PDA

View Full Version : Crowd prediction April 28th

Hiketarian
01-16-2016, 09:38
Hi, I'm starting my hike a Amicalola State Park Thursday April the 28th.

Anyone starting then? Was hoping maybe it wouldn't be so busy lol although that's just a dream from what I understand in the latest situation on the AT.

Marta
01-16-2016, 09:48
You'll probably be behind the biggest waves of thru-hiking hopefuls, but the southern AT is very, very popular with weekenders and section-hikers. You won't be alone.

You'll probably meet a few jerks, dozens of interesting people, and a few people who will become lifelong friends of your heart.

Best wishes.

Fireplug
01-16-2016, 11:58
If you want to hike the whole trail you may need to pick up the pace. It's kind of a late start. But I'm guessing you might be alone at night after Neels gap

Slo-go'en
01-16-2016, 14:14
judging by the number of people who have registered with the ATC, there will be a handful of others starting on or about that date and it quickly falls off to nearly none after that.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration/2016-thru-hiker-registration-charts

squeezebox
01-16-2016, 14:38
Nothing wrong with the 2 year program, or a flip flop of some sort.

Scaper
01-16-2016, 15:23
I started on my hike on May 5 and finished on October 9 in 1990. About 6 other hikers started the same day and was behind most of the hikers but one started as late as June 5th that year and passed me in Maine. In my opinion most hikers start way to early in winter weather and don't even see leaves on the trees until Pa. They do have one advantage. More time. 5 months was plenty for me and I got to see leaves change in Maine. If I were to do the trail again I would again start in the first week in May.

Del Q
01-17-2016, 09:36
I was there last March, like 75 people per day starting, thinned out quickly. I tent so the shelter areas are not where I hang, those were BUSY!

AlyontheAT2016
01-30-2016, 21:39
I'll be hiking up to Springer on April 23 and officially setting off on the 24th. Maybe I'll see you around!

Coffee
01-30-2016, 21:42
I'm planning a SOBO at some point over the next few years. But if I were to go NOBO I see no reason at all to start before May 1, at least in terms of being able to finish in time.

BASA
01-31-2016, 02:28
I'm starting NOBO on May 11th with the intention of finishing the trail before October. No snow, yeah. I'm not a big post-holing fan. I also love traveling light much easier to do in warm weather. I hope to see many of you out there!

soilman
01-31-2016, 11:17
I agree with Scaper and Coffee. A May 1 start is not too late. If I do a NOBO again that's when I would start. I don't understand the early starts. I started on April 7 with a fellow who initially started March 1. He said he slept on a sheet of ice on Springer and decided to go home to WI where it was warmer and start a month later.

Bubblehead
01-31-2016, 11:27
I'll be starting on the approach trail on 4/21.....hope to meet a fellow Floridian on the trail!

capehiker
01-31-2016, 12:19
I'm starting NOBO on May 11th with the intention of finishing the trail before October. No snow, yeah. I'm not a big post-holing fan. I also love traveling light much easier to do in warm weather. I hope to see many of you out there!

I'm right behind you. I'm starting May 14th so I'd say it's probably very likely we'll meet somewhere along the trail. I also used to live right down the road from you in Petaluma. *sigh* I miss norCal.

BASA
01-31-2016, 16:09
I'm right behind you. I'm starting May 14th so I'd say it's probably very likely we'll meet somewhere along the trail. I also used to live right down the road from you in Petaluma. *sigh* I miss norCal.

After the recent storm you experienced I would think you would miss Petaluma, especially the weather and maybe the hiking. You're probably very familiar with the areas where I train such as Mt. Burdell, Mt. Tam, Rush Creek, Pt. Reyes, and Big Rock. I'll be doing the approach trail so you'll only be a couple day behind me. See you on the trail.

sadlowskiadam
02-15-2016, 13:53

Anyone starting then? Was hoping maybe it wouldn't be so busy lol although that's just a dream from what I understand in the latest situation on the AT.

I started my thru hike on April 28, 2013. I climbed Mt. Katahdin on Oct. 12, 2013. I was a novice hiker in my mid-thirties, and I was able to finish before Baxter State Park closed. I also took a lot of zero days. Don't listen to the hikers you meet along the way that say "you need to flip flop" or "you'll never get to Katahdin before it closes." This is simply false. If I thru hike again, I would start no earlier than May 1.

