PDA

View Full Version : Late bloomer wants to know about ladies who started hiking later in life.

kimbur96
01-18-2016, 10:40
Hello Ladies, I am 48 and just went through a bunch of major life changes in the last year. But to sum it up in s sentence I am now single and what to start trying some new things. I have car camped, and done day hikes but never any backpacking or overnight hikes, but I want to start. I do a lot of trail running here in Florida and had the chance to do a multi day run through the Colorado Rockies last August. I LOVED it out there. The mountains, the meadows, the being alone in nature it was my happy spot. So I want to start doing some multi day hikes. Looking forward to hearing your experiences and sage advice.

illabelle
01-18-2016, 11:13
Sounds like you've wasted 48 years! :)
It's never too late to get started. I'm jealous of your trip in the Rockies...someday I'll get out that way. It's still about 6 weeks till our next section hike, and another month till the one after that, and then there are more later on. I think about them and dream about them EVERY day! Can't wait!

Farr Away
01-22-2016, 15:17
I think I was 40 the first time I backpacked. As far as sage advice-
-Start slow; try an overnight first.
-Keep mileage low at first. You want to enjoy it, not decide you're never doing THAT again.
-If you can, go with someone experienced.
-Have fun!

-FarrAway

slbirdnerd
01-22-2016, 15:24
I have always hiked and used to car camp, but just started backpacking 3 years ago--and often go alone (also now single). It's amazing, and I wish I'd have discovered it earlier! Maybe find a local hiking/backpacking club, like one through Meetup.com. Check your local outfitter for classes and outings. (If you can spend, REI has a travel division and you can get out on a trip with them.) Read lots, ask questions, and best of all just start getting out there. Like Farr Away said, start small and you'll be surprised how much you learn on just a few overnights.

Here's some inspiration, maybe, or entertainment anyway: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4ZVzCitJgIFjm8kl5Dncw

One thing I did a year ago was take a NOLS Wilderness First Aid certification class. Regardless who you take it through, I recommend WFA to anyone who will be spending time in the backcountry. It's a huge confidence builder and gives you some skills to help others, and yourself.

Happy Trails!

Cfullerton
01-25-2016, 18:26
I got the bug last year at 59. Ive done almost 75 mi and loved every minute. I hike slow but Im determined. I haven't been out solo bc Im terrified of going it alone, a fear that I need to overcome.

You just have to get out there and go for it!

Z Hiker
01-25-2016, 18:59
I'm not new to backpacking, but I'm doing it a lot more now that I'm empty-nested. At 60, the most important thing has been reducing the weight of my pack. Of course, that can benefit anyone at any age. My advice would be to focus on building a lightweight kit that's within your ability and comfort level. At some point, you might need to look to some of the cottage manufacturers to help shave some pounds off your gear.

Akela
01-25-2016, 19:35
I have been hiking with the Trail Dames for a couple of years now. Only mature curvy fun ladies. Check them out in Facebook or meetup. They might have a chapter in your area. So much better than hiking along....

birdygal
01-25-2016, 22:08
I went on my first hike at 51 and my first backpacking trip I was 56. I only managed to do one overnight by myself so far

Venchka
01-25-2016, 22:26
Welcome.
Lucky you! You found the Rockies first. Go back. As often as possible.
You'll never forget your first time out west.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Blissful
01-26-2016, 11:32
I did my AT hike at age 44 and again at age 48. You are never too old, but time can affect in ways such and in your joints, etc. If this is the time for you to do a hike, do it. Just remember that out west there is elevation, hence altitude which affects your performance dramatically. Take time to acclimate.

kimbur96
01-26-2016, 22:10
Thank you everyone who replied. I have been scouting out some local trails within a couple hours drive of where i live and hope to do my first solo overnight this weekend or next depending on how soon my new Tarptent arrives. The plan is pick something only a couple miles out from the main campground so if I have to bail I could, and at worst case walk out in the night with a headlamp. I also feel a little safer overall being near but not right next to people. I'd being lying if I said I'm not scared. But part of life is preparing yourself the best you can and then facing your fears head on.

Water Rat
01-26-2016, 22:17
Thank you everyone who replied. I have been scouting out some local trails within a couple hours drive of where i live and hope to do my first solo overnight this weekend or next depending on how soon my new Tarptent arrives. The plan is pick something only a couple miles out from the main campground so if I have to bail I could, and at worst case walk out in the night with a headlamp. I also feel a little safer overall being near but not right next to people. I'd being lying if I said I'm not scared. But part of life is preparing yourself the best you can and then facing your fears head on.

Fear is okay as long as you don't let it control your life! You acknowledge it and then work on the things that are scaring you. That's how ya get stronger. :)

Set small goals in the beginning and just play with your backpacking gear. Get familiar with it. Allow yourself to just get out there and do what feels right. Take notes (mental or physical) on what works for you, what doesn't work for you, what you wish you had, and what you didn't need. Think of each trip out there as a step toward your goal. Every time you get out there, you will find that your confidence is building and your hiking & camp routines will feel more familiar. You can do it!

Riocielo
02-03-2016, 18:45
My husband and I didn't begin hiking until three years ago, I was 55. I had never in my life pitched a tent, carried a backpack or spent a night outside.

Fortunately, information is abundant. I scoured WB, I read hundreds of gear reviews and watched tons of videos. We rented gear for our first section hike, which helped a great deal. We are still learning, but one great piece of advice I heard was to write down as soon as a trip is over, what worked, what didn't and why. This helped us to tweak our equipment, and our own performances.

We also started treating time between hikes as "training time." We have no hills where we live, so we use the gym and the streets to strengthen our legs, back and core.

