter magazine and had never heard of Backpacker magazine. And about 50 miles of trail runs through our county.

icemanat95
12-13-2005, 13:38
Nah, if he's willing to drive around on a suspended license he's willing to hunt without a permit. He's heading for more trouble but he'll still be out there.

Too Tall Paul

It'll be a heck of a lot harder for him. There are a few felonies in there and that automatically makes it illegal for him to own or possess a firearm in the United States. While federal law does not include muzzle-loaders in that defiition, many state laws do, and of course purchasing ammunition and powder for muzzle-loaders is also prohibited (depending upon jurisdiction).

Now he could always hunt with someone else's firearm and hope he doesn't get cuaght, but if he does, the guy who lent him or stra purchased the firearm for him will be in as big trouble as he himself would be. He would be looking at significant jail time (5-10) years or more on a felony charge.

Sure he could choose to break more laws, but the penalties are really starting to stack up for this guy.

Just Jeff
12-13-2005, 14:49
Or he could take up bow hunting, I guess.

When we shut down the ranges at Eglin AFB to hunters after 9/11, we ran into an issue because some of the nearby families hunt for food. Not like supplementing their income, but they actually relied on hunting to feed their families, and by closing the ranges to civilians we were significantly impacting their ability to do that.

Do you think exceptions should be made, on a case by case basis and for certain violations only, for people who honestly rely on hunting to feed their families?

peter_pan
12-13-2005, 15:21
Rednecks seldom get too far from their trucks with a gun...especially the drunk ones...evidence the above posts.

All the more reason to oppose road building near or across the AT.

Pan

lobster
12-13-2005, 19:05
"Rednecks" are great!

Why does society have to be so homogenized?

Without all these freaks, life would be so boring.

"r

tiamalle
12-14-2005, 01:54
I see several names used now and then.Thanks Max.Idiots are what they are.Rednecks,Yankees,Hillbillies,and several other names that people use
like this and raciest names don't discribe people who does this kind of things
These are Idiots.Sorry friends,I know lots of rednecks who are great people.
I know lots of Hillbillies who are great people,I know lots of yankees who are
great people.Poeple like this could be your brother from anywhere on the globe and he would be an idiots.

justusryans
12-14-2005, 07:55
I see several names used now and then.Thanks Max.Idiots are what they are.Rednecks,Yankees,Hillbillies,and several other names that people use
like this and raciest names don't discribe people who does this kind of things
These are Idiots.Sorry friends,I know lots of rednecks who are great people.
I know lots of Hillbillies who are great people,I know lots of yankees who are
great people.Poeple like this could be your brother from anywhere on the globe and he would be an idiots.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly!!

gumby
12-14-2005, 09:00
Or he could take up bow hunting, I guess.

When we shut down the ranges at Eglin AFB to hunters after 9/11, we ran into an issue because some of the nearby families hunt for food. Not like supplementing their income, but they actually relied on hunting to feed their families, and by closing the ranges to civilians we were significantly impacting their ability to do that.

Do you think exceptions should be made, on a case by case basis and for certain violations only, for people who honestly rely on hunting to feed their families?

Yeah but on the Eglin range you have the Holley boys to deal with, they are the best poachers I've heard of. I lived in Navarre, actually in Holley close to where they were from. Talk about rednecks, their family tree was a telephone pole, no branches. They captured some green berets on a training exercise on night.:datz

gumby

Newb
12-14-2005, 10:45
It'll be a heck of a lot harder for him. There are a few felonies in there and that automatically makes it illegal for him to own or possess a firearm in the United States. While federal law does not include muzzle-loaders in that defiition, many state laws do, and of course purchasing ammunition and powder for muzzle-loaders is also prohibited (depending upon jurisdiction).

Didn't you see the Dukes of Hazzard? He can get himself a composite bow with dynamite arrows!

Just Jeff
12-14-2005, 11:15
Talk about rednecks, their family tree was a telephone pole, no branches. They captured some green berets on a training exercise on night.

