PDA

View Full Version : what about those legs?

onicoe
12-12-2005, 20:53
it seems a silly thought, and i blame modern society, but what do most women do on the trail do if they intend on maintaining smooth legs? (I might be under the false impression that most give up shaving while hiking..)

personally, using a razor leads to a horrible itchy bumpy mess, and i have yet to find a lightweight & compact hair trimmer or dry shaver so when I do my thru-hike i'm just not going to bother with it.

I guess i'm just curious more than anything.

april2006
12-12-2005, 21:12
Personally, I don't plan on shaving my legs in the woods at all. I found a really tiny razor intended for bikini lines at Wally World and I'm going to use it for my underarms. (can't stand underarm hair...bleh!! ;)) That being said, I will probaby have my mama tuck a disposable razor in my maildrops. That way I can at least keep the leg hair to a manageable length when I'm in town. Don't wanna have to take a weedwacker to it when I get home. :D I'm sure everyone has their own take on it.
Happy Hiking!!

jackiebolen
12-12-2005, 22:55
I just used a razor on my legs and pits when I found one at a hostel or whatever. Other than that, I didn't worry too much about it. That was the fun of thru-hiking...stuff like that doesn't really matter!

Mouse
12-12-2005, 23:16
If you prefer something bulkier, it can go into a bouncebox and get mailed a ways ahead, used there, mailed on and so on.

I just found it easier to not bother.

Nameless
12-13-2005, 01:29
I dont even shave my legs all that often in town (last time I shaved was the end of august)... course then again I am blessed with leg hair that is hard to knowtice, its just now getting noticable and i'm thinking about shaving it again.
But, when I am on the trail I shave my armpits in every town (I shave them every day at home... god I hate armpit hair) and dont bother with the legs. No one cares anyway, and my boyfriend is in alaska (too bad he doesnt like hiking)

Pinkie

onicoe
12-13-2005, 08:17
Thanks, you're pretty much confirming what i was thinking. [:

Chickety
12-13-2005, 08:30
I carried a light bic disposable for armpits (went through 2 the whole trail). Didn't shave my legs, some girls did.......I chose not to. It really wasn't that noticable. Up to you :)

Mouse
12-13-2005, 10:45
I carried a light bic disposable for armpits :)

EEEEEK!!!! That must hurt like crazy! :eek:

Oh, you mean the Bic RAZOR. :datz

Chickety
12-13-2005, 15:41
ha ha ha!

yes, I meant RAZOR!!! :D

QHShowoman
12-13-2005, 15:43
You can always just wax and send yourself those waxing strips in your bounce box. It'll keep you hair-free longer.

HarleyHogPit
12-13-2005, 21:47
One of the things that I am looking forward to on the trail is getting away from all the things that us girls have to do to stay "pretty" by the standards of our society. I've been telling my friends how excited I am to not have to shave my legs and armpits for as long as I want. They think it is disgusting. The longest I have gone with out shaving was five weeks during my trip to through Europe and it didn't bother me at all. Actually, I was quite proud of it. I would show off the armpit hair every chance I could get. My male hiking companion was not impressed at all (HA HA). I loved it. I just can't wait to be out there and just be how God created me. No make-up...no shaving...no deoderant...who cares what you wear...how much better can it get?

onicoe
12-13-2005, 23:14
One of the things that I am looking forward to on the trail is getting away from all the things that us girls have to do to stay "pretty" by the standards of our society. I've been telling my friends how excited I am to not have to shave my legs and armpits for as long as I want...

i remember when the biggest excitement was being old enough to shave your legs. course then it seemed so grown up and such. then you realize how much a chore it is and so it's nice to be excited about not being able to shave. it all goes full circle. [:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2005, 06:26
I use a product called 'Magic Powder' (it is sold for black men to use on their face in men's shaving products at drug stores). It is similar to Nair, but more effective. Keeps the hair in the pits, on the legs and, ahem, elsewhere at bay for quite a while and the hair grows out soft and downy instead of stubbly. I would think having it in a bounce box would be an ideal way to deal with excess fur.

