PDA

View Full Version : Long Hikes & That Fun Time of Month...

drsukie
12-13-2005, 16:46
I have been lucky in my hiking experiences to be able to schedule most hikes away from THAT time. :)

I am planning on doing some longer hikes this winter, in prep for starting NOBO this Spring. My cycle is not excatly perfect anymore; I am in perimenopause, so things are not as easy to guess as they were. SO.. I am thinking of taking my birth control non-stop to avoid periods on the 6 month odyssey.

Any thoughts? All help will be thankfully accpeted! Sue

Spirit Walker
12-13-2005, 17:55
I found that my periods were both lighter and less frequent when hiking. On a six month hike, I'll usually only bleed every two or three months because of the change in diet and exertion. At this point of perimenopause (I'm 49), I only have a period every six months or so anyway, so I'm not that worried about next year. (I'll probably start on day one of the trip, but after that, I should be good.) Even if you do start, it's not that big a deal. Tampons don't weigh much, and you go to town often enough that the used ones are easy to dispose of every few days.

julie
01-04-2006, 13:16
I recommend you check out the DivaCup: www.divacup.com (http://www.divacup.com).

I am a huge fan & will never go back to disposable products.

Marta
01-04-2006, 13:20
If you're done with childbearing, check out Nova Sure, or one of the other endometrial oblation (sp?) procedures. Outpatient. Cures the problem permanently.

Almanac
01-04-2006, 16:12
If you decide to take the birth control pill route to skip menstruating, I would suggest checking out the Nuva Ring. I've used it for well over a year, but I've just recently started seeing ads on TV for it. It's a thin, flexible ring that provides continuous release of hormones, so you're always at the same level. Even taking the pill by mouth at the same time everyday, you have peaks and troughs of hormone levels...this eliminates that. And it eliminates you having to remember to take the pill everyday at the same time.

Whatever pill/ring you decide to use, you should start a few months ahead of time. Your body is accustomed to menstruating at (roughly) the same time every month, so you should expect some "breakthrough" for the first month or 2. My gynecologist recommends allowing a period every 3 months, but said going for 6 months (a thru-hike) would be okay. If you could, I would start now, stay on the "pill" for three months, allow a period right before you leave, then go for 6 months.

At www.nuvaring.com there is an offer for a free month if you want to give it a try.

QHShowoman
01-04-2006, 17:06
I've been taking oral contraceptives for about 14 years now and recently switched to Seasonale, which is basically a 90-day continuous supply of contraceptives, thereby eliminating your periods to once every three months. Research has indicated that it is safe to postpone menstruation to once every six months, so two cycles of Seasonale will just about cover my thru-hike. I am on my 3rd cycle (8th month) of Seasonale and have not experiences any noticeable differences, other than fewer periods! I had very slight spotting once during the 1st cycle, but that was it.

However, as with any other oral contraceptive, it doesn't work the same way for everyone.

drsukie
01-12-2006, 21:49
If you're done with childbearing, check out Nova Sure, or one of the other endometrial oblation (sp?) procedures. Outpatient. Cures the problem permanently.

Never started with childbearing, and at 46 have no plans to start now. As if I had the option, either....! ;) But, I don't know if I want to do a surgical procedure this close to my trip. I think I will go with the totally unhealthy choice of taking non-stop birth control for the duration. Less pack weight, too! I like this idea for long-term though -- thanks! Sue

Marta
01-12-2006, 22:48
As surgical procedures go, Nova Sure isn't much. I went to work the day after, though I felt a bit crummy. The second day, I was fine. For me, the various pills didn't do the job. If they had, I probably would have left it at that. I hope they work for you.

drsukie
01-12-2006, 22:53
Marta - if that is the case, I will look into it. I have horrible visions of being swollen and painful for a week or more -- and since I am on my feet all day adjusting people, that would not be fun! Again, thanks....:)

Marta
01-12-2006, 22:55
For me it was nothing like that. The whole recovery was less messy and painful than one period. Ask your doctor...

drsukie
02-02-2006, 23:49
For me it was nothing like that. The whole recovery was less messy and painful than one period. Ask your doctor...

I talked to my GYN today - you are right, this is THE way to go! Especially since I've a tad high BP tight now (stress of ailing Dad, selling practice perhaps?) and am not a candidate for birth control pills. Not that I need the hormone cocktail right now anyway!

Thanks!!!! :jump Sue

camich
02-03-2006, 13:43
I recommend you check out the DivaCup: www.divacup.com (http://www.divacup.com).

:confused: I have been reading about these devices since a similar thread about a year ago. I'm very skeptical. Has anyone tried more than one brand? Are there any significant differences? Has anyone tried it and NOT liked it?

Mammoth
02-05-2006, 14:57
:confused: I have been reading about these devices since a similar thread about a year ago. I'm very skeptical. Has anyone tried more than one brand? Are there any significant differences? Has anyone tried it and NOT liked it?

I've been researching this product too. The only negative review that I read was about a woman who could not remove it and had to go to a doctor. But the other 99% of reviews were whole-heartedly positive. It seems like the Divacup would be better because it is medical grade silicon (silicone?) rather than the rubber of the Keeper. I still haven't tried it, but hopefully someone else will have some advice.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-05-2006, 15:49
I've been wondering, too. My period gets REALLY heavy (changing a pad every hour, can't use tampons because of leakage) for about two days. Anyone with the same situation use the Diva Cup or Keeper?

onicoe
02-06-2006, 07:43
rose, there's lunapanties that you could use as a backup. they're reusable.

Smile
02-06-2006, 10:06
I've had a few friends who rave about the 'keeper' and the 'diva cup'. GladRags sells tham and is an environmentally friendly company, uses organic cotton ( made in USA too I think). Apparently even the rubber is harvested 'fairly'and not by a big corporation, and is 100% natural - nothing added, no chemicals.

http://gladrags.com

julie
02-06-2006, 12:54
When I first got my divacup getting it in and out was a little rough but now I am used to it and it is no problem at all. The key is to relax. It cannot go away inside you, there is nowhere for it to go. If it goes up so far that you have a hard time getting it out, the next time you take a poop the pushing will bring it down (but not out, it won't come all the way out without your help.

It is about the size of an egg, I would say. To get it in you rinse it in hot water, pinch it flat, and fold it in half. You insert that and when it is about halfway in you let it pop open. The idea is that it is rigid enough to press against your vaginal walls and make a seal. Once it slides into place you cannot even feel it. There is a little stem at the bottom to pull it out with and sometimes that pokes a little but it is easy to rearrange things to your liking.

I wash mine two or three times a day (just along with washing my hands after using the bathroom, hot water and soap), then at the end of my period I boil it before I put it away. On the trail you could substitute that antibacterial hand cleanser stuff but I would still rinse it with water. On the website it says just rinse it with water you would swim in (i.e. it doesn't have to be filtered water).

I would say I have medium-heavy periods and I do just fine emptying it morning, noon and night. It even has ounces marked on it if you are into statistics. The other nice thing, since it is not absorbent like a tampon, is that you can insert it pre-emptively and if you don't get your period it is no big deal. No wasted tampon and no dried-out you.

I would say it is a little more work because you have to keep it clean but you never have to worry about running out of tampons or carrying used tampons. As far as cleanliness I think it is at least as clean as a tampon and there is no string to wick nasty bacteria up into you and no absorbent material for said bacteria to breed in.

mambo_tango
02-06-2006, 14:45
I have found that the Diva cup was cheaper at my local health food store by 10 dollars than the one you order from their website.

ssjett
02-10-2006, 12:58
I picked up a Diva Cup to try since reading about it on another long-distance hikers' forum. I love it. It's easy, feels cleaner than tampons - no leaks. Not at all. Not once. Wow. I'm taking one on my thru-hike this year, & I don't ever plan to go back to disposables.

Also, I noticed that I didn't need to wear it for as many days as I usually wear tampons. I asked my OB/GYN & she said that many women who use tampons experience "backflow" - meaning that their flow has nowhere to go, & so ends up in other places - it's what can cause endomitriosis. With the cup, my flow was finished in 2 & a half days instead of my more usual 5. I'm a believer.

