PDA

View Full Version : More silly questions. Personal tracker

Fireplug
01-15-2016, 20:57
I have seen the spot GPS and the InReach Delorme. Has anyone used these or do you use something else. My family want to keep track of my hiking. It need to be able to ping my location to a web site.

Puddlefish
01-15-2016, 21:28
I hate being tracked, I told my family that they lose coverage easily and that would just worry them more. They require a view of the sky. The cheap devices are also cheap because they're pushing the monthly tracking fee, which makes it less cheap. The satellite tracker has about the same coverage and is a fully functional GPS (but you probably have that on your phone anyway), but has even more expensive monthly fees, and your family will then expect you to text back and forth all day. Just one more thing to lug around and charge/buy batteries for. I told the family I'd check in once every few weeks when I'm in town, and to like it. Yeah, I might have some hermit-like tendencies.

ChefATLTCT
01-15-2016, 21:36
The Guthook AT app for I phone has feature where you can send map coordinates, mile number on the trail or distance from the trail,and screen shot of ur map location. however it does require a cell signal to send theses messages

Fireplug
01-15-2016, 21:45
Thanks Chef. I'm trying to stay away from using my IPhone just for that reason. That's why I like the InReach. It's GPS signal is better than the Spot GPS

Traveler
01-16-2016, 07:46
I've used the SPOT devices for years (now using the Gen III), without any problems. Admittedly I carry it when I am alone on remote trails in case there is a problem and I need to get help. If you are using it for tracking purposes though (not for communication with home), a standard GPS may be more practical.

iAmKrzys
01-16-2016, 09:22
I have Spot and whenever I use it I put it in tracking mode. It works fine most of the time. I had some problems with accuracy earlier but I didn't see erroneous points reported by my Spot lately. Also not all transmissions go through (with default subscription plan I get tracking with 10-minute intervals) but I think I have never had a gap longer than 40-minutes.

Fireplug
01-16-2016, 11:54
I've used the SPOT devices for years (now using the Gen III), without any problems. Admittedly I carry it when I am alone on remote trails in case there is a problem and I need to get help. If you are using it for tracking purposes though (not for communication with home), a standard GPS may be more practical.

I want ant something like the spot or InReach. I want it to upload to a mapping program so my family can track my progress.

Uncle Joe
01-16-2016, 11:59
I use a Spot. It will email coordinates to anyone you specify. They can pull those up easily enough online. If you're doing the AT you can have the guys place you on the Trackleaders.com site and your family can watch you there. Or Spot creates a tracking page for you and they can view that.

Fireplug
01-16-2016, 12:16
I use a Spot. It will email coordinates to anyone you specify. They can pull those up easily enough online. If you're doing the AT you can have the guys place you on the Trackleaders.com site and your family can watch you there. Or Spot creates a tracking page for you and they can view that.

I like the spot. Simple but I don't like the charges. InReach you only pay for the time you use it. I'm going to hit REI in a few weeks to get some advise on them both.

Shutterbug
01-16-2016, 12:19
I have seen the spot GPS and the InReach Delorme. Has anyone used these or do you use something else. My family want to keep track of my hiking. It need to be able to ping my location to a web site.

I have used both. I used Spot for years before the InReach came out. I have now switched to InReach.

Based on my experience, thee is very little difference between the Spot and the InReach when it comes to tracking. They work exactly the same.

The reason I use the InReach is for the two way communication. When I was using the Spot, I had an emergency situation in the bottom of the Grand Canyon in which I attempted to call for help. I did not know until later that the SOS message never got out. With the inReach, if you send an SOS message, you will receive confirmation. You can communicate details of your emergency to the emergency center and keep them informed with text messages. I have never had to use the SOS feature on the Delorme, but I am confident that it will work.

If you want to see an example of how the tracking feature works, visit my web site: http://www.davemcclung.com. Click on the "Inreach Map" link. I have turned off the password requirement. The current map shows my recent trip to Egypt.

Fireplug
01-16-2016, 12:59
Shutterbug. Thanks a million. I'm now sold on the InReach. I may be asking you questions after I buy one.
Thanks again.

Fireplug
01-16-2016, 14:42
Shutterbug. Which model do you have?

Vegan Packer
01-16-2016, 15:03
I just got an InReach for this coming season. I haven't activated it yet, so I have nothing to report. I got it in order to have the two way communication and verification that messages have been received.

