PDA

View Full Version : Borah bivy and tarp.

bushelf
01-11-2016, 16:55
I was thinking about getting the ultralight bivy and tarp for my pct thru hike. Any 1 have any experience with this system? I also tough of using the gatewood cape instead of the borah tarp. Seems like its better for bad weather and also a poncho. But its more expensive and less versitle in set up. Thanks for helping

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

sparky2000
01-12-2016, 09:41
Many have tried bivys but retreated to others because: In the rain it's hard to get into the bivy dry; fear of
the resulting openess; it's hard to share with one's new found friend....ect. I like them on clear night from the
top of the mtn. off the trail in a small bald. The gatewood is great but also hard to share and only bug free
if one includes the 9 ozs. of tub and net that is designed to be added to it. A good set up and when one
considers that the bivy does not include rain gear the gatewood may be lighter in total weight.........

bushelf
01-12-2016, 10:13
I meant using tarp/cape with bivy. Bivy will provide bug protection and some weather protection.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Dogwood
01-12-2016, 17:18
I PCT NOBO thru-hiked in 2008 with a Mountain Laurel Designs Superlight Bivy and a MLD custom sized silny tarp that Ron Bell made for me that worked beautifully. The tarp was in between a 1 Grace Solo and 2 p Grace Duo size. I mostly cowboy camped and only supplemented my sleep system with the bivy. Because I didn't gram weenie the tarp into a super minimalist size the coverage I had most often allowed leaving the bivy out of the mix.

I used the bivy for my marginal quilt/sleep system at the start. Threw it into the mix for the Sierras up to Donner Pass and for my last two wks into Canada where it really was needed with some white stuff, wind driven sleet/rain.