PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Low cost solo tent

Michael1101
01-10-2016, 20:57
Looking for a very low cost solo tent. I would like to find something with side entry such as Eureka Spitfire 1. I am considering buying the Solitaire but would like to see if I can get a little nicer tent for the money or less.
Used, old, low end tent is fine with me. Looking to spend around $60.00 for a used tent but will go higher for a higher end tent and lower for a cheap used Solitaire. PayPal ready.
Please let me know what you have.
Thanks!

Just Tom
01-11-2016, 08:23
Google up an Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1, I see these all the time in the 60 to 70 dollar range if they are on sale.

Majortrauma
01-11-2016, 09:20
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/spo/5348947470.html
PM me.

Michael1101
01-11-2016, 12:02
Hello,

The alps tent looks good for the money but by buying a used tent I was hoping to get one that packs a little lighter and smaller.
I was looking at this tent and think its a bargain for the money http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Low-Cost-One-Man-Bivy-Tent/productinfo/T-WF-BIVY/
Since I only get to go out once every 3 years or so it seems like I can't see spending big money on gear.

Majortrauma: Your tent is not a bad deal and if you were close to me I would consider it but by the time I pay shipping I could buy it from Amazon and have the ability to return it if needed.
Sorry but I am looking for a cheaper used Solitaire if I were to buy one. I was hoping to get a tent with side entrance or at least one that looks like it is easier to get into then the solitaire.

DuneElliot
01-11-2016, 12:28
How about this?
http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Backpack-Forest-6-Feet-X4-Feet/dp/B0006V2B2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452529569&sr=8-1&keywords=scout+tent

Not super light-weight, but you won't get that in your price range. It's easier to get into than the bivy and only a few ozs heavier...about the same if you used trekking poles instead of the provided aluminum poles.

fastfoxengineering
01-11-2016, 14:33
I think you'll be best served by saving another $40 and finding a used contrail for $100.

It would be well worth your money.

Bronk
01-11-2016, 18:29
I bought this tent 3 weeks ago...have used it once and so far I like it...the one I have is green, but right now the orange one is on sale for $35...I bought the green one for $37 but now the price is $58 I think it weighs around 3 1/2 pounds:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Ultra-Light-Back-Packing-4-x-7-x-6-5-Tent-with-Full-Fly-Sleeps-1/40147303

I have owned 3 of the one at the link below...and my hiking partner has also owned 3 of these over the last 5 years...we like them because they are cheap and we don't have to worry about damaging an expensive piece of equipment (my dog is not very kind to tents). The downside is they are 5 pounds. The first one I had lasted 3 years...then the dog figured out how to unzip the door himself and now that he has learned how to do that he tears them up in short order...if he can't get the door open he tries to force it and rips it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/7-x-7-Dome-Tent-Sleeps-2/42206190

Michael1101
01-11-2016, 19:33
Thanks for the input guys.

The Walmart tent is hard to beat for that price. I had not even considered Walmart having something like this. I wonder how light it can be made.
Can you tell me about what size it packs down to?

I looked at those scout A frame tents along with the Wenzel Starlight and they are really cheap which makes me want to grab one because this might be the only trip I use it for but If I could get a tent that has a separate rain fly that offers more options I rather do that.

Just Tom
01-11-2016, 21:26
Have you checked EBay? Spitfire on there for about 75, and a Sierra Designs one person at 35 or so (of course you never know where it will end up)

Michael1101
01-11-2016, 22:23
The spitfire has 4 days left. I'm watching it =)
The sierra has 6 days left both auctions will most likely go up much higher. Ebay is a funny place.

SIMPLE MAN
01-11-2016, 22:33
I've never sold anything on here before but I have a Six Moons Skyscape Scout I used 3 times .I do not have a picture but you can have it for 60 and shipping .Need hiking poles to set it up.Real light ,check out Six Moons site.Never used PayPal before either.Bought 4 years ago but my wife was diagnosed with cancer so didn't hike at all for 3 years.

bobp
01-11-2016, 22:38
Do yourself a huge favor, and don't consider the Walmart tent or a Wenzel Starlight. I've had experience and watched others. You might be lucky to get a whole trip out of them. If you are considering a Solitaire, look at the Eureka Outlet web site. I bought a Solitaire there for $25. If you do buy the Solitaire for $25, I highly recommend buying a set of replacement aluminum poles from Tentpole Technologies for $55. As suggested, if you can pick up a Tarptent anything for around $100, grab it and run.

