PDA

View Full Version : 2016 trail journals you are following

One Half
01-14-2016, 16:38
I am reading Blizzard's journal right now. Pickings are slim for those already on the AT. His is the only one I found that's actually on the trail.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=19455

He's not real detailed or as fun to follow as Bon Bon was last year but it's what I have right now.

What journals are you guys planning on following?

CarlZ993
01-14-2016, 23:40
I'll be following my friend & fellow Scouter, BevoHi: http://www.postholer.com/journal/Appalachian-Trail/2016/BevoHi/2015-12-15/Pre-Hike-Information/53553

He's planning to start on March 20th.

Longchuan
01-15-2016, 01:28
Sorry about the lack of journals, most of us January NOBOs have been pretty bad at keeping up with journal entries... if there are enough interest I might start posting my written journal on trail journals.

Goatgas
01-27-2016, 11:34
I am reading Blizzard's journal right now. Pickings are slim for those already on the AT. His is the only one I found that's actually on the trail.

He's not real detailed or as fun to follow as Bon Bon was last year but it's what I have right now.

Been following Blizzard until the Blizzard....maybe his trail name should have been "sunshine"...lol. Hope he is ok.

Water Rat
01-27-2016, 11:39

Slipknot is also on the trail right now... http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=518296

I have been looking for some good ones to follow. So far, following Slipknot and Blizzard. Sounds like they are both using their heads and staying safe out there! :)

TheOneGuy
01-28-2016, 07:49
He's not on trail yet...and you know how a lot of those turn out, but:

http://sleepinatent.wordpress.com

Uriah
01-28-2016, 13:07
He's not on trail yet...and you know how a lot of those turn out, but: http://sleepinatent.wordpress.com

It is always a bummer when a decent hiker/journalist runs out of steam along the way and quits writing. It's easy to see why though, as if the trail isn't difficult enough. I frequently revisit the journals of those who never stopped writing while hiking and am utterly amazed...Then the Hail Came, Clever Girl, Liteshoe, Funnybone!, Jonathan Ley, Five-Leafed Clover and others. (I'd like to come up with a list of the top-ten trail journals of all time but need to delve into a few more.)

Heck, by day's end, all I could do was fall to the ground, prop up against a tree, and drool on myself. I would struggle just to set the tent up, and it would often be necessary to force-feed myself.

Decibel
01-30-2016, 08:27
I've am enjoying Slipknot's journal. What happened to Blizzard?

The Cleaner
01-30-2016, 09:19
I met Blizzard last Monday at Hurricane Gap,7 miles north of Hot Springs.Between there and Allen Gap the trail had 3' snowdrifts and many sections where large pieces of snow laden rhododendron had broken off and were blocking the trail.It took me 5 hours to do the 3.5 miles to Spring Mtn. shelter.I had to crawl under several or go around on very steep grades.Also I met Speedstick who has a FaceBook page with a link to her blog.I see that she did make it to Erwin but have not heard from Blizzard.I'd say the section north of Allen Gap was bad also.It it supposed to be "warmer" here with temps near 60*(subtract 10* for the mountains)334643346533466 next week for a few days then another round of very cold weather is coming by next weekend.It will take a lot of rain to melt the deep drifts.I went on to Hot Springs,spent a night then hiked back to Tanyard Gap.Wednesday morning it was 26* and all of that snow would have now frozen over into a solid mess.I was out checking trail conditions for the Carolina Mtn. Club.It will be a while till crews tackle the snowdowns too.

Decibel
01-31-2016, 08:46
Blizzard is back. I was afraid that Jonas did him in.

One Half
02-04-2016, 23:45
Blizzard is back. I was afraid that Jonas did him in.

I was just checking and haven't seen an update from Blizzard since 1-31. Also, AK stopped posting around the middle of the month. I guess for now I am stuck with just the musings of Slipknot. And I have a stress fracture I think so I can't even do my daily walks on even terrain!

Silver Eagle
02-05-2016, 00:03
Was enjoying the journal from Blizzard, but when last updated, he was holed up, seemingly near recovered from some sort of stomach "bug", but nothing since Sunday the 31st. Hope he's alright.

One Half
02-06-2016, 20:59
I hope all are well and safe!

The Cleaner
02-06-2016, 21:34
Most who started early finally figured out what winter camping is like.:eek:

chknfngrs
02-08-2016, 14:28
Tom Gathman aka Jabba aka the real hiking Viking is currently sobo and having fun

kenl
02-09-2016, 21:29
I'll be attempting a thru hike having registered for a March 17th start at Amicalola Falls. I hope to be blogging from the trail (via WordPress email feature). My site is kenlipnickey.com
Best to luck to all heading out this year!

SplitOpenandMelt
02-10-2016, 23:06
I'll be starting the trail on March 7th or 8th. I've already made my first blog post. Stay tuned for more! :D

bmadventuressite.wordpress.com

shelb
02-10-2016, 23:21
I love being able to see these journals! If you know of any great ones from other years, please post how to find them too!

One Half
02-11-2016, 04:04
Bon Bon thru'ed the AT last year. I enjoyed her journal.

One Half
03-25-2016, 11:55
Been reading journals by Rabbit (really enjoy this one) and Two Peas, Subman and Suds, and Papa Monkey.

It's great to see all the photos. Seems there is already water sources drying up out there. I know New England had little snow this year and that concerns me for people running out of water up there later this summer.

Water Rat
03-25-2016, 12:55
I recently discovered the journal being kept by Portage. He frequently updates and gives good descriptions of his day. I think it helps that he is a fairly upbeat guy. His journal can be found over at Trail Journals: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=522599

hikernutcasey
03-25-2016, 13:29
+1 for Rabbit. He is thoughtful and has a really good perspective about his hike.

