View Full Version : new outfitter

Lone Wolf
01-15-2016, 13:35
this should cut into Neel gap business
http://woodygapoutfitters.com/

Gambit McCrae
01-15-2016, 13:46
Is it open?

Is he directing the "arrogant gear monster" Neels Gap?

Interested in how this will turn out in a few years

Lone Wolf
01-15-2016, 13:57
arrogant gear monster?

Tennessee Viking
01-15-2016, 13:58
I can only think it is going into the old corner store coming into Suches.

squeezebox
01-15-2016, 14:47
I think there are so many parts of the trail that don

I think there are so many parts of the trail that doesn't have an outfitter, that going up against Neel's Gap is a bad decision. Go somewhere with it.

Ktaadn
01-15-2016, 14:53
This is trail-south of Neel Gap? How many trail miles apart will they be?

Lone Wolf
01-15-2016, 14:54
This is trail-south of Neel Gap? How many trail miles apart will they be?

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-16-2016, 10:20
Incorrect rumours on the AT are as prevalent as poison Ivy :) - SO - straight from the "horses" mouth (mine) ... the proprietor of Woody Gap Outfitters ... here are a few quick answers to questions in this thread above ... :)

1) Woody Gap Outfitters will open February 15, 2016. It is currently under construction. It is located 1/2 mile west of the trail on Hwy 60 - an easy walk - less than halfway down to the Wolfpen Gap country Store.
2) The "gear monster" comment made me laugh and was coined by a hiker - NOT - by me. After I heard it - I made the point about how sensitive some folks are about pushy outfitters. I am NOT saying anything about anybody in particular - AND - the woman who said it did not name anybody in particular either. Given our location and the situation though - I can see how folks might "glom" those ideas together - but long point being - the "monster" does not mean anybody in particular. It's a concept that contrasts with our new idea. The only true "monster" is me ... before I have my morning coffee :)
3) check out www.WoodyGapOutfitters or call me at 678-262-8406 for further clarifications - or just to say hi !

rocketsocks
01-16-2016, 12:44
Dispell this.

I heard free suttle and hotdogs?

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-16-2016, 14:04
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;2033356]Dispell this.

I heard free shuttle and hotdogs?[/QUOTE

1) YES - FREE shuttles from Woody Gap to Woody Gap Outfitters at at least 6 (yet to be determined) times of the day (it's a 1/2 mile walk otherwise)
2) YES - we will have hot dogs (and pizza and ice cream)
3) NO - these food items will not be FREE in general - but we WILL offer FREE FOOD on our opening day and various days off Trail Magic when we can.

I hope that helps :)

Slo-go'en
01-16-2016, 14:05
Mountain crossings still has the advantage of location, but good luck. It does give people a second opportunity to replace gear or get something they suddenly find they need before going too far.

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-16-2016, 14:19
Mountain crossings still has the advantage of location, but good luck. It does give people a second opportunity to replace gear or get something they suddenly find they need before going too far.

Thanks "Slo-go'en" ! We're just gonna do our own thing. More than enough hikers nowadays to go around. You'll discover soon that the advantage of lower prices, WGO selling quality USED gear, and the concept of "competition being a good thing for the consumer" will also be have it's merits :)

johnnybgood
01-16-2016, 14:38
Being a smaller independent outfitter are you planning to carry some cottage industry gear that big box stores don't ? Good Luck ! I'll give you business whenever I'm in that neck of the woods.

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-16-2016, 15:02
Being a smaller independent outfitter are you planning to carry some cottage industry gear that big box stores don't ? Good Luck ! I'll give you business whenever I'm in that neck of the woods.

THANK YOU ! YES - MUCH of our gear will be from our favorite cottage industry vendors.

squeezebox
01-16-2016, 15:44
The collection of used stuff from the people that bail, or want to dump stuff will be interesting.

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-16-2016, 15:54
The collection of used stuff from the people that bail, or want to dump stuff will be interesting.