Sparkplug
12-15-2005, 10:27
I must admit to carrying a disposable razor while on the AT this year. It didn't weigh much, and I just found that I felt cleaner in town after I'd showered and shaved my armpits and legs. But really, out on the trail, no one cared. There were those who didn't shave, and those, like me, who did. I'd say it's completely up to you. Whatever makes you feel best! :)
-Sparkplug

Blissful
12-16-2005, 23:42
Well, I can't stand the feel of long leg hair in pants, etc, catching on the material or it rubbing in a sleeping bag. Yet I don't mind it under the arms, I don't notice it!~ Besides, if I shave the pits, when it starts to grow back it itches something awful. And it burns there too after shaving. So I don't do it unless I have to. On my thru hike in 2007, the disposable razor goes in the mail drops for when I get a shower, and it's mainly for the legs. :)

Blissful

frieden
12-17-2005, 18:17
I was surprised that no one mentioned it, although it is a "public" forum, but aren't you concerned with .... well ... to stay clean, don't you shave? I'm not talking about the legs, ladies. I don't think I could go without shaving. I plan on carrying a disposable bic razor, because it is lightweight. I'm blonde, so I'm not really concerned about my legs. Ed doesn't care! :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-18-2005, 07:44
Frieden brings up an excellent point. I guess the lady place would be much easier to keep clean without the normal covering. Has anyone tried 'deforesting' for the hike? Did it help? Did it cause any problems? - I'm thinking chaffing might occur without the protection. Reply via PM if you are not comfortable discussing this openly.

Mouse
12-18-2005, 09:57
Sounds like a total chafing nightmare. And not shaving certainly did not cause me any noticable problems. I think it is a nonissue

frieden
12-18-2005, 20:10
I've never had any chafing problems. I dunno. Maybe it's just psycological, but I feel cleaner shaved.

nerdishgrrl
12-19-2005, 13:21
Shaving the "lady place" has been a horrible experience for me. But I don't like hair, so I usually invest in a good brazilian waxing. It lasts quite a while and its around 40 bucks each time. It dosen't even hurt all that much. I suggest that over shaving any day. I have yet to hike a lot, but it dosen't chafe when i run, so i don't see why it would when you hike.

QHShowoman
12-19-2005, 14:02
I am a brazilian regular (I miss living in NYC where you could get one for $15!!!) ... never had any problem with chafing. I mean, what all is there to chafe?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-20-2005, 21:45
A brazilian would be my choice over shaving. Thanks for the info on lack of chafing.

Hammock Hanger
12-21-2005, 08:48
I did the ALL OVER shave the first two years, have since stopped the practice. I saw no difference in chaffing with or without. On the other hand when the growing in stage started I was scratching up a storm and that sure did not look pretty.

Wonder
12-21-2005, 12:08
I"m just gonna grab a bic in trail towns to keep the pits in check....just for chaffing issue. I'm mainly looking at shaving as a treat for when I get back.

HarleyHogPit
12-21-2005, 22:57
I'm mainly looking at shaving as a treat for when I get back.

I agree. I think a total makeover will be along the lines I'll need when I get back.

ZZXF
01-09-2006, 16:51
I've been mulling over the idea of a brazillian before my (hopefully) future thru, and I'm psyched others have tried hiking hairless! I would imagine it would do wonders for keeping you feeling clean. One question I have, though -- has anyone noticed any difference in warmth? I read somewhere that blood passes closest to the skin at one's nether regions and armpits. A little light then went off in my head as to maybe why we have excess hair there. Since I'm most likely going to have to start my thru early, warmth is going to be a huge issue and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it. Any thoughts? Or is this really a dumb question?

QHShowoman
01-09-2006, 17:21
Um, no. I've been waxing my pits regularly for several years now and I haven't noticed any difference in warmth. What I have noticed, however, is a big difference in the way I smell. I can go without deodorant longer without hairy pits and still not smell totally gross than I can when hair starts to grow back in. I feel as though hair on my armpits just traps body odor, which, in fact, is what armpit/pubic hair was designed to do.

The hair that humans have does not bear the same insulative properties as animal fur does (that's why we lose so much heat off our heads).

Here's some info I found about armpit hair:
As always, to understand things that humans have in their anatomies but that
have no apparent use [e.g., arm pit hairs] one needs to think about
evolutionary forebears and look to closely related species for clues. Two
levels to the response: the nature of those particular hairs and how they
serve to help advertize your basic adult [post-pubertal] human condition,
however masked by contemporary perfumes & deodorants. Hair is akin to fur
but without the insulative properties, and comes in generally coarse & fine
varieties. The particular coarse hairs which develop in the pubic area and
in the armpits arise at puberty [clue #1]. Hair follicles in these areas
have a type of sweat gland associated with them, called an apocrine gland,
that begins to function at puberty and is widely associated with
scent-communication via chemicals known as pheromones [clue #2]. Apocrine
glands produce an otherwise non-offensive secretion that now appears to be
homologous with animal sex-specific scents. Unfortunately its components are
broken down by bacteria to form odors associated with dirty locker room
smells. The arm pit hairs serve as extended surface from which these
volitile chemicals can be more efficiently broadcast. Scientific data
supporting the presence & effect of human pheromones have become more
substantial in the last couple of years. Interestingly, perfume companies
have recently begun playing up the nature of human pheromones!