I agree with the previous posts. . .start out easy, have flexible plans and practice, practice, practice with your gear. Mostly, have fun! I think of the trail everyday we are not on it and plan for the "next hike" as soon as we end the last one.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

~Dynamite~
02-04-2016, 14:18
I'm 60 now and plan to thruhike in 2017. I have no backpacking experience but have done a lot of camping. Also, I think of myself as very tough. I have a farm and have done really grueling work in all kinds of weather. I am not delicate. Also, I dream big and once I set a goal, I make it happen. Physically, I am not in as good a shape as I was when I was younger. I have had both knees replaced and have had some back issues (which are resolved) but mentally, I am tough as nails. I plan to take it slow and not injure myself by doing more than I am capable of. I have been planning for years and can't wait to step on a plane bound for Atlanta!...~Dynamite~

xMagnolia
02-04-2016, 15:01
I decided hanging in a hammock was the best way to make sure I could hike the second day. Sleeping on the ground wasn't going to work for my older, out of shape body. I joined the hammockforums and have been to a group hang & hike and also met up w/ another hanging stranger for an overnight hike. I wanted to try my gear and fortitude in the cold rain, but wasn't ready to do it on my own. If anybody is in Alabama and wants to hike slow, give me a buzz!

charlotte

Saigirl
02-16-2016, 12:11
I love your attitude Dynamite! We are kindred spirits! I will turn 60 on my hike this year. To celebrate my fitness and myself, doing a hike thru on the PCT this year. I feel my strongest ever and will address many fears this trip! I love your "I'm tough as nails!" Me too! Ha! Wanna go? :)

DuneElliot
02-16-2016, 12:54
I'm a little late to backpacking also, but a few years earlier than you. I have hiked and packed a lot with horses, and spent a lot of time and hundreds of nights in the backcountry in a tent so it's not new to me...just the pack carrying.

I am very lucky to live in Wyoming and have access to some of the best hiking (and riding) country in the US. I have a few week-long trips this year and then the CT next summer, hopefully followed by the PCT in 2018. I find walking and hiking to be therapeutic and did a lot when I was younger.

I saw your other thread about getting your new Tarptent. Looks like it is working out well for you. I just ordered a ZPacks Duplex which I hope I like as much in hand as I do online! Their packs are awesome.

swjohnsey
02-16-2016, 13:00
Y'all need to google Grandma Gatewood.

Riocielo
02-16-2016, 18:55
Or read "Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail" by Ben Montgomery

scottpash
02-16-2016, 19:01
+1 on Grandma Gatewood I have a few more pages to finish Great Book

Water Rat
02-16-2016, 19:04
Another great book is "In Beauty May She Walk," by Leslie Mass. She hiked the trail at the age of 59.

http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-May-She-Walk-Appalachian/dp/1889386626/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455663728&sr=1-1&keywords=in+beauty+may+she+walk

Miel
02-25-2016, 09:34
I'm 60 now and plan to thruhike in 2017. I have no backpacking experience but have done a lot of camping. Also, I think of myself as very tough. I have a farm and have done really grueling work in all kinds of weather. I am not delicate. Also, I dream big and once I set a goal, I make it happen. Physically, I am not in as good a shape as I was when I was younger. I have had both knees replaced and have had some back issues (which are resolved) but mentally, I am tough as nails. I plan to take it slow and not injure myself by doing more than I am capable of. I have been planning for years and can't wait to step on a plane bound for Atlanta!...~Dynamite~

I have been hiking for almost 40 years, but will be 61 (if not somewhat older) when I do my first thru-hike. I want child to be finished with college first (in case she needs me), and need to get in more shape for a thru-hike, and to save money, and raise money for NGOs that promote the welfare of a certain animal. As time gets closer to the hike, I'll also need to work things out with physician and pharmacies along the way for diabetes and other meds. Right now, back home, I can only get a three-month subscription, and I guarantee you it will take me more than three months to do the thru-hike. (I don't want to leave the trail, fly home for an appointment, fly back in the middle of the hike).

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 16:08
thats awesome! I have been backpacking for awhile now but I like you am having a NEW CHAPTER ... and honestly my kids, friends and backpacking it what is keeping me strong. grandma gatewood is who a movie SHOULD be made after she Finished the Trail a few times (not to dog the others who have movies made after them but it is funny that neither of the people who have movies made after them finished there trail) if you haven't read the book please do you will enjoy it!

DuneElliot
03-01-2016, 16:11
thats awesome! I have been backpacking for awhile now but I like you am having a NEW CHAPTER ... and honestly my kids, friends and backpacking it what is keeping me strong. grandma gatewood is who a movie SHOULD be made after she Finished the Trail a few times (not to dog the others who have movies made after them but it is funny that neither of the people who have movies made after them finished there trail) if you haven't read the book please do you will enjoy it!

I think that would be a great movies, but in defense of Cheryl Strayed, she did complete the section she set out to do...she never intended to hike the entire thing from end to end.

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 16:41
That is true, and point taken ... :)

blhiggins
03-01-2016, 17:02

Well, we DID do a documentary about Grandma Gatewood! Check out the schedule of where you can see one of our programs about her at http://www.edenvalleyenterprises.org/progdesc/gatewood/gatewoodcalendar.htm -- Hope you can catch it!

JumpMaster Blaster
03-05-2016, 13:34
Y'all need to google Grandma Gatewood.

First off, your post comes of as pretty dismissive and demeaning. Do you hike with the same gear Earl Shaffer & Myron Avery and all the other old timers from the 70s hiked with?

Secondly, (and most importantly) why do you feel compelled to comment on a question on the Female Hiking Forum? That, and your tone, is not helpful at all.

Little
03-06-2016, 16:05
Hey Kimbur,

Welcome to backpacking. I see we both have a love for running and being in nature. I just starting backpacking the end of 2014 after coming back from a family reunion in Vermont where my Aunt introduced me to hiking. I was immediately hooked. I see that we both live in Florida maybe you would like to do some hiking on the Florida trail together.

glaux
03-06-2016, 23:05
Trail Dames are a great group with several chapters. You also might check out meetup.com to see if there are other outdoors groups in your area. My first couple backpacking trips were with a local adventuring group, so I had the security of having some folks there while I tried out all my gear.