Fireplug
01-16-2016, 15:15
Vegan. Which one did you get?

Venchka
01-16-2016, 16:36
While at REI investigate the Personal Locator Beacons.
Last month the SPOT3 was free.
Trackleaders is awesome. The Tour Divide real time coverage of over a hundred riders was fascinating.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Akela
01-16-2016, 16:42
I have the SPOT GenIII. I just need it to let my husband where I am and that I am OK. For more extended two way messages I just use the cell phone.

dervari
01-16-2016, 17:02
I would not trust spot or inreach for emergency usage. I have a true plb for that. I do have a spot for tracking and check in.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
01-16-2016, 17:53
Vegan. Which one did you get?

I ended out getting the Explorer, however, Outdoor Gear Lab and some other reviews say that paying extra for this version is not really worth it. The main difference between the SE and the Explorer is that you can pre-program your route into the Explorer, and you can't with the SE. It's not like I would be constantly relying on this feature, but it is nice to have it for when I am double checking to make sure that I am headed the right way, should that ever come up. :o

It also has some other navigation features, such as digital compass, waypoint marking, and altimeter. If you carry your cell with you, you may not need this redundancy. However, I want to be free not to carry my phone.

Last, the Explorer weighs just over an ounce less than the SE.

Vegan Packer
01-16-2016, 17:59
I would not trust spot or inreach for emergency usage. I have a true plb for that. I do have a spot for tracking and check in.

I had been using a true PLB before getting the Delorme. Great piece of kit. PLBs have the strongest transmission signal.

For me, the downsides were that the one that I had was like carrying a brick, 17 ounces, and there was no two-way communication or way to verify that the message had been received. But for the weight issue as the tipping point in my decision to make the switch, I might have just kept using the PLB, since they are the most reliable for signal, which largely removed my concern about any emergency signal not getting received on the other end.

On the other hand, the Delorme satellite system is available around the world, and has been tested extensively. It is pretty solid. Since you can get a confirmation that your message has been received, that largely takes away my concern about signal strength issues.

Shutterbug
01-16-2016, 18:03
Shutterbug. Which model do you have? I have the inReach SE and use it paired to my iPhone. I didn't get the more expensive model that has a gps screen because the screen is too small for my 72 year old eyes.

PS -- I might mention that the inReach is great if you travel to places in the world where communication is limited. I recently took a cruise on the Nile River. I was able to send and receive text messages from my family even in the middle of the Saharah Desert. I was also able to post to Facebook to make all of my friends jealous.

Fireplug
01-16-2016, 19:11
I don't really care about the text/messaging stuff. And as far as emergency stuff. I am 911. I just want to turn it on have it ping every hour or so, so my parents can see where I'm at.

Uncle Joe
01-16-2016, 20:24
While at REI investigate the Personal Locator Beacons.
Last month the SPOT3 was free.
Trackleaders is awesome. The Tour Divide real time coverage of over a hundred riders was fascinating.

Wayne

We've been using Spots on the Tour Divide since the very beginning. (I provide the call-in service to the racers via MTBCast.) The tracking isn't always perfect but that's often due to them not getting reset or turned off or something.

Venchka
01-16-2016, 21:47
We've been using Spots on the Tour Divide since the very beginning. (I provide the call-in service to the racers via MTBCast.) The tracking isn't always perfect but that's often due to them not getting reset or turned off or something.

Thank you for your efforts. I appreciate everyone's hard work. Last year's Tour Divide SPOT tracking was far superior to the inReach tracking of Scott on the AT. I knew exactly when Josh made his break south of Silver City. Like watching the motorcycle feed from the Tour de France.
Thanks again.

Wayne

Venchka
01-16-2016, 21:52
I would not trust spot or inreach for emergency usage. I have a true plb for that.

My thoughts exactly. 5 watt SOS signal for 30 hours vs. 0.6 watt occasional signal.

Wayne

Traveler
01-17-2016, 07:13
I want ant something like the spot or InReach. I want it to upload to a mapping program so my family can track my progress.

Both should do that, each has their own protocols they use to manage that process. Satellite signal reception is what it is, if either device can "see" the satellite(s), you will get coverage, if they can't, you won't.

The choice between them really depends if you want real-time two way communication or if the tracking and EMS response is all you are looking for.