PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65

garyp
01-18-2016, 22:04
Does any one have any intel on this bag. I Mainly hike in the Sierra's so a Bear can is required. I currently use a BVK 500 can.

I have heard some ups and downs with these packs. Does anyone have anything they can say good or bad about these bags. I am transitioning from a Gregory Baltro 75 due to massive weight loss and the new gregory baltoro packs don't fit well on me.

AO2134
01-18-2016, 22:17
Does any one have any intel on this bag. I Mainly hike in the Sierra's so a Bear can is required. I currently use a BVK 500 can.

I have heard some ups and downs with these packs. Does anyone have anything they can say good or bad about these bags. I am transitioning from a Gregory Baltro 75 due to massive weight loss and the new gregory baltoro packs don't fit well on me.

I bought the recently replaced Atmos 65. The new Atmos has a new design and is slightly heavier. I love the pack. Fits really well. Allows for ventilation along my back. Big enough and sturdy enough for my winter gear and heavier packs. It is a comfortable pack.

I am not a gear guy though. I own and have only used 2 packs. This Atmos and my REI Flash 62. My Atmos is my winter pack/longer trips since it handles the weight much better. Since I don't have much experience with other packs, I don't have a basis for comparison. That being said, I like the pack a lot.

Bird Dawg
01-18-2016, 22:56
Bought this pack last March and was very impressed with it initially. The frame does an excellent job of handling heavy loads and the AG system allows ample ventilation. But, I eventually returned it to REI.

It has an "Adjust-On-The-Fly" hip belt that is held to length using large Velcro strips. This allows a large range of adjustment on the belt as far as waist sizing goes. However, when I hike in warm weather here in Georgia, I sweat. A lot. The hip belt would get saturated with sweat. So, if I took the pack off and then put it back on - or just attempted to tighten the belt while hiking - the Velcro would "give" when I pulled the belt ends to tighten them up. So, the pack weight went straight to my shoulders. Even if you are not a heavy "sweater", you might experience this with heavy saturating rainfall...I don't know. But, that was annoying to say the least.

The hip belt has pockets on each side for storing items. Good luck getting much into them. I could barely squeeze my iPhone 5C into mine - even after packing them with tennis balls and trying to "stretch" them out a little.

Finally, I just decided I didn't want a pack that heavy. The Atmos AG 65 weighs around 4.5 pounds and I was trying to cut my base weight.

I completed a week long section hike this fall using my Granite Gear Crown VC 60 and I was pleased with it. However, I may purchase a ULA Catalyst and see if I like it more.

Of course, your mileage may vary. It is a large, comfortable pack and I really wanted to like the it after reading so many positive reviews on it. But, in the end, it just didn't work for me.

RangerZ
01-18-2016, 23:01
I bought the recently replaced Atmos 65. The new Atmos has a new design and is slightly heavier. I love the pack. Fits really well. Allows for ventilation along my back. Big enough and sturdy enough for my winter gear and heavier packs. It is a comfortable pack.

I am not a gear guy though. I own and have only used 2 packs. This Atmos and my REI Flash 62. My Atmos is my winter pack/longer trips since it handles the weight much better. Since I don't have much experience with other packs, I don't have a basis for comparison. That being said, I like the pack a lot.

I have an old style Osprey Atmos 65 and agree with all of the above. I like the fit and I think it handles weight well. A LW crowd complaint is its weight, 3 pounds 9 ounces by the book. A common complaint is that the hip pockets are hard to access, which I agree with. I've added a strap and buckle across the front tie down straps to carry my Z-Lite Sol pad vertically. I like the pockets in the top lid and the zippered bottom compartment.

soilman
01-18-2016, 23:01
I started my AT thru with an Osprey Exos but it started to disintegrate by the time I got to NH. I was able to exchange it for an Atmos 65 at EMS near Hanover. I liked the Exos but was uncertain about its reliability so I chose the Atmos as a replacement. The Atmos was a larger and heavier pack than I wanted but it fit and carried well. I had no issues with it and feel it is a decent pack, especially if you carry a large volume and a fair amount of weight. I like all the pockets and the ventilation. The mesh hip belt pockets are susceptible to wear.

