PDA

View Full Version : Tent Sizes

hmlamar
01-18-2016, 21:46
My fiance and I are planning a thru-hike in 2017, and we are slowly purchasing equipment a little at a time. When getting a tent, what size should we get? Would a three-person tent fit us and both our packs?

Venchka
01-18-2016, 21:52
TarpTent StratoSpire 2. Calculate the protected square footage. Headroom of 45 inches. Two side doors. Two huge vestibules.
WIN. WIN. WIN.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

MuddyWaters
01-18-2016, 21:54
If shes a fiancee, will you be married by then as its over a year away.
Trail can really strain relationships for those not accustomed to hiking life.
If one quits, will the other too?

If you dont want to carry a 3p tent by yourself, get two solo tents. Or a solo+ and a solo. Chances are, one will quit or need to get off trail for some reason. Just a consideration. Maybe a UL 2p.

Feral Bill
01-18-2016, 22:15
I'll just mention that catalog/website floor plans with sleeping bags neatly arranged show Hobbit sized bags. Read and measure the actual specs.

And all the best on your planned marriage.

One Half
01-18-2016, 22:38
My fiance and I are planning a thru-hike in 2017, and we are slowly purchasing equipment a little at a time. When getting a tent, what size should we get? Would a three-person tent fit us and both our packs?

My husband and I brought in our packs, mats and sleeping bags to try out our first tent. Since the tent was set up in the store, we also asked after we had figured out our gear and selves would fit in it, if we could disassemble and reassemble it. The guy at the store thought we were a bit nuts but let us do it and we ended up buying a tent. So it all worked out.

I bought a solo tent a few years back and did the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shot
01-19-2016, 07:33
I carried a Tarptent Double Rainbow. For one, it was enormous. On trips with my wife, it is very comfortable for two with a little bit of extra room. Most tents advertised as "2 man" might actually sleep 2, but it would be awfully cramped. As others have said, check floor space details closely.

Venchka
01-19-2016, 09:05
MuddyWaters hit the nail on the head. The most versatile arrangement for 2 is each traveling self-contained, with the possible exception of the kitchen gear.
You really don't need to have your pack, etc. inside the sleeping area of the tent. Hanging your pack from the trekking pole supporting the tent is very convenient. The pack is off the ground, out of the mud. you can get to it from your private door.
Two doors is a huge advantage. You won't have to climb over your partner to enter/exit the tent. One door should always be sheltered from wind and rain.
Rectangular floors offer the most usable space. Tents that taper in all directions may have the same square footage, but much of it is not usable.
In the Solo+ category, The Solong 6 from Lightheart Gear is a 1.5 person tent. The Duo is huge inside. The TarpTent Rainbow and StratoSpire 1 are in the same class.
An interesting comparison of several 2 person tents.
http://www.anywhereathome.com/the-hunt-for-the-perfect-tarptent/
Good luck in your search.

Wayne

HooKooDooKu
01-19-2016, 10:10
As you look at tents, keep in mind that there is a broad range in what is considered a 1,2,3,... person tent. Some 2P tents make for tight quarters where it is impossible to even put 'large' size sleeping pads in the tent. Other 2P tents have lots of room for two, with a little left over for gear.

You also can not go by the size of tents listed in specifications. It seems that ALL tent manufactures quote sizes in where the tent pole hit the ground and not the usable space inside the tent. As an example, a tent I once considered for a 2P tent had a quotes width of 66". I use a 25" wide sleeping pad, and my boys each use 20" wide sleeping pad. So a tent quoted as 66" wide sounds like I should have had room. But when I looked at one setup in a store, it was impossible to get one large and two normal size sleeping pads in the tent... even alternating the directions of the pads to account for their 'mummy' shape to save space.

So as you look at tents, pay attention to size (because not all 2P tents are the same size) and subtract about 5"-6" from the specified size to get a estimate of actual usable space. Also watch out for the shapes of tents. Some web sites will only list a tent's width and length, but the width might not be the same for the whole length of the tent. The tent floor can be trapezoidal in shape. Some sites will list two widths for the tent (size at the widest and a second for the narrowest). But other sites will only list the widest measurement and won't even give a hit the floor shape is trapezoidal. So don't rely on the specs on a tent from just one web site.

