PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heading SOBO around June 6th 2016?

Reface
01-19-2016, 15:03
Hey guys,

Me and two of my buddies will be starting a SOBO thru-hike around June 6th, 2016. We aren't 100% hard set on that date yet and wanted to see if anyone else had interest in meeting up around then and potentially hiking part (if not all) of the trail together. If anyone is interested in meeting up or hiking with us let me know and we can start planning everything out way ahead of time.

Casey & Gina
01-19-2016, 17:37
We will be leaving around that time. No firm dates yet but June 1st has been a loose goal.

Reface
01-21-2016, 21:07
That's great to hear! We have considered June 1st as well, but my friend is getting out of the Air Force at the end of May and we're not exactly sure what date so we wanted to give a couple days of buffer just so he has a minute to decompress before hiking for 6 months. That said, even if we don't end up starting together I'm sure we'll meet up at some point since we'll be leaving at a similar time. I'm not sure how far along you are in your planning and gear list and such, but as it gets closer perhaps we can share with each other what we're taking and compare notes/tips we've come across during our individual preparation. I'll be checking these forums regularly and probably making more threads as I get all my gear so I look forward to talking to you and possibly meeting up out on the trail.

Lauriep
01-21-2016, 23:36
Reface, consider registering your start date with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) when you finalize your plans. There are a few perks for you (a special 2016 A.T. hangtag for your pack, free ATC membership and the benefits that go with that, if you want it). Registering also helps out other hikers -- and trail managers and volunteers -- by providing better statistics.

In the meantime, you can view the charts showing the number of those who registered for each day (separate ones for northbound, southbound, and 2 categories of flip-floppers). They're updated twice weekly at www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration/2016-thru-hiker-registration-charts (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration/2016-thru-hiker-registration-charts).

You might also consider a flip-flop, starting northbound from, Pawling, New York (accessible by train) or at Bear Mountain, New York (a beautiful spot on the Hudson River, just a few miles from West Point, accessible by bus, but is pretty crowded). More info about these options is posted at www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative.

Laurie P.
ATC

Slo-go'en
01-22-2016, 00:24
Seriously consider Laurie's suggestion of the Pawling, NY start. Believe me, hiking in Maine in June isn't the best idea. The attrition rate is really high, with many not even finishing the 100 mile wilderness.

Starting in NY builds you up to handle the difficult NH and Maine trails and gets you there at a more congenial time of year. Plus you qualify as a real thru hiker when you reach Baxter, allowing climbing Kathadin without doing all the registration things before hand.

Hiker6301
01-22-2016, 01:18
I am planning a so/bo but don't have a start date. I work for a politician and it all depends if his challenger qualifies. If all goes well I'll be starting in either June or July. I'm still considering a flip flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.hiker63.com

Hiker6301
01-22-2016, 01:20
Reface, consider registering your start date with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) when you finalize your plans. There are a few perks for you (a special 2016 A.T. hangtag for your pack, free ATC membership and the benefits that go with that, if you want it). Registering also helps out other hikers -- and trail managers and volunteers -- by providing better statistics.

In the meantime, you can view the charts showing the number of those who registered for each day (separate ones for northbound, southbound, and 2 categories of flip-floppers). They're updated twice weekly at www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration/2016-thru-hiker-registration-charts (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration/2016-thru-hiker-registration-charts).

You might also consider a flip-flop, starting northbound from, Pawling, New York (accessible by train) or at Bear Mountain, New York (a beautiful spot on the Hudson River, just a few miles from West Point, accessible by bus, but is pretty crowded). More info about these options is posted at www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative.

Laurie P.
ATC

Great info you provided. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.hiker63.com

HDLV
01-22-2016, 09:23
My partner and I are also planning to start June 1st. Sound like there could be a nice little starting group! already 8 hikers registered.

Reface
01-27-2016, 17:33

You might also consider a flip-flop, starting northbound from, Pawling, New York (accessible by train) or at Bear Mountain, New York (a beautiful spot on the Hudson River, just a few miles from West Point, accessible by bus, but is pretty crowded). More info about these options is posted at www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative).

