PDA

View Full Version : Insulating layer

pauly_j
01-18-2016, 06:48
Hi guys & gals.

What insulating layer did you take on your thru?

My go-to when hiking is a mid-weight fleece and to be honest I'd take one with me regardless. Would I likely need anything else? I have a Uniqlo lightweight down jacket which I have taken on a couple of trips but I often felt like it was surplus to requirements when I had the fleece anyway, though none of those situations were below freezing (one was windy and frosty though). To me, they feel like they're two items that do one thing and have similar insulation values.

The last time I took out my down jacket I don't feel like it offered me anything more than my fleece, and I spent most of my time worrying about it getting wet (on a cold misty Dartmoor morning).

Are there any times when I could potentially be caught short by only having a fleece? I have a capilene baselayer and a smartwool baselayer that both offer me pretty good warmth when paired with a fleece.

I know the down jacket weighs almost nothing but I don't want to take up space in my pack with something I won't use. I also won't be swapping out gear when it gets warmer/colder either, so I don't want to be carrying redundant gear for 2000+ miles.

Starting March 31st, hopefully around 6 months to complete.

egilbe
01-18-2016, 07:37
it snows in the mountains in April. Down is warmer than fleece for the weight. Most people bounce their Winter gear to VT to use in NH and Maine when they will need it again.

you will get cold. You will use the down jacket.

hubcap
01-18-2016, 08:35
What feels cold to me, might not feel cold to you. Layering is key to warmth, but you'll have to figure what works best for you. Down, fleece... both. Best er on the side of safety IMO. Ultralight sometimes leads to ultracold. Been there,,, didn't like it. Added warmth back into my pack.

juma
01-18-2016, 09:30
yes, fleece over down because you can dry it out much quicker. Do you have some kind of windbreaker/rain jacket too? I include that as well to defeat wind, and rain at least for a short time.

garlic08
01-18-2016, 09:54
This is a very personal decision, and as always, your answer will depend as much on your experience (and tolerance to cold) as on your gear. There are very experienced folks out there who can do more with a plastic bag than some newbies can do with very expensive down and laminated rain gear.

On my AT hike, started early April, I left the fleece at home and carried a Marmot Driclime jacket and a nice down vest. I hiked through two spring blizzards in the southern Appalachians with temps in the teens (F) and blowing snow, yet never wore the down garment while walking. I kept it absolutely dry in my pack as a back-up for my excellent 15F-rated down bag, and wore it on a couple of mornings while packing up in cold dry snow. While hiking on those wintry days, I was very successful wearing less insulation and keeping warm by keeping moving, but that required close attention to food and hydration with minimal rest, and resting wherever minimal shelter presented itself. (On the AT, you get that every ten miles or so with lean-to shelters, at least.)

The decision to leave the fleece behind was tough, and it was based on a couple of years of experimenting on winter trips beforehand--again, lots of personal experience. I decided the fleece was too heavy and bulky for its benefits and the decision turned out to be a good one for me. The fleece hasn't seen the inside of my pack since.

MuddyWaters
01-18-2016, 09:55
Fleece + Down in cold weather. Need something warm when stopped.
Being cold sucks.

colorado_rob
01-18-2016, 09:55
Just one more opinion, my upper body kit for an April 10th Springer start included a 1/4 zip base layer capalene top (swapped for a merino wool version later), a 100-wt microfleece 2nd layer (carried on entire AT), a Mont Bell UL down sweater, and a Dri Ducks rain jacket (replaced later with an Arteryx). For me, a perfect combination. The 7 ounce down sweater was a fantastic garment to put on in the chilly mornings, and wear around camp at night. I don't think I ever once wore it hiking. I did start out in the mornings with the microfleece over the base layer, most mornings in fact, and usually pulled it on during breaks in cooler weather, or when I first got to a shelter or camp at end of hiking day. I carried the down sweater up until past the Grayson Highlands, now early may and warmer (lower) terrain, sent it home. And, of course, started using it again up north, as already said. There is no reason not to swap out gear during an AT hike. It's easy.

Also: An ultralight down sweater packs up ridiculously small. Much smaller, of course, than a much heavier and bulkier heavier fleece jacket. My 200 weight fleece jacket weighs 20 ounces and is about the same packed size as my sleeping bag.

I never once got my down sweater wet during my entire AT hike.

MuddyWaters
01-18-2016, 09:58
Light weight fleece + Down in cold weather. Need something warm when stopped.
Being cold sucks.

Sirsnappy09
01-18-2016, 11:14
Montbell is where its at for wrmth vs weight.

pauly_j
01-18-2016, 11:25
Thanks guys, I guess I'll take both and use the down jacket for camp/chilly rest breaks.

QiWiz
01-18-2016, 11:50
I usually bring a down garment to wear in camp or (if needed) while sleeping. This can be a vest, a sweater, or a full jacket depending on the weather I expect. On the AT NOBO with typical start date, it would be a down sweater or light jacket. But I never wear down while hiking and sweating, so I would also have a synthetic or merino wool layer for extra warmth if need be. This is often a light fleece "expedition weight" zip-neck top.

peakbagger
01-18-2016, 12:01
Fleece and Down for insulating are definitely complimentary. Nothing beats down standing around a campsite at the end of the day. Down on the other hand is just about useless hiking as its gets compressed by the pack and it damps out quick. Fleece is great for hiking as it breathes. I use windblock fleece these days as it is remarkably windproof but the trade off is that it doesn't breath as well as regular fleece. I wish companies would figure that out and put pit zips on windproof fleece but I expect the demand isn't there. I expect there could be a cottage industry for someone to alter windblock fleece jackets by adding pit zips. I did it once by hand to an fleece lined Anorack and still use it when I am working in the woods.

gbolt
01-18-2016, 13:14
Fleece and Down for insulating are definitely complimentary. Nothing beats down standing around a campsite at the end of the day. Down on the other hand is just about useless hiking as its gets compressed by the pack and it damps out quick. Fleece is great for hiking as it breathes. I use windblock fleece these days as it is remarkably windproof but the trade off is that it doesn't breath as well as regular fleece. I wish companies would figure that out and put pit zips on windproof fleece but I expect the demand isn't there. I expect there could be a cottage industry for someone to alter windblock fleece jackets by adding pit zips.

You may want to check into the Houdini for covering your fleece. I have a nylon Columbia Windjacket that I use because even though it was a couple ounces heavier, it was on sale for under $30. I put it over a Patagonia Pro Zip which is a combo of Cap 4 and Cap 1. Never needed anything else for non wet weather. I also keep the Down dry for camp and to supplement the underquilt on the hammock.