It takes a day or two to get used to the motions of taking it out & putting it back in, but you can't feel it once it's there, & it's easy once you get the hang of it. Give it a try!

banania
02-18-2006, 22:19
Another rave for the little reusable cup...I've been using the Keeper for 3 years, and I LOVE it! It has changed my periods completely! It is way cheaper, lessens cramps, has far far fewer health risks and is way more environmentally-friendly than disposable options! I even love that unlike pads and tampons, it does not pretend and to be sterile. Many women believe pads and tampons are sterile, like bandaids. They aren't. I also think that using a Keeper or DivaCup or whatever can help improve the image that women have of their menstruating selves--I like that the Keeper company emphasizes the fact that menstruation isn't gross or somehow unhygenic. I get to know how much I actually menstruate (there's a few lines inside to indicate ounces), which is sort of neat after just seeing it all absorbed mysteriously away.
It took a couple periods to get used to, but now I can't imagine ever going back. Seriously. Do yourself a favor and get one. Then do the rest of the women in your life a favor and spread the word. Buy them as birthday presents!
mle

Travel_Girl82
04-10-2006, 02:00
To anyone considering this "non-stop pill" method, all of the doctors I have spoken to agree that with the studies that have been done, this approach is perfectly acceptable and safe. While I have not had the chance to do this on the trail yet, I have gone for several months cycle-free, several different times, and have not experienced any problems. It is for sure what I will be doing when I leave SOBO from Harpers Ferry in Sept. I look at it as one less thing to pack out. Besides, who wants to worry about cramping, bloating, and headaches when you don't have to? :p

titanium_hiker
04-29-2006, 04:04
ok- question about empting cup devices (keeper etal) do you just dump it down the toilet? Does a lot of blood remain after dumping? how much blood do you get on your fingers? Would washing it in public bathrooms be weird?

I know I HATE carrying around tampons- pads are a little better.

what you were saying about "backflow" scares me a little- elaborate?

cheers.

oh, and do you just do ibuprofin for cramps when on the trail?

titanium_geek

Gaiter
04-29-2006, 16:10
I'm going on a two-month section hike soon, I went to my doc becasue I was thinking about using the reusable cups, but since i have a 'severly' retroflexed uterous (not straight up like all the pics in science books have it, actually only 60% of women are like that), she said it wouldn't work for me anyways. instead she gave me a Rx for 3months of pills and i just skip over the the inactive pills so i won't have a period. She did make it a point to tell me not to go more than 3 months w/o one though. But as a warning some insurance companies (like mine) won't let you buy more than a months worth in a month, luckly she had 3pks that she could sell me from the clinic, they were also cheaper that way, different brand, same ingredients (insurance $25 a month cover, and these were $35 for 3 months)

Hanna

cheetah
06-26-2006, 02:21
Wow. Never heard of such a thing! When I turned 40, my flow became unbelievably heavy, to the point where sometimes I'm in the bathroom every 20 minutes. Would such a device work well with so much volume? How much does it hold? Why would it lessen cramps? Is this how women managed periods in the 1800's? Caz I'm telling you, if I were a pioneer woman, not much would get done on some days!

peanuts
06-26-2006, 10:47
Ask your doctor about starting the Depo shot. I have been using it for the last 3 years, no more periods...HOORAY!!!! The Depo shot has been around for a long time.

weggers
07-04-2006, 04:04
Words of caution for anyone thinking of switching birth control methods before going on the trail... This is an obvious statement, but not all women react to birth control methods in the same way. What may work for someone may cause another person to have violent mood swings or horrible cramping. I have many friends who have not reacted well to injected birth control. Please leave yourself a large window for your "experiment" so that you can revisit your doctor if necessary.

As far as my period on the trail...

My periods are light, so I can't speak to those of you with a heavy flow. But for the past few months I have been using the Diva Cup, and I just love it. I purchased the Diva Cup for a couple of reasons: the silicon is medical grade and can theoretically be boiled to sterilize it (I haven't tried it; but if it holds its shape, this would be very hiker friendly), I think the Diva Cup had better reviews than the Keeper on many web sites, and finally my health food store carried the Diva Cup (and it was $10 cheaper than advertised, as Mambo Tango pointed out). Right off the bat I noticed that the Diva Cup wasn't abrasive and didn't dry me out like tampons... a much more comfortable period (and fewer friable areas later... which means sex is more comfortable too). I haven't had any problems with leakage with the Diva Cup like I had with tampons... but you have to make sure that you get the size that fits you. Another pro for me: I can keep track of my menstrual cycle much better than with absorbents (but this could be a con for anyone squeamish; you really have to be willing to get down and dirty with your period).

So to answer your questions, Titanium Geek:

Emptying cup devices: much easier than you might think. I always worried about spilling the cup, but it is very easy to keep it upright. You can dump it down the toilet, but how much remains depends on how viscous the fluid is. At home, I wash it out in the sink. In public restrooms I dump as much out as I can, and then I use toilet paper to wipe it out.

As long as you can be discreet and clean up after yourself, I don't think washing it in a public restroom would be too weird. I know many people who do just this. You'll want to wash your cup with soap and water as often as possible when changing it.

As for messy fingers, I think I get approximately as much blood on my fingers as with a messy tampon, which is certainly some. But there's always toilet paper to wipe away any obvious mess and water to take care of the rest.

This certainly all gets trickier when you're hiking (rinsing with a water bottle or bladder can be tedious). I'd recommend trying out the Diva Cup or Keeper for at least a month or two before hiking with it. A great advantage of the Diva Cup for hiking: no mess to pack out, and you won't be carrying much extra weight or volume (i.e. tampons or pads) for the just-in-case. And we all know how sporadic menstrual cycles can be on the trail!

Tree-girl
07-04-2006, 16:00
I'll add another rave review for the Divacup. I've had it all 5 months of my thru-hike-in-progress, and it's be wonderful. It's very easy to use, not matter where you are -- I'm almost never near a public restroom, but I carry wet wipes to clean it. I never thought it would be possible to forget I have my period, especially hiking, but I honestly have sometimes! It seems to make it shorter, for me more like 5 days rather than the usual 7. I don't know if it's an effect of the divacup or the excercise, or both, but ever since I started using it I haven't had any cramps. Not once! Someone mentioned boiling -- I've boiled it, and it isn't damaged or anything.

esthersigne
07-10-2006, 14:52
Hi, a newbie here planning her first AT long distance section hike.
I've tried "Instead" but never a DivaCup. The problem with "Instead" was that it would not stay in. It was far too large. It was very uncomfortable and inconvenient to have it literally pop out of me.

Does the DivaCup fit anyone out there who is a typically "small" woman? (We're talking not even "regular" tampons fitting comfortably here.) I really want to try a DivaCup but I don't want to waste money like I did with "Instead."

Thanks!

LULU
07-10-2006, 15:32
Hi girls,
I'm reading about this diva cup, is really gross and you hands get all dirty when you are changed. I work in the hospital and it's not a prety picture when you have to removed this cup with surgery.
Get more information before you get this product about infections,virginity,
and all the other health problem.

very concern.

lourdes

lava
07-10-2006, 15:51
I work in the hospital and it's not a prety picture when you have to removed this cup with surgery.

Can you cite an actual case where surgical removal was necessary?

It seems very unlikely. I use the keeper, which is similar to the diva cup and I can imagine no way that it would get in there in a way that would require surgical removal.

As far as the gross-ness factor. It does take some getting used to when you first try it. And of course, a little hygiene goes a long way.

I started using the keeper 6 years ago and would never go back.

If you think your period is gross, then I'm sorry that you're not comfortable with body's natural rhythms. There's certainly no need for you to try the diva cup or the keeper. However, please don't try to scare other people away without evidence to back up the problems that you describe.

I have a short hike coming up soon when I expect I'll be using my keeper and I'm so happy that it will be that rather than pads or tampons that I would then have to pack out.

weggers
07-10-2006, 15:52
esthersigne, I am also a small woman. The Diva Cup comes in two sizes, one pre- and one post-childbirth. You'd just want to get the pre. Never had a problem with it being uncomfortable; it naturally positions itself. I think they even offer a refund if it doesn't work out.

As far as having to have these surgically removed... Your muscles will hold the Diva Cup or similar devices in place. They won't work their way into the uterus and get "lost". Risk of infection is low, if you wash it regularly and keep it clean before inserting it. (Not any higher than tampons.)

corentin
07-10-2006, 17:09
Once you get the trick of inserting/removing the diva cup it is wonderful. The only way it should be really messy is if it is left in way too long...most women's flows are not that heavy. I can leave mine in for a whole shift, 13 or so hours , and not have a problem with it being messy .
I really don't see why this would ever need to be removed surgically, seems like there would be far less risk then with a tampon . Usually the deal with tampons is women put them in, forgetting they already have one in, can't do that with a diva.

Blissful
07-10-2006, 22:06
Anyone perimenopausal - like me? Just wondering on this diva cup with vaginal dryness, etc. It can get pretty irritating down there at times.

weggers
07-11-2006, 01:28
I think the Diva Cup (and Keeper) would be much more comfortable than tampons, Blissful. There's no absorbent material to absorb your natural moisture, and the smooth sides are non-abrasive. I found tampons to be pretty scratchy at times, so it's nice to be using something so comfortable.

