PDA

View Full Version : The Big Chill-Winter arrives in the North Carolina Mountains

Venchka
01-18-2016, 09:13
I heard a headline on NPR driving to work. Confirmed by Ray's Weather.
If you're on the AT now, you will learn why you need adequate gear for real winter weather.
Quoted from Ray's Weather:
"Big Brrrrhttp://184.106.45.76/images/bigsnow.gifSunday's snow showers are ending as flurries early this morning. Skies clear quickly today. The coldest weather of the season is the big story today. Adding a gusty NW wind gives us wind chills in the single digits and down into the negative teens on mountaintops. Subtract another 10 degrees from those temperatures andwindchills tonight. Frigid temperatures last through Tuesday.
Then our attention turns to snow--a little one then a big one. Late Wednesday a weak disturbance arrives from the west producing 1"ish snows (less along the eastern edge of the Appalachians). A powerful low builds in Texas Thursday, then makes a run across the Southeast Friday with the potential of a big snow here late Thursday through early Saturday. Snow totals with that event will depend on whether precipitation turns to a wintry mix for a while Friday. Stay tuned! "

Stay warm. Be safe.

Wayne

The Cleaner
01-18-2016, 09:45
This is about how the weather goes here in the Southern Appalachians.It was 77* here in Greeneville on Christmas day. Greeneville is about 30 miles north of Hot Springs NC.In the high country frostbite is a possibility and the few hikers currently hiking NOBO will be seeking shelter in a hostel or motel most likely.Currently it's 14* with a little wind here.

illabelle
01-18-2016, 10:10
I'm voting for snow on Wednesday, after I've made it home safely from work. Snow on the weekend just messes up the weekend. I hope I can get a truckload of firewood delivered tomorrow morning. It's cold out there!

FlyFishNut
01-18-2016, 10:25
There is nothing more peaceful than backpacking / camping in the snow. Have the right gear and enjoy it. I'm scheming how I can get away for an overnighter this weekend and enjoy the snow.

grizzlyadam
01-18-2016, 10:50
I'm getting married in Boone on Saturday. Looks like it could be a snowy wedding!

FlyFishNut
01-18-2016, 11:25
I'm getting married in Boone on Saturday. Looks like it could be a snowy wedding!

Congrats on getting hitched up!

Slo-go'en
01-18-2016, 12:52
Winter was a little slow in getting started this year, but it looks like we'll have one after all.

Venchka
01-18-2016, 12:55
I'll second the congrats! Have fun!

If you read Ray's temperature and wind forecast, take note of his deductions in temperature and addition in wind speed higher up in the mountains. Boone's elevation is 3,400'. The ridges along the AT are several thousand feet higher with corresponding decrease in temperature and increase in wind speed. Common sense knowledge for for some. Unknown territory for others.

Wayne

Woodturner
01-18-2016, 13:15
Well, it IS January!
In 1978 I took a little vacation around the first of April and re-hiked all of Georgia and NC to Wesser. The weather was fantastic. So fantastic in fact that some of that year's crop of thru-hikers were talking about sending their cold weather gear home to shave some weight. I told them they shouldn't, although I don't know if anyone paid attention.
Just as I got home, my parents took a trip to Gatlinburg. While there, they gave a ride to one of the guys I'd hiked with. He told them to tell me that I'd missed snow on Clingmans Dome.
I have hiked the Roan Highlands in January, but the coldest night I ever spent was Carvers Gap in May. Mountain weather is hard to figure.

daddytwosticks
01-18-2016, 13:16
I was just up at the outfitter's at Neels Gap. With the wind howling, it had to be close to zero windchill. Can't wait until spring! :)

Coffee
01-18-2016, 13:17
Someday I'll bite the bullet and buy a zero degree bag so I can enjoy this kind of weather. For now, I avoid it.

