PDA

View Full Version : Various questions...

DivaDTT
12-12-2005, 23:48
Okay I need some advice.

What do you guys use for:

1) headlamps

2) trekking poles

3) water filter

Thanks! :banana

vipahman
12-12-2005, 23:56
1. I don't use it. I use cheap $5 handheld led light.
2. $25 Swix poles from Campor. I don't see it there anymore. Ski poles work great too.
3. I converted to Aquamira water treatment after this forum convinced me it worked better than Katadyn's microfilter. The 3 oz weight is what did it for me.

YMMV.

DivaDTT
12-12-2005, 23:58
does aquamira make the water taste bad?

Mouse
12-13-2005, 00:12
1 None, just a tiny photon LED flashlight.

2 I used Leki Ultralites, the ones with no shock absorbers.

3 A filter bottle in the cold and Aqua Mira in summer. Nope, no taste I could notice!

TooTall
12-13-2005, 00:35
1) headlamps
2) trekking poles
3) water filter

1) Petzel Tikka (long lasting, great light, light weight)
2) Leki Super Makalu (expensive but worth every penny)
3) Pur (now Katadyn) Hiker (quick pumping filter but can easily clog up)

Too Tall Paul

Just Jeff
12-13-2005, 01:09
Petzl...forget which model
No poles
Aqua Mira - I can barely taste anything - water usually tastes better than city water. Some people say it tastes strong, but most taste hardly anything.

Chickety
12-13-2005, 08:25
1. Petzl tikka.......had it for years, works great.
2. Old pair of Komperdell's that I scored for $25 on REI-outlet, no shock absorber and they work fine.
3. Pur hiker...........which is now Katahdyn Hiker

DivaDTT
12-13-2005, 08:50
Is the Katadyn Hiker Pro worth the extra money for over the Katadyn Hiker?

general
12-13-2005, 09:58
tikka
ski poles
dont' filter, but i do own a MSR miniworks, and it works great with regular cleaning. if you gotta have a filter, and you are not goin' hikin' in south america or something, get one that doesn't add the chemical/iodine treatment on top of filtering the water for giardia and cryptosporidia. you don't need it and it makes the best water in the world taste like s**t.

Big Dawg
12-13-2005, 10:02
#1 Petzel Tikka Plus

#2 Masters Kompressor

#3 Aqua Mira

the goat
12-13-2005, 10:17
1) Petzel Tikka (long lasting, great light, light weight)
2) Leki Super Makalu (expensive but worth every penny)
3) Pur (now Katadyn) Hiker (quick pumping filter but can easily clog up)

Too Tall Paul
.....ditto

MOWGLI
12-13-2005, 10:19
Okay I need some advice.

1) headlamps

2) trekking poles

3) water filter

Ask 100 hikers this question, and you'll get 100 different answers.

I have a BlackDiamond headlight, but have owned a Petzl (still do actually). Both are fine. I have also gone into the backcountry with just a photon light.

I use Leki Trekking poles, primarily because a good friend bought me a pair for my thru-hike, and now I get demo poles for free through my employer.

Water filters? WHen I use one, and that is primarily when I hike with my daughter, I use a Pur (Katadyn) Hiker. That's plenty good for the AT. When I hike alone, I use Polar Pure, or have in the past. Polar Pure, Aquamira, both could work well, but your doctor might recommend differently based on your health history. Long term use of iodine is not for everyone.

Mouse
12-13-2005, 10:56
Maybe an explanation of my choices will help?

1 I saw headlamps as excess weight and simply made sure I was in bed before dark.

2 I chose Lekis for their free repairs (bent mine three times) and chose the cheapest model.

3 A filter bottle is lighter than a filter and when kept full does not freeze as easily at night reducing the risk of a cracked filter element while chemicals take a longer treatment time in cold weather. But in hot weather Aqua Mira works fine, weighs less than a filter but did not add a bad taste like iodine.

Footslogger
12-13-2005, 11:07
1) headlamps

Tikka (the original one)

2) trekking poles

REI (Komperdell) Ultralights

3) water filter

Don't use a filter (any more). I use AquaMira

'Slogger

Whistler
12-13-2005, 11:16
1- Princeton Tec Scout. Lighter than the Tikka, but bright enough for walking a few hours after sundown. Also has an adjustable angle hinge. I got rid of the headband, because it can clip onto a hat or belt or sternum strap, which is great.
2- Gossamer Gear Lightrek poles. Very light, surprisingly strong. Highly recommended.
3- I am another AquaMira convert.

-Mark

Seeker
12-13-2005, 11:23
Okay I need some advice.

