PDA

View Full Version : Baskets On or Off Your Trekking Poles?

TexasBob
01-12-2016, 12:58
I have always used my Leki poles with the baskets on because that is way they came but I wondered how many people remove the baskets. I guess they keep the poles from sinking to far in really muddy conditions but I can't think or any other reason why you would need them.

brianb2
01-12-2016, 13:12
Off. Have never missed them.

isleroyalhiker
01-12-2016, 13:20
Hi Texas Bob. I have never used the baskets. Never had a problem. The only time I could see using them is if you are hiking in snow.

Slo-go'en
01-12-2016, 13:40
Definitely on. Unless you enjoy wrenching you wrist every time the pole sinks in too far and gets stuck, which believe me, can happen a lot.

tarditi
01-12-2016, 13:46
Off for me.

Trance
01-12-2016, 13:48
On only for snow..... off otherwise.

Traveler
01-12-2016, 13:51
On for me. They stop the poles from sinking in soft soil and saves my wrists and knees from the sudden stop it causes. They also help prevent or reduce getting wedged in rocks/fissures (which is how I damaged my first set), and provides a bumper of sorts when moving around things like rocks.

In winter with snow cover I change out the small summer baskets with much larger snow baskets.

Sandy of PA
01-12-2016, 15:52
No baskets or straps for me.

Christoph
01-12-2016, 16:03
This might have been a good poll.
On for me, especially in mud and on all those darn rocks. haha

Cheyou
01-12-2016, 16:31
Yes baskets on . They can sink in the rocks crevices and bend or worse.

thom

egilbe
01-12-2016, 19:47
On only for snow..... off otherwise.

This and I need 10 characters

Kaptainkriz
01-12-2016, 19:52
I like mine on, easier to attach to my pack loops...

Scrum
01-12-2016, 21:30
On, cuz I'm to lazy to take them off.

I find the baskets help in the muddy spots, and certainly are useful in snow.

One Half
01-12-2016, 21:36
Off, rain, snow, mud, ice. I *might* still have them somewhere....

Wise Old Owl
01-12-2016, 21:41
Strip it - baskets and straps off...

TexasBob
01-12-2016, 22:41
8 so far for off (3 of those do use for snow only) and 6 so far for on all the time. I hadn't thought about getting stuck in rocks. One reason I was asking is because when I am off trail the baskets seem to get tangled up in the under growth and it is annoying.

MuddyWaters
01-12-2016, 23:27
Small ones on all the time. Weigh only 0.2 oz and keep it from going deep into cracks in rocks, on some trails soupy mud. That and Im too lazy to take them off.

Just Tom
01-12-2016, 23:30
Was off, until I had one slip into a rock crevice and get damaged due to my momentum. Now on.

Alligator
01-13-2016, 00:32
Mine are the small round baskets and I keep them on to keep from sinking in the mud. If they were the more traditional ones like on ski poles, I would take them off unless it was winter.

Brup Bup
01-13-2016, 02:46
On for snow, off for summer.

Monkeywrench
01-13-2016, 06:43
Off in summer, on in winter (when there's snow on the ground).

Ercoupe
01-13-2016, 07:02
I take them off because of all the brush, they get caught on. However I have broken two, by the tip getting stuck and lower third seperating and the lock mechanism getting snapped off, no more twist locks for me. Not sure the basket would have helped however.

VTATHiker
01-13-2016, 08:06
I like small baskets to prevent slipping into cracks as mentioned above, but I take them off in the snow. Maybe bigger baskets would work for the snow, but small baskets in the snow tent to get stuck after they sink in and the pole pitches forward as you take a step - you end up yanking the pole out of the snow as it follows a different path out than it did in.

Traveler
01-13-2016, 08:38
I like small baskets to prevent slipping into cracks as mentioned above, but I take them off in the snow. Maybe bigger baskets would work for the snow, but small baskets in the snow tent to get stuck after they sink in and the pole pitches forward as you take a step - you end up yanking the pole out of the snow as it follows a different path out than it did in.