It turns out I'd managed to self-teach most of the skills I needed, so I didn't learn that much from the group, but it was good training wheels.

kimbur96
03-07-2016, 08:50
Hey Kimbur,

Welcome to backpacking. I see we both have a love for running and being in nature. I just starting backpacking the end of 2014 after coming back from a family reunion in Vermont where my Aunt introduced me to hiking. I was immediately hooked. I see that we both live in Florida maybe you would like to do some hiking on the Florida trail together.
Hi Little, That would be great. I just spent the weekend up at Dupuis Preserve. Did about 10 miles (out and back) on the Florida Scenic Trail as it goes right through the Dupuis area in Indiantown.

katyk
03-08-2016, 15:12
I'm doing my first AT hike the last weekend in April. I've done a lot of camping over night and a lot of hike but never the two together. I am 49 and am doing this right before my 50th birthday. I am looking forward to this. Learn as much as you can before heading out especially how you will sleep. I need some comfort and have paired down my pack accordingly so I can sleep comfortable.

BonBon
03-10-2016, 08:32
Hi- I hiked the trail last year, started at age 51 and celebrated my 52 birthday on the trail. People keep referring to me as an "older" hiker, which always surprises me. I'm old? Wow. When did that happen! There are many benefits to being young and strong- you hike fast, you have lots more people your age to hang out with, etc. But the advantage of being an "older" hiker is that we can afford more luxury in town more often, if we decide we need that. No apology or shame for wanting a real bed every 10 days or so.Also, "older" hikers tend to wash our backpacks more often. That really helps keep the stank down. "Older" hikers have a much longer playlist of memories in our heads and never have to go into reverie reruns. When hiking, you will remember almost everything you ever forgot. I never felt old on the trail. I always felt young and free!

colorado_rob
03-10-2016, 10:33
I just found out this was a ladies forum when I clicked the thread, but since I clicked in, I'll put in my 2 cents since this sounds like my wife, and she won't post on here....
She (my wife) and I are both on 2nd marriages, and she started into this stuff right about at your age (48) ten years ago, and totally fell in love with it, and has never looked back.
At 58, she simply cannot get enough of it. She grew up in CO, but basically raised her two daughters by herself and didn't have spare time so previously never got into this kind of stuff. When her kids were through college and independent, that's when she "discovered" hiking and backpacking (and climbing, and kayaking and canyoneering, etc, etc). We basically met "on the trail" (a climb actually, but same thing) and now this stuff is our primary activity, and will be until we physically can't.
BTW: we swapped a couple PM's a while ago because you are looking at moving to the CO springs area... If you do move out here, anywhere in the state, check out the Colorado Mountain Club. they are very active all along the front range, including CO Springs. Go to "cmc.org" and poke around.
Tons of outdoor courses from basic trekking and backpacking to high altitude mountaineering and ice climbing, you name it, even fly fishing and outdoor photography. Every day will have multiple outings somewhere, year 'round, weekends in prime season will have a couple dozen outings. But the main benefit of being active in the CMC is all the like-minded folks you'd meet. The total state-wide club membership is pushing 10,000. And finally, FWIW, my wife and I met in the CMC (on a Kilimanjaro climb; the club also leads dozens of international trips a year). Some call the CMC the Colorado Mating Club....

kimbur96
03-10-2016, 10:39
I just found out this was a ladies forum when I clicked the thread, but since I clicked in, I'll put in my 2 cents since this sounds like my wife, and she won't post on here....
She (my wife) and I are both on 2nd marriages, and she started into this stuff right about at your age (48) ten years ago, and totally fell in love with it, and has never looked back.
At 58, she simply cannot get enough of it. She grew up in CO, but basically raised her two daughters by herself and didn't have spare time so previously never got into this kind of stuff. When her kids were through college and independent, that's when she "discovered" hiking and backpacking (and climbing, and kayaking and canyoneering, etc, etc). We basically met "on the trail" (a climb actually, but same thing) and now this stuff is our primary activity, and will be until we physically can't.
BTW: we swapped a couple PM's a while ago because you are looking at moving to the CO springs area... If you do move out here, anywhere in the state, check out the Colorado Mountain Club. they are very active all along the front range, including CO Springs. Go to "cmc.org" and poke around.
Tons of outdoor courses from basic trekking and backpacking to high altitude mountaineering and ice climbing, you name it, even fly fishing and outdoor photography. Every day will have multiple outings somewhere, year 'round, weekends in prime season will have a couple dozen outings. But the main benefit of being active in the CMC is all the like-minded folks you'd meet. The total state-wide club membership is pushing 10,000. And finally, FWIW, my wife and I met in the CMC (on a Kilimanjaro climb; the club also leads dozens of international trips a year). Some call the CMC the Colorado Mating Club....

Thank you for the insight and tips. I'm still looking to relocate only now there is a possibility of doing it this summer instead of next. Very exciting. I will definitely look up the CMC sounds like a great way to meet people sine I won't know anyone there. Thanks Bob!

Lnj
03-10-2016, 16:08
I am 43 and my husband is retired Army. He has had roadmarch experience, which he deems even harder than backpacking, with all the new gear options and stuff. I had never so much as slept in a tent in my life until about 2 years ago, but once I was out in the woods, I was addicted. Now I spend every weekend I can on a trail somewhere "in training". My husband and I will be section hiking, as we cannot take enough time off to do a full thru. We plan to start the GA section SOBO at the end of May. The more I study, the more I am sure we will not make it to Amicalola in the 9 days we are giving ourselves, but no matter. We will go slow and do what we can do each day and get as far as we can get, but most importantly, we will be out there doing it and having a blast! Can't wait.

I have found that the age range of AT hikers seems to be the high school/college/first time real job age of early to mid 20s and then retirement age. Not too terribly many people out there that are in the life building/family starting/mortgage and career responsibilities age range at all. So it seems if you missed the early shift (like I did), then you are just in time for the late shift. :)

Do your homework, be careful and have fun. Nothing will make you feel like the rock star you are more than when you make your fears shut up and sit down.

