PDA

View Full Version : Help with a backpack choice

steffen.johnson
01-11-2016, 20:37
Hi all I am in the process of planning for some brush up training hikes ultimately working my way up to the AT, JMT, and a few other longer trails. I was wondering if it is possible to get a pack that I could use for the next 5+ years that would be acceptable size and durability for all of these mentioned hikes and more. Please help. I was thinking a osprey in the 50-65L size range but hey what do I know..

lonehiker
01-11-2016, 20:45
ULA Circuit. Perhaps the most popular pack for thru-hikers....

steffen.johnson
01-11-2016, 20:52

Thanks, do you think that one bag could be used for all different hikes?

Uncle Joe
01-11-2016, 20:55
Circuit won't hold a bear canister, if that's your plan. I'm not sure if the JMT requires it, someone can chime in.

steffen.johnson
01-11-2016, 21:01
Yes they do. I just looked it up what size is the ULA?

steffen.johnson
01-11-2016, 21:09
Yes they do. I just looked it up what size is the ULA?

When I say they do I am meaning that the JMT requires a bear canister..

Feral Bill
01-11-2016, 21:12
In times gone by, virtually everyone used a single pack for everything, often for decades. You have a vast array of choices.

lonehiker
01-11-2016, 21:14
On the PCT this last year, my circuit held a Backpacker Cache (dimensions 12" X 9") horizontally in the extension collar. Vertically you could hold a much larger canister. And yes, the circuit would work just fine for the AT or the JMT.

steffen.johnson
01-11-2016, 21:25
OK sounds good so now for me to buy a pack haha I am still liking the osprey packs any reason everyone says ULA?

Venchka
01-11-2016, 22:17
I'm not sure anyone is building packs that will last 5 years of long distance hiking anymore.
On the other hand, if you wear out a pack from Osprey or LL BEAN they will give you an equal or similar new one.

A pack from Dan McHale would be up to the challenge.

My Terraplane could do it. Heck, it will outlive me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Heliotrope
01-11-2016, 22:20
In times gone by, virtually everyone used a single pack for everything, often for decades. You have a vast array of choices.

Exactly! I had the same back for roughly 17 years. And I don't think I ever washed it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eblanche
01-11-2016, 22:30
Exactly! I had the same back for roughly 17 years. And I don't think I ever washed it!!

I've got you beat. I've had the same back for 27 years!! and still going strong!!

I've had my ULA ohm 2.0 for about 1.5-2 yrs and looking good. The fragile front mesh stretch pocket remains perfect as well (knock on wood).

Odd Man Out
01-11-2016, 22:39
Check out the Elemental Horizons Kalais. Similar to the ULA.

gbolt
01-11-2016, 22:40
OK sounds good so now for me to buy a pack haha I am still liking the osprey packs any reason everyone says ULA?

I owned an external frame older pack (REI Wonderland) that is still usable to this very day. However, it weights around 7 lbs. empty. The first move was to go internal and lighter weight. I tried Osprey and liked it, because it was so similar to the External Frame Pack. However, I followed the rule of purchasing the pack last and buying only to the size needed to carry the weight. This is when ULA came flying onto the radar. Ospreys are great for carrying heavier over 35 lbs. loads. Their suspension is wonderful for heavier weight. However, it is overkill if you carry less than 30 lbs. Thus, my weight of under 20 lbs (without food/water) matches the ULA's carrying weight. Actually most agree that ULA rocks the 20 to 30 lbs catagory and has become a great pack for distance hikers. I personally took it a step further and went with the ULA Ohm 2.0. I am totally satisfied and never gave the Osprey another thought. Hope this helps and gives you some reasons and answers to your post.

Sarcasm the elf
01-11-2016, 22:43
For me the circuit was about 2lbs lighter than a comparable osprey at the time and fit me just as well. Plus it was made in the USA.

gbolt
01-11-2016, 22:49
For me the circuit was about 2lbs lighter than a comparable osprey at the time and fit me just as well. Plus it was made in the USA.

The Osprey Exos (48 I beleive) is close to the same weight as the ULA Circuit with water bottle holders and those hand straps as well as some of the integral pouches at around 38oz. I know the Ohm 2.0 stripped down is under 28oz and made my choice easy after learning that.

+1 on Made in the USA

steffen.johnson
01-12-2016, 09:13
Thank you all so much for the help I am starting to get a better idea now my next question is size what size pack will do any and all hikes I want/ 60L?

Gambit McCrae
01-12-2016, 09:24

Thumbs up on this, Its my choice after using 4-5 backpacks over a 4-5 year time frame.

Its light but still supports, and encompasses all the needs, no extras. No Brain on top which in the end doesn't really save weight because nothing stays at home that would go in the top, but after not using a brain for 6 months or so, it was kinda obnoxious trying to with it flopping around trying to get stuff out of my pack.