KirkMcquest
01-09-2006, 18:15
I agree. I think a total makeover will be along the lines I'll need when I get back.

You hiker-chics have the best legs anyway, don't worry about it

dixicritter
01-12-2006, 19:48
gentlemen, this forum is suppose to be for women to post without such comments. Please refrain from making rude comments or your posts will be deleted. Thank you!

Mike & Gloria Walsh
01-23-2006, 22:47
Hey I plan to start early 2007 Feb or March.My husband will be tagging along.Get in touch [email protected]

carolinahiker
02-07-2006, 12:48
Okay im sorry ladies but the deforresting coment made me laugh so hard i blew water out my nose and the dogs all stood and stared at me like im losin my mind. Rick

banania
02-18-2006, 22:00
Yikes. I'm really surprised at how many people in here shave so much. I don't shave ever, I find it a huge waste of time. Hair does not cause chafing, it is not unsanitary, and unfortunately I am in the minority with this: it is NOT disgusting! On the contrary, shaved pits have always looked a bit plucked-chickeny to me.
If anyone is thinking of quitting, go for it! It's scary the first few times out in the summer, and there can be uncomfortable moments, but I'm not about to let that swallow up an hour of each precious week. Most of the people I meet get used to it after a while, which is better for them and their minds. I'm not trying to make a 'statement' as I've been asked, I just don't need to deal with the hassle. It really upsets me that so many women are raised to believe that a normal part of their body is disgusting.
So there's my 2 cents...
mle

BW2006
02-18-2006, 22:20
For me shaving the pits is all about keeping odor down. I have discovered that you can use hair conditioner to shave with and it works much better than soap. I have a bunch of those little foil sample packets of conditioner for my bounce box. I'll shave in town. The hair on the legs will probably grow though.

carolinahiker
02-19-2006, 13:24
What the heck is a brazilian??

neo
02-19-2006, 15:36
You hiker-chics have the best legs anyway, don't worry about it

your 100% correct:cool: neo

Topcat
02-19-2006, 16:12
What the heck is a brazilian??

Someone from Brazil or.....

a very painful but stylish method of removing hair from where God put it.

Not that there is anything wrong with that:D

Toolshed
02-19-2006, 17:27
gentlemen, this forum is suppose to be for women to post without such comments. Please refrain from making rude comments or your posts will be deleted. Thank you!
Wow!! it was simply a broad generalization and a compliment to woman that KirkMcquest made. Sheesh don't get your ...e... panties in such a wad over something so minor. I can't even see where it was rude.

neo
02-19-2006, 17:45
Wow!! it was simply a broad generalization and a compliment to woman that KirkMcquest made. Sheesh don't get your ...e... panties in such a wad over something so minor. I can't even see where it was rude.

yes,just a compliment he made,nothing vulgar or x rated about.:cool: neo

roxy33x
02-20-2006, 17:50
What is a bounce box?

Mammoth
02-20-2006, 19:29
It's a box that you mail ahead of you that holds things like waterproofing materials, shoe laces, water filter cartrages, etc. Things that you don't want to be carrying around all the time, but could use at your next mail drop if you need to. But not things like in a normal mail drop, that you WILL need at a certain point, but things that you may need at some time but don't want to carry around.

dixicritter
02-21-2006, 18:43

I did not quote McQuest. I posted a general warning to some others and the posts were deleted that I was talking about. This is the FEMALES forum NOT intended for males to post in in the first place. And YOUR post is rude.

Happy Feet
02-23-2006, 11:22
You'll see as you go how important it is for YOU to shave. There are usually razors in the showers and you can use them - or not. For me, I did sometimes and sometimes I did not. When we got up in CT, even the GUYS talked about shaving their legs (one did - poor guy, it took him FOREVER)! It made it easier to see the nasty ticks.

Icicle
03-01-2006, 11:36
Last year I only shaved in towns. I know some girls didn't shave at all - but I am not that brave. My legs don't bother me too much - but I can't take underarm hair!

I don't do the Brazilian or wax - but I do have a scissors and cut it short - it seems cooler that way. A Brazilian or shaved, for me is too, um...uncomfortable....