Better'n a wreath, I reckon. Where they really Green Berets? The Ranger training school is there...brand new students tromping through the woods all the time. What was that huge gator's name they kept as a mascot? He died while I was there.

tiamalle
12-14-2005, 14:46
Yeah but on the Eglin range you have the Holley boys to deal with, they are the best poachers I've heard of. I lived in Navarre, actually in Holley close to where they were from. Talk about rednecks, their family tree was a telephone pole, no branches. They captured some green berets on a training exercise on night.:datz

gumbyGumby,I grew up in a home around back country hillbillies,
rednecks and blacks in the old south.It made me understand the feelings of others.Some of them were the kindess people in all the world and some was
trouble makers.I've Stayed in Los Angeles,Dallas,different parts of Florida.I
have traveled lots like a lot of you.I have found really good people in all those places and bad ones too.Look at Tv daily and you see these weirdos
everywhere but they never tell about the comman good people.Like the post you made defending yourself I thought was good.But everytime a
remark is made by the world that is bad the don't use the name idiots
very often it's rednecks hillbillies wets yanks.I heard people talk about
being afraid on the trail of hillbillies in the south.Erwin,Tn has hillbillies
like is told about the hills of Tn.Look how highly respected Ms JANET is.
When you meet these people you will get a new concept.I've heard remarks
of people in Ga are so stupid it's hard to tell the difference between the
Ga crackers and the crumbs.But all of you who Hike the southern AT in Ga
knows these are some of the nicest people on earth.Mexicans tell me they
don't like american food.All they ever tried was fast food.I tell them our
discriptipo of mex food is taco bell,del taco.They say,"amigo no es comida authinico,por favor comer adintro authnico".Which is "O friend you never
eat real mex food try home made".I say"amismo aqui,same here.:bse

Just Jeff
12-14-2005, 18:09
people in Ga are so stupid it's hard to tell the difference between the
Ga crackers and the crumbs.

HAHAHA!!! Now THAT's funny!! (I'm from GA so I can say that!)

I figure if I grew up redneck, I can make fun of my own! Not that I'm a redneck anymore...grew out of it like I grew out of my mullet when I was 10.

Actually, I make fun of everybody and I don't get upset when they make fun of me...as long as it's all in fun. It's how some people are, and it's not offensive to everyone...it brings us together.

Seeker
12-14-2005, 18:23
there are rednecks everywhere, if defined as poeple who do as they please, regardless of law, and who take pride in their ignorance... found some in germany, somalia, and haiti too... plenty of them up north... the south just has the reputation... but they are alive and well...

speaking of the hunting kind (of redneck), there are families in and around fort drum, ny, who refuse to acknowledge federal jurisdiction over property that was 'stolen' from them to create camp drum back during WW2. they still hunt and fish in the impact area. they also managed to get the gate off post into governeur, ny, closed to traffic by shooting at hmmwvs that went by... nice place... (to visit).

Seeker
12-14-2005, 18:25
jeff,

notice the paragraph markings... they work now, for some reason... :D

oh wow! and my smilies work again!!!

Just Jeff
12-14-2005, 19:45
Much easier to read. Except for the whole dancing banana part. Some redneck should shoot that thing dead. :)

tiamalle
12-14-2005, 20:04

I figure if I grew up redneck, I can make fun of my own! Not that I'm a redneck anymore...grew out of it like I grew out of my mullet when I was 10.

Actually, I make fun of everybody and I don't get upset when they make fun of me...as long as it's all in fun. It's how some people are, and it's not offensive to everyone...it brings us together.Me too,I think it's a lot of fun but people saying some things like that scares other people.
There is stories I tell lots of my hiker guest when they come through and
we are all cracking up.

CaptChaos
12-14-2005, 22:55
Rednecks are great?????

I don't know about that but cleaning out the gene pool from time to time has to help.

I know a lady who I worked with that loves to talk like she is from the sticks. Sad thing is she was a single mom who put herself through college and worked hard and did without for a long time. But to hear here she talks like a redneck and is proud of it. As for me, I think that if she took all those years to get her degree that it was wasted on her because it did not alter her in any way.

I know that many of you might not see an issue with the above but if you do something and it does not change you for the better then what was the use. I know that backpacking has changed the way that I look at life so maybe this is why I point this out.