1) headlamps

2) trekking poles

3) water filter

headlamp-depends on season/light available. spring/fall, i use a cheap garrity 3-position (hi, lo, flasher) led light. weighs 2oz and cost about $12. in summer, when the sun is up from way early to way late, i use just a photon.
trekking poles- none. i use a hiking staff i cut as a boy scout about 30 years ago, and it serves me well. i did add a metal foot to it, so it hasn't worn out as fast as it might have.
water filter- i own an msr mini works, but no longer use it. i've switched to aqua mira.
mowgli, not sure there are medical considerations when using AM... it's not iodine. in some circles, there are concerns about the 'long term' use of iodine, but 'long term' is up for discussion. AM uses an entirely different chemical to kill the bugs.DivaDTT-AM makes water taste good, not bad. as per msg to mowgli, it's not an iodine-based product. there is no aftertaste for most people. my brother says he can taste a little bit of something, but can't really tell me what it is. i can't taste anything. check out their web site for the full chemistry explanation on why/how it works.

Kerosene
12-13-2005, 11:29
1-Black Diamond Ion (1 LED, 1 oz), but I don't use this to hike after sundown.
2-Leki poles, although I'm not a fan of the shock absorbers. I like the angled grips; would prefer a grip that doesn't make my hands sweat; like the way the "grip" is extended down the pole; like the new innovation where the "Trigger" poles where the strap easily disconnects from the pole; like the idea of the new synthetic tips that bend 30 degrees. Leki's are expensive. I just found these Black Diamond poles (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47919739&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&addon=731340-725012&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE&vcat=REI_SEARCH) that look pretty interesting.
3-Ditch the water filter and go with Aqua Mira (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_mcnett.html). There's a new no-mix formulation from Xinix called Klearwater (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/klearwater_xinix_chlorine_dioxide_clo2_water_treat ment.html) that I might try on my next trip.

Footslogger
12-13-2005, 11:33
3-Ditch the water filter and go with Aqua Mira (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_mcnett.html). There's a new no-mix formulation from Xinix called Klearwater (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/klearwater_xinix_chlorine_dioxide_clo2_water_treat ment.html) that I might try on my next trip.
========================================
Actually, I listed AquaMira as my chemical of choice above but I just received my first bottle of that pre-mixed Klearwater stuff. Will be testing it on my next outing and may convert totally once my AquaMira supply is exhausted.

'Slogger

dje97001
12-13-2005, 12:17
1. Petzl Tikka Plus
2. Cobranded EMS/Komperdell C3 Poles
3. Katadyn Hiker

Scribe
12-13-2005, 13:05
1. Princeton Tec (LED) headlamp. (For late-night reading and early rising).
2. A single hiking pole I won at an outdoor shop drawing. Don't know the brand or model. (Before that, I used a sassafras sapling with an empty 20-guage shotgun shell over the bottom end).
3. PUR Hiker - with pre-filters (from Campmor) to strain out sediment. I always take it along, but seldom use it.

The Solemates
12-13-2005, 13:38
1) Princeton Tec Aurora
2) No need for trekking poles. Just added weight.
3) PUR Scout or Iodine, depending on trip time, location, and duration.

Footslogger
12-13-2005, 13:53
[quote=The Solemates]1)2) No need for trekking poles. Just added weight.
============================================
You're young (all things being relative) and no doubt have strong and healthy knees. I venture a guess that some day you'll welcome the sticks ...even with the "added weight".

'Slogger

icemanat95
12-13-2005, 14:11
I use a Princteon Tech Aurora for a headlamp

Either a natural hiking staff made by me or Leki treking poles, or a Black Diamond general mountaineering ice axe for winter hiking

My water filter is a PUR Scout converted to a Guide (or is it the other way round?).

Ravendog
12-13-2005, 16:28
You guys can believe what you want, but you are comparing apples to oranges when you compare chlorine dioxide (i.e. Aqua Mira) to filtration (i.e. Kayadyn). Chlorine dioxide is an effective disinfecting agent, but its effectiveness is largely based on the concentration of material that has a chlorine demand. Chlorine disinfects through oxidation (think controlled burning). If you have a large amount of material, then the disinfectant can only "burn" so far before it is chemically used up. An analogy to a bioslime would be a pile of brush. Light a match, and sometimes the brush pile burns completely, and sometimes it goes out leaving plant material intact.

Filtration is one step, disinfection is another. No water treatment plant around in the AT area relies on one step only. However, along the AT, you do have the benefit of cleaner water than other areas. But how clean? The only sure fire way (and statistically, there is still a chance of getting sick) is to use both a filter, and a disinfectant (iodine, bleach, Aqua Mira, UV, etc.).

My two cents, but I get paid more than two cents for engineering opinions.

soulrebel
12-13-2005, 16:39
1. white photon light w/ hat clip 360d ball. Secondary amber photon on necklace
2. negative on the quadraped--although occasionally I'll pick up a stick and act like a primitive.
3. sometimes I say fuggit for ol time's sake and drink w/ my hand. The other times i'm using a ula amigo gravity.

Just Jeff
12-13-2005, 16:43
but its effectiveness is largely based on the concentration of material that has a chlorine demand.

The instructions say to use more AM if you think the water is suspect.

Mags
12-13-2005, 17:03
1) Orange photon II with a JakStrap
2) Used ski poles
3) MP-1 tabs. I rarely treat my water.

