PDA

View Full Version : Weather Question

Florida Mike
01-13-2016, 21:08
I'm planning to do a section hike from springer sometime around April 20th. This will be my first and I was wondering what the typical temps are for this time of year. Also, any advice on how to get from my destination "Hiawassee" back to Amicolola falls. pardon the spelling I do work for the railroad! Thanks

bigcranky
01-13-2016, 21:51
Several folks shuttle in that area; you can get a list at the ATC web site. If you stay at The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega they will drive you to the trail in the morning and can pick you up when you are done hiking.

I would plan for freezing at night and cool-to-pleasant during the day, though of course it could be colder at night -- check the mountain forecast (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php) in the days leading up to the hike.

also, :welcome

Slo-go'en
01-13-2016, 22:04
Rain is a big factor and can't be predicted too far in advance, other then to note that it can rain a lot in April and May. 40's and sunny is nice, 40's and an all day drizzle with light wind can be miserable. You need to be prepared for both, but late April tends to lean towards having more nice days then bad days.

Lots of shuttles in that area, someone should just buy a bus...

Francis Sawyer
01-22-2016, 10:50
There IS NO " typical" weather. As soon as you assume certain conditions nature can/ will sneak up and kick you in the azz. Remember the Boy Scout motto " be prepared".