BerGraves
07-22-2006, 14:06
Here's a quick question regarding the diva cup...I've been reading about it because I would like an alternative to tampons on my thru--hike this spring...however, no one seems to talk much about taking it out. How do you take it out without it spilling or making a mess all over. i'd like to be pretty clear on how it works before buying one. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

onicoe
07-24-2006, 08:23
i just started using my diva cup that i received a few days ago (talk about lucky timing). it would seem that taking such a thing out would lead to a big mess but it doesn't. you just pinch to release the seal, and pull, some people fold it slightly. but, as you're taking it out you angle it more vertically than horizontally. the cup holds it all so you can then dump it.

Michele
07-24-2006, 09:17
I've been using mine for 4 months now. I'm still having one issue though. The part of the insertion process where it is supposed to "pop open" is not happening automatically like the directions say it should. I've had a few instances where I thought it had, and it didn't, and then guess what...surprise mess later in the day. This is my only issue w/it, otherwise I love it, but am at a loss as to what to do about this. Anyone else deal w/this and if not, any suggestions as to what might be happening? I follow the directions as closely as I think anyone could. I really want to gain confidence in this thing, because I think it is totally the way to go on a hike, but I can't be stressing about it functioning properly either. Thanks ladies!

onicoe
07-26-2006, 13:43
i get that too but this is only my first cycle so i'm hoping it's just new-ness to the whole thing. sometimes i can fiddle and get it to open, sometimes i'll sortof twist/squat/jump around in hope that it'll pop open, sometimes it'll pop open itself a few minutes after i put it in (boy is that a weird feeling inside..) i just read today about rinsing the cup in cold water after washing it to make the material less pliable.

here's a great link i also found this morning on different folding techniques:
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/453392.html

latte
07-26-2006, 14:09
I have used the Diva cup for a year. Before that I was using Instead, a disposable version of the same thing. I will never go back to pads and tampons. With the cup, there is no vaginal drying or desensitivity. It is very easy to clean too. However, I don't usually clean it in public bathrooms if others are present. I have a second clean one that I take with me to use. I wipe off the used one, put it in a ziploc baggie in my handbag, and clean it at home.

I have a different problem while hiking. My birth control pills work fine at home, but the day I start backpacking, I start breakthrough bleeding. So much so that I'll go through my clothes. I have to have something to deal with that. This year I forgot my Diva. There aren't too many resupplys in the 100 mile wilderness. I started bleeding so much that I had to tell my hiking partner (my brother) the situation. "If you see blood on my pants, don't freak!!" :eek: Very embarrasing. Didn't have enough toilet paper to solve the issue either. I've tried depo shots and others, but progesterone only products make me anxious and hyper. "Crazy woman" is not a trail name I want!!

Michele
07-27-2006, 08:24
i get that too but this is only my first cycle so i'm hoping it's just new-ness to the whole thing. sometimes i can fiddle and get it to open, sometimes i'll sortof twist/squat/jump around in hope that it'll pop open, sometimes it'll pop open itself a few minutes after i put it in (boy is that a weird feeling inside..) i just read today about rinsing the cup in cold water after washing it to make the material less pliable.

here's a great link i also found this morning on different folding techniques:
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/453392.html

Hey Onicoe, I checked out that link and couldn't help but start chuckling right off....although I'm going to see if I can try a few of these and see what happens. I didn't realize you could fold such a small piece of silicone so many times! I too have found myself doing all kinds of strange movements/jumps/twists/rotating motions to try to get the thing to pop open...so what shall we name our dance? :D I've got until next March to figure this thing out....so if I do, I'll let you know! In the meantime, even w/an occassional technical difficulty, I still prefer this over any disposable item any day.

Michele
07-27-2006, 08:51
I have used the Diva cup for a year. Before that I was using Instead, a disposable version of the same thing. I will never go back to pads and tampons. With the cup, there is no vaginal drying or desensitivity. It is very easy to clean too. However, I don't usually clean it in public bathrooms if others are present. I have a second clean one that I take with me to use. I wipe off the used one, put it in a ziploc baggie in my handbag, and clean it at home.

I have a different problem while hiking. My birth control pills work fine at home, but the day I start backpacking, I start breakthrough bleeding. So much so that I'll go through my clothes. I have to have something to deal with that. This year I forgot my Diva. There aren't too many resupplys in the 100 mile wilderness. I started bleeding so much that I had to tell my hiking partner (my brother) the situation. "If you see blood on my pants, don't freak!!" :eek: Very embarrasing. Didn't have enough toilet paper to solve the issue either. I've tried depo shots and others, but progesterone only products make me anxious and hyper. "Crazy woman" is not a trail name I want!!

Hey Latte, I had never thought about purchasing a second one, and that might lower some of my (self-induced) stress I have about being clean enough during my thru-hike. I've been trying to figure out the actual "routine" one would go through, if out in the woods/privy as far as washing it off, in a timely manner so you're not out there w/your pants around your ankles for 10 minutes. So, if I had a second one, I could take care of business and then spend the time (fully clothed) cleaning the other one thoroughly. Hmmmm...thanks for your info!

Sorry to hear about your other problem...does this only happen while you're physically exerting yourself?

Swass
09-07-2006, 13:08
Just a quick word about using pills to skip periods... I agree with the person who recommended to try it out for a few months first. The first time I tried it, I ended up spotting for about 7 days instead of having a 3 day period.

I'm definitely going to ask my doc about Seasonale or something similar. Has anyone tried Ortho Evra (the patch)? The girls in the commercial look like they're having a ball!

Questions about the diva cup:

If you leave it in too long, do you get overflow?

Although I'm not squeamish about my body or my period at all, I still think I would have a hard time removing, emptying, rinsing and re-inserting on the trail with my nasty fingers. I suppose hand sanitizer and wet wipes work for this, but I'm kind of an obsessive hand washer when it comes to my period. Okay, so that's not really a question. Just a thought.

lava
09-07-2006, 14:48
Yes. If you leave it in too long, you can get overflow. Depends on how heavy your period is.

Mine is very light, so sometimes I forget:eek: and leave it in for more than 24 hours. OTOH I have had the rare heavier day where I got surprised because I needed to empty more than twice a day.

When hiking with the cup, I generally carry a bottle of water to the "restroom" for cleanup purposes. I like the ones with the pop-up top so that you can squeeze the water out and use it to rinse off the cup, hands, etc. and then follow that up with TP and hand sanitizer.

sarbar
09-07-2006, 20:46
Wow, some of us have it bad! I feel for you :(

I feel fortunate I quess. I have had an IUD for the past almost 9 years, and while I have heavy periods at home (with bad cramps), put me on the trail and my period dies off fast, and cramps? Gone! Love it! Of course, my period always lines up to start 2 minutes on the trail every month.

As for cups and whatnots, once you get used to them, they are not bad. I don't use them, but I can see that for a couple month or more trip, they would be great. The only issues are to make sure you wash your hands before and after, to avoid bladder infections, etc. As for getting lost up there: not likely. The worst is that a person freaks out and their muscles clench up. The cups are working in the same principle as the old school diaphragms. Worst case is you just lay back and do some deep breathing till you relax, then go searching for it :p But do keep your nails on those fingers trimmed-so you don't tear your cup on accident :D

Pest
09-08-2006, 22:50
To anyone considering this "non-stop pill" method, all of the doctors I have spoken to agree that with the studies that have been done, this approach is perfectly acceptable and safe. While I have not had the chance to do this on the trail yet, I have gone for several months cycle-free, several different times, and have not experienced any problems. It is for sure what I will be doing when I leave SOBO from Harpers Ferry in Sept. I look at it as one less thing to pack out. Besides, who wants to worry about cramping, bloating, and headaches when you don't have to? :p

How can this be safe when it is known that the pill is dagerous?

Michele
09-08-2006, 23:24
Well ladies, last time I posted, about 2 months ago, I was having problems w/it not automatically "popping open". I've figured it out and have to say I love love love this thing. I think I've managed to save $75.00 already by not having to purchase disposable items.

I can't recommend this thing enough, so for all of you thinking about trying it, go for it. Even if you decide it's not for you, you're only out $35.00. Just wanted to put in my two cents.

Swass
09-09-2006, 09:44
How can this be safe when it is known that the pill is dagerous?

I'm not sure what you mean... Like any medication, there are risks for some people - especially smokers, but I am not a smoker so I think the pill is right for me.

The pill I am on now is a low dosage pill, too. Very different from the stuff being made 40 years ago.