Casper
03-27-2006, 19:38
If you've never tried it, I would NOT recommend shaving the lady place just before a long-distance hike. (Try it at home first if you want to see how it feels.) Skin that's never been exposed bare before is sensitive/tender and when the hair grows back it is ITCHY! I never had trouble with chafing, just the weird feeling of being bald :-) If you're interested in forest management, try TRIMMING. You can use a cordless beard trimmer (seriously) that comes with different lengths of comb so you can leave some undergrowth for a buffer. (It's nothing I'd carry in a pack, though.)

[I sure hope the woman who thought the underwear discussion was too intimate is following this one.]

mindi
04-05-2006, 23:18
Underarm hair is probably the only thing that's going to bug me, I'm going to take a couple of those little Noxzema bikini razors so I can just swipe it over every couple of days. I normally shave my 'lady place' but I stopped just in preparation for my hike (even though it's a whole year) because I wanted to get used to having it again and I didn't want to deal with the itchies on the trail. I'll probably shave my legs when I get into towns, I don't really care if they're hairy.
:) Mindi

Catsgoing
04-06-2006, 11:38
Natural Let It Grow............ When camping or when I was able to hike. I wasn't out there to meet and marry anyone.
Just let it grow. The hair on your legs feel funny in the breeze.........
The Men Just Look Like The Hippie Days While Hiking Most Don't Shave there face that is.................

Rain
05-10-2006, 14:30
Shaving isn't really a big issue for most women on the trail. I carried a lil' disposable for my underarms (cause I just couldn't stand long underarm hair, I tried to, failed) and shaved my legs every few weeks, whenever I was lucky enough to get a hotel/motel/hostel room. A few have given up ever shaving their legs again, their leg hair is already thinning and turning lighter so its less of a worry for them now.

Kozmic Zian
05-10-2006, 19:44
Yea, Magic Powder....

PEEEUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! Please use at privy.

KZ@

Yo-Yo
05-17-2006, 14:52
One of the things that I am looking forward to on the trail is getting away from all the things that us girls have to do to stay "pretty" by the standards of our society. I've been telling my friends how excited I am to not have to shave my legs and armpits for as long as I want. They think it is disgusting. The longest I have gone with out shaving was five weeks during my trip to through Europe and it didn't bother me at all. Actually, I was quite proud of it. I would show off the armpit hair every chance I could get. My male hiking companion was not impressed at all (HA HA). I loved it. I just can't wait to be out there and just be how God created me. No make-up...no shaving...no deoderant...who cares what you wear...how much better can it get?
well I am that way all the time as far as what I wear goes and not wearing makeup I just say if some one don't like the way I look they can just look the other way. I always have been that way with dressing. In school I always wore overalls and gean jacket the teackers would always say why don't you dress like all the other gals and I would tell them cause I ain't all the other gals
HA HA HA HA but then too
there was always a note at eh bottom of all my report cards that said
LINDA DOES NOT LIKE TO FOLLOW THE RULES, SHE WOULD RATHER MAKE UP HER OWN
plu

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-17-2006, 18:43
[I sure hope the woman who thought the underwear discussion was too intimate is following this one.]:D:D:D I forgot about her. She's probably passed out on the floor if she's seen this discussion.

atraildreamer
05-31-2006, 21:44
You can always just wax and send yourself those waxing strips in your bounce box. It'll keep you hair-free longer.

Can you use those strips to repair rips in nylon? :-? Could save you some weight. :rolleyes:

Then again, just use duct tape and show the men who is really the toughest on the trail! :eek:

Lilred
05-31-2006, 23:12
I'm lucky to have been blessed with red hair and very light body hair. I can go for a week without shaving my legs and you still have to look real close to see I have hair on my legs. Armpits are the same way. My shaving isn't a daily thing and never has been by any means.

Pest
08-28-2006, 04:21
It really upsets me that so many women are raised to believe that a normal part of their body is disgusting.
So there's my 2 cents...
mle

I hear that. Hair on a woman is natural and normal. Hair is not dirty and the hair on our heads does have insulative properties.

I only shave my legs in the summer and I quit shaving under my arms when I was in my early teens.:banana

VictoriaM
08-28-2006, 22:41
I don't think it's disgusting because I was brainwashed by the patriarchy or any of that BS. I think it's disgusting for me because I feel dirty when I'm covered with body hair. If I don't shave (at the very least) every other day my skin crawls like I'm covered with bugs. I hate how body hair feels. I'll be carryng a razor for my whole hike.

Now, a question. Baby powder is a pretty good shaving gel alternative, but I'd be worried that the smell would attract bears and other wildlife. Would it? Or is there unscented baby powder? I'm planning to bring baking soda for most of my cleaning needs, so I might try using it to shave to see if it works the same.

frieden
08-29-2006, 08:43
I used to shave with a lighter. It worked pretty well.

