PDA

View Full Version : Which Trsh Compactor Bags

Googan
01-13-2016, 16:49
Anyone have a preference on what kind of trash compactor bags to buy. I'm going to go with the white ones but are some more durable than others?

soumodeler
01-13-2016, 17:00
I had trouble finding non scented ones and finally found a box of Hefty brand at Ace Hardware. 5 pack for $5.

soumodeler
01-13-2016, 17:01
I guess I should have added that they work very well and can last multiple trips each.

Don H
01-13-2016, 18:08
About a month into my thru the compactor bag I was using started to leak at the bottom seam. I ditched the garage bag and went with a few Seam to Summit UL dry bags. You're probably using stuff sacks anyway for your sleeping bag and clothes so why not make them waterproof. I also found it made the routine of packing up easier.

Rain Man
01-13-2016, 20:21
I usually find Hefty brand, unscented. They're so cheap, I use a new one after every few trips. Much better than multiple waterproof stuff sacks. Have never found those to be waterproof anyway. Plus, they take up more room. Just "stuff" your sleeping bag and tent/hammock into the bottom of the compactor bag in your pack. Much more efficient use of pack space, I have found.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2016, 20:23
Anyone have a preference on what kind of trash compactor bags to buy. I'm going to go with the white ones but are some more durable than others?

what are they for?

Googan
01-13-2016, 22:26
Liner inside your pack to keep out as much moisture as possible

Googan
01-13-2016, 22:26
But I think you knew that

HooKooDooKu
01-13-2016, 22:52
If you can find them, ACE Hardware Store brand are unscented... but not all ACE Hardware stores carry them.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2016, 00:46
But I think you knew that

no. i've never used one

HooKooDooKu
01-14-2016, 03:19
About a month into my thru the compactor bag I was using started to leak at the bottom seam. I ditched the garage bag ...
So which was is that started to leak? A garbage bag or a trash compactor bag? (The primary difference here being thickness... typical trash compactor bags are about twice as thick as typical garbage bags).

Lachlan
01-14-2016, 05:10
The ones Ive been using for the last ten years are white (I've gone through like two of them). I think that there might be a chance that you are thinking too much into it. You are able to look at and see as well as feel the bags quality… any decent quality bag can last years if you are at all careful with it. Im a seasoned long distance backpacker, though I'm also discovering similar issues with trying to make the right stuff better. I attribute it to being ready to start but still having to wait for the start date. Only so much planning can be done and any decent trash compactor bag will do. Good job wanting to use one though, they can really be a life saver. They are a great investment.

BillyGr
01-14-2016, 14:43
You may also find bags labelled as Contractor which tend to be sturdier as well (since a contractor would likely have bits of stuff that could make for a heavy bag and/or sharp items, so they are made to work with those).

Venchka
01-14-2016, 14:58
Things I learned when shopping for a trash compactor bag:
Hefty bags are 2.5 mil. Every supermarket I checked only stocked scented Hefty bags. I didn't go to Ace Hardware (too far from the house) in the hope of finding the unscented Hefty bags.
Generic bags (house branded) are 2.0 mil, unscented and twice the quantity for less money than the Hefty bags.
I bought a box of 10 generic bags at, I think, a Safeway (Randall's) store in Houston. A lifetime supply.
There it is. Everything you ever wanted to know about trash compactor bags.

Wayne

Venchka
01-14-2016, 15:01
You may also find bags labelled as Contractor which tend to be sturdier as well (since a contractor would likely have bits of stuff that could make for a heavy bag and/or sharp items, so they are made to work with those).

Lowe's & Home Depot Contractor bags are black, 3 mils, and 2 or 3 times the size of a home trash compactor bag. Way big. Way heavy. Not good for a backpack.

Wayne

Traillium
01-14-2016, 16:28
In talking with a representative of GLAD bags here in my hometown in Canada, I have learned that using the mil thickness of a plastic bag doesn't give a true measure of its toughness. I was told that Glad constantly rejigs its formulae to increase the toughness while reducing the cost of raw materials. I was told their toughest bag is now only a 2 mil material.
For me, the lesson seems to be that buying a name brand _might_ get me a better product, albeit for a slightly higher price. So far, that works for me.
(BTW, we don't seem to be able to get trash compactor bags here north of the 49th Parallel. My thanks to one of you for so generously sending me an American sample! It now goes with me in my backpack.)