DuneElliot
03-10-2016, 17:08
I have found that the age range of AT hikers seems to be the high school/college/first time real job age of early to mid 20s and then retirement age. Not too terribly many people out there that are in the life building/family starting/mortgage and career responsibilities age range at all. So it seems if you missed the early shift (like I did), then you are just in time for the late shift. :)

I think the same goes for the PCT. I'm going to be part of the rare middle group at 39 when I start. I never was much into the home ownership/family/career goal.

locomotion
03-10-2016, 21:59
I got the bug last year at 59. Ive done almost 75 mi and loved every minute. I hike slow but Im determined. I haven't been out solo bc Im terrified of going it alone, a fear that I need to overcome.

You just have to get out there and go for it!

Yeah I think that attitude and determination are most important and not age. My sister and I are 60+ and have decided to hike the GA section of the AT in May. We've been hiking daily to get ready and hiking with a local group. I do need to do an overnighter though so let me know if you hike up this way in FL. We're also looking for other women hikers going N on the AT in GA in May.

Miel
03-11-2016, 09:14
Hi- I hiked the trail last year, started at age 51 and celebrated my 52 birthday on the trail. People keep referring to me as an "older" hiker, which always surprises me. I'm old? Wow. When did that happen! There are many benefits to being young and strong- you hike fast, you have lots more people your age to hang out with, etc. But the advantage of being an "older" hiker is that we can afford more luxury in town more often, if we decide we need that. No apology or shame for wanting a real bed every 10 days or so.Also, "older" hikers tend to wash our backpacks more often. That really helps keep the stank down. "Older" hikers have a much longer playlist of memories in our heads and never have to go into reverie reruns. When hiking, you will remember almost everything you ever forgot. I never felt old on the trail. I always felt young and free!

As a 50-something woman, I don't know you, but I love you. :)

Smoky Spoon
03-17-2016, 00:32
Oh Jump....roflmao.....haven't you heard? They always comment on here! And you will be labeled a man hating you know what for even questioning why a man would consider commenting on a female forum...Trust me....been there, done that....

Sign me...the last female to do what you just did and was labeled a man hating -----

I think you and I are going to be great friends.....love your quote....remember it from Wild.

You go girl.

First off, your post comes of as pretty dismissive and demeaning. Do you hike with the same gear Earl Shaffer & Myron Avery and all the other old timers from the 70s hiked with?

Secondly, (and most importantly) why do you feel compelled to comment on a question on the Female Hiking Forum? That, and your tone, is not helpful at all.

Smoky Spoon
03-17-2016, 00:33
I agree! Love her spirit....and no fifty is not old....

Sign me....turning 49 this June when on the trail.

As a 50-something woman, I don't know you, but I love you. :)

Smoky Spoon
03-17-2016, 00:38
This is true, have the book, read it twice and loved it both times....

She really had a hard time but she never let it ruin her spirit....she was tough...keeping up with that young marine as long as she did.

In all seriousness, it is an inspiring book.

Another great book is "In Beauty May She Walk," by Leslie Mass. She hiked the trail at the age of 59.

http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-May-She-Walk-Appalachian/dp/1889386626/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455663728&sr=1-1&keywords=in+beauty+may+she+walk

Smoky Spoon
03-17-2016, 00:41
Hoorah! Retired here as well.....please tell your husband thank you for his service.

I love your attitude on here, it is refreshing. But more than anything, your signature quote totally rocks!

I am 43 and my husband is retired Army. He has had roadmarch experience, which he deems even harder than backpacking, with all the new gear options and stuff. I had never so much as slept in a tent in my life until about 2 years ago, but once I was out in the woods, I was addicted. Now I spend every weekend I can on a trail somewhere "in training". My husband and I will be section hiking, as we cannot take enough time off to do a full thru. We plan to start the GA section SOBO at the end of May. The more I study, the more I am sure we will not make it to Amicalola in the 9 days we are giving ourselves, but no matter. We will go slow and do what we can do each day and get as far as we can get, but most importantly, we will be out there doing it and having a blast! Can't wait.

Do your homework, be careful and have fun. Nothing will make you feel like the rock star you are more than when you make your fears shut up and sit down.

mitch
04-30-2016, 20:11
I took my sister on her first backpacking trip last fall . I'm 62 she is 63. We did 30 mi. Standing Indian loop, including a very stout climb up Albert mt. She did great and has started buying gear. Go for it.

gypsyheart
05-27-2016, 15:15
I didn't start until I was 58!

mares155
05-29-2016, 23:47
i started at 58, walked for 80miles before i had to leave over what turned out to be a minor back injury. i had some foot pain, but im ready to go back. be on the trail God willing on June 1st.

shelb
06-08-2016, 23:49
I started hiking 10 years ago when I randomly won a backpack!

The following weekend, I went out with my husband and kids. I haven't looked back since!

In fact, I put on way more miles than any of the kids or the hubby!

DLP
06-09-2016, 11:53
I went on my first backpacking trip about the time that Bill Bryson's book came out about 1998. My sister and I both read it and she declared that we had to go for a walk in the woods. I was 40 and she was 39.

I got two external backpacks for $5 (for BOTH!) from Thrift Town. And we squashed car camping sleeping bags in there and stuff we might need for overnight.
We went out for one night in Big Basin. I loved it. My sister... not so much. Unfortunately, neither did my husband, nor my son.

Over the next 14 years, I managed to force my husband and son on a few overnight trips to Angel Island (in the middle of San Francisco Bay) or Yosemite or Pt. Reyes.
I really wanted to go out more, but it never really occurred to me that I could go by myself. I had always had thought of backpacking as something you did with other people.

In 2011, I was hiking Mission Peak (elevation gain 2000 ft in 3 miles) here in town and was taking a break on the most difficult of the 3 trails. This tiny, elderly, Japanese woman, wearing a "trail volunteer" vest, comes trotting up and sits down next to me. We are talking and she tells me that she is 79 and just finished the JMT starting at Onion Valley and ending in Yosemite.