Just Jeff
12-15-2005, 01:14
CaptChaos, didn't I run into you hiking the approach trail...probably Sept 03? I had 4 and 8 year old boys with me, and you stopped to talk to my 8 year old about adjusting his pack. Unless there's another Capt Chaos. You're married to General Disaster or something like that?

I agree about cleaning out the gene pool from time to time, and idiots are everywhere...not just the red necks!

tiamalle
12-15-2005, 23:18

Actually, I make fun of everybody and I don't get upset when they make fun of me...as long as it's all in fun. It's how some people are, and it's not offensive to everyone...it brings us together.Jeff are you in the military in Monterey?Monterey in Spanish is Kings Mountian.Me and My Family are coming to Los Angeles for Christmas.

CaptChaos
12-15-2005, 23:19
Just Jeff:

No, I have not been out since I went to Spence Field in Oct.

There is another Capt. Chaos and he is much younger I think. I am 48.

tiamalle
12-15-2005, 23:22
Rednecks are great?????

I don't know about that but cleaning out the gene pool from time to time has to help.

I know a lady who I worked with that loves to talk like she is from the sticks. Sad thing is she was a single mom who put herself through college and worked hard and did without for a long time. But to hear here she talks like a redneck and is proud of it. As for me, I think that if she took all those years to get her degree that it was wasted on her because it did not alter her in any way.

I know that many of you might not see an issue with the above but if you do something and it does not change you for the better then what was the use. I know that backpacking has changed the way that I look at life so maybe this is why I point this out.Capn this world turns out a lot of good ones.If you pass here again stop in and say hello.Ron Haven

CaptChaos
12-16-2005, 01:03
I had to think back to an event years ago but this is a true story and I consider it an "Idiots on the trail story".

6 years ago, I had dropped my sone off at Tremont for a week at camp. I went up the Mtn from Tremont to Spence Field and then to Russell Fields Shelter.

I was tired and hot and almost of of water and about 1 mile from Spence field when I heard a voice behind me say "Hello". I turned and there were two people, a man and wife, dressed in cotton shirt, cotton shorts, sneakers, no water bottle, no butt pack, nothing, coming up the trail.

The guy tells me that he did not want to scare me and he asked how I was doing. I told him ok and he told me that he and his wife were going to the top of rockytop. I looked at my watch and it was getting late and I told the couple that it might not be a good idea as it would get dark soon. They told me not to worry and they bid me a good day.

About 45 min later I get to Spence Field Shelter and I find this couple there. The are talking and the wife says that Rocky top is behind and down the shelter at Spence Field. The husband says that it is to the west of Spence Field on the AT. He helps me out of my gear and I have to get my map and show them that they are both wrong.

After 10 min, they head out and I again tell them that it is getting dark and that I will be at the shelter and that i have some extra food and a blanket that they can use so come back when they are done at Rocky Top. The husband tells me no they will be find and they head off.

45 min later it is dark and I am expecting them to come back to Spence and they never show up.

Next morning I go to Russell springs and stay the night.

Next day I get up and head back to Cades Cove and about 2 miles from Ranger Station I hear a voice yell "Hello there". It is this couple and they greet me.

Now this is no joke, this couple is bug bit, scratched up and they look like hell. They got caught on the mtn in the middle of the night and could not get off the mtn. No moon, they could not see to make it off.

Wife tells me that husband is a fool and that they almost got killed when wild boars come running down the trail. No water to drink, no coats, no food, no light, no fire, etc.. They were bug bit from head to toe. Wife tells me in front of husband, "I told him we needed to go back where you were but he would not listen". Started off trail from Bout mtn headed to Cades Cove and it was so dark they could not see each other in the darkness.

I suggested to this couple that next time at least carry the Boy Scouts 10 items and told them that the night before I go to Spence Field that it had rained for 4 hours, big drops, and a very cold rain. If this had been that night, someone could have died.

They were going to take a photo of where they were trapped and then come back to Cades Cove. I waited for them at the picnic area and they gave me a ride back to Tremont.

They were from Glasgow, KY and they are lucky to be here.