You can call ULA up, email him pictures and he will help with the sizing and strap options. first class CS

Venchka
01-12-2016, 09:33
It never hurts to think outside the box.
Unaweep Divide 4500 from Seek Outside.
X-Pac material. A favorite of the bikepacking crowd. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=xpac%20fabric
3 pounds, + or -, depending on options & accessories.
Load Capacity: Whatever you need to carry for a particular situation. Tipi Walter grade load capacity when needed. Day hiking loads when needed also.
A One & Done backpack solution.
https://store.seekoutside.com/unaweep-divide-4500-73-l/
Other models available.
As always, a phone call can't hurt. Get all the facts from the vendor. Better than relying on internet text.

Good luck shopping.

Wayne

Uncle Joe
01-12-2016, 09:43
When I say they do I am meaning that the JMT requires a bear canister..

Turns out you're right on both counts! My bad! Which is great because I kinda wanted the Circuit for my Winter pack but didn't think a canister would fit in it.

From ULA's site:
Do you live in California or plan to do a lot of hiking there? If so look no further than the Catalyst or the Circuit. As you may or may not know, bear canisters are required almost everywhere youʼll want to hike in CA, and only these 2 packs will haul a bear can and still give you room for your other gear.

nsherry61
01-12-2016, 10:05
If you like Osprey, the Exos 48 and 58 are both quite light, excellent packs and carry up to 30-35 lbs very nicely. Unlike suggested earlier, not all Osprey packs are designed as heavy haulers.

A couple of points that haven't been belabored too much yet:

1) Most long-distance hikers hike with lighter packs and lighter packs are less durable than the more traditional and heavier packs made with heavier and more durable materials. From reading forums over the years, I'm guess ultra-light packs lived out of by most hikers seem to last about 1-3 AT length thru-hikes. If you want a pack to last longer, you'll be carrying an extra couple of pounds in pack weight alone. Most of us choose to replace lighter gear more often instead of carry bomb-proof gear that lasts a lifetime.

2) Once your gear is dialed for long distance hiking (i.e. light, small, and nothing extra), most thru-hikers seem to do pretty well with about 50L. Bigger packs weigh more. Some do it with <30L, some with >70L. I find my Exos 48 more than adequate for trips with a week between resupplies, even in colder months, and that's not with a lot of super expensive gear or going super-ultra-light.

It's also nice having different packs, and if you are doing the amount of hiking your suggest in the OP, another $200 or so in gear is a tiny speck of money compared to your overall hiking budget over that time.

English Stu
01-12-2016, 10:10
I used a ULA Circuit on the JMT and a Garcia bear canister fitted in fine. I put it in last horizontally at the top of the pack. Get measurements/weights of other canisters and mock one up using cardboard or something similar to ensure it fits.

swjohnsey
01-12-2016, 11:24

Yep, Osprey is made in China and ULA is made in the USA by backpackers.

colorado_rob
01-12-2016, 11:54
Yeah, a 700 ci bear canister fits in a circuit, I tried this when I briefly owned a Circuit. But it fits in an Ohm ever better, IMHO. The drawstring top on the Ohm 2.0 seems more bear-canister friendly than the roll top on the circuit. But the circuit does, indeed, carry the extra weight better for a thru hike like the JMT, where there is one stretch where you need 7-8 days of food.

Anyway, I used a ULA Ohm 2.0 on the entire AT, a re-do of the northern half of the JMT, too many shorter, but still multi-day backpacking trips to count (including about 110 miles along the CT last summer), and I plan on using it for a Sierra High route attempt this summer, along with a 160 mile CO trail trek and a Long Trail thru in the fall. Terrific packs. I used to be an Osprey man, but find the ULA packs a bit better.

Two main reasons why I personally like ULA over Osprey: you can choose waistbelt size independent from torso size. I need a small waistbelt but a large torso pack. Only in the much larger Osprey's do you get this kind of choice. The other reason is the vastly superior waisbelt on the ULA, including the huge waistbelt pockets on the ULA's. I can hold an entire days worth of trail food in one pocket on my OHM, using the other pocket for everything else I need on a typical day, like Aqua Mira drops, trail guide, sunscreen.

BTW: 50 liters should be plenty for all 3-season hiking, if you spend only the most modest of efforts to keep you kit relatively light and compact. Both the OHM and Circuit (both about the same in size) easily match up in carrying capacity to other 50L packs.

Venchka
01-12-2016, 12:07
Another bit of ULA trivia: They have 4 retailers on, or near, the AT. No wonder you see them on the AT.