There is one practical concern, though. I don't know about most of you but I've had some experiences where I've been happy to see Aunt Flo, if you know what I mean. Supressing menstruation can sometimes make that a very gray area.

sarbar
09-10-2006, 22:36
When peopel say The Pill is dangerous, I say look at the flip side: pregancy is dangerous also ;)
As long as you are not a smoker, over 40, heart disease, have high blood pressure or if your Dr says no, then you are for the most part ok with the Pill.

I cannot take it, due to my bad blood pressure. Then again, I am sure there are plenty of critics of my IUD, who would claim I will go infertile, have a ruptured uterus, get PID, etc, etc.....for me, getting pregant is MORE of a risk than any form of birth control I use.

As with any thing on the internet involving your health: talk to a good dr!!

SillyGirl
09-12-2006, 22:37

I apologize for being ignorant, I've heard of these and dont some research into them but being on a hiking excursion how do you properly clean them? I am new to this sight and am looking for advice on many topics as I am planning to hike part of the AT after graduation in May. I plan on hiking from CT. through ME. so any info would be appreciated.

Tree-girl
09-13-2006, 14:54
On my thru-hike, I used wet wipes to clean it whenever I emptied it, and washed it with hot water and soap whenever I hit a town. It's a good idea to boil it after your cycle is done for the month, then I stored it in a baggie, making sure it was dry and sealed well. The diva is definately the way to go, I don't know how I would have managed without it. Have fun in New England!!
~Tree-girl

lindy
09-13-2006, 20:37
Thank you for all the wonderful posts about the diva. I am looking into buying one after using homemade pads for over a year. Yes I am a bit of a radical ha ha and was wondering what to do on the trail.

Anyway my question is that I am not sure which one to buy. I have not given birth but I am over 30 (38). Any ideas on how I should chose which one to buy?

thanks in advance
Lindy

Michele
09-13-2006, 21:37
Thank you for all the wonderful posts about the diva. I am looking into buying one after using homemade pads for over a year. Yes I am a bit of a radical ha ha and was wondering what to do on the trail.

Anyway my question is that I am not sure which one to buy. I have not given birth but I am over 30 (38). Any ideas on how I should chose which one to buy?

thanks in advance
Lindy

Hi Lindy,

I'm 33, and I purchased the larger one. I've neve given birth either. Somewhere on the Diva Cup website, it states if you're over 30, to get the larger size, due to the natural spreading of the pelvic region that occurs in women over 30.

This thing is awesome and if you have any more questions, there's plenty of us gals here that will be happy to help. I'll never go back to disposable items.

mweinstone
09-14-2006, 18:13
sorry ,... ill get out..

judypudy
03-14-2007, 01:13
Been on BCP for years. Was thinking about switching - looked into Nuvaring, patch, and Seasonale.

Since I would be buying 6 months worth, my insurance wouldn't cover.

The patch was ~$50 for 3 weeks worth - too expensive. The Nuva ring was ~$42 for 3 weeks worth, which would be OK (the other thing is that is can't be out of refrigeration for more than 4 months before using, but since I'm doing a flip-flop I didn't think it would be problem.)

Generic Seasonale was $127 for 90 days. But there would be the taking the pill every day thing.

So after discussing the options with my gynecologist - she suggested the Mirena IUD because it's covered by my insurance, it lasts 5 years, you get your period for the first 2-3 months, and then your period stops. I emphasized my main priority was to NOT get my period. So I went for it. However, on the website, it says only 20% if women cease menstruating. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also - Diva cup question - is it good to use for "breakthru" or spotting? How long can you leave it in max?

I wish I thought of hoarding my BCP - smart idea.

Thanks for your help-

BugGirl
03-14-2007, 11:05
Has anyone tried depo for over a long trip? I am planning to thru the AT and was talking to my gynecologist about options. She suggested depo because of no periods...but I'm wondering the ease of finding a doctor who could administer depo along the trail. Any thoughts?

QHShowoman
03-14-2007, 11:21
I've been on Seasonale for well over a year now, and I have no complaints. At first, I experienced very minor spotting during the time when I'd usually get my period, but it was so minor that I'd just wear a pantyliner for that day or two. My adjustment to Seasonale was fairly easy, as I've been taking oral contraceptives for almost 10 years now for health reasons. I often used to manipulate my period while on "regular" birth control, which made it easy for me to vacation, hike, etc., period-free.

When my current supply of Seasonale runs out, I will be switching to Seasonique, which is new from the makers of Seasonale. Instead of a week of placebos, Seasonique has a week of very low dosage estrogen which is supposed to reduce some of the side affects of going off the pill for that week. We shall see how well it works ...

For those of you looking to "hoard" a supply of pills in preparation for your thru, try asking your ob/gyn practitioner for a sample pack or two. When I started on Seasonale, I was given a free sample pack, and I put in my prescription right away, so at any given time, I always have an extra 3 months at the ready. Same thing happened when I switched to Seasonique -- so now I have 6 months of pills on hand, in addition to the current pack I am using (I am only one month in).

Another option might be to visit your local Planned Parenthood health center. When I was a PP patient, I was able to purchase up to 3 months of pills at a time, at a reduced rate contingent on my salary. You'd have to plan ahead though, because if you are a new PP patient, some health centers require that you come back after the first month for a health check up before they give you your remaining prescription. The good thing about PP is that you don't have to declare that you have health insurance and they won't do any sort of background check to find out (because many women turn to PP because of religious or moral conflicts that would prevent them from going to their regular physician). If you feel a little guilty about your omission, you can send in a donation to your local PP, since they are primarily privately funded in most states.

Amy Drew
03-30-2007, 12:45
I thru hiked in 2006 - had my "monthly visitor" 7 times. I used o.b. tampons because there is no applicator and they are easy to pack out. I took tinfoil and a ziploc bag to pack out. After the first one (Started the day I left springer) the rest were not really a big deal. I am not a fan of pills, drugs in my system, etc. bacause I still may have kids.

Smile
03-30-2007, 13:00
Ouch, all those drugs are so unnatural!

Wonder what ailments will be found out in the years to come from this stuff, and trying to "minimize" periods, they are a fact of life :)

Kind of like breast size - can you image having implants and having to carry that extra 'weight' for 2000+ miles! I would think that most fem hikers don't have them since they are so unnatural, and would get squished even more under pack straps.

Hiking IMHO puts a lot of stress on the body, and it adapts just fine. Many reports of women who actually have their periods naturally stop after a month or two, anybody have this experience?

To each their own!

flyingduckmonster
03-30-2007, 13:24
So after discussing the options with my gynecologist - she suggested the Mirena IUD because it's covered by my insurance, it lasts 5 years, you get your period for the first 2-3 months, and then your period stops. I emphasized my main priority was to NOT get my period. So I went for it. However, on the website, it says only 20% if women cease menstruating. Does anyone have experience with this?
-

For a lot of women, menstruation decreases without really going away. I know some people who menstruate less often and also, when they do menstruate, it's lighter--maybe spotting for 7 days, instead of truly menstruating for 4-5.

Sadly, the PMS symptoms don't go away (at least for some people).

Smile
03-30-2007, 14:45
WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN THEY WON"T GO AWAY?????!!!!

Just kidding ;)

Swass
05-01-2007, 15:04
Just a quick thought in response to the comment about minimizing periods... I'm normally all for doing things the natural way, but I once heard someone orally calculate the amount of times modern women cycle versus women even a hundred years ago. Factor in:

1. That women live longer now, and menstruate into their 40s in some cases.
2. That for whatever scary reason, girls are now starting at 9-10 rather than 12-14 when I was a kid.
3. That even with our longer reproductive years, we hare having waaay fewer babies than our great great grandmother...

Together, that means we are having a lot more periods than the generations before us, and the results, whether good or bad or nil, are not understood. So I don't mind suppressing a few periods, really.

LivAndLetLive
05-06-2007, 16:14
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which product is better, the Keeper or the DivaCup?

Mammoth
05-06-2007, 17:46
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which product is better, the Keeper or the DivaCup?

I think they are basically identical. However, if you have any latex/rubber sensitivities then the DivaCup would be a better idea. I've only used the DC, and it's worked fine for me. It seems to me that either product works really well for half the users, and the other half hates them. I would just say they are worth a try, but not a miracle solution.

This is a link to a discussion about this topic on livejournal: http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/33356.html

earthbound
06-23-2007, 22:59
If you use one of these cups how do you keep it clean while backpacking?

Mammoth
06-29-2007, 00:20

I use handi-wipes for the cup, or a little water and Dr. Bronners when I have spare time. I think that some women bring with two cups, so that they can quickly change them, and clean them better later in the day.

theinfamousj
07-23-2007, 19:23

I've been lurking for a long time and finally made an account specifically to reply to this thread. Yay!