Venchka
01-19-2016, 13:46
Another place where tents loose usable space in a hurry is sloping walls that impact your living space.
Look at a lot of tents. In person if possible. Unfortunately, the good cottage industry tent makers are at a disadvantage there. However, a real phone call can help answer questions in a hurry. Last week I sent an email to TarpTent with a question about the Scarp 1 and carbon poles. Henry Shires, the owner, called me and we had a great chat. I learned a lot in a few minutes that I would not have learned in several emails. By the way, Henry talked me out of the carbon poles for the Scarp 1. He saved me money and potential grief. I appreciated that.

Wayne

squeezebox
01-19-2016, 14:24
Just maybe if you can afford it? You might want a good 2-3 person tent when you travel together. And a nice solo+ for when you hike without your spouse.
Just thinking!!

Gambit McCrae
01-19-2016, 15:05
TarpTent StratoSpire 2. Calculate the protected square footage. Headroom of 45 inches. Two side doors. Two huge vestibules.
WIN. WIN. WIN.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I use this for myself, and other side for my gear. I honestly think that to have room for 2 people and to use gear comfortably inside that you need like a hogback. BUT, that's not realistic. Gotta kinda learn to use your vestibule for gear, and inside tent to be sleeping only. that's only IMO

bigcranky
01-19-2016, 15:10
So for two hikers I always recommend separate solo tents, EXCEPT in the case of committed romantic couples. Share a tent; you'll be happier. :)

We have two tents, a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, which is humongous and incredibly spacious on the inside -- it easily swallows all our gear and has held up to some monster thunderstorms. It's only about 42 ounces total, which isn't bad. The other tent is a Zpacks Hexamid Twin, which is much smaller on the inside -- room for us and our gear, but the packs live outside under the vestibule. (Which is fine, there is nothing in them anyway.) The advantage to the Zpacks is the total weight of ~21 ounces, though if I had to do it again I would get the Duplex - same weight, but two doors and two vestibules.

Three person tents can offer more room for gear, and more interior volume for hanging out in bad weather -- I would not want to hang out all day inside the Hex Twin with two people, though it makes a fine solo tent too. But three person tents are heavier and require more space to pitch, so it's a tradeoff.

As a committed couple, you'll have more to think about before and during your hike. I like to recommend an old publication, The Thru-Hiking Papers (http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html), written by an experienced pair of long distance hikers. There is a page on hiking as a couple (http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_couples.html), that might give you a few things to think about. Good luck and happy trails.

Mr. Bumpy
01-19-2016, 15:14
Think about a small lightweight tent/tarp tent and an 8 x 10 tarp. That way if you get separated each has a shelter, and often you will find that being able to pitch a tarp as a kitchen shelter or just being able to have a quick shelter available for mid-day thunderstorms is a good thing.

nsherry61
01-19-2016, 15:56
Think about a small lightweight tent/tarp tent and an 8 x 10 tarp. That way if you get separated each has a shelter, and often you will find that being able to pitch a tarp as a kitchen shelter or just being able to have a quick shelter available for mid-day thunderstorms is a good thing.
You took the words right out of my mouth (fingers?)

Taking a small but livable 2-person tent gives good shelter and light weight for one or two people that spend most nights together. Add a small tarp or in my case a poncho/tarp that can provide extra covered area if the weather is bad and provides split shelters if you decide to split up for a night here or there. Also, if one person drops off the trail, the remaining person can have a tent that is not unreasonable for a single person to carry.

burger
01-19-2016, 16:09
If shes a fiancee, will you be married by then as its over a year away.
Trail can really strain relationships for those not accustomed to hiking life.
If one quits, will the other too?

If you dont want to carry a 3p tent by yourself, get two solo tents. Or a solo+ and a solo. Chances are, one will quit or need to get off trail for some reason. Just a consideration. Maybe a UL 2p.

