PDA

View Full Version : Is Clingman's Dome Road Closed?

slbirdnerd
01-14-2016, 11:57
Hi, all! I believe it is, but just checking because I have a free long weekend this weekend and would like to pick up Clingman's Dome to NFG before I continue my nobo section hiking this spring. I just need to get up to Clingman's from the NFG parking lot. I realize an out-and-back is an option but would like to have some time for dinner in town as well. Thanks!

Traffic Jam
01-14-2016, 12:04
It closes quite often in the winter. If you do Twitter, you can get up to date info.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Traffic Jam
01-14-2016, 12:08
I apologize, I meant Hwy 441. :)

full conditions
01-14-2016, 13:37
It was closed as of November 30 - usually reopens in late March depending on weather.

MockingJay
01-14-2016, 13:43
It is closed to vehicle traffic right now but not to foot traffic. You could hike out to CD and then make excellent time on the road back to NFG.

slbirdnerd
01-14-2016, 13:50
True, MockingJay, thank you!

George
01-14-2016, 14:54
potentialy a nice bike trip when the gate is closed

HooKooDooKu
01-14-2016, 15:32
Clingman's Dome Road is one of the roads in the park that are only open seasonally. (441 is a road they work at keeping open all year long).
The official schedule is that Clingman's Dome Road is only open from April 1 to November 30... weather permitting.
In recent years they have tried to open the road early (say mid March) if they think there will not be any more weather related road closures for the year.

That pretty much means the road will be closed (to vehicle traffic) over the MLK holiday.

But even if the road were open... would you really want to go hiking up there this weekend?
The Mountain Forecast at Clingman's Dome elevation calls for below freezing temperatures and strong winds.
The high temperature is expected to be 25º on Saturday morning (with a wind chill of 9º).
The temperature will only go down from there until it reaches 9º on Monday afternoon (with a wind chill of -15º).
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Clingmans-Dome/forecasts/2025
(lower elevations... such as the elevation of New Found Gap... are only a few degrees warmer).

slbirdnerd
01-14-2016, 15:39
Clingman's Dome Road is one of the roads in the park that are only open seasonally. (441 is a road they work at keeping open all year long).
The official schedule is that Clingman's Dome Road is only open from April 1 to November 30... weather permitting.
In recent years they have tried to open the road early (say mid March) if they think there will not be any more weather related road closures for the year.

That pretty much means the road will be closed (to vehicle traffic) over the MLK holiday.

But even if the road were open... would you really want to go hiking up there this weekend?
The Mountain Forecast at Clingman's Dome elevation calls for below freezing temperatures and strong winds.
The high temperature is expected to be 25º on Saturday morning (with a wind chill of 9º).
The temperature will only go down from there until it reaches 9º on Monday afternoon (with a wind chill of -15º).
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Clingmans-Dome/forecasts/2025
(lower elevations... such as the elevation of New Found Gap... are only a few degrees warmer).

Checking the forecast was secondary to first finding out if there was even access. Thanks, though!