I've had a Diva for close to a year-and-a-half now. I got it for backpacking, but it has replaced all else even in my home life. It took me four months to work out my optimal at-home cleaning system which is to do it in the bath tub while on the toilet (my toilet is next to the bath tub) as I can reach and don't have to leave my seat.

But just this past weekend, I figured out my optimal trail cleaning system. This uses toilet paper. De-germ hands. Remove and dump cup into cathole. Pour water in to cup. Let sit ~ 30 seconds. Dump. Stuff toilet paper into cup to soak up remaining water. Remove. One last rinse to get rid of toilet paper lint (if there is any). Replace in body.

I'd always had trouble with the more (pardon my graphic language) gummy stuff coming out, but the rinse with the water before the TP softens it up enough that the TP takes it right out. This even works for cleaning out the durned holes.

I was so thrilled to discover it, that I just had to share. Use it if you can!

Starsongs
08-06-2007, 10:16
I have always had an irregular menstrual cycle, I don't even get PMS. I was wondering what hiking the A.T. will do to my already irratic cycle. Do the resupply towns carry pads? I'm old schooled, and don't like the idea of putting anything inside.

Starsongs

Lilred
08-07-2007, 10:30
STarsongs, you shouldn't have any problem finding pads on the trail. Even most convenient stores carry them, although higher priced. Another option is to use a bounce box and/or maildrops. I use pads as well and since they really don't weigh that much, I just keep a week's worth in the bottom of my pack.

Pennsylvania Rose
09-07-2007, 09:48
Thought I'd chime in...This month I used the Diva for the first time. I love it! Easy in and out. Easy to clean. No leaks, even on my really heavy days since I emptied it every 3 hours or so. That's less often than I had to change a pad or tampon. I even practiced on a day hike and had no problems. I dumped in a cathole and wiped it out. I always have diaper wipes and only needed one to clean my hands before and after, and wipe the cup. I am a convert!

wakapak
09-08-2007, 10:24
just curious....anyone use The Keeper and Diva? wondering if one is better/easier/more comfortable than the other. I had tried The Keeper quite awhile back, but for some reason found it a little uncomfortable. I would love to stop using tampons though, for many reasons...

Swass
09-09-2007, 11:27
Wakapak, I've only used the Diva so I can't offer advice on both. I do like the Diva, though. I thought maybe the silicon would be longer lasting than the rubber (the Keeper) and that's why I went with the Diva. But I think they are essentially the same.

Pennsylvania Rose, I'm impressed! It took me several months to figure out the Diva, lots of "accidents". To this day, I still try to wear a pantyliner with the Diva, just in case.

Obsidian
09-09-2007, 12:53
I love my diva although I always thought it would be fickle to deal with on the trail I don't even like to wear it on cross country amtrak trips...

Also be careful the tabby thign I use to use to remove it eventually fell off (it was how I removed it) and I had a very interesting conversation with customer service that morning...interesting as in hilarious as the lady was telling me I had to birth it out of my va jay jay...

but i bought a new one and I'm still a loyal fan..and now know a little more into the world of birthing and pushing

-SEEKER-
09-09-2007, 17:02
If anyone is considering this procedure and needs more encouragement. ABLATION ALL THE WAY!!!! Best thing medically I have ever done. Felt a little sluggish for one day after. It's been a year and a half now no period!

Cindy from Indy
09-10-2007, 12:05
I talked to my doc about this subject and he suggested I have this quarterly injection. I can't recall right now the name of the medication, but basically you have the injection every 3 months and no period. My research on it indicated that you might have break through bleeding during the first 3 months, as your body gets used to it, but after that, nothing, until you stop having the shots. I am planning on trying this out ASAP and I will get back to you on how it works out for me. I am thru hiking NoBo, beginning in April, so, I'll have one shot Oct 1st, one shot before I leave and then one shot on the trail. I'll just call ahead and have it waiting for me at a local pharmacy in one of the local towns along the way.

Sly
09-10-2007, 12:20
I talked to my doc about this subject and he suggested I have this quarterly injection. I can't recall right now the name of the medication, but basically you have the injection every 3 months and no period.

Depo Provera. ;)

peanuts
09-10-2007, 12:44
sly, you bit me to it

-SEEKER-
09-10-2007, 14:18
Be careful as those shots can cause bone loss.

Cindy from Indy
09-10-2007, 14:18
Thanks and I will definitely let you know how it goes....:)

Cindy from Indy
09-10-2007, 14:24
Well, I was thinking of only doing the shots for a year. Basically, the year of my hike. I honestly don't like messing around with my body's natural rhythms too much, but this is one rhythm I would like to not have while I'm hiking!! :D

Meadow Creek
09-10-2007, 14:38
Conversely, I've seen many women whose bodies responded to Depo by bleeding nonstop for months at a time--some it was just constant spotting, others were at risk for anemia with the amount of blood loss they endured. And once it's on board, there's no way to reverse it should you be one of those unfortunate women who react badly. Personally, it's not a drug I'd ever use, under any circumstance. If it looks like the option you prefer, though, at least take it for a test run for 3-6 months before hitting the trail.

flyingduckmonster
09-14-2007, 10:29
Well, I was thinking of only doing the shots for a year. Basically, the year of my hike. I honestly don't like messing around with my body's natural rhythms too much, but this is one rhythm I would like to not have while I'm hiking!! :D

I don't want to discourage you, but do read up some more on the side effects before you make this decision, OK? (Or perhaps you already have, but there might be someone else on this list who hasn't, so I'll say it anyway.) It messes with your hormones hardcore, and once you get the injection, you're stuck with the side effects for the next three or four months. It makes some people depressed. It makes some people gain weight. It makes some people physically uncomfortable. And it makes everyone lose bone density. Pretty much all the side effects of the various Pill options are possible, only there's no way to make them go away until the shot wears off.

gypsy
09-15-2007, 13:31
Depo Provera. ;)
Those shots are scary.:eek:

Sly
09-15-2007, 14:45
Those shots are scary.:eek:

I wouldn't know! ;)

modiyooch
09-17-2007, 15:56

I am a huge fan & will never go back to disposable products.My question is why these products are not on the shelves in the local drug stores? If this has already been asked and answered, sorry, it's a long thread.

Marta
09-17-2007, 18:41
If anyone is considering this procedure and needs more encouragement. ABLATION ALL THE WAY!!!! Best thing medically I have ever done. Felt a little sluggish for one day after. It's been a year and a half now no period!

Ditto. If you're done with childbearing, this is waaayyy better than drugs.

Marta/Five-Leaf

mindi
09-19-2007, 09:40
I was on Depo for about 4 years when I was in college. No periods or spotting, it was great! Unfortunately, it made me gain weight so I switched to the Pill.

Just this past year I told my new gyn that I was on Depo years ago and she asked me if I ever had a bone density test. Apparently it can cause bone loss.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but maybe talk to your Dr. about it.

sweetpeastu
09-20-2007, 10:54
There is a type of bcp that is designed to work like that called Seasonale. Personally the stuff was great for me at first....then later it was horrible. My hair changed, got thinner, I gained 15 pounds from the medicine alone, which pissed me off, and my emotional state started to resemble a rollercoaster. It was great for managing pain...and it might work for you too. I just wouldn't stay on it too long. Also, after about a year of being on it, I started with the break through bleeding. It's not fun having your period for like a month on end.

My honest opinion is to leave it alone. I think its healthier.

Good luck to you.

Mad Hatter 08
10-25-2007, 16:38
My question is why these products are not on the shelves in the local drug stores? If this has already been asked and answered, sorry, it's a long thread.

I actually saw a box of the cups i don't remember which brand over by the tampons when i last went to resupply

cachica
10-30-2007, 17:30
i've been using the Keeper (www.keeper.com) and have all the same accollades. If you're particularly eco-conscious, i'd recommend not using the pill just because trace amounts of the hormones come out in urine (which admittedly is probably a bigger deal if you're living in a city). I also found my period to be lighter and less frequent on the trail. If you go for a cup, bury the waste... resist the temptation to rinse it in a river (i know I probably didn't have to say that, but...).

Tin Man
11-08-2007, 19:46
When googling for a totally different topic, I came across this article that may prove helpful...

