PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy shoes for wide feet?

FooFooCuddlyPoops
01-09-2016, 20:46
Hey guys, I have a size 7 wide foot and finding a pair of shoes to fit is a hard chore. Any recommendations for websites that have a good return policy, or stores that usually carry trail runners?Rei doesnt.

MuddyWaters
01-09-2016, 20:50
Zappos
Running Warehouse

both have free shipping and free return shipping.

you can usually get a 10% coupon code for running warehouse online if you search for it

Order as many as you want, try them on , return the ones you dont want to keep.

Running warehouse even takes back shoes you have used, but decide you dont want or like. You get credit for those, not refund. These services are why you pay full retail. Zappos is usually a few dollars cheaper than running warehouse.

burger
01-09-2016, 20:54
Zappos customer service is top notch. FWIW, I think that all New Balance shoes come in widths up to 4E. Sadly, New Balance shoes are hard to find in a lot of stores, but with the free shipping both ways, all you have to lose on a return is a little time to mail the package.

Hummy585
01-09-2016, 21:23
Zappos is aces, I have flat wide feet so its always a hassle to find wides in a retail setting. Zappos customer service and one year return policy is the best I've ever seen. We like them so much we did the tour at their home base in Vegas...

peakbagger
01-09-2016, 21:29
FYI New Balances tend to run small, if in doubt go one size up. Their inserts aren't great. Many folks, including myself use different inserts which may also impact sizing. Make sure you have the inserts you plan to use when you try them on

Tuckahoe
01-09-2016, 21:40
OP, there is a New Balance outlet store here in Williamsburg at the Premium Outlet Mall. From Colonial Beach, its only a pleasant 2 hour drive down from the Northern Neck along 3 and Rt 17.

Spirit Walker
01-09-2016, 21:51
Do you have any running stores in your area? I have wide feet and find it very hard to find shoes that fit comfortably. A good LRS will work with you to find something that really fits well. Once I've found shoes that work, I'll order my second pair online, but it saves a lot of trips to the post office if you can try shoes on in person.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
01-10-2016, 01:43
OP, there is a New Balance outlet store here in Williamsburg at the Premium Outlet Mall. From Colonial Beach, its only a pleasant 2 hour drive down from the Northern Neck along 3 and Rt 17.

do you think they would carry wides? My sister lives that way so it would be a nice detour for the day.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
01-10-2016, 01:50
I found one store. I do like trying a shoe on first. I'm going to try one more local store and than go online.

peakbagger
01-10-2016, 07:08
I don't have a lot of luck finding my 13 EEEE s at New Balance outlet stores. The stock is usually hit or miss on the odd sizes

Tuckahoe
01-10-2016, 07:11
do you think they would carry wides? My sister lives that way so it would be a nice detour for the day.

I do not know, but give them a call the factory store's phone number is -- 757-220-5414

rafe
01-10-2016, 08:27
Not going by location but by brand: I find New Balance usually has styles I like in wide sizes. NB has outlet stores and are occasionally found at deep discount.

Pedaling Fool
01-10-2016, 08:48
I have a wide foot and cannot find shoes that fit well in my size, so I always buy a size of two above, plus they have to be the extra-wide in that size. In my experience it's not so much the brand, just look for what fits best. But then again, I'm always buying the cheapest shoes and I don't feel the difference between brands.

I did get a pair of custom-made boots once, because I was told they would make your feet feel really great and you'll never go back to off-the-shelf shoes. That was not my experience -- total waste of money. So I guess I'm lucky, because my feet are not finicky like so many I hear of on this site.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
01-10-2016, 15:09
Well...my feet are finicky. I've hiked in baggy boots before and came out only missing two toe nails. But for this hike, I'm trying to plan for comfort. I made my budget so that I would spend a decent amount of money on a pack, and shoes.

shelb
01-11-2016, 00:55
Do you have any running stores in your area? I have wide feet and find it very hard to find shoes that fit comfortably. A good LRS will work with you to find something that really fits well. Once I've found shoes that work, I'll order my second pair online, but it saves a lot of trips to the post office if you can try shoes on in person.

AGREED! Salomon run wide. I bought my trail runners at the running store, and now I have picked up 2 more pairs online through Amazon at a much cheaper cost - mostly because they are "last year's shoe."

Vegan Packer
01-11-2016, 02:05
Hey guys, I have a size 7 wide foot and finding a pair of shoes to fit is a hard chore. Any recommendations for websites that have a good return policy, or stores that usually carry trail runners?Rei doesnt.
If you think that you have it tough, try doing this in a vegan boot. I have orthotics that require 6E (not a typo), and I have been going through a search for the answer to this problem. I would have thought that more companies would make wide backpacking boots and shoes, since so many people have to wear orthotics, but no, there are none that I have been able to find.

So far, I have tried on the following:

Addidas Terrex Swift Mid: Narrow, and no support.
La Sportiva Trango S Evo GTX: Narrow in the mid foot area, not much support.
Mammut Comfort High GTX: Even at a full size larger, they were still tight in the toes.
Merrell Capra Sport Mid GTX: Very stiff in the ankle, to the point where they dug in and were painful.
Treksta T745 Evolution Mid GTX: If not for the built in arch support that caused a problem with my orthotics, these would have worked. Comfortable, wide toe box. I suggest trying these.

I am next going to order a set of Vegetarian Shoes Approach Mids. I have spent a few bucks on mail order and returns, but the quest goes on.

QiWiz
01-12-2016, 16:05
I have 4E feet. New Balance trail runners work for me, either Goretex or mesh, depending on conditions.

ccartertn
01-12-2016, 19:20
+1 on runningwarehouse
Also, I like Altra shoes - they have a wide toe box and zero drop (rise from toe to heel).
For the Altra Superiors, I went up a half size. For the Altra Lone Peak 2.5, they were true to my normal size.
Both have good tread - the Lone Peaks have a little more cushion.

Warning, with the wide toe box, they look a little different than normal shoes - some say they look like clown shoes.