The Cleaner
01-18-2016, 13:32
I enjoy winter/snow hiking too,but at about 0* the fun just turns into survival mode.Many foods freeze solid and just keeping a canteen of water for hiking from freezing requires a little thinking outside of the (ice)box.I sometimes wait for forecast snow to fall then head out a few days later when the roads have been cleared and the temps may have warmed a little.The few thru hikers on the trail now are using canister stoves and that is not going to work out too well for them along with other problems they might encounter.

Venchka
01-18-2016, 14:53
I just remembered a trip we made from Athens, GA to Columbus, OH in mid-April. I looked at a map and decided that the drive across the Park would be fun. It started snowing about a mile from the east entrance. They closed the gate across the road about 100 yards before we got there. Rats! We detoured through Maggie Valley in the snow. That was a treacherous drive indeed.
Another thing that Flatlanders don't understand: Mountains make their own weather. The crest of the Appalachians supports vegetation found from northern New England all the way to Labrador.
The Cleaner:
I agree. Zero is starting to be real winter. Not to be treated lightly.
If Ray is right, my grand kids will be out of school later this week. Maybe I'll get a snowman picture.
Be safe, Y'all!

Wayne

grizzlyadam
01-18-2016, 15:06
Congrats on getting hitched up!

Thanks! We're pretty stoked.

grizzlyadam
01-18-2016, 15:10
I'll second the congrats! Have fun!

If you read Ray's temperature and wind forecast, take note of his deductions in temperature and addition in wind speed higher up in the mountains. Boone's elevation is 3,400'. The ridges along the AT are several thousand feet higher with corresponding decrease in temperature and increase in wind speed. Common sense knowledge for for some. Unknown territory for others.

Wayne

Thanks!

Thankfully, we won't be up on Grandfather or any other high ridges. Air temp up there was -1* at 10:00 this morning with a windchill of -30*. Sustained winds of 40mph with guests to 65mph.

It's warmed to a 0.8* up there right now: http://www.grandfather.com/current-conditions/

WILLIAM HAYES
01-18-2016, 18:32
you can get cold weather and snow into april in the southern part of the the AT especially in georgia NC and Tenn

Venchka
01-18-2016, 20:57
Thanks for the Grandfather Mountain weather link. Weather permitting, I'm talking my grandson there for his first backpacking trip. Actually, I'll be doing the packing. His load will be day hiking size.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

scrabbler
01-18-2016, 21:45

Awesome man, congrats! Profile Trail honeymoon?

JumpMaster Blaster
01-18-2016, 21:58
Congrats grizzlyadams on getting hitched!

I just came back from a quick trip to test out my cold wx gear. Low temp was 20 but I was really warm all night (surprisingly). I didn't have a campfire going, didn't use boots, and definitely didn't bring my warmest gear, but now I have a very good idea of the best warmth-to weight ratio I can achieve. Also, REI near me has winter coats & jacket on CLEARANCE (!!!). I guess they didn't realize that it's still going to be cold here for another 8 weeks.

oldwetherman
01-18-2016, 22:02
Big question for grizzlyadam.........is she a hiker?

grizzlyadam
01-18-2016, 23:51
Awesome man, congrats! Profile Trail honeymoon?

Thanks! A Profile Trail honeymoon would be quite a way to start things off this time of year. More specifically, this weekend! Ray's Weather is now saying that if things stay cold enough Friday we could be looking at over a foot of snow by Saturday morning!

grizzlyadam
01-18-2016, 23:52
Congrats grizzlyadams on getting hitched!

I just came back from a quick trip to test out my cold wx gear. Low temp was 20 but I was really warm all night (surprisingly). I didn't have a campfire going, didn't use boots, and definitely didn't bring my warmest gear, but now I have a very good idea of the best warmth-to weight ratio I can achieve. Also, REI near me has winter coats & jacket on CLEARANCE (!!!). I guess they didn't realize that it's still going to be cold here for another 8 weeks.

Thanks!

Where'd you go to test things out?

grizzlyadam
01-18-2016, 23:53
Big question for grizzlyadam.........is she a hiker?

She sure is!

She teaches at the local high school so that means summers free for hiking. We're already making plans to section the AT over a handful of summers. And, I'm hoping to get her out in the Sierras for a few weeks this summer.