poolskaterx
06-20-2016, 18:14
I have the Atmos 65 and have used it for the past 3 out of 4 years; great pack, super comfy, carries a ton of weight, lifetime warranty. Hate the belt pockets, bottle pockets I cant seem to use (maybe you have to be double jointed?) and it is a little on the heavy side as far a trying to keep a light load. Plenty of room for your bear canister, I have used the bv 450 and the old GIANT garcia yellow can. My first year with this pack I had to help a friend with a 103 fever off of Whitney and loaded my pack to nearly 65lbs (not recommended) but honestly it was not uncomfortable. The adjustments allow for a big range of body types. I purchased a Zpacks Arc Zip a little over a year ago and now use that almost exclusively but I still keep the Osprey as my back-up/loaner/bushwhacking pack; feels good every time I put it on too.

nsherry61
06-20-2016, 23:03
My experience with the Atmos AG is that it doesn't do too well with loads over about 30-35 lbs. The old Atmos was great, but the new AG suspension, although super comfy with light loads, doesn't support the load well when the load weight increases. So, if you are only carrying 30 lbs, the Atmos AG 65 should be great. If you expect to haul more weight than that, and you like Osprey, I'd recommend looking into one of their non-AG packs.

-Rush-
06-21-2016, 01:47
I've comfortably carried 42lbs in the Atmos 64 AG. Plenty of room in the pack, and the features are useful. As a solo hiker carrying my own gear, I didn't need the brain, but it's a great option. Bottom panel access is nice. Adjusts well to my frame and overall I loved it. It's about 2lb heavier than I need solo, so I only use it for long winter excursions and carrying extra family gear.

CJOttawa
06-21-2016, 08:21
My experience with the Atmos AG is that it doesn't do too well with loads over about 30-35 lbs. The old Atmos was great, but the new AG suspension, although super comfy with light loads, doesn't support the load well when the load weight increases. So, if you are only carrying 30 lbs, the Atmos AG 65 should be great. If you expect to haul more weight than that, and you like Osprey, I'd recommend looking into one of their non-AG packs.

I recently went on a tear testing out packs and came to the same conclusion.

The AG suspension is great for ventilation but it will sag under heavy load and it puts the pack farther from your back; with a heavy load (albeit perhaps not ideally packed), I found the Atmos made me feel like I was falling over backwards.

Same load (30-40lbs) in a Volt, Xenith, or Aether was more stable. With a light load, I'm sure the Atmos is fine but if you're packing that light, you might look at a smaller pack. (Atmos 50AG? Exos line?) I would not go by the "load rating" on the Osprey spec sheets; comfort range is much lower.

togabandit
06-22-2016, 19:36
I bought this pack this spring after staging my old pack 12 miles down a gravel road. I love this pack, just last weekend did 27 hard miles at Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas in 95 degree weather. Only a few issues, hip pockets are only for things you will never need, ie keys, cell, and such. Old pack was frame less and sweat factory. This one breaths very well, and I am very stocky built so the belt has infinite adjustment, and I have yet to have a slip issues. Carried 43 start weight lbs with no sag or any problems. Buy it if you like it, ALL packs have deficiency issues, this one is a great all round pack.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

togabandit
06-22-2016, 19:37
I bought this pack this spring after dragging my old pack 12 miles down a gravel road. I love this pack, just last weekend did 27 hard miles at Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas in 95 degree weather. Only a few issues, hip pockets are only for things you will never need, ie keys, cell, and such. Old pack was frame less and sweat factory. This one breaths very well, and I am very stocky built so the belt has infinite adjustment, and I have yet to have a slip issues. Carried 43 start weight lbs with no sag or any problems. Buy it if you like it, ALL packs have deficiency issues, this one is a great all round pack.