PDA

View Full Version : What should my bear bag rope be made out of?

FooFooCuddlyPoops
01-11-2016, 15:09
I need to order from dutch again, and wanted to know if I could use zing it/lash it. Or should I use another type of cord? paracord, etc.

soumodeler
01-11-2016, 15:25
Not paracord. Get some dyneema slick line like this: http://zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml

ocourse
01-11-2016, 15:34
I used many different types of cord over the years, and constantly worked on decreasing my pack weight and bulk. I settled on Z-Line Slick Dyneema 1.4mm 330 lb. It is extremely small and strong. It's very slick and therefore doesn't hang up easily on a branch or crotch. Retains almost no water from rain. You might hear that it is a bit hard to tie, but I haven't found that to be an issue at all. I am very pleased with it. I purchased here http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml.

ocourse
01-11-2016, 15:35
Interesting we posted at the same time.

colorado_rob
01-11-2016, 15:39
There ya go! I need to get some of that zpacks stuff. I started out with a superlight high tech cord of some sort, but it had way too much friction on branches. Paracord is nice and slick, at least my paracord, but heavy. It works well for me, but again, spring for the light, slick stuff.

ALLEGHENY
01-11-2016, 17:58
There ya go! I need to get some of that zpacks stuff. I started out with a superlight high tech cord of some sort, but it had way too much friction on branches. Paracord is nice and slick, at least my paracord, but heavy. It works well for me, but again, spring for the light, slick stuff.

Buy in bulk and save. http://www.wesspur.com/throw-line/zing-it-throw-line.html?whence=

Marina supply too/

OCDave
01-11-2016, 18:27
If you are ordering from Dutch, either Zing-it 2.2 mm or Dynaglide 1.8 mm are both coated. Choose which ever color you prefer, Avoid the 1.75 mm (too small/sharp) and the Lash-it (non-coated)

Sarcasm the elf
01-11-2016, 19:05
Paracord is cheap, slick and works just fine. Unless you're counting ounces or like spending money it's a perfectly good option.

Venchka
01-11-2016, 19:14
Paracord is cheap, slick and works just fine. Unless you're counting ounces or like spending money it's a perfectly good option.

YES! THIS!
Good grief, it's just to hang a bag from a tree. Get that right and anything works. Easier on your hands & fingers too. One place where going old school AND saving money wins. Walmart, Hardware stores, most anywhere.
You don't need skinny boutique cord in the woods.

Wayne

OCDave
01-11-2016, 19:21

50 feet of paracord is a whole lot bulkier than 50 feet of Zing-it or Dynaglide. Add in the stretchiness and paracord becomes still less attractive. Paracord will work but, not nearly the best option.

Sarcasm the elf
01-11-2016, 19:28
Using paracord also allows me to store my food without overanalyzing every aspect of my hike. That's an important feature of a lot of my gear. :rolleyes:

SWODaddy
01-11-2016, 19:35
YES! THIS!
Good grief, it's just to hang a bag from a tree. Get that right and anything works. Easier on your hands & fingers too. One place where going old school AND saving money wins. Walmart, Hardware stores, most anywhere.
You don't need skinny boutique cord in the woods.

Wayne

Even better is how zpacks wants to sell you a cuben fiber sack to put rocks in and attach to the throw line. That has to be the most ridiculous thing on their website.

colorado_rob
01-11-2016, 20:16
50 feet of paracord is a whole lot bulkier than 50 feet of Zing-it or Dynaglide. Add in the stretchiness and paracord becomes still less attractive. Paracord will work but, not nearly the best option.

Quite a few ounces heavier too, especially wet. Do things get wet on the AT ????

Cheyou
01-11-2016, 20:21
Quite a few ounces heavier too, especially wet. Do things get wet on the AT ????

The AT wet ! No never :0) zpacks sells cubanfiber rocks so u don't have to hurt your arm throwing it

Thom

Venchka
01-11-2016, 21:54
The Emperor's new clothes are made of cuben fiber and bound with Spectra cord.
"The horror."

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.