Our conversation went like:
Sako: I just finished the JMT. My husband picked me up in Yosemite.
Me/Denise: He didn't go with you on the trip?
S: Oh no. He is too old and frail!
D: You went alone!?!?!
S: Well yes, I did. (But she said it with a tone like, "It's just walking. It is no big deal.")
D: Wow. My husband would never go for that.
S: Why? Because you are so young and pretty? (She actually said that... I was 53 and stinky sweaty, gross... and I look like I've been out for 3 weeks, even on day hikes.)
D: Ummmmm... okay... Let's say that is the reason. Sure. We'll go with that.

So, the next summer, I decide I'm going out, while I'm still "young and pretty" since I will only be getting older with every passing year. I went on a solo 9 night 90 mile trip on the Tahoe Rim Trail and had a blast. I took the same external frame backpack I had gotten for $2.50. (It is on the ground, next to me... in my photo.)

My husband wanted me to go on the TRT Thru Hike (which is now $1700, but was "only" $1200 back in 2012). https://www.tahoerimtrail.org/index.php/events-and-programs/hiking-programs/thru-hikes I had been on a TRT Women's over night trip and I knew that I did not want to be confined to a group for two weeks. And I also thought it was really dumb to pay over $1,000 to have people walk with me.

He offered my son $1,000 to go with me... but my son didn't want to go backpacking for 10 days, not for love nor money. He wanted me to find strangers on the internet to go with me. I didn't know about WhiteBlaze, plus.... Really? You want me to find weirdos on the internet to sleep with me in the forest for 10 days? Seriously? Since I didn't know where to find backpacking internet weirdos, I went by myself.

The only bad part was that my SPOT worked on the Mt. Rose Hwy... and never worked again. My husband was texting me like crazy, saying, "Please stop! Please come home!". I wore out my phone battery texting back, "No. I'm fine!" (I had TONS of phone reception on the East side of the lake. You can see Reno and Carson from much of the trail.) When I had no more phone battery, I gave day hikers my husband's phone number and asked them to call and say that they had seen me and I was fine. And this method actually worked really well. :)

Only other bad thing was that I had so many blisters. It was horrible. But, I figured it out.

But anyway, I called my husband from South Lake Tahoe and said, "You have to stop texting me and telling me stop. I'm having soooo much fun!!!" But he had a hard time understanding me since I was sobbing and hiccuping and snotting. :)

In the end, my sister thought I was bad-ass and she gave backpacking a second try at the age of 54. And she loves it. We both go out about 30 days a year, now. Sometimes together, and sometimes solo.

Oh... I was also mistaken for a homeless person. By a homeless person. Guy offered to let me sleep under a big rig with him in South Lake Tahoe (Ewww!). And after that, my husband bought me a new backpack. :)

He is still freaked that I go out alone, but not freaked enough to go with me. And I keep returning back home, so he is getting used to it.

Lnj
06-09-2016, 12:28
DLP... such an inspiring story! Thank you for sharing. My husband will never let me go alone, not even on a day hike. He is concerned that I will fall (which in truth, has happened a few times lately to no real detriment to my body) or get really injured and no one will be there to help me. Thing is, he goes with me, but honestly hates it. I mean sometimes he enjoys a good day hike, but the overnights he tolerates for my sake. I have tried and tried to convince him, to no avail yet. I will keep trying. I think I would enjoy it SOOO much more if I was all by myself. I just like to look around and appreciate everything my eyes can take in....this sometimes leads to falling down and scraping a knee, but anywho...He likes to push through the pain and keep moving... it's the Army coming out in him. He is on a mission and I am on a walkabout. It means we usually fuss the whole time. not really fighting or arguing, but him constantly saying we need to go and looking at his watch and getting that look on his face and me constantly saying I have to stop and catch my breath and I'm not in any hurry. It truly takes a lot of the joy out of it for me. The only scary part of it for me would be the nights. However... ear plugs or an ipod with earbuds is the answer to that! Just can't hear all the wildlife scurrying around me and fall asleep.

Thanks for your post.

DLP
06-10-2016, 14:32
My husband will never let me go alone, not even on a day hike. He is concerned that I will fall (which in truth, has happened a few times lately to no real detriment to my body) or get really injured and no one will be there to help me. I've also fallen. I think that it is a fairly universal experience. I actually fall much less when I'm alone, as I am super careful. I fall and get lost more with other people as we end up distracting each other.

I've also learned that I am not good at multitasking and I don't eat or adjust my backpack or often really don't look around while walking. My worst fall was in Yosemite and came around a corner to a breathtaking view and exactly at that moment a tree root reached up and grabbed my foot and threw me to the ground. Now I sing this song to myself about watching for rocks, roots, etc and don't fa-fa-fa-fa-fall. This works really well.

Maybe a meet up group would work for you? I recommended it to another woman on this site, and it worked really well for her. (Disclaimer... I have no personal experience...). We have local Women's backpacking and hiking meetup groups http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Backpacking-Women/ , but I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area with 9+ million people. My sister has also gone on several snowshoe trips via meetup. I went on a couple of trips sponsored by the TRT and really enjoyed it. They were super relaxing trips as groups of beginning backpackers often move at a slower pace (in part, cuz they bring Costco bags of trail mix and whole rolls of TP on over night trips. :) )

Worst case... keep dragging your husband along. :)

LisaB
06-10-2016, 19:15
DLP-Thank you for posting your story. I'm about to venture out on my first solo hike on the AT. I have gone with my hiking partner and friend for overnight trips on the AT for the last 3 years, but she can't do it this time. I am actually looking forward to hiking my own hike. I have only told a few people that I am hiking solo as when I mention it to well-intentioned friends they beg me not to do it! Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for posting your story.:)

DLP
06-11-2016, 12:49
You are welcome! Glad it was helpful. Actually, the person who is the inspiration is the tiny, Japanese lady who sat next to me! :)

