PDA

View Full Version : Logistics of getting to the AT (GA)

DoPandasRead
01-19-2016, 21:25
Hello,
So I have been planning my 2017 AT trip for a while now and I am just curious on how people actually get to the trail. I live in central Ohio and I will be taking a Greyhound to Gainesville, GA and walking to one of the hotels that are about a mile from the station. My question is how do I get from the hotels in Gainesville to Amicalola? I know there are cabs that cost <$100 and there is Ron’s Appalachian Trail Shuttle; however are there any other ways that are financially responsible. Don’t want to brake the bank just getting to the trail. If this is already answered somewhere my apologies. Thanks in advance!

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2016, 23:04
There's this option that many say is excellent http://hikerhostel.com/lodging/thru-hiker-special/

Slo-go'en
01-20-2016, 00:51
The hiker Hostel is your best option and eliminates the need to stay at Gainesville. They will come pick you up, spend the night at their place, give you a hearty breakfast the next morning and take you to your choice of starting points (approach trail or parking lot near summit of Springer) all for less then what you'll pay for a motel room in Gainesville or at least not much more.

bigcranky
01-20-2016, 09:00
+ on The Hiker Hostel. Make your reservation a year in advance. At THH you'll get a decent bunk, a great breakfast, and the company of other starting thru-hikers the night before you begin. It can make for a nice evening.

This also opens up some other travel options, such as flying to Atlanta instead of riding the dog.

Trance
01-20-2016, 09:37
Fly to Atlanta, take MARTA to North Spring station (about 30m ride). Hiker Hostel has a special... they will pick you up and give you a night for like $85... it's great deal and they are good people.

DoPandasRead
01-20-2016, 09:44
Well that sums it up! I will be looking into the Hiker Hostel later today. Thanks everyone! I think I might keep this thread running with a Logistics of the AT theme, the questions I will tend to overlook while planning my trip.