When I keep the small summer baskets on my poles I have the same problem. You may want to try a larger snow basket to reduce that problem. I found the Komperdell leather snow baskets which are slightly larger than typical baskets and flexible so they break the crust and tend to cause the break to fracture around the edges. This in turn allows the basket to pull from the break area without hanging up. Admittedly there are a few times this will happen in real heavy crust, but its not common.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mdedba2d8b1e3beb67a457d310f8d3cbbo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Starchild
01-13-2016, 09:03
I switched to off, but also hike without the straps attached to my wrist and developed the skill of letting go of a 'stuck' pole as not to break it. With carbon poles the straps are IMHO useless, as one needs to let go to prevent breaking them, so with no straps, taking off the baskets are a easy decision. Not only lower weight but lower swing weight as they are at the end.

In winter I switch to AL poles w/ baskets for the snow.

TexasBob
01-13-2016, 09:26
So far we have 12 that take them off at least in the summer and 11 that leave them on all the time.

Traveler
01-13-2016, 09:57
So far we have 12 that take them off at least in the summer and 11 that leave them on all the time.

Should be an easy decision with a coin toss....

nsherry61
01-13-2016, 11:28
It would be interesting to compile baskets on and off vs. which areas of the country people hike in.

For example, hiking in western Oregon, Washington, and/or BC with the little baskets off leads to an annoying amount of poles plunging to deeply into mud or soft ground. In more desert terrain, the baskets don't seem to be an advantage. In all places, the darn baskets get hung up on brush, so it can be a balancing act between, taking the baskets off to improve movement in brushy situations, and leaving them on for softer soil (often both happening on the same trail).

I have ended up keeping my baskets on most of the time. When the trail gets too brushy, I just carry the polls in my hand. Even without baskets, poles get in the way when the brush is thickest. And yes, for poles to be of any use at all in deep snow, of course, snow baskets are a must.

01-13-2016, 11:40
On, but I will say the baskets for my poles are only about 1.75 in solid and have a notch that holds the other pole. For all the same reasons mentioned above. I will add they can and will also snag a vine on the basket but will release easily. I also use the tips on the points. I have lost and found many tips. So much more work to not use the tips, they go in to deep and tough to pull out.

colorado_rob
01-13-2016, 11:58
Sounds like this thread has become a pole poll, so: No baskets (or even straps) for me. I think baskets would be highly annoying on dry ground. I have a separate set of poles with large baskets I use in snow.

poolskaterx
01-13-2016, 15:27
No baskets thank you.

Deadeye
01-13-2016, 16:18
On, for all the reasons mentioned, plus if they're off, you collect leaves in the fall.

cmoulder
01-13-2016, 16:32
On, for all the reasons mentioned, plus if they're off, you collect leaves in the fall.

Yep, around here in the fall the leaves can work their way up the poles and before long you're hefting quite a stack of vegetation with every stride. But tiny baskets will do. The ones on the BD Distance poles are perfect IMO because they're small, and the tips themselves are also smaller and lighter than most. In the winter in the Adirondacks, heck yeah, big honkin' snow baskets—they make a huge difference.

tdoczi
01-13-2016, 17:32
can someone please tell me why anyone would bother taking the straps and baskets off a set of polls? weight is all i can think of. if there some other advantage?

and if its really to save weight... c'mon.

and if you take the straps off, have you ever tried using them correctly? i mean if so and you didnt like it, great, but i often suspect a great many people who decide to not use the straps werent using them the right way.

Riocielo
01-13-2016, 17:43
On, keeps them from getting stuck in the rocks. (Now I understand the 10 characters comment.) :)

Migrating Bird
01-13-2016, 22:45
can someone please tell me why anyone would bother taking the straps and baskets off a set of polls? weight is all i can think of. if there some other advantage?

and if you take the straps off, have you ever tried using them correctly? i mean if so and you didnt like it, great, but i often suspect a great many people who decide to not use the straps werent using them the right way.

