PDA

View Full Version : Down sleeping bag options

cheaphiker
12-13-2005, 22:00
Hi, I'm new to backpacking and to this forum, so forgive me if the following sounds far fetched to all you experienced hikers out there!
I was thinking of buying a 600+ fill down comforter from a major discount chain and making my own sleeping bag to save $$, ##, and space.
any suggestions or am I simply :jump nuts

Just Jeff
12-13-2005, 22:49
I don't know the numbers, but I suspect that a 600fp bag would weigh about the same as a quality synthetic. IMO, you'd be better off watching campmor, rei outlet and ebay for a decent 700+ bag on sale.

JMO, though - I'm a sucker for homemade projects, so let us know how it works out if you try it.

cheaphiker
12-13-2005, 23:16
thanks, I was just curious if this would be the easy way of making a sleeping bag or just used as quilt, but after searching through the forums it seems to be a lot more complicated to achieve this judging from the construction process (baffles, stitching, etc.):-? .I'm also thinking of what the temperature rating would be for a store bought down quilt compared to outdoor use quilts and sleeping bags

Just Jeff
12-13-2005, 23:50
Quilts really aren't that hard to make, even down ones with baffles. Working with the down can be frustrating, but it's not technical or anything...a little bit of effort can get you a really warm down quilt for about $120.

hammock engineer
12-14-2005, 10:20
Be careful about buying a cheap comforter. I looked into this. The ones that I found there were not that expensive, where mainly feathers.

cheaphiker
12-14-2005, 11:47
thanks to all that responded!