Check it out. http://www.ula-equipment.com/Retailers_s/1833.htm

Mountain Crossings on the AT in Georgia.
Bluff Mountain Outfitters on the trail in Hot Springs, NC. I was in this shop awhile back. I was focused on WM sleeping bags that day and didn't think to try on the ULA packs.
Mt. Rogers Outfitters on the trail in Damascus, VA.
Little River Trading Company near the trail in Maryville, TN. ULA packs & Western Mountaineering bags. A match made in heaven. I plan to visit them the next time we go to Boone, NC.

Wayne

turtle fast
01-12-2016, 13:57
Another ULA Circuit vote. As others have said the pack has had a lot of thought put into it from the mesh catch-all pocket perfect for putting wet items in to dry to the sized hip belts and hip belt pockets large enough to pus snacks or your phone. Most of all is comfortable and almost seems to become a part of you on a long hike.

QiWiz
01-12-2016, 15:56
There are lots of good packs out there. Did the JMT last year with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Worked well for me; handled a Wild Ideas Expedition Bearikade with 9 days of food and the rest of my gear just fine. It's my biggest pack, but it's still light.

steffen.johnson
01-12-2016, 17:44
Anyone ever use or know anyone who used the Granite Gear Leopard AC 58? Its on sale from REI for like 100 bucks thats a killer deal?!

Heliotrope
01-12-2016, 22:49
I've got you beat. I've had the same back for 27 years!! and still going strong!!

I've had my ULA ohm 2.0 for about 1.5-2 yrs and looking good. The fragile front mesh stretch pocket remains perfect as well (knock on wood).

Touché !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
01-12-2016, 23:22

My two primary backpacks were purchased in 1974 and 1994. Based on that schedule, I'm 2 years overdue for pack #3. Maybe this year. I'm shopping.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

steffen.johnson
01-13-2016, 21:29
I am leaning towards the exos 58 but I just hate the bright ass colors hahah

Fireplug
01-14-2016, 14:01
Backpacks are like vehicles. Some would rather push a ford than drive a Chevy. So it's preference. Me I tried the Osprey brand. Very good but heavy. I settled with the Z packs ArcBlast 52L pack weatherproof to an extent and only 1.6 lbs.

Cuacoatchoo
01-15-2016, 17:37

3rd most popular... (smartass reporting in : )
http://appalachiantrials.com/backpacks-on-the-appalachian-trail-2015-thru-hikers/

Best advice I can give OP is take your perspective gear to a store and load up couple backpacks to assess the size and how they carry walking around the store.

Things to assess:
Overall feeling of "lightness"
Is the weight on your shoulders or hips (you want it on the hips)
Does anything (with the gear inside) dig into your back.
Can your back Breathe well while wearing.
Can you comfortably access any of the pockets while wearing (there's some learned technique for accessing some of these pockets). Ideally it's nice to reach water/map/snacks/camera while on the move. Keep in mind pockets can be sown to the shoulder straps or you can use shorts with pockets.
Does the pack balance well, If you lean to the side or turn does it throw you off balance more than the others

I recommend you try a frameless pack, a light frame (simple aluminum rods), and a heavy duty frame (osprey arch ventilation).

steffen.johnson
01-17-2016, 12:57
Cool! That is a very interesting and valuable set of information now I am torn between the 48 or the 58 thats my main issue haha

nsherry61
01-17-2016, 13:44
. . . now I am torn between the 48 or the 58 thats my main issue haha
For long distance, three season hiking with, resupply available, like along the PCT or AT, the 48 if probably ample as long as you are using relatively up-to-date light weight, not necessarily ultralight, gear. But really, you probably won't be going too wrong either way. One is a bit lighter and trimmer (might force you to trim some excess gear, not a bad thing), the other is a bit more spacious (can always be filled with a less compressed sleeping bag) and a bit bulkier.

Good luck

steffen.johnson
01-18-2016, 15:52
Yea I am leaning more towards the 48 as well. Thanks for the replies to EVERYONE! I don't plan on hiking any trails that don't have some sort of resupply point within less than a week! What is a good weight to stick around? 3lbs for a pack?

K2 Travels
01-25-2016, 01:18
My vote is either Gossamer Gear gorilla or mariposa. Great backpacks that are lightweight but still offer a frame (plus sit pad that is quickly removable).

I have used an older model gorilla for years now without any sort of failures.

Like the circuit it also has a huge mesh style pocket in the front which is a must for any backpack.

Have fun!

Puddlefish
01-25-2016, 09:59
The thing I love about the Exos 48 is the mesh back and liberal air space for ventilation. Living up north, I was able to try it on, and get it properly fitted as well.

I was interested in the ULA Circuit as well, but their website doesn't show if there's that solid air gap. All the retailers are on the southern end of the trail. I still may consider it for my next pack, and plan on getting one fitted during the course of my thru hike.

Pack comfort depends on too many factors to just buy one sight unseen. YMMV.