Poles, not Polls. I'll give it a shot why to take straps and baskets off. Most of my hiking is in the Northeast with lots of roots, rocks and mud. I learned long ago not to use straps as a downhill ski pattroller. When a pole gets stuck, whether downhill skiing or hiking, I just let go and retrieve, no wrist issues, no twisting and getting thrown off balance. Regarding baskets, those are off for summer, large baskets for winter. One reason is that after the pole is planted and then pivoted forward, the basket is more likely to get hung up by the obstacle when retrieving. Regarding mud, if the basket goes in, it is much more difficult to get out. Any pole in deep mud is useless anyway. I do not "stab" the ground with force, but lightly touch the poles down. They are for balance (like a high wire acrobat) cadence and occasional support on downhills where pole placement is most critical. Leaves are an issue with or without baskets, without baskets a simple light wipe against a tree, rock or root will instantly remove a leaf or two, if your hauling leaves you don't need poles you need a rake.:) Works for me.

shelb
01-14-2016, 00:21
I had the first set break off, so I have removed them since....

George
01-14-2016, 01:13
I always use the baskets for ear rings - so when in town folks with no sense of smell can tell I am a hiker

Traveler
01-14-2016, 07:41

Precisely why I will use rubber tips during spring, summer, and fall. I take those off when on rock or the terrain demands a very sure grip. The tips provide the added feature of not spiking holes along the sides of the treadway and reduces erosion.

peakbagger
01-14-2016, 07:57
Small diameter baskets that came with pole in non snow season. In the rocky whites, poles without baskets tend to get caught in the rocks more often. Good way to break pole tips. In the winter I switch over to snow baskets.

egilbe
01-14-2016, 08:28

I use my trekking poles for my tarp. The pole tips go into a pouch in the tarp. The walls are so steep on the tarp, that the baskets get in the way. Take them off in the Summer. I use my straps.

colorado_rob
01-14-2016, 08:36

and if you take the straps off, have you ever tried using them correctly? i mean if so and you didnt like it, great, but i often suspect a great many people who decide to not use the straps werent using them the right way.Couple of reasons.... Yes, I know how to use straps what some people call "the right way", when I took a basic trekking class many years ago our instructors showed us the "proper" way (hands up through straps, then down on the handles, etc), and this is what I did. then I noticed I stopped using this method because it tended to get in the way when the terrain was fairly steep down, precisely where I most wanted to use the pole, to save weight impact on my aging knees/ankles. So I noticed I was more comfortable not using straps at all, so I quit using them. Then, I realized I actually preferred to use only one single pole, and I would switch the pole back and forth between the two hands quite often, depending on the trail. Easier to do this when not using straps. I'm now a one-pole, no strap, fixed pole length hiker, this has been the evolution of what works best for me. Not using straps is also a bit of a carryover from my type of skiing; one does NOT ever use straps when bashing down through the trees, which is what I like best (catch a pole on a tree branch if you're using straps? Not good).

Strap weight: trivial, HOWEVER, that too is a philosophy: If you never use something, why carry it? The rule of thumb is that 1 pound of weight on you feet is equivalent to 5 pounds of weight on your back in terms of energy usage. I believe this applies to poles as well, as you are lifting/dropping your poles just as many times as you lift your feet, or in my case, because I use only one pole, half as many times. It takes 5 million steps to hike the AT, right? That's 5 million times lifting and placing a pole (2.5M for me). Shaving even a fraction of an ounce doesn't hurt, does it? A basic UL philosophy: if you never ever use it, don't carry it. I also use the lightest poles available (when I bought them), the BD Zpoles. Fixed length, fold into thirds, compact, easy to stow when not using, very light.

MuddyWaters
01-14-2016, 08:51

+
Collect a small amt even with them. But without, probably climb right up to your grips.

MuddyWaters
01-14-2016, 08:53
Precisely why I will use rubber tips during spring, summer, and fall. I take those off when on rock or the terrain demands a very sure grip. The tips provide the added feature of not spiking holes along the sides of the treadway and reduces erosion.