Gender Differences Among Long-Distance Backpackers: A Prospective Study of Women Appalachian Trail Backpackers

David R. Boulware, MD

From the Department of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN

http://www.wemjournal.org/images/indent.gifObjective.—Backpacking is a popular recreational activity, yet the differential experiences of women are unknown. The objective was to compare women with men backpackers to determine the extent to which injuries and illnesses limit endurance outdoor recreational activities. http://www.wemjournal.org/images/indent.gifMethods.—This was a prospective cohort surveillance survey of 334 persons who hiked the Appalachian Trail for http://www.wemjournal.org/charent/ISO_CHARACTERS_MIXED/LOWERCASE/ge.gif7 days. At the end of their hike, 280 subjects completed a questionnaire. Male hikers served as controls for injury and illness.
http://www.wemjournal.org/images/indent.gifResults.—Women comprised 26% (72 of 280) of the sample. The mean (± SD) duration of hiking was 144 ± 66 days covering 1570 ± 680 miles. Fifty-seven percent (41 of 72) of women and 72% (150 of 208) of men attained their goal (P = .02). The occurrence of individual musculoskeletal problems, such as strains, sprains, arthralgias, tendonitis, and fractures, were similar (P = .9) between sexes. The occurrence of diarrhea (56%) was also similar (relative risk [RR] 1.0; P = .9) between sexes. Of regularly menstruating women, 87% (43 of 49) had menstrual changes while hiking, such as change in frequency (45%) or character (43%) (RR 3.1; 95% CI, 2.0–4.8; P < .001). Shortened duration of menses was most common (41%). Amenorrhea occurred in 22% (11 of 49) of women, including 5 of 25 taking oral contraceptive pills (OCPs). Breakthrough, midcycle bleeding occurred in 20% (10 of 49) of women.
http://www.wemjournal.org/images/indent.gifConclusions.—Women had similar experiences as compared with men when backpacking. Menstrual changes were very common including amenorrhea. Prolonged amenorrhea raises concern for potential bone mineral density loss, and OCPs should be considered to prevent such loss.

Key Words: women's health, backpacking, women, injury, camping, amenorrhea, estrogen

http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/?request=get-abstract&issn=1080-6032&volume=015&issue=03&page=0175

Maple
11-19-2007, 19:57
I have no medical insurance and will just go with the old fashioned method of tampons. Have any of you used this method? How did you manage?

Gaiter
11-19-2007, 21:04
ultimate trail magic/help: during this past section i just finished, my time of the month came 5 days early (combo of messed up genetics and hiking) didn't have any tampons w/ me since i thought i would be in a town before it started, it was a saturday, so there were two weekend hikers staying in the shelter w/ me, both men, i had bummed as much toliet paper as possible from them and other nearby weekend hikers, but it still wouldn't be enough to get me to town, so i had to ask... i knew they would be going back to the road that i would be crossing that day to pick up their car, so i asked two male strangers to pick me up a box of tampons if they could. i figured worst case scenario i would have to hitch but there wasn't really a town near that road. later, after dark a female thru-hiker showed up, but she had only one tampon and a bunch of light days. which got me through the night and till i got to the road where the guys had left me a box of tampons and two mtn dews for me and the thru-hiker. THE BEST TRAIL MAGIC EVER i had never been sooo excited to see a box of tampons!!!

Cindy from Indy
12-20-2007, 14:49
Thanks and I will definitely let you know how it goes....:)

Okay, I am 3 mos. post 1st injection. Things seemed to be going along fine, but then I experienced major spotting for a 6wk time period. That sucked!! The doctor said that that was a normal occurence and that it was just my body adapting to the medication.

So, I go in tomorrow for my 2nd injection. We shall see if I have any further 'spotting' problems.

I will keep all interested parties informed! :-?

tazie
12-20-2007, 15:25
I have no medical insurance and will just go with the old fashioned method of tampons. Have any of you used this method? How did you manage?

Yes. Works for me. The only aggravation is toting them around & packing your trash; still, I'll opt for being outdoors and hiking, regardless the time of month. My only fear is the scent and being in bear country...I've heard this could be a concern? Anyway, the tips and advice are good here, thanks gals.

Roots
12-21-2007, 12:33
OK Ladies! I took the plunge. I finally bought the Diva Cup to try out. I figure I can get 3 good tries in before my trip. Any advice???:)

BipolarStroller
02-08-2008, 14:36
I just wanted to say thank you for the information on the Diva Cup, well worth the $30. I found them at an organic co-op. I was a little mmmm awkward at first, but I guess there nothing wrong with getting to know yourself a little better. All of the personal experience posts were most helpful and let me know what to expect, thanks for the twist dance advice. My hiking/life partner has been an awesome mentor, but there are things that guys dont know, especially when it comes to a womans body, haha. This is just one of the topics that the ladies of WB have enlightened my on, but this indeed revolutionized that time of the month for me, not only for hiking but for swimming and overall confidence! Thank you so much!

Farr Away
02-08-2008, 14:55
I was on Depo for about 4 years when I was in college. No periods or spotting, it was great! Unfortunately, it made me gain weight so I switched to the Pill.

Just this past year I told my new gyn that I was on Depo years ago and she asked me if I ever had a bone density test. Apparently it can cause bone loss.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but maybe talk to your Dr. about it.

I had been on depo (twice) for quite a while when I heard about the bone loss issue. Since I have a number of factors that put me at higher risk for osteoporosis, I went off it immediately, spent a while trying to make some other form of birth control work for me, and finally ended up telling my doctor that I really liked the depo and how likely was it to cause bone loss? He sent me for a bone density test; it came back in normal limits, so I'm back on depo. Obviously, we'll continue to monitor the situation.

quasarr
02-13-2008, 01:20
I haven't read the whole thread, sorry if this has been mentioned.

Last year I realized you can buy pads that come with a wet wipe attached to each one in the pack! Normally I would consider that excessive, but when you're four days from a shower it's very nice. Downside is it's a lot of trash.

You can also buy the just the wipes, I believe they're Always brand. I recommend them for sure. Even using tampons or diva cup you can sometimes have a mess, and you can't use alcohol wipes in that area!!! :eek:

Peanut
02-14-2008, 23:39
I have had my diva cup for 5ish months and love it (except I, too, have slight messes every once in a while from it not popping open...but I'm figuring it out)...The guide that comes with it talks about it needing to keep the small holes clean, but I'm having a hard time doing that...any suggestions?? Thanks!

Pennsylvania Rose
02-15-2008, 09:58
The guide that comes with it talks about it needing to keep the small holes clean, but I'm having a hard time doing that...any suggestions?? Thanks!

When the holes won't come clean immediately, I run it under really hot water for an extra minute or so, folding the cup so that each hole gets a turn being stretched out under the stream of water. Don't know if that's clear...

I read somewhere NOT to put a pin or needle through the holes...it will stretch them out and cause more problems...but I did use a really tiny needle once, with no adverse effects.

Haven't had to deal with clogged holes while hiking. I imagine I'd boil some water and let the cup soak for a couple of minutes, then scrub with soap really well.

Erin
02-15-2008, 23:27
I have always gotten my monthly bill on my hikes. It was a minor hassle and mine were very heavy, but I was not going to change my life style or plans because of them. I have heard the ablation is wonderful and went in to get one and ended up needing a total hysterectomy. Needed it years ago apparently. Hiking helped recovery big time.
I would be hesitant to take birth control for weeks or months at a time with no break. I think that could screw up your system, but also your blood pressure.
Whether you use a cup or the traditional route, it is no big deal once you get your system down. The important thing is to not let it change your hike.

Erin
02-15-2008, 23:57
Sorry, just read Maple's post. For the tampon route, count up the number you use daily and nightly. When you do that, is isn't that much, even if you go big. And a few extra.Seal in daily zip locks inside another big ziplock. Put your daily ones in a non see thru waterproof stuff sack (nasty bag) for easy access and put in easy reach. I hung my no see thru on the back of my pack which I called the nasty bag. Take one zip lock empty to put the leftovers in, keep them in the nasty bag and dump in town. In the nasty bag, keep a small roll of TP and hand sanitizer and maybe a package of wet wipes. If you have accidents, use your camp soap to wash out your clothes in a baggie. The wicking panties dry out quickly. For the first couple of heavy days and nights also wear a panty liner or a pad. Some places on the trail are high traffic and it may take a few minutes to find a place to do your business. Grab your nasty bag off your pack and find cover. Nobody can see thru it so you don't gross yourself or anyone else out. Carry out everything, including TP, in a zip lock concealed in the non-see thru nasty bag. Even if you weigh this, it is minimal.

Cindy from Indy
02-20-2008, 10:02
Okay, I am 3 mos. post 1st injection. Things seemed to be going along fine, but then I experienced major spotting for a 6wk time period. That sucked!! The doctor said that that was a normal occurence and that it was just my body adapting to the medication.