Have a great trip!

baybedolls
07-29-2016, 17:44
hiked a lot when younger getting back into it now that kids are out LOL I'm 46 and loving it ..I have a husband that worries too and he does go with me some times but mostly it is me and my dog Lou I want to do a overnight / week before the summer is over

baybedolls
07-29-2016, 17:46
hiked a lot when younger getting back into it now that kids are out LOL I'm 45 this yr and loving it ..I have a husband that worries too and he does go with me some times but mostly it is me and my dog Lou I want to do a overnight / week before the summer is over

Kcbohn
08-02-2016, 23:29
I had day hiked and camped my entire life. At 46, my sister and I while on a Maine vacation, said to our husbands, "We should hike on the Appalachian Trail". Their response? "That'll never happen". Well, we have completed two sections. At 47, I did 23 miles into Harper's Ferry. This year at 48, we started at Harper's and did 45 miles into Pennsylvania. Both times, we said that we wished we had done more. Next year, our goal is to complete Shenandoah...107 miles. I wish we had started much sooner in life! It's very addicting!

Bear Cables
09-22-2016, 22:51
Started at age 42 now 62...still going.

Miss.Entropy
01-04-2018, 13:42
Hello Ladies, I am 48 and just went through a bunch of major life changes in the last year. But to sum it up in s sentence I am now single and what to start trying some new things. I have car camped, and done day hikes but never any backpacking or overnight hikes, but I want to start. I do a lot of trail running here in Florida and had the chance to do a multi day run through the Colorado Rockies last August. I LOVED it out there. The mountains, the meadows, the being alone in nature it was my happy spot. So I want to start doing some multi day hikes. Looking forward to hearing your experiences and sage advice.

I am an avid runner, but didn't appreciate the sublime joys of the hiking trail until about eight years ago on a 14-day trek in the Himalayas. I did a few shorter hikes in the following years around Europe. I'm now 58 and setting my sights on the AT -- planning to leave Nobo March 2020. I'll be 60. Can't wait to meet some other "older" (only in the chronological sense) women as we make our way north. I really enjoy the solidarity and sisterhood of my previous hikes. Sure the AT will be even better.

Goldielocs
01-08-2018, 15:02
Hi Blissful,
I decided to take up backpacking in order to celebrate my 50th birth year by section hiking the AT. I have lots of questions if you would be willing to answer.
1) what are absolute must haves in your backpack while hiking the AT? I know it can be very wet. I have rain pants and jacket, but should I consider a poncho? I am also curious about the amount of clothes and kinds. I saw a video about the 13 essentials, but it was really geared towards men and I am not sure if there is any difference with women.
2) suggestions for 4 day and 7 day hike amounts of food. Again, I have seen advice for men, but do you have any suggestions for women who may have a different caloric requirement.
3) Besides actual hiking and backpacking, do you have any suggestions for strength and endurance training prior to a trip?
4) How much does the weather ie rain.. effect one's ability to get mileage in? I am trying to do an average of 10 miles a day.. some days a little less, some days a little more.. the most is 13.
5) Are there any concerns I should have, as a woman, on the trail? I have already started taking estrogen (ie birth control) to stop my menstrual cycle just for this year.. I can't imagine having my period on the trail.. uggh. I have mace and a knife which I think is sufficient for self defense.
Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

RuthAnn
01-13-2018, 16:17
I’m 54 and plan to section hike this spring for about 4-6 weeks. This will be my first time for anything like this, so excited.

Indy Pendance
01-17-2018, 15:37
I'm 59 and planning my first thru-hike for March. It's scary and exciting at the same time.

mtngoat01
01-17-2018, 17:05
Hi Blissful,
I decided to take up backpacking in order to celebrate my 50th birth year by section hiking the AT. I have lots of questions if you would be willing to answer.
1) what are absolute must haves in your backpack while hiking the AT? I know it can be very wet. I have rain pants and jacket, but should I consider a poncho? I am also curious about the amount of clothes and kinds. I saw a video about the 13 essentials, but it was really geared towards men and I am not sure if there is any difference with women.
2) suggestions for 4 day and 7 day hike amounts of food. Again, I have seen advice for men, but do you have any suggestions for women who may have a different caloric requirement.
3) Besides actual hiking and backpacking, do you have any suggestions for strength and endurance training prior to a trip?
4) How much does the weather ie rain.. effect one's ability to get mileage in? I am trying to do an average of 10 miles a day.. some days a little less, some days a little more.. the most is 13.
5) Are there any concerns I should have, as a woman, on the trail? I have already started taking estrogen (ie birth control) to stop my menstrual cycle just for this year.. I can't imagine having my period on the trail.. uggh. I have mace and a knife which I think is sufficient for self defense.
Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

Long post alert!!!

I can answer many of your questions and it looks like no one has addressed them directly so far.

-Side note: I do hike with my bf (we have hiked together for 20 years now) so the links to my gear list reflect that we share some gear

1. The most important things you can have in your pack are the LIGHTEST gear that fits in your budget and can keep you safe. There are some aspects of going UL that cost more but there are also plenty of options to save too. When purchasing your gear you should expect to spend more money on your quilt/sleeping bag, shelter and backpack (aka the big 3). Those three items are the basis of your safety and trail comfort.

Gear that goes out with you will depend upon the section itself, the time of year and expected weather. I will include a few gear list links that you can use for starters. With all that said don’t let gear bog you down or keep you from going out. As you get more accustomed to Trail life you will find things that work better or stuff you want to trade out. I love thinking about gear..I’m an admitted gram weenie BUT I also know that the lighter the pack in itself is a form of safety, especially on tough climbs, slippery rocks and long mile days.

Here is a link to a post from my Long Trail thru from this year. There are links to our gear lists there.