Oy, ignore this comment and Venchka's below. LOTS of couples, married and unmarried, have thru-hiked the trail together. I did the CDT with my fiancee (now wife), and we had a fine time together. You absolutely do not need separate gear. What you do need to do is come up with a plan for what will happen if one of you has to get off the trail. Will the other go on while the injured one heals? Will you both bag it? You can always get a cheapo one-person tent to use if one of you ends up doing a portion the trail solo. But it's way more efficient to get a two-person tent and split the weight.

burger
01-19-2016, 16:14

No, no, no. Don't carry needless weight--just hike together or close enough to meet up fairly quickly if need be. If it rains, you will have rain gear. You don't need a kitchen shelter because the AT already has a zillion shelters where you can cook.

To actually answer the OP's question instead of giving unwanted advice: you should be fine in a 2-person tent with a vestibule for stashing your packs. With all of the large and small manufacturers out there, you probably have over good 100 options. Personally, I would look for something 3 lbs. or under. Something with inner netting that can be set up alone is nice for warm, buggy nights. If you're thinking of using trekking poles, you can look into "non-freestanding" tents like those made by Tarptent or Six Moon Designs--these use your hiking poles as tent poles instead of having dedicated poles. This is a good option for saving weight.

colorado_rob
01-19-2016, 16:19
Oy, ignore this comment and Venchka's below. LOTS of couples, married and unmarried, have thru-hiked the trail together. I did the CDT with my fiancee (now wife), and we had a fine time together. You absolutely do not need separate gear. What you do need to do is come up with a plan for what will happen if one of you has to get off the trail. Will the other go on while the injured one heals? Will you both bag it? You can always get a cheapo one-person tent to use if one of you ends up doing a portion the trail solo. But it's way more efficient to get a two-person tent and split the weight.+1, my thoughts exactly. Marriage advice in a tent thread?

My wife and I ARE a couple precisely because of these sorts of activities (we met on a Kili climb). I couldn't imagine sleeping in separate tents on a BP trip.

This all being said, it sure is nice having plenty of space, I'd opt for 35 square feet minimum, and as has been said, nice steep tent sides for volume. And a decent vestibule. Right now my wife and I squeeze by in a Big Agnes FC2, no "tent fights" yet, but we do have to take turns doing anything in the tent. Real soon, for some planned LD hikes, we'll be springing for a 3-person, probably the BA FC3, under three pounds, 39 square feet, traditional double-wall, free standing.

nsherry61
01-19-2016, 16:39
FWIW: My brother and law and I (6'2" & 6'4") do just fine in Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, and because of the vertical side-walls (unlike the Fly Creek) we can both move around in it at the same time (sort of) if we sleep with our head at opposite ends of the tent.

Hosh
01-19-2016, 17:02
Another consideration is the type of sleepers. If both of you sleep on your backs like King Tut, then a 2 person tent will be fine. If you both toss and turn like a chicken on a rotisserie grill, then a 3 person would provide a better sleep environment. If you're in an environment with prolonged rain showers, then a tent with adequate headroom for 2 adults to sit comfortably might be important.

I think a comfortable, lightweight environment for sleeping is key element to successful trips. Some people can be comfortable on 1/8" pad in single hoop bivy laying on a granite boulder. Others may need a 48" tall tent with a 4" inflatable pad.

Which ever gives you and yours a restful, fulfilling sleep is the answer, especially on a long distance hike.

squeezebox
01-19-2016, 18:01
FWIW the poles for my Copper spur 2 weigh 1 lb. Personally I could settle for a hiking pole tent with step sides. But every once in a while the free standing part can be a big issue. The copper spur would not handle 2 people other than on 20" pads with gear in vestibules. The 3 is a few oz. more and about $100.
Maybe try sleeping together on a single twin mattress and see if you can handle the limited space.

HooKooDooKu
01-19-2016, 19:54
While others consider a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 to be fine for two people, I consider it a nice and roomy one man tent.
But then, I use a 'large' size sleeping pad because I got tired of my arms falling off the sides of a standard 20" wide pad.

The BA CS UL3 is only 1lb more than the BA CS UL2, I think it's worth the extra weight (8oz/person) for the extra space... and almost a requirement for two people if either or both of you use a 'large' (25" wide) sleeping pad. I was unable to get my 'large' pad and a standard size pad inside my Copper Spur UL2 without them overlapping.

