PDA

View Full Version : Facts only please. PERMITS

Fireplug
01-14-2016, 18:16
I just came across a thread on the GSMNP requiring that you register online within 38 days of your arrival. I'm glad I found this as I was told any and all permits can be obtained on the trail.
So with that being said. Is there any more surprises I can encounter on the trail that requires pre-registering to hike? Please only post facts.
Thanks. FIREPLUG

dbright
01-14-2016, 18:25
I believe that you are mistaken on the GSMNP permit. You have to be finished and out of the park 38 days after you register for the permit. I plan on registering the day before I leave for my hike and should be through the park in about 25 days or so.

tiptoe
01-14-2016, 18:32
AT hiker permits for the Smokies:
https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm

AT hiker permits for Shenandoah:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm

Perhaps someone else can provide a link to Baxter State Park info.

Fireplug
01-14-2016, 18:38
Dbright you are correct on the 38 days. I'll be filling mine out a day or two before I leave.

swisscross
01-14-2016, 19:00
Just read the GSMNP thru hiker regs and it says you may obtain a permit in advance of you arriving to the park.
Does that mean you have to obtain a permit before you reach the park or can one purchase it upon arrival?

Slo-go'en
01-14-2016, 19:06
The only one you have to worry about before hand is for the Smokies, as you need to pay for and print the permit before you enter the park. This can be done at several locations along the way, but most do it before they leave and get it out of the way. But since a significant number of people don't even make it that far, you might want to wait to do it when your sure you'll make it.

Shenandoah you fill out a free permit when you get there.

Baxter you just hope there is room for you at the thru hiker shelter when you get there and pay cash. (or is it free, I don't remember)

Slo-go'en
01-14-2016, 19:10
Just read the GSMNP thru hiker regs and it says you may obtain a permit in advance of you arriving to the park.
Does that mean you have to obtain a permit before you reach the park or can one purchase it upon arrival?

You'll have to go to the lodge at the Fontana Village Hotel and ask to use their computer and printer. No big deal as you'll be going there for resupply and the restaurant anyway. You need the permit before you enter the park and Fontana village is the last opportunity to do that.

egilbe
01-14-2016, 19:30
The only one you have to worry about before hand is for the Smokies, as you need to pay for and print the permit before you enter the park. This can be done at several locations along the way, but most do it before they leave and get it out of the way. But since a significant number of people don't even make it that far, you might want to wait to do it when your sure you'll make it.

Shenandoah you fill out a free permit when you get there.

Baxter you just hope there is room for you at the thru hiker shelter when you get there and pay cash. (or is it free, I don't remember)

The Birches is $10. A regular campsite, if there is space, is $30. Cash only.

HooKooDooKu
01-15-2016, 10:24
Dbright you are correct on the 38 days. I'll be filling mine out a day or two before I leave.
You can obtain the permit up to 30 days before you enter the park. Once you enter the park, you have 8 days to leave.

I know the web page for the permits includes the phrase "Your permit is valid for 38 days from the date the permit is issued". But you have to take that in context with all the rest of the instructions.

So once you enter the park, your permit is only valid for the next 8 days. You may leave the park for things like a resupply or overnight stay in places like Gatlinburg. But your time outside the park still goes against your 8 day limit.

This means that you are not allowed to spend 4 days going from Fontana to New Found Gap, then spend 5 days down in Gatlinburg, then spend another 4 days hiking from New Found Gap to Davenport Gap.

Even the phrase "valid for 38 days" isn't accurate. It is valid for "up to" 38 days, but it would only be valid on day 38 if you entered the park on day 30.