PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Advice / Anyone else heading out between Feb. 20th and March 1st?

mossy.oak
01-15-2016, 12:31
I'm trying to get an early start on the trail to beat the masses, just wanting to see who else out there is doing the same. If you are, let me know!

Also, I am still aquiring some of my gear, and have a question about shoes... Originally I was planning on just going with high top traditional hiking boots, but they would take forever to dry out and the weight would put more stress on my back so I am opting for low tops or trail runners. Does anyone out there have advice on what type of shoes I should get for my thru - hike? Waterproof or no? Three pairs or just get one and buy more shoes when needed along the way?

I appreciate any advice!

bigcranky
01-15-2016, 13:35
I switched from heavy high top leather boots to trail runners a while ago (um, 2000 or 2001). In winter I wear Goretex trail runners, so with a Feb start I would have those and some lightweight gaiters (like the eVent ones from Mountain Laurel Designs), worn with medium weight wool socks. Later I would switch to lighter mesh trail runners when it warms up.

ryjohnson09
01-15-2016, 14:42
I'm heading out the weekend of Feb. 27th...sticking with trail runners (Brooks Cascadia 9).

Sethern
01-15-2016, 14:46
March 1st trail runners.

greygorilla
01-15-2016, 18:50
Late Feb... Wearing non-waterproof trail runners, mountain laurel design e-vent gaiters, mid weight wool socks... Works for me. If you're on the fence about shoes just buy one pair. If you don't like them then you're not stuck with 3 more pair at home. Dex Shell makes a gortex sock if you are on a budget and don't wanna buy a dedicated gortex boot/shoe for the start. Shoes are a personal choice... Find a system that you like and rock it. Good luck and enjoy!