I think that they qualify for the "Idiot's on the trail" what do you think.

Just Jeff
12-16-2005, 01:11
Jeff are you in the military in Monterey?Monterey in Spanish is Kings Mountian.Me and My Family are coming to Los Angeles for Christmas.

Yes. Actually, I'll be near LA next week. Wife agreed to go camping if we could take the kids to Universal.

MOWGLI
12-16-2005, 07:20
Our Conservation (Fish and Wildlife) Department placed one of those fake deer alongside a county road -- and nailed the County Sheriff, who had shot multiple times at the fake from his squad car. No word on whether or not his shots were accurate.

The former sheriff of Sequatchie County, TN was just bagged for illegally hunting from his car yesterday - for the third time. The dude shot a "robo-deer" once too.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_77283.asp

Nate
12-16-2005, 09:34
Try hiking in Tennessee and North Carolina <the Redneck Capital of the world>:cool:

weary
12-16-2005, 10:14
When I left a small Maine city at age 18 and found a job in Chicago, I was surprised by what struck me as the ignorance of the minimum wage workers I worked among.

Growing up, my territory was pretty much a 150 mile radius. I had camped and hiked summers in the White Mountains, traveled to Boston to see the big bands of the day, A 100-mile round trip to Teej's Old Orchard Beach was routine.

But the guys in Chicago had been nowhere and seen nothing. Some had never been to the Loop. The exceptions were the blacks. They worked minimum wage jobs not because they were dumb like me and the whites, but because these were the only jobs open to blacks in the late 40s and early 50s.

Weary

Toolshed
12-16-2005, 21:05
Could I point out that just because some idiot shot at a decoy deer from his truck, it doesn't necessarily mean he is a hunter. Perhaps just a drunk with a gun.

MOWGLI
12-17-2005, 10:16
Could I point out that just because some idiot shot at a decoy deer from his truck, it doesn't necessarily mean he is a hunter. Perhaps just a drunk with a gun.

... or a Sheriff.

betic4lyf
12-17-2005, 19:44
how people talk and where they are from doesnt matter. Dumb people can be from anywhere, andso can smart people. Bill Clinton wasn't a northener.on the same note I have seen my fair share of idiots, and i live in Boston

classify people based on who they are and what they do, not where they are from.

Nightwalker
12-23-2005, 04:25
Don't show yer ignorance, kid.

Nightwalker
12-23-2005, 04:27
Just Jeff:

No, I have not been out since I went to Spence Field in Oct.

There is another Capt. Chaos and he is much younger I think. I am 48.
Oops! Thought you were the kid. He was always spouting something. Still, it was her business as to how she chose to talk/blend/whatever. And what she got from her education was probably quite a bit more than you can see/hear on the surface.

CaptChaos
09-13-2007, 23:59
Hi NightW:

Well, I was looking at some of my old post and I saw your comments. What can I say. I did judge this person and I might be wrong but the cat is out of the bag and I did make the comments and I can not take them back.

oldfivetango
09-14-2007, 08:55
so did he bag the deer or not?!?!

How did he know the deer was even there in the first place?

Man,talk about multi-tasking!:D
Oldfivetango

ChimneySpring
09-14-2007, 08:55
A hunter came to one of the decoys in his truck, stopped his pickup in the road, and immediately shot at a white-tail deer from inside his vehicle (again this was a decoy dear.)

That's not a hunter.

Tsani
09-14-2007, 11:19
Whoever said that it was OK if you are out of your truck is dead wrong. You cannot fire at a deer from the roadway - or within 500 ft. of the roadway - at least in GA. The penalties for these infractions are pretty severe. They will take your truck, take your gun, take your deer and lock you up. You'll be lucky to get any of them back.

Anybody that would shoot from a truck or near a roadway is NOT a hunter.

As for the guy who interrupted his "devoirs d'amor" to shoot a deer - WOW, has he got his priorities wrong! And what about his partner in these activities? Her expectations from this guy are way too low. If the activity in question is not receiving his full concentration then I submit that he is doing it wrong.

