PDA

View Full Version : HH Hex fly measurement question

Big Dawg
12-13-2005, 22:00
I'm making my own hex fly for the HH hammock I'll be receiving w/in the next week,, & need to know a measurement. Usually a hexagon is 6 equal sides, but the HH hex fly doesn't seem to look exactly like a hexagon. The HH hex fly has 6 tie-out points,, 2 that go to trees & 4 that go to ground. I'm looking for the length on 1 side from 1 ground tie-out corner to the next ground tie-out corner. Thanks!!

hammock engineer
12-14-2005, 10:27
I'm looking into making a bigger fly for my HH also. My plan right now is to make a bigger square tarp, then pitch it on the diagonal just like the HH tarp and put it on it's own rope above the hammock.

This way I can have the tarp seperate of the hammock. This way I will not have to worry about tarp tension or setting up/taking down in the rain. Pitching on the diagonal will also only require 2 tie out points. Plus it will be easier to make.

Just what may work for me, haven't done it yet.

Seeker
12-14-2005, 11:47
big dawg,you could make yourself a scale model on graph paper, then trim the sides until you get something that looks almost right, then measure off the scale... if i remember my geometry right, the diameter of a perfect hex is 2x the length of one of it's sides... so for a hex 12 feet across, the sides would be 6 feet each... so if you shortened the 4 sides that touch the long points (head and foot), the tie out sides would be longer... i'd say 8' would do it... sketch it out on graph paper first, but i'm probably pretty close...

Footslogger
12-14-2005, 11:52
[quote=hammock engineer]I'm looking into making a bigger fly for my HH also. My plan right now is to make a bigger square tarp, then pitch it on the diagonal just like the HH tarp and put it on it's own rope above the hammock.
====================================
If you're going that route you might want to check out the JRB 8' square tarp. Seam is along the diagonal and you have approx 11' of coverage over the hammock. Bought one to replace the original diamond shaped fly shipped with my Hennessey (pre-asym) and it works well.

'Slogger

jlb2012
12-14-2005, 13:29
I'm looking into making a bigger fly for my HH also. My plan right now is to make a bigger square tarp, then pitch it on the diagonal just like the HH tarp and put it on it's own rope above the hammock.
====================================
If you're going that route you might want to check out the JRB 8' square tarp. Seam is along the diagonal and you have approx 11' of coverage over the hammock. Bought one to replace the original diamond shaped fly shipped with my Hennessey (pre-asym) and it works well.

'Slogger

The JRB 8' square tarp is good for the smaller HHs - I found it to be somewhat marginal for a HH Explorer Deluxe and I suspect it would be marginal for the other larger HHs also. I ended up getting a custom MacCat tarp made by Brian of Outdoor Equipment Supplier - the custom part was a longer ridge line - main thing I wanted was to be able to hang things from the hammock rope and still have them covered by the tarp so I got a MacCat with a 160 inch ridge line - I really like it.

Seeker
12-14-2005, 14:45
hmm... never thought of it from a 'longer ridgeline to hang stuff from' perspective... i just hang everything off the inside line, and long things, like my shoes, just hang down through the entry slit, which i then velcro shut around the laces... shoes stay dry, but don't muddy up the inside...