PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Gear Check

wanderlust78
01-15-2016, 10:30
Hey Folks,

I'm heading out for my first "long" trip to do a thru hike of Shenandoah end of March to the beginning of April. I've been mainly a weekender to 3-4 day tripper up until this point, so I thought it best to get some more seasoned eyes to tear my pack apart. My goal is lightweight, but I'm not aiming for ultralight per se. Temps should be 60s to mid 30s.

A couple notes:

The starred items are not accurate weights as of yet as some items haven't been ordered yet or I just haven't weighed them out of laziness.
The First Aid Kit is all the normal stuff. Band-aids, second skin, Imodium, Vitamin I, anti-histamine, etc.
Yes, that's a kilt. Yes, I think it's heavy as crap. Possibly yes, I am crazy.:banana

I welcome all critiques and good idea fairies.

http://lighterpack.com/r/ea9xsm

Thanks!

Mr. Bumpy
01-15-2016, 11:02
Welcome to WB

I'd like to know if you made the chart or is this an existing template available for download, and if so where can I get it.

Mr. Bumpy
01-15-2016, 11:08
Duh...found it. Nevermind

wanderlust78
01-15-2016, 11:10
Welcome to WB

I'd like to know if you made the chart or is this an existing template available for download, and if so where can I get it.

Thanks for the welcome. That is the format I've used on my numbers (excel) spreadsheet. I just transferred that format to lighterpack because it's logical to me.

damskipi
01-15-2016, 20:43
Wanderlust78,

:welcome
Yeah, that kilt is a killer. The shoes seem heavy too. My planned "worn items" is currently 4.5 lbs less than you if I try to match your items. In fact, every clothing item I'm planning to bring plus poles and stuff sack is still 1.5 lbs less than your "worn" weight. I'm a petite woman (lighter clothing) and I've never actually done a backpacking trip (so far I've done day hikes only, my planned weight is for an upcoming trip) so take my comments for what they are worth, but if you want to cut weight I'd start with those two items.

Other than that:
- why do you need two alcohol bottles? And why would you want one that only holds 1 oz?
- I'm assuming the "Apple charging cord" includes the wall plug? If not, make sure you include that

Good luck!

Puddlefish
01-15-2016, 21:16
I realize it's a shorter hike, but a minimal repair kit, gloves/rain mitts, and soap might be nice to have along. I'm guessing the rain kilt doubles as a sit pad, since it looks like you plan on spending some time in camp cooking real food. That kilt is killing me, unless it's to impress the ladies, which would seemingly reduce your wife's peace of mind to counteract the Spot? I'm also a bit of a long haul newb, but have fun!

wanderlust78
01-15-2016, 22:12
Thanks for the helpful comments.

Yeah, that kilt is a killer. The shoes seem heavy too. ... if you want to cut weight I'd start with those two items.

Other than that:
- why do you need two alcohol bottles? And why would you want one that only holds 1 oz?
- I'm assuming the "Apple charging cord" includes the wall plug? If not, make sure you include that

Good luck!

The kilt is the huge killer. It's 3 pounds of pleated happiness. I have a feeling it's going to be saved for the day hikes. I'm on the fence, but leaning towards the saner option.

The shoes I honestly fat fingered numbers somewhere. I was only off by...oh..100 and something grams. :eek:

The 1 oz bottle is mainly for easier measuring to not waste alcohol in the fancee feast stove.

While it would surprise no one if I brought a cable and left the plug, that is the weight for both.

... a minimal repair kit, gloves/rain mitts, and soap might be nice to have along. I'm guessing the rain kilt doubles as a sit pad, since it looks like you plan on spending some time in camp cooking real food. That kilt is killing me, unless it's to impress the ladies, which would seemingly reduce your wife's peace of mind to counteract the Spot? I'm also a bit of a long haul newb, but have fun!

I had some dental floss and a needle in my first aid kit, but now that you mention it, I may add some tenacious tape as well. I was humming and hawing over bringing some wristies or rain mitts and they were honestly going to be a last minute addition based on weather. It's only a week and a half long so forecasting isn't that tough. I actually replaced the pad in my Ohm with a piece of reflectix to use as a sit pad and foot pad in the hammock. Most of my cooking s going to be re-hydrated meals except for the occasional biscuit. The baking pan and simmer ring are only 3 oz...but I know, ounces become pounds. I'm trying to hold them in there for now and see where things end up. They're an easy get rid of.

The kilt is more an idle fascination with the long hike. The wife actually loves them normally, but she too thinks I'm insane to go backpacking in one. I've worn them on shorter day hikes and enjoyed the freedom of movement and whatnot. Like I said, I'm very much on the fence still. After all, it is almost 4 pounds.

Keep the advice coming! This is what I need! And thank you.

damskipi
01-15-2016, 22:52
The kilt is the huge killer. It's 3 pounds of pleated happiness. I have a feeling it's going to be saved for the day hikes. I'm on the fence, but leaning towards the saner option....The kilt is more an idle fascination with the long hike. The wife actually loves them normally, but she too thinks I'm insane to go backpacking in one. I've worn them on shorter day hikes and enjoyed the freedom of movement and whatnot. Like I said, I'm very much on the fence still. After all, it is almost 4 pounds.

There are lightweight hiking kilts. If it's the freedom of movement you are looking for, I'd check those out. Not the cheapest, but at 12-15 oz it'll be huge weight savings. And it's about the same price as hiking pants. Or you could make some!

NJdreamer
01-15-2016, 23:07
I have one small suggestion that won't save as much weight but might save time. Put your heet in a clear bottle and mark it with 1 ounce lines. Use a totally different bottle type than your other ones, and possibly add tape or lots of marker to it to prevent an error. Leave the original heet bottle and the 1 ounce bottle at home. Have fun.

CoconutTree
01-16-2016, 18:01
You are taking the whole thru hikers companion?

Depending on how attached you are to carrying paper maps, you could just take a picture of them with your phone.

wanderlust78
01-17-2016, 10:57
You are taking the whole thru hikers companion?

Depending on how attached you are to carrying paper maps, you could just take a picture of them with your phone.

That was actually something I was thinking about. It's a lot of book considering I'm only concerned this trip with about 5% of it. I was thinking of just photo copying the pages I care about, but pdfing it on my phone is an even better idea. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk