PDA

View Full Version : Is Indian Grave Gap Road passable year round by normal vehicles?

Charlocity2
01-18-2016, 18:36
I may be answering my own question. I drove to its intersection with Route 75, about 2 miles trail west of Unicoi Gap.

Just a tenth of a mile in in Indian Grave Gap Road, a pretty full stream (dare I say, a creek) was running across the road. Is that normal? It wasn't passable (at least today) in my low ground clearance, non-4 wheel drive car.

map man
01-18-2016, 19:18
Yes, that's normal. I drove across that stream in a minivan a few years ago and had no problem getting across. That was a fairly dry autumn, though, so the water level may have been lower than normal.

Charlocity2
01-18-2016, 19:41
Yes, that's normal. I drove across that stream in a minivan a few years ago and had no problem getting across. That was a fairly dry autumn, though, so the water level may have been lower than normal.

Thanks. Does Indian Grave Gap Road connect to another main road at its other end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

map man
01-19-2016, 09:28
Thanks. Does Indian Grave Gap Road connect to another main road at its other end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It connects with Tray Mountain Road right after Indian Grave Gap.

Trance
01-19-2016, 09:36
By the cheese factory site?

I camped there on my section and heard some crazy mountain natives off roading in the middle of the night.... shouting and hollering.

Gambit McCrae
01-19-2016, 09:42
By the cheese factory site?

I camped there on my section and heard some crazy mountain natives off roading in the middle of the night.... shouting and hollering.

Get any cheese?!!!! Thus is why road camping is a no no in my world.

Trance
01-19-2016, 10:53
It was my first section on the AT and I finished a 28mile day at almost dark there.

I didn't realize how close the road was.... the next morning I saw why they were screaming... they got their truck stuck in a pit of mud apparently. Some crazy older woman was cackling and it echoed through the hills.

I was just waiting to live the movie Deliverance though and slept with my knife in my hand hahah.

Uncle Joe
01-19-2016, 11:17
FWIW, I saw a Civic cross that creek once.

I parked at IGG and hiked to Dick's a couple of weeks ago. Even after a substantial bit of rain a day or two before, I was able to pass through that creek fairly easily.