PDA

View Full Version : What'd you do with your pack?

TheOneGuy
01-10-2016, 09:34
When going into town/ a store/ laundromat, what do thru-hikers do with their packs? Did you take it everywhere? Did you hide it? Inquiring 2016 thrus want to know!

egilbe
01-10-2016, 09:56
There are pictures of stores/bars/laundromats with rows of packs lined up outside. You will learn to trust your fellow man again.

4shot
01-10-2016, 10:30
as egilbe says, MOST of the time you don't have to worry about your pack in the towns. Who wants a bunch of stinky hiker gear? Where you have to be careful of your pack is in the woods. The year I hiked, a bear destroyed 3-4 packs up on Blood Mountain. Of course, they were very close to Neel's Gap but still, an expensive resupply for those hikers. Another guy left his pack at his campsite in Va. and went to sit by the nearby waterfalls (name escapes me). When he got back, his pack was gone. His site and pack were very convenient to a road (may have been just a FS road). When on the trail, your pack becomes safer the farther you get away from a road of any type.

colorado_rob
01-10-2016, 10:39
I usually have it with me most places in towns, but just left on the porch of most restaurants, I do try to place it where I can keep my eye on it when possible, but most times it's not. Keep in mind my pack is never over 20 pounds, yet another reason to keep your kit light; so you don't feel any need to shed it when doing things in towns. I'm not trying to be UL preachy, just making a point.
I do keep all of my valuables in one little zip-sack, and I keep that little zip sack with me at all times. Money, ID, camera, phone and all my other little items. The actual pack with tent, sleeping bag, clothes and stove is of course at some small risk, but if it got swiped, oh well, I could at least get home, file an insurance claim and buy new gear!
But in 45 years of backpacking, I've never had any pack messed with when left somewhere.

Malto
01-10-2016, 10:45
I take my pack with me unless it's prohibited then I sit so I can watch it. I have no sense faith in fellow man.

Malto
01-10-2016, 10:46
I should have just linked Colorado Ron's post because I agree with every point in his post.

Sarcasm the elf
01-10-2016, 11:05
Agree with Colorado Rob and Malto.

Having a motel room on a resupply day is nice because I can leave all my stuff there. Having a hiking partner is nice because one of us can run into a store while the other watches our stuff outside. Barring those options I have resorted to putting my pack on the bottom section of a shopping cart while in a store or politely asking a restaurant hostess or clerk at a small store if I can leave it up front by the register.

MuddyWaters
01-10-2016, 11:38
The reason I prefer hotels.
My pack is locked up safe and sound while I go do my town things.
Theres about 10% of my fellow humans that I dont trust, problem is I cant tell which just by looking at them.

Good hostels out west in recreation oriented towns (hiking , skiing, biking, etc) will provide lockers for the same reason.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2016, 13:05
This is one of those FAQ.

If it's a supermarket with carts, put it under the cart. Small convenient stores can be a problem due to the narrow isles. In this case you may have no option but to leave your pack by the door. I think it's better to keep it in plain sight then to try and "hide" it. Just don't leave something small and valuable on top of the pack someone can easily walk off with, like expensive sun glasses.

If there is a store a mile or less down the road, I will often stash my pack a few hundred feet up the trail in the woods, typically behind a down tree trunk so it can't be seen from the trail. Just make sure you can remember where it is! There is a very small chance a bear or other critter will find it due to any food you might still have in it, but that is a very, very small risk.

Sit down restaurants can be problem too, but if you ask the cashier, they often have a place to put your pack. Fast food joints, just put it in a booth.

Also remember to take your wallet and phone anytime you leave your pack unattended. Those two things you definitely don't want to loose.

Bronk
01-10-2016, 18:15
Put a pair of stinky socks on top of your pack...people will be so grossed out by the sight of it they won't give a thought to stealing your pack.

Goatgas
01-11-2016, 23:40
Put a pair of stinky socks on top of your pack...people will be so grossed out by the sight of it they won't give a thought to stealing your pack.

If I left dirty socks on my backpack I would be arrested for creating a hazmat incident, but I like your thinking lol .

Uncle Joe
01-12-2016, 01:31
If I left dirty socks on my backpack I would be arrested for creating a hazmat incident, but I like your thinking lol .

Never doubt stink from a guy named Goatgas!

Monkeywrench
01-13-2016, 07:11
Like this:

rocketsocks
01-13-2016, 07:55
Like this:

Looks like Joe to go?

TheOneGuy
01-14-2016, 20:07
right on. I stashed my pack on a section hike once...and panicked the entire time thinking I'd return to find it stolen.

dervari
01-14-2016, 23:31
I've seen a gadget you can hook onto luggage that screams when is moved without the proper code. That could be a possibility.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

ChuckT
01-15-2016, 07:51
Hmm, quick poll. I see 15 sets of trekking poles, 5 sets look to have "cork" grips.

hubcap
01-15-2016, 10:33
Excellent idea!

Gambit McCrae
01-15-2016, 10:52
My pack never leaves my site, or is unattended. I don't leave it at blue blazes while checking out the scenery or outside of a store. Just too damn expensive to leave around

Sarcasm the elf
01-15-2016, 10:54
I've seen a gadget you can hook onto luggage that screams when is moved without the proper code. That could be a possibility.

What's the false alarm rate on it? Leaving an unattended pack on a sidewalk or storefront with an alarm that goes off it is moved seems like a great way to piss off the locals.

squeezebox
01-15-2016, 11:15

Sammy screamer $40 motion sensor, works from your smart phone as controller. Dobermanproducts -$20 motion sensor with key pad and pull pin both are small can't weigh much. Also from Rei item# 875927 a 30" cable combo lock, retractable -2oz. designed for skis & snow boards. I bought 2 locks, 1 for the bicycle, 1 for bags, and a screamer. Not sure either will come hiking, but maybe.

Coffee
01-15-2016, 11:29
If your backpack looks more like a day pack than a huge "backpacking" backpack, you can usually get away with going anywhere with it. I've noticed a big difference in terms of where I can bring my pack if I have my CDT compressed way down to a day pack size (possible for overnights) vs. my Circuit with extension collar fully deployed and pockets loaded up. But actually even my Circuit sometimes doesn't get challenged when people with huge packs are not permitted to enter. I've noticed this a few times.

dervari
01-15-2016, 20:22
What's the false alarm rate on it? Leaving an unattended pack on a sidewalk or storefront with an alarm that goes off it is moved seems like a great way to piss off the locals.
Don't have specifics. I would assume it's adjustable to account for slight movement caused by inadvertent bumps.