So, I go in tomorrow for my 2nd injection. We shall see if I have any further 'spotting' problems.

I will keep all interested parties informed! :-?

Well, I am 2months post 2nd injection. I have been heavily spotting for the last month. :mad:

This sucks!!! I would rather have a 5-7 day period and get it over with than have spotting/discharge for 6wks!! Geez...........:mad:

I am pretty upset by this. I really DID NOT want to have to experience my monthly visitor during this hike. I'm a whiney, crying bitch for 2 days. I cramp up, my back hurts and I feel like crap for about 4 days.

So, I will need to decide my next course of action regarding this. My plan is to re-read this thread and look at ALL the options available. I may just have to plan my -0- days around my period.

You know, sometimes it's hell being a woman.........sigh........:o

Roots
02-20-2008, 10:18
I feel your pain. I hated those shots. Did absolutely nothing for me except cause me to have my period constantly and gain weight that I had worked so hard to lose beforehand. That was years ago and I have to admit the shots are what made give up on all of it and just deal with my pain of a period.

I think if I were to try and find an option to not having one while on the trail it would be to take the 'non-stop pill' method, IMO. It has not been shown to not have negative effects on your body, other than the usual pill side effects some women experience. I guess I will just deal with it every month.

Good luck to you and don't worry, you're not alone in your 'pain'.:)

Cindy from Indy
02-20-2008, 10:43
an option to not having one while on the trail it would be to take the 'non-stop pill' method, IMO.:)

I had thought about this. And I am sure my Dr wouldn't have a problem with this option. But again, that's another thing to worry about. "Did I take my pill this morning?", "Can I get into town before the pharmacy closes so I can fill a Rx", and so on......

I think I'll just take the hand Mother Nature has dealt me and "deal" with it.

Thanks for your kind words. I am obviously not the only woman with this issue and countless women have overcome this and made it to Katahdin anyway!!!

BugGirl
02-20-2008, 10:57
My doctor switched me over to the nuvaring for the trip. No pills, and just have my maildrop person mail me the new one when the times. She also recommended going 2-3 cycles back to back if I'm worried about having my period over the trip. I've been on this sucker for going on 4 months and I LOVE not having to think about where my pills are or if I took them....Been on the pill for 10 years previous, and wouldn't return. =)

Cindy from Indy
02-20-2008, 11:07
My doctor switched me over to the nuvaring for the trip. No pills, and just have my maildrop person mail me the new one when the times. She also recommended going 2-3 cycles back to back if I'm worried about having my period over the trip. I've been on this sucker for going on 4 months and I LOVE not having to think about where my pills are or if I took them....Been on the pill for 10 years previous, and wouldn't return. =)

Is that something that a Dr has to insert?? I feel like I'm running out of time to try some new-fangled device. I leave for my thru in 61 days:D!!!

arasjane
02-25-2008, 12:46
I was actually going to suggest to use tp. it's biodegradable,
I have never used any-kind of Birth control & never would. For me it not right to mess with mother nature that way. & like some ladies said It is so much lighter when your active.

BugGirl
02-25-2008, 16:04
The nuvaring is self-inserted. Pop it in for 3 weeks, out for a week, get period. My doc says I could do a 2 back to back and then go off for a week. =)

tx.katie.finch
04-02-2008, 21:12
Like some, I don't (can't) take any form of birth control and am therefore stuck dealing with mother nature. I've found the divacup is great! It takes a few months getting used to, but its much cleaner and easier than other meathods. Plus there's no risk of TSS, so if you're late on a clean out, there's no emergency; you have time to find privacy.

desdemona
04-02-2008, 23:39
Thanks gals, reading all this made me happy I'm 60!! :sun

--des

shiverz
05-03-2008, 12:03
heay ladies. i have been hiking for about 1 year with my boyfriend. we do mainly day trips but did a 3 day overnight in the white mountains which was amazing!

gotta silly question i can't ask him cause, well, how would he know lady stuff.

i'm scared of the thought of encountering bears and bears have strong sense of smell.

what do we ladies do when we have our periods? i want to avoid overnighters with my period. i'd feel uncomfortable and dirty and would hate to think i have the scent of blood on me.

but i would hate avoiding a great trip cause of my monthly.
i would be clean as possible but sometimes the flow is really heavy!

what do you suggest? how to dispose of maxi pads? i'd hate to bury them and it's not like there's a smell proof garbage can around!
do you bath in a river? i know it already has river life in there but would hate to bath in it and add stuff to it.

these may sound like silly questions but they are ones that aren't easily found in a backpacker magazine! and are questions that women face when out in the woods!

thanks...

Blissful
05-03-2008, 13:18
I did the AT last year and hiked with my period. If you read through this thread, there are different ideas on what to do during your monthly. I used tampons myself and had no problems except when my cycle altered (which it did quite a bit) and had to send my son hitching once to get me tampons. :) I also took a few baby wipes to help feel cleaner. Bathing in a stream with your period is not a good thing to do to the water sources. But tampons or the diva cup or using something internal is the way to go.
BTW - pack out garbage. Double bag in ziplocs and dump in the trash when it's available. As far as animals and scent, I had no problems with that. Honestly, animals were fairly scarce on the AT - at least for me. And only saw one bear the entire hike - in PA. And he was too busy looking for berries. But bugs might love you more. Just use DEET.

A period is just part of nature. Don't let it hold you back from enjoying the outdoors.

vts084
07-13-2008, 17:23
Hi guys. I think this is my first post, long time lurker. Anyway, we (me and boyfriend) thru hiked the JMT last August and although it was only a month I decided to try the Diva Cup. It works great! I been using it ever since, hiking or not (although I tend to stop my period then spot lightly for a day or two after and have been using panty liners for this). As for getting it fully open inside, I never had a problem, just make sure you rotate is 360 degrees once inside. There is some clots inside the cup when you remove it, but its still way cleaner than a pad.

I am planning on thru hiking the AT in March 09 with my boyfriend. I been taking the pill for 15 years (started at age 13 for heavy and long, up to 14 day, periods and never stopped). I want to stop the pill to give my body a 6 month breather during the trail, not too worried about pregnancy, not enough energy and too dirty for sex out on the trail and if it comes up can use condoms in town. Has anyone stopped the pill after taking it for a long time (10+ years)? How did your body react?

Lucinda
07-14-2008, 06:43
I've gone on "breaks" before and, as of a few months ago, stopped using it completely. I don't notice any difference. Periods just come like they normally do, maybe even a bit lighter, but that might be because I'm getting older :)

I think it's good to take breaks once in a while.

My periods got much lighter when my body fat was lower and I weighed around 110 lbs a couple of years ago.

I've been one of the fortunate ones who's never had heavy, painful periods. They've never really bothered me that much.

I love the Keeper and have been using it for years.

As for animals smelling blood during your period, I think they couldn't care less. I think it's been proven that it doesn't attract animals, so no need to worry. I mean, how many animal attacks have you heard of out in wild, due to a woman having her period??

peanuts
07-15-2008, 20:58
my experience has been the opposite. when i got off the pill, my periods became heavier and longer:mad: then i went on depo, it all went away. had to stop the depo now its even worse than any other time:mad::mad::mad: can't wait for full menopause.....

HockeyGirl
08-27-2008, 08:47
Newbie here. Have just spotted this thread and it has put to rest one of my main fears of trying a thru hike. Am now thinking about trying the Diva out, so thanks for all the comments!
For the person coming off the pill after a long time, I came off after 7 years of continually taking it and found my periods slightly heavier, but my moods became much better! I was a happier person all round, not sure if the pill was making me down or not?

TunnelvisionGAME09
10-01-2008, 13:06
I got a Divacup a couple of months ago and I love it! It is so much more convenient not needing to worry about timing issues. I can empty the cup in the morning and then towards the end of a day and not need to worry in between. When hiking my period is much lighter and the cup doesn't dry me out on light days like tampons! I recommend it as a good hiking solution!

statler
10-01-2008, 15:12
Heh, I remember this being discussed before there was a women's forum on WB. Same problems still today!

I can't use the pill or hormones for med reasons. I do use the Diva in normal life and on short hiking trips (less than a week)....but for my thru-hike it just didn't work at all!

Keeping the cup clean was just too much of a headache. Extra fuel, and the waste was going somewhere (in a water source or near a shelter) no matter how you dilute it! After a few months on the trail, no matter how well I cleaned it, *I* never felt clean enough to put it back in. The longer I was on the trail, the easier and shorter my period became anyway.

Anyway, I switched to disposable tampons, packing them out in a ziplock, which was in turn placed in the Ursack liner bag I kept all my trash in. Usually I hit a garbage can (or someone headed near one) every couple days, so pack-out was never an issue. Not sure I would want to have to pack out pads though. :-?