NJdreamer
01-11-2016, 23:50
i used a First Gear Cliff Hanger tent for my first year of weekend trips. Weighs 3 1/2 pounds. I had lots of space but am under 5' 6". The tent worked well until I placed it too close to a fire pit, and the embers made lots of little holes but fortunately did not burn up. (Yes, I learned my lesson that night.) I now have a Big Agnes Seedhouse UL1, just under 3 pounds, and am considering upgrading next to a tarp tent. The First Gear sells for $45 on Amazon.

Michael1101
01-12-2016, 15:06
Well Thanks guys!
I might be buying two tents! A Mountain Hardwear PCT and possibly the Six Moons Skyscape tent from Simple Man. I'll set them both up at my house and see which one fits me better and sell/trade the other.
Leaning towards the PCT tent because it looks a bit bigger but of course it will be a bit larger in size when packed and more heavy.

Sirsnappy09
01-12-2016, 15:40
If you sell the smd let me know please. Thanks

linus72
01-20-2016, 11:35
these are on a huge clearance through end of today. i almost bought it but when i compared to my current solo tent, weight was same and mine gave me more vestibule room which i prefer over the extra headroom and floorspace, the amount of which was negligable. But at this price for a BA tent, you can't go wrong! http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-seedhouse-tent-with-cross-over-pole-1-person-3-season?cmp_id=EM_BC_PDM9042_M3&utm_source=PDM9042&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=BC_2016_01_Outlet_Bump50_EndsTom. I also saw some deeply discounted North Face StormBreak 1's on clearance at Dick's Sporting goods

Gambit McCrae
01-20-2016, 11:56
Low Density Blue tarp is pretty cheap and lightweight, waterproof too, versatile, and compact. durable as well.

wornoutboots
01-20-2016, 12:20
How about this?
http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Backpack-Forest-6-Feet-X4-Feet/dp/B0006V2B2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452529569&sr=8-1&keywords=scout+tent

Not super light-weight, but you won't get that in your price range. It's easier to get into than the bivy and only a few ozs heavier...about the same if you used trekking poles instead of the provided aluminum poles.

That would be a trip to see how far you can get with this tent!!

Dogwood
01-20-2016, 13:37
Some of those tents strongly suggest counterfeiting and piracy. No wonder they are so CHEAP...someone else invested the R&D dollars then another comes along manufacturing a similar looking product virtually always not of the same quality and pawns it off at a lower price pt. And, Americans are often all too eager to support these activities at the point of sale while being ignorant of negative consequences until personally experiencing them.

Some excellent suggestions offered on this thread on how to get CHEAP tents/backpacking shelters that don't support counterfeiting and piracy.

Grinder
01-20-2016, 15:50
I have a Eureka zephyr (out of print now) it weighs 3 lb 9 oz. (with poles and storage bag included) . It's fine. They probably have a similar design in their product line now.

http://www.hike-nh.com/gear/review.shtml?Zephyr

Bronk
01-21-2016, 15:58
Some of those tents strongly suggest counterfeiting and piracy. No wonder they are so CHEAP...someone else invested the R&D dollars then another comes along manufacturing a similar looking product virtually always not of the same quality and pawns it off at a lower price pt. And, Americans are often all too eager to support these activities at the point of sale while being ignorant of negative consequences until personally experiencing them.

Some excellent suggestions offered on this thread on how to get CHEAP tents/backpacking shelters that don't support counterfeiting and piracy.I've seen quite a few major manufacturers that offer what I'd consider near clones to tents made by other manufacturers. I can only assume that any relevant patents have expired. As a consumer you'd have a real hard time figuring out who is violating what patent...that's not for us to figure out as consumers...its for the courts and the manufacturer and the damaged party to figure out.

Michael1101
01-22-2016, 07:26
I have received both tents in very good condition. The six moons skyscape scout and the mountain hardwear PCT 1. I have set both up in my living room the best that I can have to say that they really both have good/bad points. The six moons is harder to set up and is much more saggy, I also worry about the "bathtub" floor it hardly wraps around at all and in some spots maybe not at all. I'm going to have to set this tent up outside where I can properly stake it down. It does have more room inside and packs lighter but the part of the tent that is directly over the user is single wall and the tent relies on trekking poles.

The PCT 1 is a bit bigger and heavier but the pole design is something I am much more use to. There is less room in the tent but still enough for one with all the extra room at the head where you need it most. I really like this tent because of the stand off rain fly but it does pack a big bigger and heavier.

I'll update once I get both tents properly set up with stakes.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Stick999
01-22-2016, 11:15
I have used Eureka Solitaire for many miles,years with no problem. stayed dry in down pours, held up in winter snow. There has been a lot of good ideas given..