PDA

View Full Version : One week to hike...where to go?

norman
01-11-2016, 18:21
Hello,
We are planning on a week long hike in July this year and trying to decide where to go?
We will leave from Northern Illinois so I figure on driving and parking at a trail head and getting a shuttle. I read some on the presidential range, but that would be a long drive.
Any suggestions out there?

dudeijuststarted
01-11-2016, 18:40
Check out the AT through Shenandoah in VA: minimal elevation change, plenty of other tourism options (lodging, camping, paddling,) blackberry milkshakes and cheeseburgers. Some people may tell you its too hot but it'll be cool inside the green tunnel. Also a better shot at transportation back to your car.

ALLEGHENY
01-11-2016, 18:51
https://northcountrytrail.org/

ALLEGHENY
01-11-2016, 18:52
OH: welcome to WB

johnnybgood
01-11-2016, 22:21
Given that time of year plus your location in Illinois why not stick to a more northern excursion. The Ice Age Trail is one state away in WI and gets far less traffic than the AT.
http://www.nps.gov/iatr/ , www.iceagetrail.org (http://www.iceagetrail.org)

For what it's worth ;
Hiking in the month of July in Shenandoah National Park sees hordes of tourists, hot muggy weather with too many biting insects . My least favorite month hiking in SNP.
The long green tunnel does nothing but keep the hot air close to the ground making for extremely humid, sweaty conditions.

bigcranky
01-12-2016, 08:07
Atkins to Damascus in Virginia. Both trailheads are very close to I-81 (the Atkins trailhead is ON I-81), you can park in Damascus and get a shuttle to Atkins and hike south back to your car. It's about 75 miles, figure 6-7 days plus driving time. It'll be warm and humid in July, but I've done it over the July 4th holiday week and the weather was fine. This section starts in the valley, walking through woods and past farms, then climbs into the national recreation area, up into bald ridgelines with wild horses and terrific views, then back down into a gorge along a large mountain stream. It's a wonderful section.

(Full disclosure: we're the field editors for this section for the ALDHA Companion. But it's always been my favorite section of the trail in the South.)

The only downside is very limited resupply options - just carry all your food to start.

bigcranky
01-12-2016, 08:08
duplicate post

Gambit McCrae
01-12-2016, 09:32
Well From Stockton to...
Hot Springs is 12 hours
Springer is 13 hours
Harpers Ferry is 13 hours
Salisbury CT is 16 hours
Abol Bridge, Maine 22 hours

I would first consider flying, and secondly flying to New England. The south is hot in July

LittleRock
01-12-2016, 09:33
Two words: Go north. It's likely to be hot and buggy anywhere south of New England in July.

Mr. Bumpy
01-12-2016, 12:02
Go from Damascus and loop hike using the Iron Mountain Trail and the AT. Its not that hot at elevation nor are the bugs bad. Plus there are several opportunities to get in a stream. Use the National Geographic map 786 for all that you need to know.