When I did my thru, the "conventional wisdom" was to use the Diva...but every female thru-hiker I met dropped it after a couple months.

fraufrack
10-15-2008, 03:33
I've been using DivaCup for 1/2 a year and it has changed my life! I spend more time training for & competing in endurance races & triathlons than I do hiking; DivaCup gives me a lot more confidence & comfort in those activities than I had before.

I've only had to use it on one of my hiking trips so far. I wasn't supposed to start until after the trip, but packed it to be safe and boy was that a blessing. I cleaned it w/ Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap, which is what I clean it with when I'm not hiking, also. The little holes can be a little tricky to clean, but it still definitely beats tampons, IMO.

I was on the pill for ~5 yrs and went off 1 yr ago because I needed to rely on it for actual birth control & couldn't take it at the same time each day. We (husband & I) ended up using backup anyway. Condoms are cheap & who was I trying to impress with clear skin now that I was married? So, my acne & cramps returned, but all else was mostly the same as when I had been on the pill. To me it was worth it; I'd rather have and extra $20-something each month and take a couple ibuprofens. Now I can rationalize buying some spiffy gear :)

ymmv.

fraufrack
10-15-2008, 03:34
I've been using DivaCup for 1/2 a year and it has changed my life! I spend more time training for & competing in endurance races & triathlons than I do hiking; DivaCup gives me a lot more confidence & comfort in those activities than I had before.

I've only had to use it on one of my hiking trips so far. I wasn't supposed to start until after the trip, but packed it to be safe and boy was that a blessing. I cleaned it w/ Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap, which is what I clean it with when I'm not hiking, also. The little holes can be a little tricky to clean, but it still definitely beats tampons, IMO.

I was on the pill for ~5 yrs and went off 1 yr ago because I needed to rely on it for actual birth control & couldn't take it at the same time each day. We (husband & I) ended up using backup anyway. Condoms are cheap & who was I trying to impress with clear skin now that I was married? So, my acne & cramps returned, but all else was mostly the same as when I had been on the pill. To me it was worth it; I'd rather have an extra $20-something each month and take a couple ibuprofens. Now I can rationalize buying some spiffy gear :)

ymmv.

fraufrack
10-15-2008, 03:34
oops. sorry y'all.

desert spirit
11-12-2008, 15:36
So much wonderful information. Thank you all so much for taking the time to share and pass on your experiences :)

Penne
11-12-2008, 22:52
I want to recomend the website http://mon.thly.info It trakes your monthly for you. Personally it took me by surprise every month. I've been using the website for 3 months (sept-nov) and this was the first month it was correct, but I think now that it has some dates to work from it will be correct more often. I don't know how helpful it will be on a thru hike because your body changes so much, but I'm going to give it a try.

lizzieGAME09
12-05-2008, 12:24
Have any of you heard anything about or use Norplant (http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-norplant)? It's bc that's inserted into the under part of your arm and lasts for three years. My doctor suggested it as an option for bc when I explained that getting the pill refilled on the trail would be very difficult. She said her patients love it. I have extreme pmdd systems - exhaustion, mood swings, etc - that would be a killer on my thru without some help. The shot doesn't seem like a good option for me. What do you think about Norplant?

BarleyRain
12-09-2008, 02:44
My understanding is that Norplant is not currently available in the U.S. Many women I've talked to rave about the Diva cup. Depending on your future plans, the Mirena IUD is an option to consider. It is inserted into the uterus and releases hormones that not only prevent pregnancy (for 5 years) but also result in lighter or no periods for most women. Usually menstrual cramping is also lessened.

windex
01-24-2009, 22:52
Seasonalle is the way to go... you just have to take a pill everyday and put the next month's in your bounce box.
I haven't had to deal with periods in the backcountry since I went on it. Great product... and didn't affect me as much as the other BC pills I had.

Gypsy Heart
01-28-2009, 21:29
I've had a Diva cup for 3-4 months (maybe a little longer), and I really like it! I haven't had the chance to use it on a hike yet, but I think it's going to work very well.
Here's (http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups) a forum I went to before buying mine. They have LOADS of info on menstrual cups.

llano
01-28-2009, 21:38
I've been wondering, too. My period gets REALLY heavy (changing a pad every hour, can't use tampons because of leakage) for about two days. Anyone with the same situation use the Diva Cup or Keeper?

I have been using the Diva Cup for about 8 yrs now and love it. I also have about two days of heavy flow, I do use a light pad along with the cup in case of leakage (this happens when my flow is really heavy), and have to empty the cup more often. Overall I have found it much more convient than tampons and more comfortable than pads. I really love it for backpacking because I don't have to worry about carrying a lot of supplies, or packing out used tampons.

Free Spirit
02-20-2009, 14:27
I've been using mine for 4 months now. I'm still having one issue though. The part of the insertion process where it is supposed to "pop open" is not happening automatically like the directions say it should. I've had a few instances where I thought it had, and it didn't, and then guess what...surprise mess later in the day. This is my only issue w/it, otherwise I love it, but am at a loss as to what to do about this. Anyone else deal w/this and if not, any suggestions as to what might be happening? I follow the directions as closely as I think anyone could. I really want to gain confidence in this thing, because I think it is totally the way to go on a hike, but I can't be stressing about it functioning properly either. Thanks ladies!
Ok,

so I'm a Diva user too, and I would never ever go back to disposable products.

Here's my method on how you know if the Diva cup has popped out:
Once the diva cup is inserted, take hold of the tab and the cup around the tab and twist. If your diva cup will not twist in a full circle, then it isn't popped out. I just keep wiggling or twisting it till it pops out. Most of the time it is fine though, but this is the way that I know that it is perfectly positioned.

bonnie
02-22-2009, 19:03
i have to echo the sentiments of the diva cup crowd--i have been a repeat visitor to this thread, but was considering the tampon-in-a-bag route, because i was unsure about the cup, cleanliness, etc. anyway, i purchased mine as an impulse buy at a gear store after the salesperson said they couldn't keep them on the shelves. i read the livejournal posts, researched different folding techniques, and am a total convert. interesting to see how it goes on-trail.

Mrs Baggins
04-20-2009, 07:20
I'm 53 with zero menopause symptoms so things are still going along as though I'm in my 20's :mad: I've always planned trips and hikes around it because of a very heavy flow. But a 3 day trip was planned for this past weekend and it was too late to call it off when I realized the timing. So I figured I'd deal with it and go. I won't do it again. Besides having to carry all of the extra stuff (pads and tampons and a bag to dispose of them), my mind was constantly on whether or not I needed to get off the trail to change, the awful feeling of knowing when I had waited a few minutes too long, the pain and irritation of tampons, the bunching up and irritation of pads (and I'm allergic to adhesives, so when they bunched and the sticky part was against my skin too long I got a very itchy rash), having to get up more often at night, and more. When we planned a thru-hike in 2007 I took the Pill on a continuous basis to put a stop to it while hiking. When the hike didn't work out after just a couple of weeks and we hit the road for 3 months of travel I had enough to get through the whole trip and more with glorious freedom.

trixie
06-08-2009, 22:38
I've had a Diva cup for 3-4 months (maybe a little longer), and I really like it! I haven't had the chance to use it on a hike yet, but I think it's going to work very well.
Here's (http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups) a forum I went to before buying mine. They have LOADS of info on menstrual cups.

Thanks so much for the link to the forum! After using my Diva cup for the past 6 months or so, I went on my first longer hike - 11 miles - and was distraught when it randomly started leaking (and not overflowing). Haven't had that problem since I figured out how to make sure it had popped open. They have a great chart and lots of information on that forum and hopefully I'll find a solution to this or a different product that fits better. Thanks!

Chelly
09-10-2010, 16:59
I've been doing a little research on the DivaCup and there's one question that I still have. What happens with the actual liquid? If it gets absorbed, where does it go? Is it like a sponge in a cup?

LaurieAnn
09-19-2010, 14:22
Chelly... it's merely a cup. Then you dump the liquid. I personally love the Diva Cup. I didn't realize how much until I had my baby and had to use pads for awhile. Pads just leave me feeling gross and tampons tend to be no good for me as I have heavy periods. Not to mention that there is a risk of TSS with tampons because they are absorbent and you have to pack that grossness out.

Here is my review on the Diva Cup...

Are you a Diva? (http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/outdoorgirl-v2-1.htm)

fanlynne
02-22-2011, 05:55
Hiking IMHO puts a lot of stress on the body, and it adapts just fine. Many reports of women who actually have their periods naturally stop after a month or two, anybody have this experience?