BTW, I see the CampSaver currently has a 20% discount on Copper Spurs (http://www.campsaver.com/copper-spur-ul-2-tent-2-person-3-season).

Venchka
01-19-2016, 19:57
My money's still on the StratoSpire 2 from TarpTent.
2 person floor plan. 3 person floor plan. Lots of headroom. 2 doors & huge vestibules. Mesh or solid inner tent. Pitch the fly alone. Pitch the inner alone and entertain a small crowd. Light enough for one person to carry if/when needed.
As a matter of fact, my money will probably be down on one in the near future.

Have fun Y'all!

Wayne

Hosh
01-19-2016, 20:03
+1

I use a CS UL3 for 2 person and a CS UL4 for 3 people. I think they are great tents, very durable with easy entry and exit. I have had both in high wind, heavy hail storms above tree line and they held up very well. BA has great customer service and a very liberal warranty program.

The UL4 is on S&C for 45% off.

hmlamar
01-19-2016, 21:03
THANKS SO MUCH! This is exactly what I was looking for. I really just needed an answer concerning my original question.. So, we will keep an eye out for a 2-person tent with a vestibule for stashing packs (preferably under 3 lbs). We are planning on splitting the weight of the tent between us, anyways. However, we will consider shape and dimensions of the tent as well. That's all I really needed to know.

As colorado_rob said, we are not necessarily looking for relationship advice. This is a pure hiking question....We are planning on doing this hike TOGETHER. If one of us has to quit, then we will both quit. Simple as that.

nsherry61
01-19-2016, 21:28
. . . If one of us has to quit, then we will both quit. Simple as that.
Now that's just sad. . . oh yeah, your newly weds(ish).

Over the years, you will likely find, like many of us have, that, at times, it is wonderful to do your own things in support of each other's needs and dreams. Half the fun of doing a thru-hike with my wife would be making sure, that between us, we managed to succeed, even if one of us was forced off the trail with an injury and had to just play trail angel for the other for a while. . . or maybe a family emergency with one of our families required a few days or weeks of being off trail, the other one can keep hiking and keep the dream alive for the other to vicariously enjoy and rejoin later. Maybe I want to take a side trail up and along a ridge line while she wants to wander down the river valley and we can meet the next day after some little bit of inspiring alone time. There are lots of good healthy reasons to split up for small or large sections of a hike. It doesn't take much extra planning or gear to be prepared for such an unexpected event, and being prepared can help make transitions much smoother if they occur down the trail.

MuddyWaters
01-19-2016, 21:50
THANKS SO MUCH! This is exactly what I was looking for. I really just needed an answer concerning my original question.. So, we will keep an eye out for a 2-person tent with a vestibule for stashing packs (preferably under 3 lbs). We are planning on splitting the weight of the tent between us, anyways. However, we will consider shape and dimensions of the tent as well. That's all I really needed to know.

As colorado_rob said, we are not necessarily looking for relationship advice. This is a pure hiking question....We are planning on doing this hike TOGETHER. If one of us has to quit, then we will both quit. Simple as that.

Not relationship advice at all. Simple fact.
Stressful situations bring out the worst in interpersonal relationships.
Many couples have sucessfully hiked the trail together.
The trail has ended many relationships as well.

Everyone needs their own space sometimes.
Once youve been married you will discover this.

Thats hard to get sharing a tent all the time, for 6 months straight.

JohnG10
01-20-2016, 00:32
My wife and I do fine with a free standing 2-pole dome tent - with 1 door (old Sierra designs lightning tent).

The key things are vertical walls so both can dress or pack at the same time, a door that is HUGE so that 1 person can exit without waking the other, and a wide floor so there is room to move around without bumping when sleeping. This also provides room to stand a book up "next to you" on the floor when reading.

I've also found that I vastly prefer tents with 2 simple straight poles. Setting up (or packing up) a tent with 2 hubs that each have 5 arms radiating outward is very fiddly in comparison.