2017 SOBO Long Trail Trip Report (Sept 12-Oct 4)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24664&share_tid=127347&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhiteblaze%2Enet%2Fforum%2 Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D127347&share_type=t

Here is a good 13 lb base weight gear list that you can find at any good outfitter:

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=43697

You can use these as a reference for what items you need for a section hike. Also while this list is lightweight, it can easily become UL by making a few of your gear purchases from cottage vendors to get lighter.

Another important point for gear is none of it matters if you don’t know how to use it. So practice practice practice...in your back yard, on an overnight trip, multiple night trips...get to know your gear. Sleep in your back yard in 20 degree weather or set up your shelter in the rain and then sleep there. It is the best way to figure out in a safe environment what works and what doesn’t.

2. Food and calories...it’s a broad topic that I can only really comment from my own perspective but I have spent a long time dialing in food amounts and choices. Much will depend on how you intend on getting food during your section hike. I have been making and dehydrating our hike meals since our AT thru hike in 2001. I love everything about preparing our meals. I wrote a lengthy post about some resources I have used here:

Just about at 20lbs!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24664&share_tid=124134&share_pid=2143410&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhiteblaze%2Enet%2Fforum%2 Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D2143410&share_type=t

There is also info in there about making food choices in town. Don’t sweat the calories and eat more healthful items than junk both on trail and in town. You are likely to always be in a deficit but that is what town is for!

When I thru hiked the AT I was 25 and at that age I could eat both on trail and in town all the bad stuff and still be ok. We had our dehydrated dinners but I’m talking about everything else...yes pop tarts I’m looking right at you. As I continued hiking AND getting older I hit a point where quality was WAY more important than quantity. About 10 years ago I realized hat food did nothing for me on Trail. I was eating and hitting a wall. I went to a good mix of healthy and calories and now I can hike longer and stronger because my body gets what it needs on trail. Now our food is so dialed in I know that I need to carry 1.25 to 1.35 lbs per day of the right food and I will not be hungry (relatively...I mean it is hiking) and I will not carry too much food either.

3. Pre hike fitness - I would recommend walking. Get to where you can easily walk 5 miles a day several days a week. Cross train too, so make sure you are doing strengthening exercises. Focus on glutes, core, ankle and of course the other big leg muscles. Balance is important too. Of course yoga can help here, but spend time on exercises that work on the stability for ankles and the lower leg. There are a lot of ankle biter type rocks and roots on the AT.

4. Weather and rain...they will happen. You will get wet. You will get soaked all the way to your underwear. It’s not all bad though...it’s a free shower! Rain can be hard to deal with I’m not going to lie. If it’s hot then less of a problem but cold and rain is something you have to be mentally and physically prepared for. This goes back to knowing your gear and understanding what circumstances to use that gear. It can affect your miles per day. I my experience rain has caused me to do 5 miles and it has also made me choose to do over 30 miles. Always listen to your body...hypothermia can happen at much higher temps than people expect. But mostly if it is raining I just do the miles I have planned for that day except I’m just wet while doing them. Don’t let it worry you too much.

5. Being a woman on trail. As I stated before I do have a hiking partner so I can’t full comment on solo experience as a woman but don’t let it bog you down too much. I have met SO MANY solo hikers who happen to be women. Especially on the AT there is a community and people look out for one another. You will meet people out there of all types. There may be some that creep you out but that is SUCH the exception on trail. Be vigilant not fearful. You will love your time on the trail and the people you meet can potentially be one of the best parts about hiking the AT.

Periods on trail...they can be a hassle but it’s ok. It’s not that big of a deal. If you are in birth control that suppresses your periods (Yasmin continuously for example = 4 periods a year) that’s great. You will be glad not to deal with it, but if not don’t worry. There is a lot of good info on this very forum (lady specific forum) about all the ways to handle your period on trail.

I hope this helps...I know it is long. If you want more specific advice about a topic post a new thread an you will get answers from all the sides you can imagine.

Above all...just do it! Go hike your dream trail.

MtnGoat

Smurph7
03-11-2018, 19:11
Started backpacking at 42, now 45. I am having the best time. My background is in healthcare (got first aid down) and Committee Chair for Boy Scouts (and all that training). My son is an Eagle Scout. (proud mom) We camp a lot and hike. My niece came to me (she was starting her senior year of high school) after reading Wild and asked to thru hike the AT. I said to her since she had college starting the next year and I was going to have to start paying for college the year after (for out son), I suggested we section hike. So far we have completed 70 miles (GA) and will be on the trail this Sunday (3/18) thru Tuesday (3/20). We will be going from Dick's Creek (Ga Hwy 78) thru Winding Stair Gap (NC Hwy 64) around 40 miles. My daughter has done most this with us, but she has school since she is a junior in high school. We are having a girls only in June adding my daughter's best friend and my son's girlfriend. We hike at a pace of 2 miles an hour and are very consistent. We don't try and push that and if need be go slow. We hike between 30 - 40 miles in 2-3 days. Good luck.

Erinswan
07-16-2019, 09:01
Congrats on finding a passion in life. Better late than never! Happy hiking!

LD071I
12-19-2019, 21:42
I worked full time for over 32 years. So I’m a late bloomer in the hiking world. I love day hiking and have done several car camping. I would like to try a long distance hike. I’m a little nervous about sleeping outside on my own.

Traffic Jam
12-19-2019, 22:07
I worked full time for over 32 years. So I’m a late bloomer in the hiking world. I love day hiking and have done several car camping. I would like to try a long distance hike. I’m a little nervous about sleeping outside on my own.
Go for it! You can do it!

JNI64
12-20-2019, 00:27

I didn't start hiking as a new hobby until I was 45. And started out with all heavy Walmart stuff didn't know what the heck I was doing. My first section was Harper's ferry to penmar park. I was nervous about sleeping and being by myself,but you get used to it after a few days . I've since hiked 800miles of the AT , hiked Vermont, Colorado, Massachusetts this year ,all solo. And even nowadays some places make me a little uneasy at night out there in the middle of nowhere by yourself. But yeah just do it you'll be so proud of yourself. Take a good bright light and a dog if you don't have 1 burrow 1.

