PDA

View Full Version : Spring break

catfishonrye
12-13-2005, 14:14
Any suggestions for a good Spring break hike (read: 2 weeks, mid-March)? I did springer to Harper's Ferry last year, and I am itching to get back out on the trail, if only for a few weeks this time :( I thought about doing the Highlands again, but it would be nice to see some of the Northern side of the trail... problem: I am not all about the extreme cold. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Just Jeff
12-13-2005, 14:25
Does it have to be AT? There's always the Florida Trail if you don't want the cold. Hammock Hanger has hiked it more than once, I think...actually, I think she's there now. Mowgli here at WB might be able to help you, too.

orangebug
12-14-2005, 11:28
Consider the Foothills Trail in SC. There are ways to connect over to the AT, if you are adventurous.

Footslogger
12-14-2005, 11:34
Spring Break is when BadAss Turtle and I pack up our dive gear and head to some place warm for a week of water. Living in Wyoming, that time of year still finds temps well below zero and trails difficult to locate and impassable.

'Slogger

k4kam
12-14-2005, 16:22
For information on the Florida National Trail, go to www.florida-trail.org/

Now's the time of the year to hike it (no bugs!)

Nean
12-15-2005, 15:14
Hey cat, not sure if my PM sent but sounds like you enjoyed your hike! Mid-March is dicey anywhere on the AT, it ranges from 70s to blizzard conditions. There are some great trails on Kauai; if you don't mind mixing in some snorkeling:sun

Nean
12-15-2005, 15:15
Hey cat, not sure if my PM sent but sounds like you enjoyed your hike! Mid-March is dicey anywhere on the AT, it ranges from 70s to blizzard conditions. There are some great trails on Kauai; if you don't mind mixing in some snorkeling:sun ;)

ScottP
12-16-2005, 02:40
I have been to the Smokies for the last three years during mid-march. If you are prepared for the weather and camp at mostly lower-lying conditions it is beautiful. You can see spring happen as you hike up and down, as the valleys will have some leaves and rhodedendron blossoms and some wildflowers, while the higher elevations will look more like the end of winter. It is also a bit after the peak of the melt, so the streams are all fast and beautiful.

Last year a group of unprepared hikers had to be airlifted out of the GSNMP area due to a foot of snow and hypothermia concerns.

Oh, and also remember that I go to school in Wisconsin. In mid-March 40 degrees seems warm to us.