Dances with Mice
09-14-2007, 14:17
... They will take your truck, take your gun, take your deer and lock you up. ... I know there has to be a country-western song already written about that but I can't think of the title.

Appalachian Tater
09-14-2007, 18:06
sounds like a idiot redneck,do they have rednecks up north lol:cool: neo

Yes, even on Long Island. Lots and lots.

LIhikers
09-15-2007, 10:21
Red necks on Long Island? Idiots? I think we got more than our fair share. Some day I'm going to move off of this island to the continental USA. :)

Jim Adams
09-16-2007, 02:14
The sheriff probably ate too many donuts to get out of his vehicle.

the reason that the store didn't have Backpacker but did have 30 hunting books is because deer hunting in Pa. is BIG BUSINESS. The hunting lobby is so big that any A.T. lobbying doesn't stand a chance.

it really doesn't matter how many times that guy is charged with crimes or how much of his property is confiscated. if he wants to shoot a deer...he will. I have been to unknown numbers of vehicle accidents that were the result of a drunk driver with multiple past DUI's.

in Pa. you can get out of a vehicle to shoot at a deer but the vehicle must be off of the roadway and stopped with the engine off. The hunter must also be off of the roadway.

geek

katagious
09-16-2007, 11:08
in Pa. you can get out of a vehicle to shoot at a deer but the vehicle must be off of the roadway and stopped with the engine off. The hunter must also be off of the roadway.

geek

Seems to me...If i remember right...although I could be confusing it with Connecticutt.....hmmm...In PA. it seems you don't need to get out of your vehicle to bag a deer...you just need to ride down the highway long enough run into one.

whitefoot_hp
09-16-2007, 17:44
As long as there is no law against hunting at the time he was doing so, didn't illuminate (jack) the deer, and he got out of the truck before shouldering his gun, then he was legal. Nothing wrong with that.

The first guy was a self-limiting problem...he was so screwed up he was bound to get cuaght...and he did, serving as an object lesson to all the other idiots who won't follow the rules and regs. He'll do jail time for at least the drunk driving, lose his gun for the hunting violations, probably never get his license back again to hunt or own a gun...he's done.

nope. its against the law to shoot from popular roads, regardless of spotlight or time of day. its a safety issue...

Jim Adams
09-16-2007, 18:39
Seems to me...If i remember right...although I could be confusing it with Connecticutt.....hmmm...In PA. it seems you don't need to get out of your vehicle to bag a deer...you just need to ride down the highway long enough run into one.

No, you are right, it is Pa. :eek: 8 so far in 38 years of driving.

geek

Jim Adams
09-16-2007, 18:42
No, you are right, it is Pa. :eek: 8 so far in 38 years of driving.

geek

Last one, a 9 point buck, was in a city of 24,000 people DOWNTOWN and it ran out of a parking lot and into the front L. corner of my 4 DAY old vehicle...$2600 damage!:mad:

geek

Monkeyboy
09-17-2007, 10:28
Shooting a robo-deer isn't stupid.....

It's when you try to field dress it, that's when the stupidity sets in.....

Jim Adams
09-17-2007, 12:27
Shooting a robo-deer isn't stupid.....

It's when you try to field dress it, that's when the stupidity sets in.....

:banana or try to have it stuffed!!!

geek

taildragger
09-17-2007, 13:14
:banana or try to have it stuffed!!!

geek

What do you mean? Its already pre-stuffed, and it probably tells some Jeff Foxworthy jokes.

atraildreamer
09-17-2007, 14:08
Do you know why they sell orange TP during hunting season? :-?

(Supply your own answer(S)) :eek:

leeki pole
09-17-2007, 14:52
Do you know why they sell orange TP during hunting season? :-?

(Supply your own answer(S)) :eek:

Heh, heh this is funny! I know the punch line, but I ain't givin' it away!;)

atraildreamer
09-19-2007, 14:22
Heh, heh this is funny! I know the punch line, but I ain't givin' it away!;)

A quick hint...think of the backside of a cottontail deer...what else might resemble that to a inebriated nimrod?

Waterbuffalo
09-20-2007, 20:36
reminds me of a hitch i got in NC back in 98