PDA

View Full Version : Kilt or Not to Kilt? Gents?

NewHeart
01-11-2016, 11:34
I was recently reading an article on chaffing. Some where in the middle of that article the author wrote about the fact a good number of finishers had worn a kilt. Now, I can see where the freedom of movement and good ventilation would be a good thing. Then I think about the same freedom that give to the mosquitoes and other insect. Any thoughts?

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2016, 11:37
Man I was in Mass this September, met a German walking to Springer wearing a Mountain Hardwear kilt. Met him randomly AGAIN in Virginia, still had on the kilt only now paired with some light leggings. He had really enjoyed it on his hike.

Met another guy outside of marion, who had made a tyvek kilt he claimed to have over 4000 AT miles on it. AND IT LOOKED LIKE IT.

Kilt or no kilt, a stick of body glide and a fresh creek bath goes along way as well

Slo-go'en
01-11-2016, 14:22
I question the "good number of finishers wear kilts" statement. I've met a lot of hikers over the years and I'd guess I've seen maybe a handful of Kilts and only in the south. I have yet to see someone wearing a kilt in NH or Maine but I suppose a few have passed through here wearing one.

Personally, I don't even like wearing shorts, so a kilt is definitely out of the question for me. Having bare legs significantly increases your chances of getting posion ivy, posion oak, chiggers, tick bites or just scratched up by brush. I also have skinny legs so chaffing has never been a problem for me.

Puddlefish
01-11-2016, 14:36
I'd still want to wear my 6" inseam poly/spandex boxer briefs with the ventilated pouch underneath, to prevent chafing and bouncing/pinching (sorry, but for older men, it needs to be addressed.) Even then, I'd be constantly lifting a kilt to check for ticks, and nobody on the trail wants to see that.

capehiker
01-11-2016, 15:08
I will be wearing a kilt by Purple Rain Adventure Skirts. It's not a traditional kilt, per se, but more like the fabric of the ole Columbia rafting shorts that dry wicked fast. The nice thing I like about this particular kilt is there is a button that allows the front to secure to the back to create "shorts" for during town stops. I also wear ex-officio boxers underneath. The kilt weighs 4 ounces for a large. Another advantage to a kilt is you can wear a base layer pant underneath in the chilly morning and it is so easy to slide them off without having to remove anything else.

Nodust
01-11-2016, 16:21
I will be wearing a kilt by Purple Rain Adventure Skirts. It's not a traditional kilt, per se, but more like the fabric of the ole Columbia rafting shorts that dry wicked fast. The nice thing I like about this particular kilt is there is a button that allows the front to secure to the back to create "shorts" for during town stops. I also wear ex-officio boxers underneath. The kilt weighs 4 ounces for a large. Another advantage to a kilt is you can wear a base layer pant underneath in the chilly morning and it is so easy to slide them off without having to remove anything else.

I met a guy in Mahoosuc Notch this summer wearing a skirt that looked really similar to that. At first I thought it was just a regular ladies skirt but the material was too nylon looking. Anyway he was heading south. Had started in Nova Scotia and was heading to Key West. He also wore a dress shirt and tie. We had a good time talking with him for a few minutes.

squeezebox
01-11-2016, 17:48
I like to wear women's skirts in warm weather because they are more comfortable than shorts. And I want to push on gender rules. The bug issue is a real thing, probably not much more than shorts. but the bug issue is getting to be a bigger issue. Part of the AT is doing what you want to without stepping on other peoples toes. Do what you want within reason. Do be extra careful around children.
Just thinking!

Hoofit
01-11-2016, 18:14
I like to wear women's skirts in warm weather because they are more comfortable than shorts. And I want to push on gender rules. The bug issue is a real thing, probably not much more than shorts. but the bug issue is getting to be a bigger issue. Part of the AT is doing what you want to without stepping on other peoples toes. Do what you want within reason. Do be extra careful around children.
Just thinking!

By your concern around children, I'm guessing the panties are optional?
Hey, feel free, just watch out for strong winds on top of the "balds"....

squeezebox
01-11-2016, 20:02

Wrong assumption. Be careful about flashing kids, whatever you are wearing. or wherever you are bathing etc.

lukabrazi
01-17-2016, 07:56
I think that if you wear underwear with a kilt by default it becomes a skirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madpaddy
01-17-2016, 09:25
Haha...why not throw in a garter too and a black pair of fisnets aswell..

Del Q
01-17-2016, 09:30
Loved hiking in a kilt BUT.............too heavy when not using it, be it in nylon shorts or rain pants based on the weather. Besides that, GREAT GEAR. My legs tend not to get as cold as like my hands, so for me that was not an issue.

capehiker
01-17-2016, 09:43
Loved hiking in a kilt BUT.............too heavy when not using it, be it in nylon shorts or rain pants based on the weather. Besides that, GREAT GEAR. My legs tend not to get as cold as like my hands, so for me that was not an issue.

What was name of the kilt you wore?

squeezebox
01-17-2016, 10:04
A real kilt is made of 9 yds. of rather heavy wool Tartan. Add buckles reinforcement across the butt area, and you come up with a very heavy piece of clothing, The Scotts used it as armor. Hiking skirts, hiking kilts aren't the same thing. Even Utilikilt is pretty heavy. Who cares about the pleats and the front overlap? Get a hiking skirt, more comfortable and has pockets. And boxer briefs or compression shorts for chaffing.
IMHO

Heliotrope
01-17-2016, 17:48
Haha...why not throw in a garter too and a black pair of fisnets aswell..

I was thinking a pair of stilettos might pair nicely with the kilt. [emoji12]

squeezebox
01-17-2016, 19:02
not to mention shaved legs!!

Vegan Packer
01-17-2016, 19:55
I can't speak regarding using a kilt in dry weather, but I swear by my rain kilt. Keeps the rain away while breathing so well that I don't even notice the added layer.

MuddyWaters
01-17-2016, 20:09
I think that if you wear underwear with a kilt by default it becomes a skirt.

According to websters, a kilt is a skirt, regardless. A real kilt is knee length pleated tartan.

If your isnt, you are wearing a skirt.

Mr. Clean
01-18-2016, 05:24
Sport Kilt makes a great hiking kilt. They can get a little heavy in a pouring rain, but they dry pretty fast. And on those hot, hot summer days, you'll still need body glide.

jeepinjeepin
01-18-2016, 18:34
As a "big boned' guy in the humid south I know a thing or two about chaffing. Although after losing 35 pounds and hoping for another 15 more I notice my thighs are a bit less close than they were before. Going regimental and enjoying it will likely depend lots on your body type.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-18-2016, 18:43
only saw one last year and that was in damascus

Francis Sawyer
01-22-2016, 10:57
All you kilt wearers are closet cross dressers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just saying.

Traillium
01-22-2016, 11:29
All you kilt wearers are closet cross dressers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just saying.

… I'm wracking my brain to find the autocorrect error that enabled this comment. …

Bruce Traillium

slbirdnerd
01-22-2016, 15:47
A chic here... Just try the kilt and see if you like it. I wear a men's MH El Kommando (no kilts like this for chics out there) with a pair of ExOfficio Boxer Briefs under (nothing like that out there for chics either). A small stick of Body Glide in case the thighs rub below that. I LOVE my kilt: excellent ventilation, range of motion, versatility, easy to change, do your business, huge pockets...