PDA

View Full Version : Hammock & tarp newbie

GA_Windbreaker
01-12-2016, 15:30
Starting to try out hammock camping a bit so I bought myself a hennessy hex fly. What is the best way to pitch this tarp to weather a storm with 20-25mph winds? Should it be pitched with the sides in tight and the edges low to the ground, or should the whole setup be lowered and pitched flatter?

Thanks!

hubcap
01-12-2016, 16:52
I've had success pitching a tarp with the edge facing the direction of the wind all the way to the ground, or as close as possible. The other side can be left out for viewing/space.

Stick999
01-12-2016, 17:10
I too set up with the sides into the wind. I you encounter that high of wind speed (20-25mph) its best to set up your hammock as close to the ground as possible then bring your fly in low to the hammock ridge line. The sides of the fly should be tight to the ground and as tight as you can the fly to eliminate it from buffering with the wind. The more you experience hanging in the wind the better you will become at the setup.

kayak karl
01-12-2016, 19:40
system low and tarp edges tight to ground and....location, location, location.......

gbolt
01-12-2016, 19:43
Not a wind velocity expert and use a Warbonnet Edge vs. the Hennesy. However, the lower the tarp is pitched over the hammock; the farther out the tarp can be staked close to the ground. This impacts the slope of the Tarp towards the wind. The steeper the slope, the more wind it "catches". The lesser?, or more gradual the slope the more the wind can "ride" up and over the tarp. In storm mode I pitch the tarp just over the ridgeline. When not in storm mode, I prefer more "Head" Room. The need to stake the tarp close to the ground is more about water control than wind control. If staked high the wind just travels at ground level and below the hammock anyway. That's why insulation is so important. In winter snow, the snow has to be piled up in order to block wind and create the micro-climate for easier temperature control. However, it's minimal which is why Under Quilt Protectors and Socks are used to block wind vs. relying on the Tarp. Just my opinions, for what it's worth.