PDA

View Full Version : Tent camping

traviswdalton
01-17-2016, 19:37
I've read a couple books from thru hikers and a common theme seems to be getting to the next shelter or town to sleep. My question is do you have to camp in a specific place or can you just pitch your tent wherever you stop?

HooKooDooKu
01-17-2016, 21:58
Depends upon where you are located.
Some places, such as Great Smoky Mountains National Park, require you to stay at designated camping spots. Other places (like national forests) allow you to camp pretty much anywhere (but again, each area might have different rules). Then there are going to be spots where you are simply not allowed to camp anywhere. For example, I think once you start up Mtn Katadin, there's no camping on the mountain.

Heliotrope
01-17-2016, 22:04
Pretty much you can camp anywhere. There are exceptions, however. Some areas are restricted to established sites like GSMNP. In other areas the terrain limits camping sites due to steep hillsides, rocky terrain, and/or dense undergrowth. A tent with a large footprint can also limit your options. Hammocks and tarps are more stealthy. Though sometimes the shelter is so easy and appealing if not overcrowded. I enjoy the social aspect of the shelters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
01-17-2016, 22:06
Baxter State Park has camping in designated areas only. There is no camping above tree line anywhere in Maine. In the White Mountains, you can only camp above tree line on two feet of snow. Different states, different rules.

Slo-go'en
01-17-2016, 22:49
There may not be a specific rule against camping along much of the trail, but the problem is that it's not practical to camp just anywhere and in some places it's not even safe. The top of a bald might seem like a nice place to camp, until a strong thunderstorm rolls in the middle of the night with 50 MPH wind gusts, lighting and heavy rain. You spend much of your time hiking along the ridge line with steep, rocky sides and thick brush. Not a good place to camp.

That said, there are quite a few suitable tenting spots along the trail. The trick is finding them when you need them. If it's getting near dark, the chances of your finding one of these spots diminishes quickly the closer it gets to full dark.

Shelters are located in areas which are desirable camping locations - reasonably level ground, protected from the brunt of storms and reasonable proximity to water. They also often offer ammenities such as a picnic table and privy. If you don't want to stay in the shelter (or can't because too many people got there before you), suitable tenting spots are usually located near-by.

bigcranky
01-17-2016, 22:52
95% of the trail you could, in theory, toss down a tent anywhere. It's polite to do so out of sight of the trail, but if you set up at dusk and clear out at dawn, no biggie.

The other 5% is regulated and you need to follow the law.

However, note that for much of the 95% you will find it difficult to pitch your tent due to terrain (steepness), undergrowth, etc. There are a lot of pre-existing campsites, so most of the time if it's possible to pitch a tent, someone has already done so.

map man
01-17-2016, 22:58
I urge you to buy the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion as it lists the camping regulations in all the various jurisdictions (it's possible that AWOL's guide also has this information but I don't have a copy so don't know for sure). For instance, when I peruse the Companion I see that camping is prohibited away from designated campsites in Maryland, New Jersey and Connecticut, and the Cumberland Valley in Pennsylvania. In addition there are varying restrictions in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Shenandoah National Park, Baxter State Park, the White Mountains in New Hampshire and in State Game Lands in Pennsylvania. These restrictions vary enough from each other that I'm not going to try to detail them all here.

You can buy a Companion through the ATC's on-line store and elsewhere.

Odd Man Out
01-18-2016, 01:08
Even working within the regulations, I think it would be safe to say there are large numbers of thru hikers for whom staying on a shelter is an exception and not the rule. Tenting is very common.

Slo-go'en
01-18-2016, 13:02
Even working within the regulations, I think it would be safe to say there are large numbers of thru hikers for whom staying on a shelter is an exception and not the rule. Tenting is very common.

I don't know about that. Once the bubbles thins out, large numbers of thru hikers get lazy and start staying in shelters. The convenience factor of a shelter is pretty big.

booney_1
01-18-2016, 14:40
There is usually a water source at shelters also...

4eyedbuzzard
01-18-2016, 14:43
I don't know about that. Once the bubbles thins out, large numbers of thru hikers get lazy and start staying in shelters. The convenience factor of a shelter is pretty big.Especially in a storm.

traviswdalton
01-19-2016, 09:04
I guess the HYOH rule applies when it comes to using shelters or tents except when prohibited by law