Ps: When hiking with my wife, I find it works best to split the weight in such a way that we both end up carrying around the same percentage of our respective body weights. This way we're both equally tired at the end of the day :)

Mr. Bumpy
01-20-2016, 00:37
We are planning on splitting the weight of the tent between us, anyways.

If you split your tent and then get separated for any number of reasons that you didn't plan then each of you are carrying a worthless 1/2 tent. Its best to keep your tent with one person. Divide gear elsewhere.

colorado_rob
01-20-2016, 08:51
[QUOTE=JohnG10;2034333]My wife and I do fine with a free standing 2-pole dome tent - with 1 door (old Sierra designs lightning tent). QUOTE]Fantastic tent, we still use our old SD Lightning for 1-2 night trips where weight is less of an issue. It's a little over a pound heavier than the BA fly creek, kinda split two ways, though like you and probably most, I carry the lion's share of common gear to better equalize pack/body weight percentages.

I differ on the tent-splitting thing, in the highly unlikely event that my wife and I get separated and can't find each other (never happened in countless outings), both the tent body and the tent fly would afford some overnight protection. the tent body floor is waterproof so can be rigged as a tarp, as can the tent fly. Ever forget your tent poles? We have! Not fun, but we managed to rig our tent into a sleep-worthy shelter without them.

burger
01-20-2016, 10:44
I differ on the tent-splitting thing, in the highly unlikely event that my wife and I get separated and can't find each other (never happened in countless outings), both the tent body and the tent fly would afford some overnight protection. the tent body floor is waterproof so can be rigged as a tarp, as can the tent fly. Ever forget your tent poles? We have! Not fun, but we managed to rig our tent into a sleep-worthy shelter without them.

+1. Another thing: one of you will be carrying the ground cloth which should be waterproof. In an emergency you can roll yourself up burrito-style in the groundcloth and will keep warm and dry (except from all the humidity your body produces).

I'm starting to suspect that some of the people commenting in this thread have never done a long-distance hike as part of a couple...

PS. Another tent to look into is the Six Moon Designs Haven (tarp + inner net), which is similar to the Tarptent Stratospire 2 but lighter. We LOVE ours.

swisscross
01-20-2016, 14:01
Not relationship advice at all. Simple fact.
Stressful situations bring out the worst in interpersonal relationships.
Many couples have sucessfully hiked the trail together.
The trail has ended many relationships as well.

Everyone needs their own space sometimes.
Once youve been married you will discover this.

Thats hard to get sharing a tent all the time, for 6 months straight.

This...
Love my wife dearly and cannot imagine not spending the rest of my life with her but there are days I don't even want to go home. Everyone needs their own space every now and again.
I cannot imagine living in a tent with her for an extended period of time.

If you are dead set on sharing a tent together, get a big one so you both can spread out and have your own, sort of, space.

4Days
01-20-2016, 18:10
First, gear is a very personal thing. The only correct answer is what feels right for you. I can share what my wife and I learned. My wife and I hike this last season on the AT and LT. About 400 miles, shakedown runs. I will be starting my Thur hike in early April. We started with a Hammock, then a trekking pole tent and ended with a freestanding tent. With two people our 2 hammocks with rigging was about 6lbs, minimum. That was too heavy, for me, so I went to a trekking pole setup, BA Scout plus. That was ok but I often bend my poles, making setup a hassle. We also realized that we do not like crawling in and out of the tent, constantly getting dirty.

So I then focused on a freestanding tent that was wide enough for two full sized people plus gear that we can stand up out of. I have learned that if gear does not work out I want to return it and get something else with out a hassle. So we purchased our gear thru two companies with great return policies. Since I had a BA before I narrowed it down to the Copper Spur UL2 popular on the trail. My only issue with the BA's is the very thin material, it can easily be punctured. For a few more oz's, and alot lot less $, I purchased a REI Quarter Dome 2. It is the same design as the BA but wider and thicker material so it should, hopefully stand up to the abuse that it will get.

I will be hiking with that tent, I could save 1 lb of weight by going to a Nemo Hornet 1p but by carrying this 2 person tent my wife can join me if she wants or not and I get the benefit of a nice living space it the wilds.

Like I said - try stuff via shakedown runs, you will find out quickly what works best for you.