(Though I am a big fan of using Purrel before eating and after doing #2)

D'Artagnan
12-13-2005, 17:06
1. PETZL ZIPKA PLUS (Retractable cord, 3 levels of brightness plus a blinking mode, water "resistant" and around 65 grams with 3 AAA's)

2. LEKI SUPER MAKALU -- Loved these from the first step.

3. AQUA MIRA -- I use it alone and so far have had no problems. I have increased dosage on a couple occasions just to be on the safe side.

Spirit Walker
12-13-2005, 18:04
The Klearwater says it treats 30 liters of water. On a western trail, that would only last about a week, if that. How much does it cost?

Lilred
12-13-2005, 18:17
1. A cheap $12 dollar headlamp I got at Walmart called Garrity. Has three settings and flash. works great.
2. Leki poles. Were a gift and glad of it because of their customer service. Leki people repaired a friend's poles at Trail Days. $70 dollars worth of parts for free.
3. The Katadyn Hiker

DivaDTT
12-13-2005, 19:55
thanks to all. I've been looking at all of the gear that you've mentioned.
an actual filter appeals to me more than Aquamira. bringing chemicals into the mix weirds me out a bit no matter how harmless they are. maybe I'll try it out though and see where that takes me.

TooTall
12-13-2005, 21:08
Is the Katadyn Hiker Pro worth the extra money for over the Katadyn Hiker?

Just buy the Hiker and use it until the first filter clogs. Then you buy a refill cartridge (which has the plastic sleeve in the Hiker Pro). The refill cartridge will turn the Hiker into a Hiker Pro.

Too Tall Paul

stupe
12-14-2005, 15:53
1) Princeton Tec head lamp. Don't know which model, it has two led's, three brightness levels, and it blinks if you want. Uses lithium coin cell batteries, pretty long lasting. I've had other headlamps, and think Princeton Tec makes good ones.
2)Youth trekking poles from EMS. They collapse and have cool animal tracks printed on them. If I didn't have to travel by public transit to hike, I would just use X-country ski poles. Sometimes, I wonder if I should just leave them home and find some sticks in the woods, but I like the modern tech look of trekking poles, and they come in handy when pitching a tarp. I think I paid twenty five bucks for them.
3)Katadyn Hiker water filter. I liked the Sweetwater purifier I had before, but the Katadyn pumps easier, and I use a couple of drops of bleach anyway. I recommend either one.

SGT Rock
12-14-2005, 16:00
1) headlamps: Zipka Plus - sort of expensive, but under 2 ounces with Lithium batteries.

2) trekking poles: Leki Ti poles - probably could use something a little cheaper in hindsite - but they do the job at about 1 pound for the pair.

3) water filter - a bandanna. Then add iodine.

DivaDTT
12-14-2005, 19:21
3) water filter - a bandanna. Then add iodine.

Haha! Thats bad@ss.

I'm favoring the Petzl Tikka Plus at this point for a headlamp.

I may get the katadyn hiker just because its cheaper than the pro.

Newb
12-15-2005, 08:57
Aquamira is fine if you have unsilted water sources. But I don't know...when I'm drawing water out of a filthy puddle in the middle of summer because it's the only water around I'll take a Filter any day.

Mouse
12-15-2005, 09:22
Nothing ruins a filter faster than silted water. I learned that the hard way. After just one such source it was all I could do to get ANYTHING out of my filter.

hopefulhiker
12-15-2005, 10:57
1. Used two led lights, also clip on headlamp for baseball cap for emergency night hikes, (I didn't night hike, I'm scared of the dark). It used two leds and lithium battery.

2. Used the Leki Maliku poles, one had the grip come off and the other bent in NH. Good support from dealers except for the jerk at Moriah's Hike and Ski shop. Would not honor the warranty, had to buy a brand new set with only 300 miles to go....

3. Used AquaMira most of the time.. Got it real cheap on ebay. You need something to dip water with. I used Sgt Rock's coffee cup. During the drought up in New York and NJ I switched to a water filter for a couple of weeks. I was moving the frogs out of the puddles for the water in a 105 degree heat index!

Peaks
12-15-2005, 20:18
Just buy the Hiker and use it until the first filter clogs. Then you buy a refill cartridge (which has the plastic sleeve in the Hiker Pro). The refill cartridge will turn the Hiker into a Hiker Pro.

Too Tall Paul

Kataydin guarantees their cartridges for a year. Shouldn't need to buy a replacement. Just exchange the cartridge at an outfitter along the AT.

sliderule
12-15-2005, 20:43
The refill cartridge will turn the Hiker into a Hiker Pro.

Too Tall Paul

Not quite. The Hiker Pro has quick connect fittings for the hoses. In my opinion, the Pro is worth the extra money. Others will surely disagree.

jimtanker
12-15-2005, 23:50
1-Photon Microlite II ($6)
2-Swiss hiker poles ($10ea. at wallyworld)(when I use them)(Easier to replace than the Leki too-just buy new ones)
3-Aqua Mira is the shiznit!