I have half dozen of these ive picked up off trail if you need any spares. Not sure how they come off, but seems people lose them from some poles. Maybe cheapos. We had a scout lose one of his once on a 5 mile hike, found it on return leg. Cheap walmart poles.

tdoczi
01-14-2016, 10:02
Poles, not Polls. I'll give it a shot why to take straps and baskets off. Most of my hiking is in the Northeast with lots of roots, rocks and mud. I learned long ago not to use straps as a downhill ski pattroller. When a pole gets stuck, whether downhill skiing or hiking, I just let go and retrieve, no wrist issues, no twisting and getting thrown off balance. Regarding baskets, those are off for summer, large baskets for winter. One reason is that after the pole is planted and then pivoted forward, the basket is more likely to get hung up by the obstacle when retrieving. Regarding mud, if the basket goes in, it is much more difficult to get out. Any pole in deep mud is useless anyway. I do not "stab" the ground with force, but lightly touch the poles down. They are for balance (like a high wire acrobat) cadence and occasional support on downhills where pole placement is most critical. Leaves are an issue with or without baskets, without baskets a simple light wipe against a tree, rock or root will instantly remove a leaf or two, if your hauling leaves you don't need poles you need a rake.:) Works for me.

so within this thread we "i take them off, keeps them from getting stuck" and "i leave them on. keeps them from getting stuck."

interesting.

mine are on because they came with them on and ive never seen any reason to remove them. and because i cant imagine doing so would cause a problem.

my straps are on because once i learned how to use the straps correctly i really cant see how poles are worth bothering with otherwise. yes i know they can be used without the straps, but to me, what they are capable of doing without the straps renders them not helpful enough to use.

as for safety, just let go of the pole. they arent strapped that securely to your wrist and you arent downhill skiing with them. if youre moving that fast youre moving too fast.

Traveler
01-14-2016, 10:10
I have half dozen of these ive picked up off trail if you need any spares. Not sure how they come off, but seems people lose them from some poles. Maybe cheapos. We had a scout lose one of his once on a 5 mile hike, found it on return leg. Cheap walmart poles.

I've noticed that myself, more of late too. My hiking buddy bought a close out model from BD that has a smaller diameter tip assembly than the recommended tips can hold to when they get into soft dirt/mud and lost them. I suspect there are some "fit" issues either from the manufacturers changing diameters of the tip assemblies, or the rubber tips. A quick drill and safety wire took care of that. My poles for some reason hang on to tips until they literally wear out, though I am tempted to wire them on since I take them off for various conditions I don't yet.

colorado_rob
01-14-2016, 10:19
so within this thread we "i take them off, keeps them from getting stuck" and "i leave them on. keeps them from getting stuck."

interesting. mine are on because they came with them on and ive never seen any reason to remove them. and because i cant imagine doing so would cause a problem.
blah, blah, blah.....
as for safety, just let go of the pole. they arent strapped that securely to your wrist and you arent downhill skiing with them. if youre moving that fast youre moving too fast.I have no idea what your first sentence means.

HYOH, pal, I'm just describing my method, not badmouthing yours.

Not that it pertains to this thread, but I doubt if you get what skiing is about, as even loose straps are a real hazard at even very modest skiing in trees; a tree-snag of a ski basket would yank hard on an arm, potentially causing serious damage. No one I know ever ever uses straps when skiing trees.

tdoczi
01-14-2016, 10:23
I have no idea what your first sentence means.

HYOH, pal, I'm just describing my method, not badmouthing yours.

Not that it pertains to this thread, but I doubt if you get what skiing is about, as even loose straps are a real hazard at even very modest skiing in trees; a tree-snag of a ski basket would yank hard on an arm, potentially causing serious damage. No one I know ever ever uses straps when skiing trees.

my first sentence states that within this thread we have had expressed the same reasoning for both removing and leaving the baskets on.

correct, i know nothing of skiing, besides thinking that what you do with ski poll straps has little to nothing to do with what you do with hiking poll straps. i was not talking about skiing when i was talking about the safety of polls and speed. not entirely sure why you thought (it seems?) i was.

gbolt
01-14-2016, 17:36
I use my trekking poles for my tarp. The pole tips go into a pouch in the tarp. The walls are so steep on the tarp, that the baskets get in the way. Take them off in the Summer. I use my straps.

