PDA

View Full Version : Operation Outdoor Freedom

perrymk
01-11-2016, 10:05
I was turned away from a state forest I planned to hike with a small group yesterday due to an Operation Outdoor Freedom sponsored hunt. For those not familiar, this is an organization sponsoring hunting events for disabled veterans. I have no problem with areas being closed from time to time, although I would of course prefer they close off hunting areas to other hunters, not non-hunting areas to hikers, but I would really like advance notification. I went to their website to register for notification of upcoming events but was not allowed (must be a disabled vet). It wouldn't have mattered for yesterday as yesterday's event was not posted on their web site.

For those planning hikes or other events, here is the link of Operation Outdoor Freedom events: http://tlhfor013.doacs.state.fl.us/oof

One can always google "Operation Outdoor Freedom" to find the link.

EDIT: To be clear, I have no problem with disabled vets or their programs. It is the lack of planning and organization of those in charge I don't care for. Especially when the mechanism for organization (the above link) is already in place.

manzana
01-11-2016, 11:21
Which state forest? That happened to me too and it was kind of nasty. It wasn't the vets, just a "pruning hunt".

perrymk
01-11-2016, 11:45
Lake Talquin State Forest near Tallahassee. Only two areas were closed, other parts were open. This was not posted on the "closed" sign but learned by talking to one of the organizers (or whoever he was). Out of towners would not have known where else to go.

I was turned away in a similar situation a year or so ago when I was on a FT section hike in central Florida. In that case I had no interest in hiking anywhere else and would have liked to know in advance as I spent money and time to be there. I have no problem planning around events, but I can't plan around events that are not posted.

mtntopper
01-11-2016, 22:09
I was turned away from a state forest I planned to hike with a small group yesterday due to an Operation Outdoor Freedom sponsored hunt. For those not familiar, this is an organization sponsoring hunting events for disabled veterans. I have no problem with areas being closed from time to time, although I would of course prefer they close off hunting areas to other hunters, not non-hunting areas to hikers, but I would really like advance notification. I went to their website to register for notification of upcoming events but was not allowed (must be a disabled vet). It wouldn't have mattered for yesterday as yesterday's event was not posted on their web site.

For those planning hikes or other events, here is the link of Operation Outdoor Freedom events: http://tlhfor013.doacs.state.fl.us/oof

One can always google "Operation Outdoor Freedom" to find the link.

EDIT: To be clear, I have no problem with disabled vets or their programs. It is the lack of planning and organization of those in charge I don't care for. Especially when the mechanism for organization (the above link) is already in place.

Just wondering who told you it was closed?

perrymk
01-12-2016, 06:53
Just wondering who told you it was closed?

The big sign at the entrance near the honor box and the guy who showed up when we arrived.