Bruce Traillium

Coffee
01-14-2016, 17:11
I buy whatever compactor bag isn't scented and it is unfortunately rare to find such bags. I was able to purchase five of these bags at the K Mart in Tehachapi while on the PCT. I still have two of them. They last a while. Local stores have awfully scented bags only.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2016, 17:25
why would one need a trash bag for a $300 pack? don't y'all use pack covers?

HooKooDooKu
01-14-2016, 18:37
Rain covers don't completely cover the pack, and they don't provide any protection should you fall into a creek.
So the basic idea is replace the imperfect rain cover with a pack liner.
When properly closed, it doesn't matter how hard it rains or if you fall into a creek... everything in your pack liner will stay dry (unless the pack liner has a hole of course).

But pack liners (and pack covers) are relatively expensive and heavy compared to plastic bags. Typical (kitchen) trash bags are a bit too fragile to use as a pack liner, but trash compactor bags have enough thickness that, with some care, should last quite a while.

egilbe
01-14-2016, 19:34
Ive used the same trash compacter bag for a year now with no issues. I use trash bags for trash.

Cheyou
01-14-2016, 19:46

Who has has a $300. Pack

Puddlefish
01-14-2016, 19:48
For what it's worth the ACE bags co-exist nicely with the thermarest inflation valve.

soumodeler
01-14-2016, 19:58
Who has has a $300. Pack

Lots of people. It is rather easy to drop $300+ on a pack.

http://www.rei.com/c/hiking-backpacks?r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Chiking-backpacks%3Btab.sku-pricerange%3A%24200.00%20to%20%24499.99&ir=category%3Ahiking-backpacks

egilbe
01-14-2016, 20:00
My most expensive pack was $450. Its a SeekOutside Unaweep. They are a bit cheaper now.

Venchka
01-14-2016, 20:18
My most expensive pack was $450. Its a SeekOutside Unaweep. They are a bit cheaper now.

[Thread Drift] How do you like your Unaweep? It may be the only suitable replacement for my Terraplane.
[/Thread Drift]

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Cheyou
01-14-2016, 20:20
I use a turkey roasting bag . Compactor bag is very big.

egilbe
01-14-2016, 21:04
I love it. Its simple and comfortable. Can haul a crapload of...well, crap and its the perfect winter bag. The talon and compression makes it infinitely customizable. Ive had snowshoes, XC skis, trail maintenance tools, all strapped in and stable. Ive also had as little as a 3 liter water bladder and it was still comfortable.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2016, 21:11
Rain covers don't completely cover the pack, and they don't provide any protection should you fall into a creek.
So the basic idea is replace the imperfect rain cover with a pack liner.
When properly closed, it doesn't matter how hard it rains or if you fall into a creek... everything in your pack liner will stay dry (unless the pack liner has a hole of course).

But pack liners (and pack covers) are relatively expensive and heavy compared to plastic bags. Typical (kitchen) trash bags are a bit too fragile to use as a pack liner, but trash compactor bags have enough thickness that, with some care, should last quite a while.
hmmmm. 16K miles walked on the AT and i never needed a pack liner. i've been doin' all wrong

egilbe
01-14-2016, 21:48
hmmmm. 16K miles walked on the AT and i never needed a pack liner. i've been doin' all wrong

HYOH, man. :-)

George
01-14-2016, 22:15

come on LW - put away the hater, bring on the love

Don H
01-15-2016, 09:06
So which was is that started to leak? A garbage bag or a trash compactor bag? (The primary difference here being thickness... typical trash compactor bags are about twice as thick as typical garbage bags).

The trash compactor bag, which interestingly enough is designed to hold garbage. :D

egilbe
01-15-2016, 10:17
The trash compactor bag, which interestingly enough is designed to hold garbage. :D

I Look at it as a bag that is designed to be crushed and stressed.