Pest
08-29-2006, 18:06
I don't think it's disgusting because I was brainwashed by the patriarchy or any of that BS. I think it's disgusting for me because I feel dirty when I'm covered with body hair. If I don't shave (at the very least) every other day my skin crawls like I'm covered with bugs. I hate how body hair feels. I'll be carryng a razor for my whole hike.

Now, a question. Baby powder is a pretty good shaving gel alternative, but I'd be worried that the smell would attract bears and other wildlife. Would it? Or is there unscented baby powder? I'm planning to bring baking soda for most of my cleaning needs, so I might try using it to shave to see if it works the same.

Exactly, every women has a right to choose how she deals with hair based on how she feels about it as opposed to how her culture feels about it.

As I get older I find it less and less scary to do what I want.

Smile
08-29-2006, 18:13
I think once you get out there on a thru-hike you may find that it's one of the least important things you'll be concerned with (if you're out there at least a few weeks anyway)

To each their own, enjoy the hike and the freedom it lend you to just be yourself - no matter what you look like! ;-)

Just dont' shave in water sources please.

Dancer
10-16-2006, 13:58
There might be a thread on this and it is somewhat off subject but what about the hair on your head? I wash my hair every day and hate to have dirty or oily feeling hair. I have below shoulder length hair and am trying to decide if I should cut it really short, shave it, corn-row it or just try to wear it up and get used to it. What do you ladies do?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-16-2006, 15:05
There might be a thread on this and it is somewhat off subject but what about the hair on your head? I wash my hair every day and hate to have dirty or oily feeling hair. I have below shoulder length hair and am trying to decide if I should cut it really short, shave it, corn-row it or just try to wear it up and get used to it. What do you ladies do?I cut mine into a short, but definitely feminine style (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10880) that requires no tools or equipment to maintain. At home, I use a volumizing gel and blow part dry - finger style. When in the woods, I comb and style with fingers (no gel).

Dancer
10-16-2006, 16:26
thank you FD! I love that picture. You look so happy! That is what it's all about. We can discuss gear and hair and all that all day long but in the end we all have to do our own thing to get that smile. God bless.

Gaiter
10-16-2006, 19:42
I carried a disposable razor for my underarms, just the cheapest, simple one i could find (i found the cheaper the lighter)
I didn't bother to shave my legs till i got home (only on the trail for 2 months) but luckly i'm a red head so that hair was a very light color, but damn it took a while to get my legs clean-shaven again.

Lilred
10-17-2006, 16:44
I carried a disposable razor for my underarms, just the cheapest, simple one i could find (i found the cheaper the lighter)
I didn't bother to shave my legs till i got home (only on the trail for 2 months) but luckly i'm a red head so that hair was a very light color, but damn it took a while to get my legs clean-shaven again.

I hear if you pour alcohol on your legs and light it, :eek: the hair comes right off and that leg is as smooth as silk for quite awhile. ;) :p

hehehehe

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 17:14
Wonder if the method above would work for the nether region - could give 'light my fire' a whole new meaning.

Gaiter
10-17-2006, 20:12
I hear if you pour alcohol on your legs and light it, :eek: the hair comes right off and that leg is as smooth as silk for quite awhile. ;) :p

hehehehe

lmafo
i wonder who would do such a thing. not me i swear.

Gaiter
10-17-2006, 20:21
please note, don't actually pour alcohol on your legs and light it, but if it does accidently happen your legs will be quite smooth for a while

And a technicallity note, i didn't pour it on my legs and then light it, it was already lit. lol.

Lilred
10-17-2006, 22:12
please note, don't actually pour alcohol on your legs and light it, but if it does accidently happen your legs will be quite smooth for a while

And a technicallity note, i didn't pour it on my legs and then light it, it was already lit. lol.

This is true. Pre lit alcohol works much better when splashed on the legs. LOLOLOL

And the result is???

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=157473

Don't try this at home......

Pokey2006
10-18-2006, 01:50
I'll have to try the fire bit next time.

I did shave every time I got to a shower. Only because I'm real hairy. So bad, I normally have to do my legs with Nair -- shaving just doesn't cut it. My boyfriend is still laughing about the postcard I sent him. Picture was of a bear. Message was: "So THIS is what happens after three months without Nair. Hmmm....."

Meadow Creek
11-13-2006, 20:09
...There are usually razors in the showers and you can use them - or not. ...

Ya'll do know that Hepatitis B and C can live in microscopic particles (such as found on shared razors) of even dried blood for a WEEK, right? I'd caution anyone against sharing razors. If shaving is really so important to you, pack yer own. Your liver will thank you.