PDA

View Full Version : Red Beard's youtube Hiking Videos

Downunda
01-16-2016, 22:01
I apologize if this has already been discussed (I did a search and didn't find it) but are any of you hikers out there watching Red Beard's youtube hiking videos? He's done the AT, the CDT, the Florida Trail and other stuff. As a former thru hiker I'm finding them fantastic, even my wife thinks they are great and she's not a hiker.

If you haven't seen them I'm sure you will love them as Red Beard really does a very good commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/user/wmwood2001/playlists

Cotton Terry
01-16-2016, 22:05
I watched his AT videos several times. I was following him on the PCT and he disappeared. Did he finish?

X-Pat
01-16-2016, 22:07
Nope. He had to quit because of wildfires. Also, his hiking partner broke a bone in his foot.

chknfngrs
01-16-2016, 22:57
He posted on this site way back in the day. He's also working for Zpacks now. Great videos

Emerson Bigills
01-16-2016, 23:04
I really enjoyed his AT thru videos. I have seen pictures of the Whites and Maine, but his videos show the terrain below tree line and the extreme trail in Maine like no others I had seen before. It was an eye opener. He does a great job with the camera and adding very informative commentary.

u.w.
01-17-2016, 01:37
Hello Downunda,

He (Red Beard) Has Not done the CDT, nor the Florida Trail. He has hiked A Section of the FT though, yes. I also agree that he does have some pretty cool videos too, yes for sure.
Give credit where credit is due by all means, but no need to make stuff up.

u.w.

Downunda
01-17-2016, 06:02
Hello Downunda,

He (Red Beard) Has Not done the CDT, nor the Florida Trail. He has hiked A Section of the FT though, yes. I also agree that he does have some pretty cool videos too, yes for sure.
Give credit where credit is due by all means, but no need to make stuff up.

u.w.

I did mean the PCT not the CDT, sorry my mistake. Red Beard's videos are still terrific, I hope others enjoy them as much as we do.

lukabrazi
01-17-2016, 07:45
When did Red Beard finish the AT? I was going south in the 100 mile wilderness in 2013 and met a Red Beard hiking North who was a couple days from finishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
01-17-2016, 08:31
He also did a video of thru hiking the foothills trail which I found interesting given my hike was shortly after his.

ZenRabbit
01-17-2016, 10:53
Some of his PCT videos were great the way he summarized the days hike goal and shot the highlights of the trail that day. I'm glad to hear that he found a company like Z packs to work for. Awesome.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

capehiker
01-17-2016, 11:45
He had a connection with Joe from Zpacks before his AT hike and it is great he is working for them now. His videos were great to watch but his commentary is what set his videos apart from others.

Fireplug
01-17-2016, 19:35
Red beard is a great guy. I have watched many of his videos. He works at Zpacks not testing gear. Zpacks is 40 miles from me and I'm hoping to grab lunch with him soon. Matt and Joe at Zpacks hired a great guy. If your ever in Palm Bay stop in they are happy to give tours and answer questions. Been there several times

Mtsman
01-17-2016, 19:51
Yes! I enjoy Red Beard's video's as well. There are several others out there that I watch(ed) as well.

Vegan Packer
01-17-2016, 19:53
If your [sic] ever in Palm Bay stop in they are happy to give tours and answer questions. Been there several times

They are great, and super helpful. I visited just after they moved into the new factory location.

T.S.Kobzol
01-17-2016, 21:08
Could anyone recommend a great blog of a Florida trail thruhike?. Pretty please 😊

fastfoxengineering
01-17-2016, 21:52
I think Redbeard became so popular because he really was the first imo to head out to the AT with an action camera and record it very well. Now it seems like everyone is doing it. Will seems like a great guy, and he now works with Joe over at Zpacks. I really don't have anything negative to say about this videos. I was glued to youtube everytime you released a new AT video. Didn't really watch much of his PCT stuff. His gear reviews are decent as well.

If you enjoy Will's stuff, Joe Brewer's channel is definitely worth checking out. He just completed a triple crown and his content is top notch imo. Very entertaining and informative.

Will and Joe's channel are my two hiking channels I check regularly for updates.

Christoph
01-17-2016, 23:05
I've watched his AT videos over and over. Great quality and dialog. They actually helped me a little during my planning phase (not to mention, the getting even more excited about the whole idea before I even set foot on the trail).

jefals
01-18-2016, 12:44
As an old geezer who's new at this activity, and after doing a little of the pct and reading your comments on this thread, I watched Red Beard's pct video. And I discovered how to not need so much water - night hiking!
My concern about that is that, while hiking out there, you are very often on very narrow, very steep cliffs, plenty of loose rocks... can you really see good enough with those headlamps? Obviously it wasn't an issue for Red Beard. I guess I haven't been eating enough carrots, though. I don't think I'd be that brave.
Another thing - he had that umbrella. Have y'all used those? I use 2 poles, so I'd have to give one up. Is it worth it?

Fireplug
01-18-2016, 12:53
They are great, and super helpful. I visited just after they moved into the new factory location.

Vegan. Where are they located now. I don't know where thier new location is. Can you PM me the address

fastfoxengineering
01-18-2016, 14:12
As an old geezer who's new at this activity, and after doing a little of the pct and reading your comments on this thread, I watched Red Beard's pct video. And I discovered how to not need so much water - night hiking!
My concern about that is that, while hiking out there, you are very often on very narrow, very steep cliffs, plenty of loose rocks... can you really see good enough with those headlamps? Obviously it wasn't an issue for Red Beard. I guess I haven't been eating enough carrots, though. I don't think I'd be that brave.
Another thing - he had that umbrella. Have y'all used those? I use 2 poles, so I'd have to give one up. Is it worth it?

Many experienced long distance hikers swear by the umbrella. Especially on a trail like the PCT. It is a replica of the very popular chrome dome umbrella. It is a Liteflex hiking umbrella. The mylar sided top is a god send in the desert for an instant canopy to protect you from sun exposure. Many also use it in conjuction with their tarp shelters if the rain/wind is blowing. And sometimes, people even use it when it's raining! In light precipitation they are the most breathable rain gear there is.

As for using your poles in conjunction with the umbrella. Well some just hike with one pole while using it. Others have trail engineered some pretty ingenious ways to strap it to your pack. If my memory serves me correctly I think Wired has an article on her method. She's a triple crowner, and another advocate of the umbrella.

jefals
01-18-2016, 15:00
Yes, I can strap one (or both) my poles to my pack. With my old knees, I like hiking with both poles, tho. I guess it's just one of those tradeoffs..

T.S.Kobzol
01-18-2016, 15:47
We have used an umbrella on long distance treks through wind river range. Love it

jefals
01-18-2016, 16:59
Others have trail engineered some pretty ingenious ways to strap it to your pack.

Oh! You're talking about strapping the UMBRELLA to the pack! Yes, that would solve the problem if I could get that to work...I'll look into it.

pauly_j
01-19-2016, 05:26
http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/umbrella-rigging.html