JNI64
12-20-2019, 00:35
Sorry y'all don't be mad at me please I just seen op was looking for late blooming ladies to respond not late blooming man. Apologies.

Grampie
12-20-2019, 11:55
When I thru-hiked I was amazed by the amount of older woman I met on the trail. I'm talking about woman in the 40 to 60 year old bracket.

Slo-go'en
12-20-2019, 12:58
When I thru-hiked I was amazed by the amount of older woman I met on the trail. I'm talking about woman in the 40 to 60 year old bracket.

Yea, and they can hike you into the ground and leave you in the dust.

danil411
12-20-2019, 17:58
I have actually been thinking of starting a side business for people (especially women) who are looking to get into backpacking in middle age but may not want a large group experience or may just need some personal virtual help (gear, trip planning, etc) beyond the books, youtube videos and this forum (all good sources).

A number of divorcees and empty nesters ask me about hiking/backpacking as part of their journeys to rediscover themselves as individuals. I come from a sedentary family and I taught myself enough to successfully complete my AT thru hike at age 42. I want to share the joy, healing, and health that come from hiking and backpacking. And of course the humility as I continue my own backpacking learning journey!

Some good advice on this thread. I would add for anybody starting out that you want to keep your variables to a minimum each trip--set 1 or 2 goals to accomplish--maybe 1 test 1 piece of gear and 1 new physical barrier. Car camping is a good way to limit your variables/have a backup plan.

Believe in yourselves--you can do this!

~Dimples-AT 2013

QuietStorm
12-23-2019, 11:23
I started hiking the AT in June, 2016 at the age of 57. I've hiked 2,003.8 miles since then, and actually 2, 881.3 miles if you count all my repeats and shakedowns. Most of the hikes have been on weekends since I'm not retired. Let's just say I know I-81 extremely well (and the 'best dang barbeque' at exit 205 is really, really good). I hike mostly solo although I generally camp at or near shelters for the water and for company. I hike all year around--the coldest it's been was -15 degrees at Rice Field shelter in VA. The warmest, 102 degrees at Tumbling Run shelter in PA. I've changed gear I don't know how many times--if something doesn't work, I sell it and try something else. I guess that's the downside (or upside) of being a section hiker. I've pretty much settled on being a full-time hammock camper. I like tents but haven't found one that suits me in terms of weight, space, durability, and ease of setup. I love running into women my age on the trail. There are so many of us out there and many much more experienced than I am.

GlitterHiker
01-01-2020, 16:48
I started hiking the AT in June, 2016 at the age of 57. I've hiked 2,003.8 miles since then, and actually 2, 881.3 miles if you count all my repeats and shakedowns. Most of the hikes have been on weekends since I'm not retired. Let's just say I know I-81 extremely well (and the 'best dang barbeque' at exit 205 is really, really good). I hike mostly solo although I generally camp at or near shelters for the water and for company. I hike all year around--the coldest it's been was -15 degrees at Rice Field shelter in VA. The warmest, 102 degrees at Tumbling Run shelter in PA. I've changed gear I don't know how many times--if something doesn't work, I sell it and try something else. I guess that's the downside (or upside) of being a section hiker. I've pretty much settled on being a full-time hammock camper. I like tents but haven't found one that suits me in terms of weight, space, durability, and ease of setup. I love running into women my age on the trail. There are so many of us out there and many much more experienced than I am.

Do you have a blog, or Facebook page, or Instagram account where you share your adventures? I'm in Maryland too; 63 yr old; I do lots of day-hikes but want to hike the MD section of the AT.

Shimmy
04-15-2020, 20:22
I thought I would throw a little love to this thread, being that I didn't start backpacking recreationally until I was 48 and didn't do my first solo hike until I was 50. I'm hoping to be part of the class of 2021 with a flip flop hike at age 54.

Regards,

Shimmy

Average Hiker
04-28-2020, 11:08
I have been hiking and backpacking for a long time, and love seeing these conversations. I'm 52 now and backpack every chance I get. There is a lot of good advice on this forum. Check with local outfitters, and REI is a great resource if you have one near you. They offer clinics and trips. It is a good way to meet other women in your area with similar interests. Hiking clubs like the AMC, and local hiking groups are great ways to meet people with the same interests. That first overnight is the toughest. It gets easier and easier after that. Now, I never feel more safe than when I'm in the woods. :-)

Teuchter
09-08-2020, 14:47
I hiked all over Scotland from early teens through to mid 20s, then got married & had 4 kids. Youngest 2 fledged the nest not long ago so old me is now off the dusty shelf & planning a nobo through hike for feb 2022, ill be 51 when I set off. Only been waiting 25yrs to do it ��

Odd Man Out
09-08-2020, 19:36
I hope you don't mind an odd man contributing in this forum, but a few years ago I was doing a section in SNP and ran into a group of four older woman on the trail. I'm 60-ish so when I say older mean probably well over 70. But each of them were equipped with what looked like state of the art brand new backpacking gear and we're all decked out in bright pastel hiking clothes. They were laughing, chatting, and having a grand time. They were by far the best looking and most inspiring group I have ever encountered. We chatted briefly and went our separate ways. I immediately regretted not asking if I could take their picture. It would have been quite a souvenir.

BlueRidgeGator
12-01-2020, 14:31
Thank you ladies. I'm just getting started at 48. I'm considering a thru hike in 2024. All kids will be out of high school and I'll be 52. :) I thought I'm probably the only one and crazy to try it. Nice to see I was wrong. :)

bettybadass
12-08-2020, 11:44
I have hiked off and on a little all my life, but didnt really long distance hike until my mid 30's. The trail called to me. I was just so tired of being on duty at work, at home, and for the organizations I volunteered for. I had to get away. It the AT was no less than 1/4 mile from where I group. It had called to me for awhile, but once I hit that tipping point I knew I had to go. Everyone thought I was crazy... they still do. But being in the wild and among people that appreciate it makes me feel free.