PDA

View Full Version : the humor of gear choices.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
01-13-2016, 15:56
I went to work the other day and told this story to a non backpacker freind. They got a kick out of it so I figured I would tell it here for people that can relate.

so...some of you guys may know that I am going on my first long distane section hike in may. In the beginning of the planning stage, I had decided to use old gear. My old gear is well used, but heavy. Too bulky.

Heres my process of building a hammock.
I have an old hammock. I know its a little heavy, but its comfortable. So I just buy a new suspension kit for the orignal hammock. Awesome right?

On to the tarp. I research and pick a tarp I want. I also find videos of knots for ridgelines. Awesome! Knots are easy. Says the queen of shoe lace less shoes.

While buying the tarp, I buy more line. I also see hammocks that are way better than mine. Only 30 bucks! My order multiplies.

I get my order in after a few days and eagerly start putting things together. My new hammock is great. I love it. I hang in it for a few minutes to test the comfort.

Next comes the tarp, I try my hand at ridgeline knots. Wait, I did the knot correctly. The guy on youtube can put his weight on his...mine slides. WTH? I am comfussed. For the sake of time, I just throw it up a knot to keep the line in place. Next, I try my hang in adjustable knots for tye tie outs.

Wrong. My adjustable knots wont stay. They are too adjustable. At this point I am frustrated. I thought this would be easy!

In the end.....I order a ridgeline from dutch, and some tarpworm.

I went from just living with the old to falling off the deep end of the dutch scale. My entire system is from dutch save for the tarp itself.

illabelle
01-13-2016, 16:06
And all of the above is why I am in charge of the food and the general planning, and my husband is in charge of the gear. Bless his heart!

Traillium
01-13-2016, 18:21
I've a wish list on his site … Desperately trying to resist the urge …

Damn …

Bruce Traillium

tflaris
01-13-2016, 20:31
It's a slippery slope....

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

ChuckT
01-14-2016, 09:25
Gives a new meaning to Dutch Treat.