I used to pitch my tarp in porch mode the same way. However, I switched to pole tip down when I saw a video of the cork handles destroyed by varmints gnawing at the salt build up. Just something to consider. Never really had an issue with either pole end set up, so now it's habit to go with the handle up.

Migrating Bird
01-15-2016, 08:56

interesting.

mine are on because they came with them on and ive never seen any reason to remove them. and because i cant imagine doing so would cause a problem.

my straps are on because once i learned how to use the straps correctly i really cant see how poles are worth bothering with otherwise. yes i know they can be used without the straps, but to me, what they are capable of doing without the straps renders them not helpful enough to use.

as for safety, just let go of the pole. they arent strapped that securely to your wrist and you arent downhill skiing with them. if youre moving that fast youre moving too fast.

I think you hit the nail on the head, you "imagine" on how to use poles without straps. Not trying to start a fight I respect your opinion and experience. I am just explaining what works for me and all the miles of hiking I have done without straps or baskets. Here's a couple more examples on why I do not use them.

River crossings, please never have your straps on, if you fall, try ditching your pack or swimming with poles strapped to your wrists. If you "imagine" you can easily ditch your poles, I strongly disagree. If your worried you will loose your pole, get a grip.:) Baskets also result in greater force (force x distance) from flowing water against the larger surface area. This requires you to use more arm strength to counteract that force.

Hiking along, I can quickly and easily swap one pole to the other hand without breaking stride, no fiddling with the strap and thereby freeing up one hand to do what ever. Letting the pole dangle by the strap as I reach for a water bottle or bite valve doesn't work for me. I find it a pain with straps on which in some situations requires the opposite hand to remove or put on the strap. When I get to a scramble section I just toss my poles up or down. I can also effortlessly change my grip so the pole is up right to knockdown spider webs for example.

Once again, I'm explaining what works for me and why based upon my experience. Yours may vary.

tdoczi
01-15-2016, 09:54
I think you hit the nail on the head, you "imagine" on how to use poles without straps. Not trying to start a fight I respect your opinion and experience. I am just explaining what works for me and all the miles of hiking I have done without straps or baskets. Here's a couple more examples on why I do not use them.

River crossings, please never have your straps on, if you fall, try ditching your pack or swimming with poles strapped to your wrists. If you "imagine" you can easily ditch your poles, I strongly disagree. If your worried you will loose your pole, get a grip.:) Baskets also result in greater force (force x distance) from flowing water against the larger surface area. This requires you to use more arm strength to counteract that force.

Hiking along, I can quickly and easily swap one pole to the other hand without breaking stride, no fiddling with the strap and thereby freeing up one hand to do what ever. Letting the pole dangle by the strap as I reach for a water bottle or bite valve doesn't work for me. I find it a pain with straps on which in some situations requires the opposite hand to remove or put on the strap. When I get to a scramble section I just toss my poles up or down. I can also effortlessly change my grip so the pole is up right to knockdown spider webs for example.

Once again, I'm explaining what works for me and why based upon my experience. Yours may vary.

actually i was "imagining" removing the baskets. i also can't imagine any reason to pick up moose pellets and eat them, but i'm not going to try it just to make sure i'm correct. i may, however, ask someone who tells me they do it why it is they do it.

of course i do make river crossings with my hands through the straps. i also do it with my pack straps unbuckled. i do NOT, however, remove the straps from my pack and throw them away because of this.

as for the straps, ok, got all of that. you don't feel like there is a decrease in effectiveness of the poles by not using/having the straps? to me thats the key tradeoff and if i felt so encumbered by having my wrists in the straps as you do i would simply just not use the poles.

tdoczi
01-15-2016, 09:55
a

of course i do make river crossings with my hands through the straps. i also do it with my pack straps unbuckled. i do NOT, however, remove the straps from my pack and throw them away because of this.

should be without my hands through the straps.