In the beginning, you will be playing catch-up to the hiker bubble. But you will definitely catch the bubble around Damascus or the southern parts of Virginia. You should be able to pull good miles from the outset because there is more daylight, and the weather is much more mild (which allows for longer hiking days). I had only one day where I had to get off the trail for cold rain, so by starting later (hopefully) you will avoid most of the bad weather. I wish I could start with you on April 28, 2016, but life seems to always get in the way. Best of luck to you.

Gambit McCrae
02-15-2016, 14:36
I sobo'd Georgia in April of last year and I saw my fair share of nobo hopefuls that late in the year. It had a good mix of section hikers as well but I met friendly strangers by the dozens the entire time.

evyck da fleet
02-15-2016, 17:27
If you don't like busy than the AT might not be for you:). I kid.

You're starting late enough to get the day/section hiker crowd every weekend if there isn't enough thru's for you. I imagine you'll have college kids starting around and after you as spring semester ends and they try to finish before fall semester starts and some flip floppers.

denimlabels
02-17-2016, 20:17
I was going to start Feb. 28th until I got my head examined. Too much change in gear and other BS problems to work around leaving NOBO early so I am going to pack light and leave late between May 5th and 10th and plan to be to Maine before the end of October.

NewHeart
02-17-2016, 22:12
I am planning to start the same time as you. Not planning on move very fast, just slow and steady. I'm an old guy with a new heart. Should have all my gear ready to go in the next week or two. Been working on dehydrating my food.

denimlabels
02-18-2016, 00:25
Wow a new heart huh? Probably one of the best gear choices I have heard here so far on White Blaze:) Take your time, take it slow, enjoy the flowers and bee's and non injuries.

I have followed some other thru hikers that had good success starting a bit later. It has its advantages. Like, more leaves on the trees for starters and less frozen water. And a lighter pack.

Ive been getting into shape for months now. I have slacked a bit now that the weather has gotten so cold, I dont want to leave the house. Not without all my gear anyway. I can smell the freedom getting closer by the day. It will be here in no time.

robby
02-18-2016, 00:37
starting the springer approach on april 26, myself. we'll certainly have a warmer hike! but plenty of time. maybe we'll even catch up with the dawdlers in new england.

i'm just wondrin if i should find a ride up to trail days in damascus. no way to get there on time for that walking, unless you're scott juke or anish.

Kebler
02-18-2016, 00:46
NewHeart, I'm also from C-ville and attempting a thruhike this year. Small world eh?! I will be flip flopping from Harpers ferry starting mid April though, but maybe at some point we'll cross paths. Very cool that you have dedicated this hike to a good cause, and very happy that you have been given this opportunity. Although training/conditioning hikes in this area are limited, I've been trying to get out 3-4 times a week with a pack to get some miles on my legs. If you ever want to meet up for a hike, please feel free to PM me... Best of luck my friend

robby
02-18-2016, 00:50
jurek - autocorrect juked me

LWill92
02-20-2016, 20:17
I'll be heading out the 21st!

happypad
02-21-2016, 08:46
I'll be starting on the approach trail on 4/21.....hope to meet a fellow Floridian on the trail!
Myself and two other Floridians hit the approach on April 7 for a Deep Gap section hike. Good luck.

Jeff
02-21-2016, 09:52
Hiking the AT in 5 months is something most people can easily handle. The trick is to not join large groups of hikers who constantly make "group" decisions...that often include taking more zeros than you might have originally planned.

Too many town stops not only make you spend more money, they also make you spend more time.

r_wett
02-23-2016, 00:22

ill be right on your tail starting at springer on the 30th. happy trails!

r_wett
02-23-2016, 00:24
i'm just wondrin if i should find a ride up to trail days in damascus.

im just a couple days behind you and wondering the same thing. chances are i wont be at trail days this year, but nothings impossible

Trance
02-23-2016, 12:05
It will be lighter.

Four years ago I started at Spinger on April 10th and there were maybe 10 starting, 3 people sick at Hawk shelter, and Gooch Gap was basically full.