I just found a really good blog yesterday, especially if you like photos. His name is Wanderer and I highly recommend you check it out. Here is the link: https://talesofwandering.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/day-1-amicalola-falls-springer-mountain-shelter/

Slo-go'en
03-25-2016, 14:07
+1 for Portage. His profile picture kind of turned me off, but he writes well.

One Half
03-25-2016, 16:36
I recently discovered the journal being kept by Portage. He frequently updates and gives good descriptions of his day. I think it helps that he is a fairly upbeat guy. His journal can be found over at Trail Journals: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=522599

+1 for Portage. His profile picture kind of turned me off, but he writes well.

I have skipped over his journal many times. Guess it's time to check it out!

Postmark
03-25-2016, 21:23
Lots of people on the trail. Its just that most of them haven't set the ON THE TRAIL button so they don't show up on the trail.
Have only been hitting one or two now and then.

displacedbeatnik
03-30-2016, 17:19
I just discovered this one, Heading North. She's got a really goofy sense of humor about everything which I appreciate in a blog. https://hdat16.wordpress.com/

Skyline
03-30-2016, 23:25
I've been enjoying Portage and AK. The latter started in January, got off the trail, and started over at Springer in February.

Platypus2016
04-01-2016, 13:15
I hope some of y'all will enjoy my journal \blog this year. Last year I did all of my blogging on Facebook, but this year I have my wordpress site set up. I also made a YouTube channel for my videos. Frenchie (we met last year on the trail, and are going to be hiking together again this year) will be flying in from Quebec on May 1st, and we will both be starting on the 2nd at Harper's Ferry.

Good luck to everyone that is hiking this year
Alex "platypus"
Platypus2016blog.wordpress.com

PS: I have a few really exciting companies who have been awesome, I'll be using Hill People Gear's pack, and Big Agnes for almost everything else. Whenever I feel like I can give a honest and interesting review...I will.

Flash52
04-01-2016, 14:50
You can check out my journal at trailjournals.com/flash52

I'm trying to include more stories and tips rather than just reporting mileage, etc.

I also have a youtube channel with daily videos

Just search youtube for

secrets of a successful hike

Hope this helps and good luck !

Akela
04-01-2016, 19:22
I met Subman and Suds this week in the VA/TN border. They were fun and in great spirits ...and they are pretty good at updating their journal

Akela
04-01-2016, 19:30
...or they were. Going back home.

ranjr13
04-04-2016, 16:29
Portage #1, plus Coach, North Star, Tic and Berkeley (a German Shepherd), Rooster (little writing but check out his YouTube videos), Mountain Goat, SlipKnot, AK, Sonic Goose, Greyhound and Austin Shrock (on Appalachian Trials).

If you combine only a few of these, a trail guide and/or adventure book could easily be written - some great writing and documenting going on this year.

Tipi Walter
04-04-2016, 16:47
I have yet to find a Trail Journal account that holds my interest. Why? Too many interruptions and town visits. Example:

Portage's TJ for March 20---"It was freezing outside and I made the descent to the nearby Waffle House as quickly as I could."

He spent the night in Asheville. And his "descent" was from a motel room to a restaurant.

Then on March 22 he bails into the town of Hot Springs.

I have noticed more and more TJ accounts to be thusly interrupted by non-interesting motel stays and town trips. I wish TJs would categorize their journals by how few town visits a backpacker does.

Does anyone know of such journals??

Slo-go'en
04-04-2016, 17:19
I have yet to find a Trail Journal account that holds my interest. Why? Too many interruptions and town visits.

Hum, that gives me an idea. Maybe the only thing I'll write about in my Trail Journal on my trip this year will be about town and restaurant visits. After all, what's there to say about the trail other then I walked past a lot of trees and rocks. :)

BonBon
04-04-2016, 17:52
I like Conductor, Rabbit and Slip Knot and am starting to follow Bunkie. Yeah, since you can only carry 5 or so days of food, you do have to go into town. While there, why not visit the awful waffle.

displacedbeatnik
04-04-2016, 23:22
Austin Shrock (on Appalachian Trials).

Austin also has a daily trail journal on his own WordPress account at https://austinschrock.wordpress.com/

That kid makes me tired with how many miles he goes each day but he's a great read.

illabelle
04-05-2016, 06:26
Portage #1, plus Coach, North Star, Tic and Berkeley (a German Shepherd), Rooster (little writing but check out his YouTube videos), Mountain Goat, SlipKnot, AK, Sonic Goose, Greyhound and Austin Shrock (on Appalachian Trials).

If you combine only a few of these, a trail guide and/or adventure book could easily be written - some great writing and documenting going on this year.

We met Tic in the Smokies last Saturday. :) Berkeley, being a dog, wasn't allowed.
Also following Portage, nice write-up.

SplendidMonkeyKing
04-06-2016, 20:16
Not to shamelessly plug my own work, but Chex and I maintain a blog over at thelifealpine.com . We post around once per week and vary between talking about our experiences and the trail in general.

One Half
04-23-2016, 00:30
Anyone reading about people getting sick after eating in Damascus? I was just reading El Tejano's journal and he got sick. Seems to me he isn't the first one I have read about this year getting sick in town.

TheOneGuy
04-23-2016, 12:41
shameful self promotion : I've updated once a week for the first 340 miles.

www.sleepinatent.com

Skyline
04-23-2016, 13:01
I've been enjoying Portage and AK. The latter started in January, got off the trail, and started over at Springer in February.

Portage is still going strong; his journal is updated almost daily, still in-depth and a good read. So far, best of 2016 IMHO. It's really thorough enough that it could be easily repurposed as a book.

Anyone know what's happened with AK, who started over in February? His journal ends on March 20 as of today's check. There was some mention in his guestbook of an illness but nothing more. I liked his journal almost as much as Portage's.