Puddlefish
01-15-2016, 12:57
I've previously used a thin wooden staff, that I dried and varnished myself for my day hikes. Used it mostly for the holy crap I'm falling moments. other than that it was just something to keep my hands from getting numb at my side, and the occasional testing the depth of water or leaves.

Based on this thread, I'm going to use one pole with a strap and a basket, and the other pole with no strap or basket, upside down clearing spider webs while marching like a drum major.

TexasBob
01-15-2016, 16:28
I've previously used a thin wooden staff, that I dried and varnished myself for my day hikes. Used it mostly for the holy crap I'm falling moments. other than that it was just something to keep my hands from getting numb at my side, and the occasional testing the depth of water or leaves.

Based on this thread, I'm going to use one pole with a strap and a basket, and the other pole with no strap or basket, upside down clearing spider webs while marching like a drum major.

Take a selfie and post here.

Cuacoatchoo
01-15-2016, 18:00
Would love to see someone actually lodge a trekking pole in mud upto the basket while walking normally.

Oz count for a lot more on your hands and feet than on your back. Take off what you don't need.

tdoczi
01-15-2016, 20:20
Would love to see someone actually lodge a trekking pole in mud upto the basket while walking normally.

Oz count for a lot more on your hands and feet than on your back. Take off what you don't need.

ever been to VT or ME??

Migrating Bird
01-15-2016, 21:29
actually i was "imagining" removing the baskets. i also can't imagine any reason to pick up moose pellets and eat them, but i'm not going to try it just to make sure i'm correct. i may, however, ask someone who tells me they do it why it is they do it.

as for the straps, ok, got all of that. you don't feel like there is a decrease in effectiveness of the poles by not using/having the straps? to me thats the key tradeoff and if i felt so encumbered by having my wrists in the straps as you do i would simply just not use the poles.

I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent at all. As stated, I respect your opinion, please be respectful of mine.

Thanks

egilbe
01-15-2016, 21:38
ever been to VT or ME??

Im thinking of the spot between East and West Bald Pate. Thats a deep mudhole.

Traveler
01-16-2016, 07:50

Not uncommon in New England when the upper soil strata thaws but remains frozen 6" below the surface. The melt water has no place to go and the soil becomes super saturated.

tdoczi
01-16-2016, 08:30
I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent at all. As stated, I respect your opinion, please be respectful of mine.

Thanks

no, no offense

tdoczi
01-16-2016, 08:32
Im thinking of the spot between East and West Bald Pate. Thats a deep mudhole.

east flagstaff rd to monson is the muddiest place i have ever seen, and i have no doubt that given the right time of year and the right conditions that area or some other can be even worse.

TexasBob
01-16-2016, 10:43
.........Oz count for a lot more on your hands and feet than on your back. Take off what you don't need.

I took the baskets off my Leki poles to try them without baskets for awhile and I weighed the baskets. Both baskets together weighed a total of 0.5 ounces in case anybody is wondering.

Hummy585
01-16-2016, 17:53
I've never used the ones on my trekking stix, but I always use the ones on my snowshoe stix....

Feral Bill
01-16-2016, 20:11
I finally took a look. They are on because they came that way and I have no reason to remove them. Yes, I am that lazy.

tdoczi
01-16-2016, 20:50
I finally took a look. They are on because they came that way and I have no reason to remove them. Yes, I am that lazy.

thats pretty much my take on it. theyre so small in terms of circumference and in weight that the thought of taking them off to gain some sort of advantage would never even cross my mind.

QiWiz
01-18-2016, 12:23
I only use the baskets when there is snow. I find in most other conditions the baskets catch on vegetation and are more annoying than helpful.

TexasBob
01-25-2016, 10:30
I tried my poles without the baskets this weekend on the Lone Star Trail. Parts of the trail are pretty muddy and I wished I hadn't taken the baskets off. Lesson learned.