Venchka
01-19-2016, 00:03
She sure is!

She teaches at the local high school so that means summers free for hiking. We're already making plans to section the AT over a handful of summers. And, I'm hoping to get her out in the Sierras for a few weeks this summer.

My granddaughter is a Senior at Watauga High. I gave her my first sleeping bag to use at Grayson Highlands. She has been 3 summers in a row. Small world.

Wayne

grizzlyadam
01-19-2016, 09:15
She sure is!

My granddaughter is a Senior at Watauga High. I gave her my first sleeping bag to use at Grayson Highlands. She has been 3 summers in a row. Small world.

Wayne

Small world indeed. My fiancée might have her in class. Grayson Highlands is such a great place. I've easily spent 200+ nights in that area over the years.

Venchka
01-19-2016, 13:34
Small world indeed. My fiancée might have her in class. Grayson Highlands is such a great place. I've easily spent 200+ nights in that area over the years.
I'm jealous. I must get up there. Your Grayson Highlands gallery is very nice.
Have fun this weekend!

Wayne

akrewson
01-19-2016, 13:45
Hi all,
NC flatlander mom of a 2014 hiker here. I know there's still a SOBO out there in the Tennessee-NC northern part, and I'm unsure he understands the snow and cold headed his way with recent forecasts.
Everyone has to hike their own hike, just wanted people to know he's out there, hoping he considers bailing/taking a break if need be.
Once a mom, always a mom, regardless of the age of the hikers.
Here's the guy:
https://twitter.com/SteveBacon1
Maybe he's on these forums somewhere, unsure of trail name.
Y'all enjoy the snow!

Venchka
01-19-2016, 13:49
Hopefully word is rapidly spreading along the trail. Folks are pretty well equipped today to get weather information. One of the few reasons to carry a Verizon equipped cell phone.
All the best to Steve and anyone else on the trail this week.

Wayne

BStrong
01-19-2016, 16:11
Have you hiked Clingmans Dome yet? If so, how difficult was it? I have climbed Mt Washington NH several times. How does Clingmans Dome compare in difficulty?

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2016, 16:37
Have you hiked Clingmans Dome yet? If so, how difficult was it? I have climbed Mt Washington NH several times. How does Clingmans Dome compare in difficulty?Other than the height of the two mountains, there's no comparison in the climb. Mt Washington is a much tougher climb; the dome is child's play...

illabelle
01-19-2016, 17:32
Have you hiked Clingmans Dome yet? If so, how difficult was it? I have climbed Mt Washington NH several times. How does Clingmans Dome compare in difficulty?

The AT through the Smokies is a ridge walk rolling up and down a bit, not particularly challenging except for the climb up to the ridgeline from Fontana or Davenport Gap. The Whites have steep deep descents between mountains and the trail is a whole lot rougher.

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2016, 09:29
The AT through the Smokies is a ridge walk rolling up and down a bit, not particularly challenging except for the climb up to the ridgeline from Fontana or Davenport Gap. The Whites have steep deep descents between mountains and the trail is a whole lot rougher.Not to mention the climb down from the GSMNP ridgeline; everyone knows it's all down hill from Clingmans Dome:D

Seriously, though... even the climb up and down GSMNP's ridgeline, it's toughest part, is easy peasy compared to the Whites and many parts of Maine, because it's basically a simple incline whereas the more rocky northern Whites require more radical stepping along with some hand use. You can get into a nice rhythm climbing up that ridgeline, not so much thru the Whites....

BTW, with respect to the Big Chill, we in Florida are feeling it, but this year has definitely been much milder than years past. I still have my Banana plant, usually dead by now. As long as we don't go below freezing it should live thru the winter... Got another freeze coming on Saturday, but hopefully that front moves on quickly and the warm ocean keeps my plant alive -- it's just way too big to cover. If it does live I do think I'll have a better chance of harvesting some :banana:banana:banana

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/Banana%20Plant/006.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/76gunner/media/Banana%20Plant/006.jpg.html)