Laurie P.
ATC

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll have to look into the flip flop option as I'm not 100% sure how that works.

Casey & Gina
01-27-2016, 18:08
That's great to hear! We have considered June 1st as well, but my friend is getting out of the Air Force at the end of May and we're not exactly sure what date so we wanted to give a couple days of buffer just so he has a minute to decompress before hiking for 6 months. That said, even if we don't end up starting together I'm sure we'll meet up at some point since we'll be leaving at a similar time. I'm not sure how far along you are in your planning and gear list and such, but as it gets closer perhaps we can share with each other what we're taking and compare notes/tips we've come across during our individual preparation. I'll be checking these forums regularly and probably making more threads as I get all my gear so I look forward to talking to you and possibly meeting up out on the trail.

We are flexible with the date, but as of now, June 1 is the target. We just registered... I have a gear list but it's still volatile...currently I am doing winter overnight trips and filling in cold weather gaps, but I think I'm pretty well set for the warmer times. Still need to arrange for how to swap out gear while on the trail and what exactly to use when, but we hope to have a collection of everything we could need at the ready to avoid unexpected gear expenses once we start. People say southbound thrus are hard but many who have done it say otherwise and I think the key to any long-distance hike is mental fortitude and willingness to adapt and take time when necessary. Certainly if you want to carry the lightest pack possible and have the easiest & most comfortable time out there a flip-flop is the way to go, but that's not my motivation for hitting the trail. I want diverse conditions, challenges, and to have to adapt and sometimes be patient as I go more. I don't expect to carry less than 45 pounds at any point, though that said this is because I will be carrying the majority of gear for two. These forums are great but definitely try to get some gear and get out there on weekends at least wherever you are and test it out! I have made a lot of changes from what I originally thought was my "ideal" gear list. Whatever you decide, good luck and hope to see you at some point on the trail!

Whiskey_Richard
04-07-2016, 01:10
I'm starting sobo July 7 trying to avoid black flys. Hiking by myself.

toogariver
04-10-2016, 13:42
Me and one other are starting SOBO on June 6. I've seen a lot of people say they are starting in early June. We'll have our own little bubble heading south lol

SamMcgee
04-10-2016, 15:42
Myself and a buddy are starting our SOBO thru on june 2-3rd. heard the first was a pretty busy day to start, and the weekend is always busy. figured Thursday might be a safe bet. really considering hiking in on the IAT from canada, but the border crossing is such a hassle with only a backpack and a loose time frame to return :/ Dear border patrol: I'm not homeless!, I'm hiking!

denimlabels
04-10-2016, 22:59
I will be up in Baxter between June 28th and July 8th. Im gonna bring along my pack and a positive attitude. Probably some other things as well. My plan is to bang out 25 mile days at the start, then drop down to 13 miles per day after the 2nd day if I can make it that long. Only time will tell!:sun

chiefduffy
04-11-2016, 06:26
..uh, I hope you're joking. 25 mile days? You will not have enough time to climb Katahdin and hike out of the park if that s your plan. It takes most hikers 8 - 12 hours to climb Katahdin from Katahdin Stream Campground and back. That's why it is imperative you have a campsite for the night of your climb. It will be the toughest 10.4 miles of your thru.

chiefduffy
04-11-2016, 06:55
SoBos please call Old Man at the AT Lodge in Millinocket. He has been doing this a long time, and he has the data you need.
Also, if you plan to start in early June, plan to hike in a bug jacket, like a headnet but will cover your arms and hands.

appompa255
05-21-2016, 10:28
Are you doing a SoBo section hike? Another guy and I are starting at Dickey Gap, VA the 3rd week of June. Hiking for about a week.

appompa255
05-21-2016, 10:30
I will be up in Baxter between June 28th and July 8th. Im gonna bring along my pack and a positive attitude. Probably some other things as well. My plan is to bang out 25 mile days at the start, then drop down to 13 miles per day after the 2nd day if I can make it that long. Only time will tell!:sun

25 mile days? Please let us know how that goes.