We will buy used gear to stock our "Bargain Corner" - but we will be selective - no junk. Prices will be great.

gpburdelljr
01-16-2016, 16:48
What is a "gear monster"? Please define.

dervari
01-16-2016, 16:59
We will buy used gear to stock our "Bargain Corner" - but we will be selective - no junk. Prices will be great.
Can't wait to check it out on our Georgia section in early may.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-16-2016, 17:00

I'm not exactly sure what the lady who used the term "gear monster" meant. I re-stated it elsewhere because I believe THAT individual found some outfitters intimidating - and I thought it was an odd and funny term. The exact hows, why's and circumstances she went through to feel that way are a mystery.

SteelCut
01-16-2016, 17:52
I'm assuming you will continue to operate Top of Georgia at Dick's Creek Gap too ?

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-16-2016, 23:08
I'm assuming you will continue to operate Top of Georgia at Dick's Creek Gap too ?

YES - I will be driving back and forth between them for this opening season .... can we say "lots of coffee" :)

Cotton Terry
01-17-2016, 14:39
I will definitely check you out as I pass through in mid-March with a hundred or so of my closest friends, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatMan
01-17-2016, 15:34
What is the actual address? I live just around the corner on Cooper Gap Rd and I just can't visualize your location only a half mile from Woody Gap.

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-17-2016, 16:54
What is the actual address? I live just around the corner on Cooper Gap Rd and I just can't visualize your location only a half mile from Woody Gap.

11 Caldwell Mountain Road - Corner of Hwy 60 and Caldwell Mt. Road

Rain Man
01-19-2016, 14:03
When I arrived at Woody Gap with three teenagers in '03, we newbies had run out of food and fuel. Having an outfitter nearby would have been wonderful.

As it was, two of the youngsters hitched into Suches and returned with the only things available: a fireplace fire log, Pop Tarts, and Beanie Weenies. We had a story to tell.

Sarcasm the elf
01-19-2016, 15:16

In my opinion REI would be emblematic of that term. They're the only outfitter I've ever had try and push to have me buy unnecessary crap.

Sarcasm the elf
01-19-2016, 15:21
Sit-Packs-Alot, if you ever get bored down there, come up to Southern New England. I would love to see an outfitter like this settle somewhere like Salisbury CT or Great Barrington MA.

Best wishes to you for your endeavor.

Casey & Gina
01-19-2016, 18:15
In my opinion REI would be emblematic of that term. They're the only outfitter I've ever had try and push to have me buy unnecessary crap.

On the bright side they will refund it all when you push back a few months later. ;)

TOW
01-19-2016, 20:51
Thanks "Slo-go'en" ! We're just gonna do our own thing. More than enough hikers nowadays to go around. You'll discover soon that the advantage of lower prices, WGO selling quality USED gear, and the concept of "competition being a good thing for the consumer" will also be have it's merits :) I agree with that.....

Goatgas
02-06-2016, 00:26
Will a variety of freeze dried foods (mountain house etc.) be available?

Pedaling Fool
05-15-2016, 08:39
Just curious...Anyone check out this new outfitter?

Stitches
05-15-2016, 11:06
I stopped in during their opening weekend in their shop at the corner of Hwy 60 and Wolfpen Gap Road just to see what I could see. I haven't been to the newer location 1/2 mile from Woody Gap. A big plus was, as other posters have mentioned, support of cottage industry vendors. They had some unique items that I had not seen before. The staff were personable, knowledgable, and helpful. Not pushy at all. I can't speak to the inventory at the new place regarding foods.

pilgrimskywheel
05-15-2016, 11:43
Excellent use of glom in context!

wornoutboots
05-15-2016, 16:47
Sucks that they are not open for Sobo's

dervari
05-16-2016, 00:27
They're closed for the "season" now. Looks to be only open during the NOBO bubble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

capehiker
05-22-2016, 22:57
They're closed for the "season" now. Looks to be only open during the NOBO bubble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Yep, after May 1, you are dead to them. On the bright side, I made it through all the major gaps without those pesky hiker feeds going on. ;)